888 Main St.
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ilcapricciowaltham.com/
- Phone: 7818942234
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Richard Barron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Il Capriccio offers a number of options for small private parties. We have a downstairs room that seats up to 10 guests, a back room that seats up to 12 guests and a front room that accommodates up to 30 guests. We normally reserve private parties on weekday evenings only.
- Private Party Contact: Nahatai Harris 7818942234
- Cross Street: Prospect St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Il Capriccio shares a parking lot with Gordon's Wine & Liquors. If that lot is full you may park in the Hannaford Supermarket Lot on the side adjacent to the Bank of America. Please do not park in the Bank of America parking lot. You will be towed.
A word from Il Capriccio
Il Capriccio serves a constantly changing Northern Italian menu featuring local products with an award winning Italian wine and Grappa list. Though long considered a local secret, Il Capriccio has been the number one Northern Italian restaurant in Zagat's for the past seven years. The wine list has been featured in Decanter, Sante, Wine & Spirits and Stuff. The same menu is served in the Bar. We like to serve great food and great wine in a comfortable setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Il Capriccio - Best Restaurants in Waltham ›
Il Capriccio reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (123)fit for foodies (104)notable wine list (88)neighborhood gem (85)romantic (66)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Oldie but goodieOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/15/2014It's refreshing to see a restaurant that has excelled for so many years. The food remains outstanding. A treasure in the Western suburbs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific itialian wine listjerryjVIPDined on 7/11/2014Il Capriccio has consistently excellent food and consistently excellent service. We have been there many times and never leave disappointed. Their selection and pricing of fine Italian wines (Barolo, Barberesco, Super Tuscan etc.) is truly outstanding. There are many properly aged selections at very reasonable prices for this level of quality (something that I rarely find at top restaurants). Wine staff (Jason) knows his stuff and is very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2014Outstanding food beautifully presented; pleasant and quiet atmosphere because the restaurant is divided into multiple rooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saying Good ByeKatsmanDined on 7/1/2014Exceptional, across the board....All of the food was outstanding, some of the best any of the four eating had EVER HAD.....enough said.Special Features:
- lunchclientDined on 6/30/2014We have enjoyed Il Capriccio for over 30 years,and this special occasion dinner did not disappoint! Zucchini blossom appetizer was superb.Special Features:
- luv2dineDined on 6/27/2014The owner is a hands-on chef. Everything we had was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oppi328VIPDined on 6/25/2014Il Capriccio is one of the best restaurants in the Boston area! We love the food and the service! For appetizers, we had the grilled calamari, the burrata salad with peaches and figs, the octopus, and the chilled yogurt soup with cucumber and lobster. All were outstanding. For entrees, we gad a rib eye steak with white beans and vegetables, veal cutlets with fresh vegetables, and soft shell crabs.all of our food was expertly prepared and presented. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Always wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/25/2014Everything you could ask for in a great restaurant. A conscientious staff and kitchen that aim to please. Consistently excellent food passionately prepared. Great menu, plenty of choices, excellent fish. Entrees plated as a meal, just like home, with vegtable and starch, not a lonely piece of meat or fish on a plate as most other restaurants do. Wonderful wines knowledgeably presented and extensive cocktail offering. Comfortable setting. Service and courses paced to your speed making it a great spot for casual, business or special occasion dining. Always a wonderful dining experience. Convenient location, free parking. Our "go to" spot.Special Features:
- Okay but overpricedFineDine2013Dined on 6/25/2014My associate and I had dinner here last week to discuss business. We were seated at a corner table which was fine although the adjoining table was a bit noisy. The waiter took our drink order and gave us ample time to review the menu. We started out with appetizers - I had the steamed mussels - good with a nice broth. My associate had the antipasto which he thought was great. We each ordered the house pino grigio - okay but nothing special. Dinner consisted of swordfish for me and salmon for my friend. Mine was a bit dry but tasty. Again, not outstanding, just okay. My associate liked his dinner as well. Overall, it was a good dining experience although way overpriced for the quality. You can do better elsewhere.
