888 Main St.
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ilcapricciowaltham.com/
- Phone: 7818942234
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Richard Barron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Il Capriccio offers a number of options for small private parties. We have a downstairs room that seats up to 10 guests, a back room that seats up to 12 guests and a front room that accommodates up to 30 guests. We normally reserve private parties on weekday evenings only.
- Private Party Contact: Nahatai Harris 7818942234
- Cross Street: Prospect St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Il Capriccio shares a parking lot with Gordon's Wine & Liquors. If that lot is full you may park in the Hannaford Supermarket Lot on the side adjacent to the Bank of America. Please do not park in the Bank of America parking lot. You will be towed.
A word from Il Capriccio
Il Capriccio serves a constantly changing Northern Italian menu featuring local products with an award winning Italian wine and Grappa list. Though long considered a local secret, Il Capriccio has been the number one Northern Italian restaurant in Zagat's for the past seven years. The wine list has been featured in Decanter, Sante, Wine & Spirits and Stuff. The same menu is served in the Bar. We like to serve great food and great wine in a comfortable setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Il Capriccio - Best Restaurants in Waltham ›
Il Capriccio reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)fit for foodies (103)notable wine list (88)neighborhood gem (85)romantic (66)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Waltham destination diningcreativeeaterDined on 4/29/2014Waltham is sometimes a great central location for friends meeting up from the city and the 'burbs. I had dinner here with two female friends recently and it was a lovely evening. Service is good, food is good but the baked Alaska dessert left a little to be desired...pre made and not warm on top. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- A really nice eveningOmnivoreVIPDined on 4/26/2014Smooth service, many good choices on the menu, and well-executed food.Special Features:
- Perfect as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/26/2014We love Il Capriccio and are never diissapointed. Wonderful food, service and atmosphere make this a great spot for a special night with family or friends!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014We were there to celebrate a birthday and have been there before for special occasions before. We are Waltham residents and are happy to support such a wonderful restaurant in our city. The food and service are always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BuddahVIPDined on 4/17/2014It becomes ones "go to restaurant" if you want fabulous food and great service as well as good wine.Special Features:
- About as good as it getsJandRVIPDined on 4/12/2014You can blindly throw a dart at their menu and be completely satisfied on whatever item the dart lands upon. All of their dishes are prepared perfectly from top quality fresh ingredients. What comes out of their kitchen is wonderful and served by a great professional team. If you're dinning here for the first time, the Soufflé di Porcini is a must have dish to start with. I've been dinning here since their early days and every visit has been A+. This is a restaurant that respects their customers and demonstrates that commitment with everything they do.Special Features:
- Favorite Restaurant in BostonOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2014Il Capriccio has long been my favorite restaurant in Boston. This experience further confirms it.Special Features:
- Italian ClassicDodgersWillVIPDined on 4/11/2014They do everything to perfection here. The menu is wonderful and the service extraordinary in an elegant setting. Grilled peppercorn swordfish is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backluv2dineVIPDined on 4/11/2014Good food (though I do have to say that one of the people in our party had swordfish that was a bit too fishy to be fresh). This is our second time coming and everything else was great. We'll be back to give it another try.Special Features:
- It was okayPAS166Dined on 4/9/2014I hadn't been here in many years, thought I'd give it another try. It was okay. Fairly unremarkable.
- My family and I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/8/2014My family and I have been dining here for years. It is always a wonderful experience. The food and staff are fabulous.Special Features:
- molto beneFranboDined on 4/5/2014For some reason I always wanted to dine at Il Capricio, but for some unexplained reason never went until now. Lets just say I have been missing out on a true gem of an Italian Restaurant. And I definitely will be returning.Special Features:
- Great suburban gemOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/5/2014Why go in to boston when you have great reataurants like this. Superb dinner and the service was outstanding. Have not been there in a few years ( not sure why) we'll be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavorSammyDined on 4/4/2014An extraordinary meal, seasoned perfectly to enhance but not overwhelm the fresh ingredients. Every bite of every dish was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a surpriseRAPONDined on 3/31/2014Needed a restaurant to have dinner with a business associate I had not seen in ten years. We needed good food and a quiet place to catch up on each other. By prices of elimination and tin the help of Open Table we found this restaurant. As a result we got exactly what we wanted. While our goal was not gray food, we both knew the food was great and commented on each course. We had a seat in a quiet corner and were left alone to talk without being ignored - not an easy thing to do. It was only when we got up to leave that we realized we were the last people in the place and must have been for a while. No one came over to urge us along either. What a surprise. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a FavoritedinerintheburbsDined on 3/24/2014We had not been here in awhile, even though we love it. As always, we had a fantastic dinner. The food is wonderful. The service was very good, although we did not see our waitress for most of the meal. I hope we will be back again soon--this is, without question, one of the very best west of Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWWInnDoggVIPDined on 3/22/2014What a great night out. Food was outstanding. Super wine. The best desert! 100% going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, everyone itemellenDined on 3/22/2014great food, everyone item we ordered was perfectly done. nice decor, great to have off street parking.Special Features:
- Excellent food and good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/20/2014Excellent food and good service. We will definitely come back and will advice friends to go thereSpecial Features:
- I've been absent from Il CapriccioMichailDined on 3/20/2014I've been absent from Il Capriccio for some time and must admit that I have missed it badly. My recent visit was everything I was hoping for: good food, good wine, good service. It is one of few places where I have difficulty making up my mind about food and wine - I like everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem for fine Italian diningcazfromnhDined on 3/17/2014I had the pleasure of dining at Il Capriccio, a superb gem for Italian dining, a most enjoyable experience. Greeted by very friendly personnel & seated immediately. The wait staff was attentive & most helpful with our selections. The Souffle di Porcini was delicious as were the Wild Mushroom Risotto, Fettuccine Bolognese & Braised Shredded Shortrib on Polenta The quality was superb, a generous portion & reasonable price. Lemon Mousse/Candied Lemon Rind, a perfect ending for a delicious meal. Delightful atmosphere & unique setting. Having dined in fine restaurants in Singapore, Sydney, N. Africa, Spain, Canada & UK, my compliments to the chef & wait staff & would recommend Il Capriccio for an enjoyable & memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with BFFLoriBDined on 3/17/2014I returned to Il Capriccio after many years to meet a friend from out of town. It is convenient to 128; they take reservations; and the meal, service and ambience are all outstanding. Many menu items offer a split portion, which we find very appealing. I will return again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousMetrowestJimDined on 3/15/2014Based on reputation, I expected memorable dishes and an outstanding dinner experience. That did not happen. Service was spotty and aloof - acceptable at a lesser establishment, but not up to par for fine dining. Il Capricio seems to be operating under the delusion that it is 5 star restaurant, when in reality it is just a good restaurant among many mediocre restaurants.Special Features:
- Best of in the WestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014Il Capriccio is a gem. If you like consistently great food, interesting & varied menu options, excellent wine selections, impeccable service and comfortable surroundings, this neighborhood restaurant delivers. My wife and I love to eat at a bar, sample 3 or 4 interesting appetizers, imbibe in a glass of wine and never leave disappointed, this is the place. We love Il Capricco. It's always satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and wine,KathieDined on 3/14/2014Outstanding food and wine, but pricey. I assume the "noise level" ranking of energetic can be interpreted as noisy. which it was when tables were full, making conversation a bit difficult. Will go again, nonetheless.Special Features:
- Best in BostondineratSPHDined on 3/13/2014This is the best, most consistent upper level restaurant in the Boston area bar none. We keep trying the others, including the new restaurants...but come back to Il Cappricio for the best menu, best prepared, best ingrediants, best wine,best service and most consistent. How they have kept this up over 15 years while others crash and burn is a bit of a mystery, but they do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left HungryLadiesDinnerDined on 3/12/2014Started at the bar. Great bartender! Asked for Pinot Grigio. "We don't carry Pinot Grigio." What?? Who doesn't carry Grigio??went to our table. Prices were high but we knew that ahead. Waiter was wonderful! I ordered scallops and monkfish for $32. Literally, I received three (3) regular sized scallops set in a triangle trying to fill the empty plate. In the middle was what seemed like a small blob of mashed potato and one single tiny piece of broccoli. It couldn't have been monkfish. I was starving when I left. Menu should specify 3 scallops only for $32.
