888 Main St.
Waltham, MA 02453Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ilcapricciowaltham.com/
- Phone: 7818942234
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Richard Barron
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Il Capriccio offers a number of options for small private parties. We have a downstairs room that seats up to 10 guests, a back room that seats up to 12 guests and a front room that accommodates up to 30 guests. We normally reserve private parties on weekday evenings only.
- Private Party Contact: Nahatai Harris 7818942234
- Cross Street: Prospect St.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Il Capriccio shares a parking lot with Gordon's Wine & Liquors. If that lot is full you may park in the Hannaford Supermarket Lot on the side adjacent to the Bank of America. Please do not park in the Bank of America parking lot. You will be towed.
A word from Il Capriccio
Il Capriccio serves a constantly changing Northern Italian menu featuring local products with an award winning Italian wine and Grappa list. Though long considered a local secret, Il Capriccio has been the number one Northern Italian restaurant in Zagat's for the past seven years. The wine list has been featured in Decanter, Sante, Wine & Spirits and Stuff. The same menu is served in the Bar. We like to serve great food and great wine in a comfortable setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Il Capriccio - Best Restaurants in Waltham ›
Il Capriccio reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)fit for foodies (108)neighborhood gem (89)notable wine list (87)romantic (67)good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (5)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Dinner with GrammawestonmomVIPDined on 9/20/2014Our reservation was 530P on Saturday - we were seated immediately and noise level was quiet. As the dining room became busy, the noise was more energetic. Food was good; we ordered bread and asked for butter to come with it. We had to remind them to bring the butter. The bread was cold. It wouldn't have hurt to heat it a little - same thing with the next basket. Wine by the glass was excellent.Special Features:
- Great as alwaysdineratSPHDined on 9/19/2014Consistently Great on all criteria. Nothing more to say
- Oppi328VIPDined on 9/19/2014Il Capriccio is our favorite restaurant! We went with another couple this time, and everyone enjoyed their food. Two of us got the mixed green salad, we had a an octopus appetizer, we had a small pasta appetizer, and we had a fig and burrata cheese appetizer. All were delicious! For entrees, one of us got the duck, one of us got the chicken schnitzel with a fried egg on top, and the other two of us got the ribeye steak with fresh vegetables. For dessert, we had home made mint chip ice cream and lemon mousse which is the signature dessert of the restaurant. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Waiter in a bad mood?ER325VIPDined on 9/19/2014Great meal. Sloppy, inattentive and at times downright rude service. We are at Il Capricio frequently and have never experienced anything quite like this. Will return but warily.Special Features:
- The usual excellence.jamesDined on 9/19/2014Another wonderful experience dining at Il Capriccio. We've gone to this gem of a place for many years, since it was a pleasant hole-in-the-wall around the corner on Prospect Street with occasional wine-tasting dinners, with wines from specific vineyards along with representatives to answer questions. It has always been excellent under Richie's chefdom, and last night's meal was no exception. This is, IMO, one of the consistently top picks in the Boston area. Whereas the atmosphere/ambience has always been very comfortable, the recent remodeling has lightened and opened-up the feeling. I approve of the change. You can always expect great food, a great choice of fine wines, excellent service, and a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/18/2014Perfectly dressed salad fresh from the garden! The most amazing bolognese lasagna and an outstanding lemon mousse. BRAVO!Special Features:
- High End diningrobtDined on 9/15/2014The place to go for a high end dining experience. Everything is well done and it is not even among the most expensive. Wonderful appetizers and an extensive menu. Most people will need help with the wine list which is large. They were very helpful with that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, againBODandBOWDined on 9/13/2014The staff helped make my husband's birthday dinner a wonderful occasion. The food and service were both excellent. Between wine, appetizers, entrees and dessert there wasn't a single wrong note. I only wished we lived closer so that we could visit more than once or twice a year.Special Features:
- Delightful on a birthdayMaisieSeattleDined on 9/11/2014Great crimini soufflé, and warm and inviting environment and service to celebrate an occasion. A wonderful find in the burbs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating a birthdayclcbDined on 9/11/2014Guest of honor in her 90s loves Il Capriccio and the food which never fails to be wonderful. Asked for a quiet table and were very comfortable. Staff advice is always spot on. A very special spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and ClassicTMEODined on 9/10/2014My husband and I ate here for our last official "date night" before our first child arrives in our lives. It was romantic without being over the top. We could hear each other talk and enjoyed the food, service, ambiance and the overall experience. The prices were just right for the occasion, as well. Only drawback was we could hear the conversations near us and at times it was hard to NOT overhear our neighbors. Still, a nice way to spend an evening dining out.Special Features:
- Attentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/10/2014Are at Il Cappricio for our 47tg wedding anniversary. Staff made special efforts to seat us at an excellent table, and provided biscotti with candles and decoration to note the occasion. Excellent food and nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014Continue to be impressed with this restaurant. Food is always great, and the service is wonderful. This visit I asked the sommelier for some help with the wine list and he listened to me and recommended a great wine. And with no prompting from me, at a moderate price.Special Features:
- globetrotterDined on 9/5/2014I have dined in fine restaurants all over the world. This one ranks very high in my experience. The service was courteous and prompt, the food superb. I would recommend Il Capriccio enthusiastically to anyone.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/4/2014. Several small rooms meant quiet dining. Excellent food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff makes it!1serialdinerVIPDined on 9/3/2014From the moment we're greeted by the hostess, Liz, to the help with wine selections by Susan, and if we're lucky Vinnie is around with a smile, to catching a glimpse of the kitchen, or an after dinner drink at the bar, we love everyone! The refreshed interior is a nice change. The wine list always feels a bit overwhelming, but the staff are greatly knowledgable and their selections in the front are helpful! I will continue to try to get there at every opportunity!Special Features:
- Excellent experience, as usual.GeorgeVIPDined on 9/3/2014We have dined there many times, and the food is always excellent, and the service is very accommodating. The only negative is the parking lot which is shared with a liquor store, but this is managable. Overall, highly recommended.Special Features:
- Best in WalthamBackbaydinerVIPDined on 9/3/2014I believe that this is the best food offered in Waltham!Special Features:
- Always perfectMattVIPDined on 9/2/2014My company has an office in Waltham, so we eat here quite a bit. No matter when I come or what we eat the meal is always perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than many in the North EndOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/30/2014Choose this restaurant because of location as my daughter was moving to Waltham and wanted to get to know the town a bit. Unassuming storefront on Main St, but the food was excellent throughout - from the figs with burrata to the lobster risotto all was high quality and beautifully prepared. Good wine list focused on Italy.Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/29/2014Il Capriccio is an outstanding restaurant! They just updated their decor, and it looks wonderful! The food and service are fabulous! We ate zucchini flowers, burrata and figs, caprese salad, and we both ordered the amazing rib eye steak with fresh vegetables and white beans! We love this restaurant!Special Features:
- Spectacular food start to finishHufflehobbitDined on 8/29/2014The meal was simply perfect. No dish was less than excellent; everything except the pasta was downright revelatory. Many combinations of flavors that we would never have expected to work together but which came together to be greater than the parts. Altogether wonderful, we'll be returning. And best of all, some of the flavor inspiration we expect to be able to use at home for our own cooking, which is often not the case at high-end restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-somyluckybreakDined on 8/29/2014Noisy, overpriced and crowded... Food was good but have had better in other places Definitely not worth the extravagant bill received in the end...
- Dinning ExcellenceGreggHamlinDined on 8/27/2014We always look forward to our time at Il Capriccio... Every interaction with the staff is a dinning experience and is always pleasant and xes from years if experience. The food is always excellent and the service is always well done ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would have died happy1D0404Dined on 8/19/2014Stopped by for a casual bite at the bar. The restaurant has made some recent improvements with added windows and more comfortable seating. I started off with the foie gras & sea scallop appetizer, followed by the gnocchi with rabbit and a glass of the Marzemino. Oh my...if it had been my time, I would have died happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh food. Nicely presented.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014We had our Anniversary meal there. And it was tastey. We went for Italian food.The special was a steak. I asked if steak was Italian and was told tonight it is. Not really any pasta on the menu and no Cannoli for dessert. We had to find another Italian restaurant for dessert after. But the quality of food was superb.Special Features:
- Unexpected JeweldbnoblesDined on 8/18/2014We did not expect such a gem in Waltham. Great food and lovely wine list full of Italian wines. Service and ambience match the food and wine. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Nightmaryellen01754Dined on 8/16/2014From the polite friendly staff to the delicious food and wine, it was a memorable night. We had the Swordfish and Duck which were both wonderful. A most pleasant surprise was the BEST Chocolate Creme Brulee ever which was a compliment of the house! We are not sure why but it made us feel very special.Special Features:
- Always AmazingBiciCRLDined on 8/15/2014If you get anything thing from the menu, get the zucchini flowers; I was really unsure of this menu option but the staff talked me into it and it was simply amazing. I love getting the risottos; they are always creative and perfectly cooked. They did some renovations recently which really has brightened up the space. I know very little about wine and the staff is highly knowledgeable so I allowed them to select for me and their choice made my meal even better.Special Features:
- Awesome Dinner!!rjr01Dined on 8/15/2014Food and service were amazing! We had a wonderful first time experience. I would order everything I got again. Great atmosphere and all of the staff was very knowledgable and personable.Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 8/14/2014Il Capriccio is an outstanding restaurant! I had the tuna tartare appetizer and the ribeye steak with vegetables and white beans.it was scrumptious! My husband ordered a delicious caprese salad and a veal loin entree. He enjoyed both. We highly recommend this restaurant! They just redecorated, too. It looks cool and fresh.Special Features:
- Outstanding CuisineManjiDined on 8/14/2014The food was outstanding. We have dined at fine restaurants all over the world and il Cappriccio is as good as the vey best.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014A gem of a restaurant! Outstanding food, wine selection and service!Special Features:
- Fabulous findTexanatheart5Dined on 8/2/2014Fantastic menu and service was great. They were extremely accommodating, and the staff was warm and friendly. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParisDined on 8/1/2014wonderful food, lovely presentation, always meets the highest expectationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as Always!ProudMommaDined on 7/26/2014We had a wonderful time at Il Capriccio. They were very accomodating to the fact we brought our 3-year old toddler along and the service was fast and attentive. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!eclecticfoodyDined on 7/25/2014A wonderful experience! A great Italian wine selection. The stuffed zucchini blossoms were outstanding, the striped bass and veal were perfect! A nice quiet adult environment! The server was very attentive and the drinks and meals were very timely. A real gem. It was our first visit and we are sure to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatsupercatDined on 7/22/2014Without being too adventurous, Il cappricio always delivers a great meal. The mushroom souffle is worth a try, the zucchini blossom and riccotta is excellent as well. The veal is superb. Go for dessert ...never disappoints. Fabulous wine selection.Special Features:
- never missesinthebusinessDined on 7/21/2014This is consistently the best restaurant in the metro west area. The octopus salad with celery was simple yet perfect, which pretty much sums up the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014We had dinner Saturday evening at Il Capriccio. This was a wonderful dining experience the food was excellent. We had the Zucchini flower appetizer which, if this were a drug, I would need rehab. It was outstanding, as was the main course and dessert. Service was excellent, attentive but not overly so. Martini was also outstanding. Ambience is excellent also temperature was comfortable. Often you walk into restaurants and you are blasted with air conditioning. Not so here, comfortable not cold! A true gem and worth the trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.