- Outstanding dining experience!PlayLeftyCZDined on 6/23/2014The warm and welcoming greeting by Liz, who seated us at the perfect table for my friend's birthday dinner. The attentive and impeccable service provided by our very professional waiter Sean. The expertly prepared and delicious food. The cozy and comfortable ambience. Yes, everything about our dining experience was perfect! I highly recommend the porcini soufflé, potato gnocchi, fettucine Bolognese and the beets/greens/goat cheese salad. Next time I go I will definitely try one of the amazing seafood entrees but this evening we were in the mood for pasta done right - and it was oh so right! I don't want to give away any surprises but the subtle creative "birthday" touches were also wonderful! A+ at all levels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for nothing specialBostonDined on 6/21/2014Il Capriccio is rated highly, which I cannot understand exactly. It is a decent restaurant, with decent food. I'm sure for those who live in Waltham, it is nice to have this restaurant as an option, but at the prices they charge for entrees, there is nothing neighborly about it. Their "signature" dish among Antipasti was Souffle di Porcini. It was rich and tasty, and using the soft bread (which was good quality) to wipe the plate clean was flavorful. The pasta and risotto dishes were predictable, nothing distinctive. Soft-shell crab, not bad. For $300+ (two drinks, two wines - four people), I expected more imagination and flavor. Convenient parking, ambience "cozy", but would not go back.Special Features:
- Great food, comfortable barOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014I went to Il Capriccio a couple of weeks ago with my boyfriend to sit at the bar and grab a bite. The bar is always very comfortable and it's easy to find a spot during the week. The food never disappoints, even when we choose lighter options like their seasonal salads and appetizers. Overall, another great evening- but then again I expect nothing less!Special Features:
- Solid menu, expertly prepared mealsLuv2eatVIPDined on 6/17/2014Appetizers set the tone for the entire meal which was outstanding. Lobster gnocchi was excellent. Tuna tartar was solid. Main courses were very good also. No complaint from anyone from our group of 5. My duck was delicious and the halibut looked great. Not huge portions of mediocre food. Appropriate amount of very well prepared meals. I'll absolutely be back for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreSkiandRowMomDined on 6/14/2014Went with my husband and another couple, but were disappointed. Dark and dingy decor, service was slow and food was OK, but nothing to write home about. Other Italian restaurants in area are much better. The renovation will give a much needed facelift, but not sure if I will go again with fair food and service for a meal on the pricier side.
- Fathers' Day EvemangebeneDined on 6/14/2014Our family enjoyed a wonderful, special dinner the night before Fathers Day. The hostess, bartender, and server all had that blend of smooth professionalism and personable helpfulness that truly "make' a restaurant. The food was incredible. We tried the porcini soufflé, as recommended and were happily surprised to be given the recipe. The fish and duck were very fresh and beautifully accompanied. The only mild disappointment was the dessert fashioned after a s'more- a little bland and dry. This is a lovely restaurant The prices are fair, given the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday celebrationbostonbredDined on 6/13/2014Six friends dined last week to celebrate a birthday. Initially we were escorted to a round table, but concerned we might be a little loud, we asked if there were a more secluded table. We were led to my favorite room in the restaurant - the glass wall room toward the back. There was a table set for us and two smaller tables. Our server, Jan, was helpful, patient, and very knowledgeable. We had appetizers, soft shell crabs, osso buco, linguine and clams, and mussels. Shared desserts were profiteroles and molten chocolate cake. The food was exceptional! We never felt rushed and had a most enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Very nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014I brought my Dad on Friday evening. It was very nice. The food was great. A bit on the pricey side however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite gempooldirectorDined on 6/11/2014Always a special event. The food choices are always a surprise, beautifully prepared from seasonal selections. Top class wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryDined on 6/9/2014We have frequently enjoyed the Providence RI Capriccio's and wanted to give Waltham a try. Parking is somewhat limited. Service was impeccable. Porcini soufflé, one of the signature hors d'oeuvres was unbelievable! The wine was perfect and they have an extensive list of high quality wine available in half bottles. The chicken madeira was the best chicken dish I have ever had, ever. The lobster gnocci was disappointing . The lemon mouse was excellent and cover with lemon rind that really made this dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was recommended by another chefIknowfoodDined on 6/9/2014We were visiting the area and asked a chef in central Boston for Waltham recommendations and checked it against on-line ratings.This restaurant met all the requirements of a high end Italian [ or any ethnic] restaurant. The food was excellent and the service good. For people comfortable with American and French wines, but not familiar with Italian wines, the wine list is daunting and a more knowledgable person who could discuss the options would have been appreciated. But we were very satisfied with the wine selected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Birthday Dinnerblue74Dined on 6/7/2014Celebrated my best friend's birthday at Il Capriccio and really loved it. I had been there over 20 years ago and it still has it's same appeal; food, service, ambience, and thoughtfulness. The staff even made my friend's dessert a surprise. Area colleges like Bentley and Brandeis would have wonderful meals there with their daughters and sons!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/7/2014Antipasti was better than the entrees and it was a bit overpriced. But all in all we had a good time.
- ConsistentagchocDined on 5/31/2014We've been going to Il Capriccio for more than a decade and we keep going back because it's consistently excellent. The Porcini Souffle (not really a souffle) is revelatory every time. We recently had an excellent octopus salad and the lamb osso buco perfectly captured the essence of both lamb and osso buco. The wines and wine-related advice are always good. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Truly outstanding.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014My wife and I returned for an anniversary celebration. Been coming every chance we get when in Boston area. We each ordered different apps, entrees and desserts. The creativity, presentation and flavors were all special as was the wine we selected. Service slowed due to the 8PM crowd, otherwise excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/29/2014Fabulous food, attentive staff and great wine all at an affordable price. Chef Barron outdoes himself a must try!Special Features:
- Wonderful timeinthebusinessDined on 5/27/2014Went with old friends, food was fabulous and the service friendly, timely and professional, something you don't see in most restaurants.Special Features:
- Very good but priceyWallyDined on 5/27/2014Food was terrific, eclectic and flavorful. Staff was familiar with menu and made terrific recommendations. Atmosphere is intimate Deserts were well presented and tasty. Wine and scotch list was strong. Parking can be and was challenging in the limited lot space availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best in Northern ItalianNateDined on 5/27/2014If you live in the New England area and are looking for the best in Northern Italian food, look no further. Having been to the best Italian restaurants in the Boston area, including a highly regarded spot also in Waltham that used to be my favorite restaurant, I can say with certainty that Il Capriccio delivers the most delicious and perfectly cooked food. From their octopus salad that has the perfect amount of refreshing flavor, to the succulent duck or melt-in-your-mouth veal, to the incredibly rich baked Alaska, their food will leave you both yearning for more and so full you can't eat anymore. Pair the amazing food with an impressive wine selection and wait staff that makes you feel like family, and you have Il Capriccio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely Outstanding!CiaoBellaDined on 5/23/2014I just moved from New York City to Boston so needless to say my taste buds have been spoiled over the last five years. I also studied abroad in Florence, Italy and lived there for six months so I often crave authentic, Northern Italian cuisine. Il Capriccio took me back and has raised the bar! My recommendations– the mussels, shrimp and tuna tartare for starters, the gnocchi with lobster is amazing and you can’t go wrong with any of the entrees, although my mouth is watering thinking about the duck! The ambiance is romantic, yet comfortable and the service was incredibly attentive and enjoyable. The sommelier also made an excellent recommendation and our wine complimented the meal perfectly. I truly give Il Cappriccio a 10 across the board!Special Features:
- Great food, offensive chefEat2LoveDined on 5/22/2014My husband and I loved the food and would have had a very pleasurable dining experience if not for the chef's conversation with two nearby tables. I prefer not to mix my dinner with politics and his choice to loudly bash Democrats was not to our liking. It did not help that the couple next to us choose to both sit on the same side of the table crowding us though the end of our meal. If we had been seated out of earshot of this commentary (and away from the annoying couple) it would have been an excellent experience.Special Features:
- The following 1501 reviews are from the Il Capriccio reviews archive.
- Our favorite restaurantSandyDined on 5/15/2014This is consistently our favorite restaurant. The food is always excellent, there is a wonderful choice of wine, staff is friendly and knowledgeable without being "stuffy." I have a slight hearing loss and so having a table against a wall makes conversation easier. The hostess obliged. Whenever we want excellent dining, this is our place of choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/15/2014jjust a great meal. the staff was welcoming, the servers were knowledgeable, and the food was beautifuly prepared and presentedSpecial Features:
- Always greatSallyVIPDined on 5/13/2014We had dinner with another couple. Everything was excellent. I had the duck which was yummy. We had a wonderful eveningSpecial Features:
- Always impressesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014We Love Il Capriccio. This place is so familiar and the food is luxurious but approachable. For those who are a little finicky I never have ordered and thought, Oh no, what have I done!!! Even though there is sometimes a dish on the menu that is not your everyday dish. The desserts are really good too. The place could use a little sprucing up, we have made this restaurant our own neighborhood place (even though it's not our neighborhood), but the decor...well we go for the food, wine and relaxed service, it would just be nice if....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, as usual.KatherineDined on 5/10/2014Il Capriccio is one of our favorite restaurants, and it didn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFoodieTooDined on 5/10/2014The food is excellent. Our favorite dish is the appetizer souffle di porcini. It is indescribably delicious and I have never had it at another restaurant. It could be a main dish it is so rich and filling. Before each visit I think about ordering a different appetizer but I never do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just rightAlexDined on 5/7/2014My wife and I had dinner for our Anniversary. I mentioned this when booking the reservation. Food was delicious. Our waiter was a pro. The Maître d' could not have been nicer. She brought out the baked Alaska we ordered for dessert. It came on an over sized plate for the decorative flowers and bird some one with talent was able to do with chocolate sauce. A little something to make the night special. She also talked with us for a few minutes before we left. I walked out the door and said to my wife, "I don't think that could have been better".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Il CapriccioTempoDined on 5/7/2014Very nice meal, some variation in quality- steamed vegetables with entrees were not a great choice, but main courses and desserts were excellent. A salad of shaved artichokes and baby lettuce was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Wine very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/3/20144 of us had dinner .....apps very good and salads also..... my main Osso Buco was very good and flavorful, partners dinner, veal was not cooked thru and a bit raw...she was disappointed.... Wine selection is huge and no one really very helpful so had to go to a wine I trusted and not try anything new....which was also a shame. Service was very good and attentive. Over I would give it 4 stars on a 5 stars scale with 5 the best....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurantSonnyVIPDined on 5/2/2014Il Capriccio is the finest restaurant in Boston even though it is in Waltham. It is a real gem, with one of the best chefs in the Boston area. It is a great special occasion restaurant and if someone comes from out of town and wants the best in the Boston area, I always take them to this restaurant.Special Features: