The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar
1 Exchange Place
Worcester, MA 01608Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.1nichexchange.com/
- Phone: 5084599090
- Hours of Operation:
The Citizen: Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, CLOSED SUNDAY The People's Kitchen: Wednesday & Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Steve Champagne
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We provide different sized spaces to accommodate parties of 20-150
- Private Party Contact: Debra Covino 5084599090
- Entertainment: The Patio and Speakeasy feature live acts that change on the weekends.
A word from The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar
The People's Kitchen of The Citizen is about hand crafted artisanal products prepared by our chefs for the people. We buy, butcher and utilize whole animal with our in house charcuterie and dry aging regimens. We are also committed to locally produced and grown products, as we celebrate food as it was intended to be consumed. The People's Kitchen of The Citizen is a revolution of food, drink and conversation and will not be televised. Vive la Food! Dining is available upstairs in The People's Kitchen Wednesday through Saturday with an ever-changing menu focused on seasonal products. You may also dine with us at our wine bar, which offers a full menu, including our Signature TPK steaks, with a focus on artisinal cheeses and chocolates. Outdoor Patio seating is available and heated and covered during colder months. PLEASE let us know where you would like to sit when you make your reservation in the "Special Request" box. Thank You.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Worcester ›
The People’s Kitchen & Citizen Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (99)special occasion (75)notable wine list (66)romantic (61)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (41)vibrant bar scene (34)hot spot (21)late-night find (20)great for outdoor dining (13)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great drink and food selectionBecksterDined on 5/13/2014Met up with a group of friends for a going away dinner celebration and would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone! The wine list was wonderful and the food was tasty. We all had a wonderful time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How Disappointing!SarahLDined on 5/11/2014We went to the People's Kitchen for dinner on Mother's Day. The place was a ghost town, yet it took a while for our server to approach the table...to bring my drink, for our appetizer to arrive... And no sooner were we done w/our appetizer than our main courses arrived. It seemed like the staff was lethargic & in slo-mo. Dragging their feet. We felt the menu selection wasn't that great & was a little on the scattered side. Sadly, both my son & I were disappointed in our food -- we both felt that the cooks had gone waaaay overboard with the fig jam and that it dominated the dish. The edges of my son's sandwich were burned. He didn't even finish it. All in all, a disappointing experience, esp on Mother's Day. I'm not sure we'll go back.
- waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014We had a great evening despite how slow it was to recieve our food. The service was great our waitress apologized several times on our wait for the food. We finished a bottle of red wine before we recieved our dinner. We had reservations for 830 we had a drink at Citizens while waiting got seated around 9 & didnt eat until after10. The food was worth the wait. We will probably try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food for reasonable priceasianfoodieDined on 5/10/2014It is not a cheap place, but for the price it has really great food. Everything is done well, from the fillet mignon to kid's meal chick finger. Surprised to such a good place in a popular location right next to DCU center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointingMurphy09VIPDined on 5/9/2014People's Kitchen and Wine Bar is one of my favorite eateries for a very good reason; they never disappoint me. Food choices, value for the money spent, service and ambiance are always top notch. This restaurant could compete with the best that Boston has to offer and its so close in Worcester. Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- great food, not their best servicesammie4203Dined on 5/7/2014The only complaint would be me made a reservation for 730 and stood in the front of the restaurant waiting to be sat for over 5 minutes, while the phone rang several times and no one answered it. once we were so that it was almost 15 minutes until we were able to order. the food was amazing, as usual. The service was just out of the ordinary, because every other time we have been there it was great. We will go back, and still recommend a restaurant to others and hope that they were just having an off night last night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A loooong waitLitlady111Dined on 5/5/2014Food was good, but the service was extremely slow. It took 20 minutes to get drinks, another 30 to get our apps, and another 45 for entrees. The two guys working the bar were also serving. The place wasn't even that crowded. The charcuterie platter was fantastic though.Special Features:
- Love this place, but off nightES17Dined on 5/3/2014This is one of my favorite restaraunts, but Saturday night was not their best night. We didn't get the table I had requested even though it was open. I happened to have a groupon and was told I couldn't use it on Saturday night. Food here is always fresh, delicious, and changes each month. I had a great glass of wine but had to wait over ten minutes for drinks. I will definitely be back, but hopefully things will be back to their usual level of delicious and all around awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service greatly improvedmikeandjaneDined on 5/2/2014The food has always been great at People's Kitchen. Unfortunately, the service has had its ups and downs. This visit was a big UP for the service. We ate downstairs in the bar Friday night and our waiter was the best we've ever had at this restaurant (I wish I could remember his name!). Anyway, here's to hoping management has finally gotten its act together in training the wait staff.Special Features:
- Loved iteatiVIPDined on 5/2/2014Cool atmosphere, amazing food and service was as good as it gets. Ask for Carlos to wait on you!Special Features:
- Great foodYummlyDined on 4/25/2014The atmosphere is quaint and romantic. The food is just awsome. We had a cheese and sausage platter, the fried duck wontons, pea soup, a sirloin steak, a filet mignon, and finished with the blueberry lavender creme brûlée and the sorbet. We have no complaints over the food, it was all phenomenal. Website advertises a monthly specials menu. There was no monthly specials menu when we arrived :/ there is also lack of parking unless you valet. My fiancé refuses to let any valet driver park his car (he used to work for valet park of America) therefore we had to drive around for 15 mins looking for parking or pay $10+. Prices reflect the quality and originality of food, so we probably wouldn't come here more than once or twice a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedKarmaDined on 4/19/2014Service was slow. While he was very nice, our waiter forgot to bring a wine and a coffee. And, he asked if I wanted anchovies on my Caesar salad....I said no....there were anchovies on my salad. Food was fine, nothing great. Appreciated free valet parking and fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Always ImpressedbobbubskiDined on 4/19/2014I have been to the Citizen/People's Kitchen several times now for dinner. Each time the menu selection and service has proven to be exquisite. The filet mignon is easily on my top 5 of all time. Certainly a Best of Worcester and a must for those in the hunt for the excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- DeliciousWooDinerDined on 4/12/2014Went to the Citizen for the first time on a Saturday night. The table was ready immediately at the time of our reservation and wait staff we're courteous and friendly. Casual but classy atmosphere in a refurbished building with lots of exposed brick, making for a very comfortable setting. Somewhat of a busy night, but each course was on time and prepared perfectly. Duck wonton appetizer, Asian style yellow fin tuna for main entree, and sherbet for dessert. All absolutely top notch. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a great restaurantSusanDined on 4/12/2014This is a great restaurant , we have been 3 times now and enjoy it, would recommend this to my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mathewmduffy84Dined on 4/11/2014It was my first time dinning here, the food and wine were really good. I had the dry aged sirloin and my fiance had the filet Mignon, we shared a bottle of Llai pinot noir, yum!. Everything was cooked perfectly. I did note it was my fiance's birthday, but the wait staff didn't acknowledge the fact. kind of disappointing considering the occasion. They have a friendly valet staff, always a plus. I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014Was meeting a friend I hadn't seen since Nursing School, about 14 years, she is from Leominster and wanted to meet in Worcester, since it is halfway between her home and mine. There are so many restaurants to choose from, however, I opted for this one because I have dined here several times and have always had a wonderful time. We met upstairs at The Peoples Kitchen because it is quiet, service is wonderful, food is outstanding with so many options to choose from. After we were finished eating, we went downstairs to the bar and had cocktails. From the minute we arrived at the restaurant with valet service, to hostess, waitress, food, drinks were all exceptional!! Do yourself a favor and make a reservation here, you will be happy you did!!Special Features:
- Stellar, as alwaysOBLIODined on 4/9/2014The food at People's never ceases to amaze, and they obviously think great service is important. I've never had a bad meal here. Oh, and the lavender blueberry creme brulee is out of this world!!Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2014We have been to a few other restaurants from this group and they have been ok. TPK was very good. We sat in the bar area by choice. Service was excellent food was cooked perfectly. Wife and kids loved their dessert sampler tray!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will visit again!FranksDined on 3/29/2014Went to this restaurant because we were having difficulties finding another reservation on a Saturday night. We were presently surprised with the service and the delicious meal. The only drawback was three out of four of us did not enjoy the appetizer - a duck won-ton. It seemed to be overdone and was more of a pate consistency. The steaks were cooked to our taste and everyone enjoyed the wine selection paired with our meals, as well as the bottle selected. The dessert was delightful - a blueberry tart. Next time I would request to sit in the other dining room as the ambiance appeared to offer better experience. The room we were in was drab and tired. The waitress was very helpful and checked in with us regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find.PinkLadyDined on 3/29/2014We've never eaten in Worcester and found them online We were going to the hockey game. Great choice, good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLindaVIPDined on 3/27/2014We celebrated a special birthday here on a Thursday night. The menu is relatively small compared to other places, but it is very creative and more than met everyone's needs. great drink choices and phenomenal sampler dessert offering and the bread pudding out of this world. We had requested via open table to make it special and people's kitchen delivered. They came out with the beautiful and delicious dessert sampler with a candle. A real gem in downtown Worcester. Delightful!Special Features:
- Can't miss with People's Kitchen!cheezfanaticDined on 3/22/2014We've been to this restaurant at least 7 times now, and it's always an excellent meal! The cheese and meat selection is always first class and we've found some of our now favorites here. Food is consistently cooked to perfection and while service had been a little slow in the past, we found it to be outstanding on this Saturday night with our waitress Christy. The menu has a fantastic variety of specialties, but this our go to restaurant for steak. The signature steak sauce is the ONLY sauce I've ever used-simply amazing. The french fries and mashed potatoes have a wonderful truffle added to them which is heaven. Add to all this ample portion size, free valet parking and the bottom line is that this place is really hard to beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and fun night out!BoopdeedeeDined on 3/15/2014My husband and I ate here based on a friend's recommendation and wanted a "grown-up" place to try since our kids were with a sitter. We were not disappointed. Their cheese and charcuterie selection are amazing! The assembly of the cheese plate is inspired and pleasing to the eye without feeling too formal. We both got the filet (medium rare) and they were cooked to perfection. The demi-glaze was divine. I also enjoyed two delicious and unique cocktails from the drinks menu. Not a great beer selection but they are obviously more well known for their wine menu, which was extensive. Several flights to choose from, and every menu item had a wine pairing to go with it. Overall, a great experience and I look forward to dining here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphere and unique menuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014My husband and I have been to The Citizen before but this time we dined upstairs at The People's Kitchen. The menu was similarly unique but had more refined dinner options as opposed to lighter fair. We highly recommend the Chef's board - the cheese selection is fantastic. The service was impeccable as well -friendly, knowledgable, and prompt. . We will most definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!KathrynDined on 3/14/2014I have been to this restaurant a couple times and am never disappointed!Special Features:
- Our fav spotHeatherDined on 3/8/2014My husband and I love it here. Its our favorite restaurant. We loved it so much, we had our wedding reception there. Great food! The best in Worcester! We go back as often as possible.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014Started with extremely poor valet service - horribly understaffed for a Saturday night. Half hour wait to park - ended up being late for our reservation and parking the car myself. Service was slow and restaurant was only about 2/3 full, despite telling them that we were now in a rush to attend a show due to the valet delay. We were ready to order when they finally poured the water, and then they didn't show back up with the drinks for a while later. Filet Mignon was overcooked for all three that we ordered and sides were boring. Osso Bucco was very good.
- pretty uninspiredericaJBVIPDined on 3/6/2014I had eaten at Citizen a few times, always been ok. Came here with my husband during "restaurant week" promotion, before we headed to a concert at DCU center. This was bad. Service was spotty, a little slow, and just plain weird. But the food is where I take issue. Soup served lukewarm; gnocchi were shockingly heavy, laden with a fatty sauce - I ate two (literally, two) and had to set it aside. dessert was lemon sorbet that barely tasted of lemons and a peanut-chocolate pretzel bread pudding - both were just bland. and the "pretzel" refers to some store bought pretzel sticks thrown on top. The upshot - it was about 25 bucks a head for dinner. but I barely ate, so it was still a waste.Special Features:
- Great night out with the girlsGilreignVIPDined on 3/5/2014We had a great time - interesting cocktails, good wine, excellent food! What more can you ask! Interesting restaurant week menu. Potato leek soup was excellent. Fennel crusted salmon was a great dish. Steaks were also well received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekKibbeeDined on 3/5/2014We looked at all the participating restaurant menus for restaurant week. The People's Kitchen was the most appealing. It was delicious, as always! The service was impeccable!!! The wine list is quite extensive. The People's Kitchen remains one of our favorite restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but waiter was awful.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/3/2014I've been to tpk/ the citizen many times but this particular night our waiter was simply terrible. It was like it was a chore to tend to our table. Our orders were wrong it took 45 minutes to get drinks etc.Special Features:
- Great for dinner and drinksL02118VIPDined on 3/1/2014We got a table prior to a show at DCU. Great location for that and not packed as I had expected. As other reviewers have noted, though, although our app and first course were well-timed, we waited about an hour for our entree to come. Some of the food better than other dishes. The mushroom/leek soup was a standout. Tuna tartar was ok. Steak was good. Fish dishes good. Dessert was delicious. Wine pairings were very good as well. However, sine the entree didn't come for a long time, we had already drank our "pairing" for the entree and had to order another glass. Maybe that's what they count on? All in all, good enough for us to come back after the show for cocktails in the bar. Great choice for dinner and after-show!Special Features:
- The steaks were overcookedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/1/2014The steaks were overcooked and the service was very slow. It took more than 20 minutes after we were seated to be offered water and another 20 to be offered bread. Most disappointing was that the stakes were overcooked by about two levels. My girlfriend asked for her filet mignon medium rare and it came back medium well. The steaks were $30, but the quality was what one would expected from Texas Longhorn's.
- Such a shameLynneVIPDined on 3/1/2014This was not my first time to TPK, but probably my last. Worcester restaurant week and a show at the DCU spelled disaster. They HAD to know that they were going to be busy. We waited 45 minutes between apps and our entree. The couple beside us was celebrating a birthday with show tickets and dinner. They were seated at 6:30 and left at 7:55 having only gotten their apps. When they were getting ready to leave the waiter asked if they would like their meal " to go". Seriously? Poor girl was so frustrated. We saw a few other diners complaining and having to leave. And the manager, Shane, was no where to be found. Finally when we complained he came to our table and said the kitchen was real busy.??? You know the capacity of your restaurant.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014We were going to Worcester to see the Michael Jackson Immortal at the DCU center. We purchased a groupon for this restaurant and made an reservation about 2 weeks in advanced. But, we were seated next to the bathrooms! Is that because we were using a groupon? We arrived about 6:05 PM for our reservation. We order a total of 3 drinks, had 1 salad. But by 7:40 PM we were still waiting for our entrees! Our show started at 8 PM so we told our server that we had to go. Did not used our coupons. Paid for our drinks (they let the salad go!) The manager was told but we never saw or spoke to him. Very disappointed in the restaurant and that the manager never came to our table! It is a good thing that the show was great!
- Nice surprisemonicaDined on 3/1/2014We went to Citizen for the first time this weekend and it was a -pleasant surprise. The food was delicious and we will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came for dinner and drinksL02118VIPDined on 3/1/2014This is a great location if you're going to a show or something at DCU. We came to town for a show and I got reservations for dinner. As some reviewers have said, the service is a bit slow, but it was ok. Our reservation was at 5:30, we ordered a starter and their prix fixe, so we got the starter and the first course pretty well-paced, but the entree didn't come out until about 7:30. We made the show at 8pm, but I would think they would want to turn over tables quicker than that! Food was good, not outstanding, but solid. The mushroom leek soup was a standout. We actually came back after the show for drinks. Sat downstairs in the bar. Nice atmosphere and knowledgeable bartenders. I would recommend it, bottom line.Special Features:
- A not so good experienceRobertaC72Dined on 3/1/2014The waitress was friendly and knowledgeable and helpful about their menu. All the food we ate was very good. We had a small appetizers at 6:15. At 7:00 the waitress notified us that the kitchen was running behind, we told her that we needed to catch the 8:00 show that was at the nearby theatre. She came back 5 minutes later with appetizers. At 7:50 (almost an hour later) the waitress announced us that the kitchen "had dropped the ball", she apologized and said that there were a lot of people waiting for their orders and that ours were not even close to be ready... We asked for the bill and we were charged for everything we ate, not a little discount, not a gift card to have us back, nothing!! No apology from the manager. We left speechlessSpecial Features:
- 2nd Timer2ndTimerDined on 2/28/2014This was our 2nd visit and we enjoyed it as much as the first time. We just had a cheese plate, apps, and drinks, but everything was wonderful. This place just makes a good night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.