- We have enjoyed for fourteenFredJDined on 3/11/2014We have enjoyed for fourteen years!! Always excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a business dinnerDinnerOutDined on 3/10/2014This was a business dinner and we arrived early. The hostess took our coats and provided coat numbers while we stood by the bar to order cocktails. Bartender was attentive but did not interrupt the flow of our conversation. The only down side is a TV was mounted at the end of the bar which distracts from the ambiance. We were seated at the only round table and enjoyed excellent service and outstanding food. We shared an appetizer of calamari stuffed calamari and clams, tuna tartar and fritters. All delicious. The Beet salad was generous; main courses included gnocchi with lobster, scallops on bean puree - all outstanding. The full dinner dish was filling. We were not disappointed with the desert menu; espresso was authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vintage qualitysamziamVIPDined on 3/8/2014In a world where the life span of a restaurant is typically short, Il Capriccio has maintained an extraordinary track record for endurance and quality-, spanning more than a quarter century--unusual for a high end restaurant. Food and service is unfailingly at a high level.Special Features:
- Upscale dining in a suburban localeFirebird44VIPDined on 3/8/2014I was visiting family in Waltham and looking for a fine dining experience without the headache of travelling into Boston. Il Capriccio fit the bill. Inconspicuous from the outside, it was beautifully appointed inside. The staff was helpful and friendly. The food was delicious, well prepared, and in perfect portion size. The wine list has something for every budget, and the sommelier was happy to make a recommendation. It was conveniently located, with an on site parking lot, and plenty of on street parking. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, little atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/8/2014Dined with my wife and two teenage children on a busy Saturday evening. The food was good in a solid but not spectacular way. The appetizers (tuna tartare, calamari, shrimp fritters were all good but maybe a little overpriced for the presentation. Secondi portion size were generous. My duck was done perfectly as was the veal. The Bolognese was a bit smoky for our personal preference. Service was good, not obtrusive and no lapses even though it was a very busy night. The wine list seemed to have good values. Despite being crowded and sometimes loud, there seemed little energy in the place and a cold draft (alternating with occasional heat) blew over us much of the evening. But overall nothing to really complain about.Special Features:
- Top notch, best wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/8/2014Top notch, best wine list for Italian wine in the Northeast.Special Features:
- fabulous all around!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/4/2014We ate here for the first time on my birthday. The food was fantastic. We shared the steamed PEI mussles appetizer (enough for two people). My husband had the scallop entree, I had the duck breast entree. Both were fantastic. I think the duck was the best I've ever eaten; not dried out and tough. The sauteed veggies were perfect. Everything was well seasoned and nicely presented. For dessert we had the lemon mousse (made with lots of fresh lemon juice), and the chocolate and hazelnut panna cotta. Exquisite. The service was excellent. All in all, one of the best - if not the best - dinner we've had since moving to the Boston area in 2003! We'll be back! P.S. Not a good choice for kids.Special Features:
- Awesome CodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014Had quite possibly the best piece of fish I have ever had. Very friendly staff and the Bartender steered me towards a great white wine to compliment my fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to Il CapriccioGeorgeVIPDined on 2/28/2014We have been to Il Capriccio many times. The food is outstanding, as is the service. The menu has varied choices, which is a plus, and everything is well prepared. The parking lot is shared with a liquor store, but we are usually able to find a space. From the outside the appearance is very plain, but the inside decor is very nice, the restaurant is comfortable, and everything else about the restaurant is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in main coursevtskierVIPDined on 2/27/2014Generally this was a good experience. I was disappointed in the main courses. I had the special stuffed Quail. It was moist, but bland. The vegetable was served with a pea pod of some type that wasn't edible The appetizers and deserts were good. The service was very nice and the ambiance pleasant. .Special Features:
- Chef's ability soarsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/25/2014The atmosphere is quiet and elegant. The dinner was excellent, by far the best roasted duck I have ever served. Wait staff was efficient and courteous, but not over powering. A wonderful evening .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014We live a distance, and due to unpredictable traffic, arrived 45 minutes early for our reservation. The restaurant was empty, yet the hostess, instead of welcoming us with open arms, acted as if they might not be able to accomodate us right away. A second hostess, seeing what was happening, came over and we were seated immediately. The meal was superb except that the mushroom risotto was a little too salty. We'll definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent all around. GnocchiJDB35VIPDined on 2/21/2014Excellent all around. Gnocchi and lobster was outstanding .excellent cocktailsSpecial Features: