790 Main Street
Napa, CA 94559Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fishstorynapa.com/
- Phone: 7072515600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Happy Hour Menu: Sunday - Thursday: 2:30pm - 6:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 2:30pm -5:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Clint Davies
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Fish Story
Fish Story, offering sustainable, seasonal, ocean-fresh seafood, is Lark Creek Restaurant Group's entry into the Napa Valley dining scene. Located downtown, with ample riverfront patio seating, Fish Story serves lunch weekdays, brunch weekend days and dinner nightly, featuring live local Dungeness crab, live Maine lobster, fresh fish and shellfish all sourced in accordance with the Monterey Bay Aquarium's Seafood Watch Program, plus non-seafood items.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Fish Story - Best Restaurants in Napa ›
Fish Story reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (79)scenic view (53)special occasion (44)fit for foodies (43)notable wine list (30)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (28)great for lunch (24)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (6)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (1)Show More
- Relaxing LunchGrtdinerDined on 5/5/2014Had a great lunch at Fish story. Sat outside overlooking the Napa river and scenic hill sides. Weather was great and the food was delicious. Matter of fact we went back the next day and enjoyed it all over again.Special Features:
- Dining in downtown NapaHappyDinerVIPDined on 5/3/2014We had a great server who made an excellent suggestion on wine, just the right amount of attention, great table with view of the river. Oh! And by the way, the food was great. Even made some fussy eaters we brought there happy and that's not always easy with them! Very nice!! Would not hesitate one moment to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Over RatedSG434Dined on 5/2/2014We found the restaurant to be very over rated. Our waiter was marginal at best. It seemed that they forgot our entree entirely after the green salad, which was dry and bitter had been served, and we waited and waited, and when the entrees was finally presented they were luke warm. My husband had the sturgeon which he said was tasteless however, my chicken dish, although cold, was moist and flavorful. I will mention however, that the lobster bisque was excellent. And so was the spinach side dish. To the restaurants credit, when we mentioned the long wait between the salad and the main course , they removed one entree from the bill. Will not return, nor recommend this restaurant.
- Always a great timeNapkinBarbDined on 5/2/2014We dine here regularly. We enjoy both the local happy hour scene in the bar and dining in the restaurant. The food is consistently good, fresh and served with a smile. We really like the ceviche with taro chips whether the full appetizer or happy hour taco style. Although our favorites are usually the seafood, the burger is also a crowd pleaser.
- Excellent food and great patioSelfProclaimedFoodieDined on 5/2/2014The food was fab! The service was a bit lacking after the meal was served. It took too long for plates to be picked up and the waiter knew we were having a business meeting. We couldn't even flag down somebody because nobody even looked our way. When you spend almost $200 (for 4 with tip) on lunch you expect good service. We loved the indoor/outdoor patio section. Perfect for a nice day.Special Features:
- Great Food - Poor ServicePeteHVIPDined on 5/1/2014We made a reservation at Fish Story well ahead of time for a group of 10. We were seated inside in an area which was uncomfortably warm. Our server seemed to have our table and several tables outside and as a result he was extremely difficult to find. The service was slow, which is not always a bad thing, but when we needed assistance with an appetizer or entree there was no one to be found. We've enjoyed Fish Story on several occassions, so we'll likely go back, but I'd avoid this restaurant with a larger party.Special Features:
- just one disappointmentstevebDined on 5/1/2014Menu was diverse, very interesting and included a five course Chef's Tasting option and an accompanying wine pairing, which I ordered. However, my wife, who does not have quite the robust appetite as I, ordered another menu item. Our server told us she would also have to order the tasting option. We settled for individual menu items. We are not local, so will not be able to experience the rest of the Chef's talents for a while.Special Features:
- it's good if u like small portionsMikeyDined on 4/29/2014I like the ambiance. . Right off the Napa river. Food taste real good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Disappointed!Goldie1960Dined on 4/26/2014My girlfriend recommended this place. I was so happy she did. The wait staff was professional, friendly and engaging. The flavors in the food was spectacular! I had the lobster with scallops and fennel! Awesome!Special Features:
- A Little DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014We had lunch at the Fish Story. The setting was lovely, the service was very good. We all agreed the salads had little flavor. We had one beet salad and one mixed greens. Let me start by saying the french fries were excellent. The fish on the fish and chips were flavorless and the breaking a bit soggy. The halibut was good and the salmon was o.k. Again, maybe our expectations were too high.Special Features:
- Great Lunch!ProfessorJakeVIPDined on 4/26/2014I've dined here before and enjoyed it, so we returned. The food was excellent all around from start to finish. I wanted to make sure to acknowledge how warm and welcoming they were to our larger party that included children. We had a wonderful dining experience and the kids were accommodated well. It was greatly appreciated! An awesome time was had by all! Thank you!Special Features:
- Great Dining experiencefoodieintrainingDined on 4/25/2014My wife and I currently moved to Napa and found this place via open table. It was a great dining experience with impeccable service. The chef's menu with wine pairings gives you a wide range of items to try. We will defintiely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Napa River diningJeanniesthoughtsDined on 4/24/2014We were staying at the fabulous Napa River Inn celebrating a birthday (friends) and picked Fish Story for the dinner. The menu is a bit overly gourmet to interpret but the staff was quick to give detailed explanations and the food was excellent. Not inexpensive but what you would expect in a tourist area for fine dining. We had also been there another evening for Happy Hour - quite delicious.Special Features:
- FoodFranDined on 4/23/2014The Chef made us a special plate of Oysters, that was not on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite GoodArkie37Dined on 4/23/2014My daughter loved the salmon salad. I am not sure how my niece felt about the beet salad. My Fish and chips was good, not great but good. I loved the ambience . It is a beautiful restaurant. Yes I would go back, but not right away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your time or moneyMsPieVIPDined on 4/21/2014With all the great places to eat in the Napa area we are so sorry we wasted one of our evenings on this place. A very poor excuse for a fish/seafood restaurant.
- Great potential, subpar executionalteregoVIPDined on 4/19/2014Beautiful location, great looking menu. The seafood was fresh and the chilled green garlic soup was very fresh and tasty. My salmon appetizer had a large piece of plastic wrap embedded in my dish, which was a very unpleasant find. The manager comped the dish, which was a nice gesture, but overall, the service did not meet our expectations for an upscale restaurant. For example, after asking for a taste of one of their draft wines, my server suggested that a verbal description might be good enough to tell whether I would like it. Wow. We were also surprised to see that our order of premium oysters was completely missed, especially after our server hinted that we did not order enough.Special Features:
- Great Spot!PaddyVIPDined on 4/19/2014We've eaten at Fish Story several times and have always enjoyed the food and service. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good FoodGoodFood77Dined on 4/18/2014We started our anniversary weekend with an early dinner here. The halibut was excellent. The sole was good as well. The kids menu was actually pretty good, as evidenced by my kids devouring all their food. (rare occasion that ever happens) We also had an order of the lobster bisque which my eldest ended up eating as well! Very good overall experience. Great way to start off the weekend!Special Features:
- A nice change of paceRichie111Dined on 4/18/2014Since it was Good Friday, we could not eat meat on our last night of vacation after a week of one phenomenal meal after another. This was a good option that offered a number of different types of fish prepared in different ways. The server was attentive and made some good suggestions. Walking distance to our hotel, it is conveniently located right in the town of Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE FISH IS THE STORYcigarknightVIPDined on 4/16/2014...Every now and then, you find a restaurant that lives up to it's name...this restaurant in the heart of wine country, is both elegant and refined...the oysters are fresh, and the seafood is very good...I must admit, I was completely surprised, to find such a good seafood venue, in this area....Special Features:
- just okaywmw322VIPDined on 4/14/2014Very good service. But a dirty, old lipstick stain on my water glass was not a great beginning, it actually turned us off. After it was swiftly replaced I enjoyed the icy lemonade, dozen assortment of oysters. But my partners fish stew left him still wanting more of a meal. Be aware the portions are Small. Great table bread. Nice outside seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Group ExperienceEvergreenmrsDined on 4/14/2014Fish Story took good care of our group of nine for lunch and were very accommodating about the lateness of our arrival for our reservation. All were pleased with the menu selections and many enjoyed the lunch special offering that day. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish Story Napa CaliforniaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014We ordered the Terrine of Beet appetizer and the Copia Garden Green salad. Both were just average with bland, unmemorable flavors. I ordered the salmon which came beautifully presented on top of tasty potatoes. The server asked if I wanted it medium rare with the middle slightly raw which is how I like it. It came back about 80% raw and I had to return it. My wife had the Petrale Sole which was excellent. The service was outstanding throughout the meal and the ambiance is above average.Special Features:
- DeliciousOccasionalDineDined on 4/11/2014Three dining for lunch all loved their meals. The fried green tomatoes appetizer was terrific. The lobster bisque perfect. The tuna tartare fresh as can be. And the fish and chips were light and very tasty. The presentation of the fried tomatoes and tuna tartar was really beautiful. The butterscotch pudding and apple crisp deserts were outstanding... The new Chef has elevated the cuisine in our humble opinion, although when we had dined just several times before we enjoyed our experience then as well. This recent visit was a nice bump up on the delicious scale!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the Good, the Bad, the UglyEATS4BB3VIPDined on 4/10/2014Duck fat braised Halibut on Creamed Spinach, The Terrine of Roasted Beets Salad, the Bread, the Seasonal Sorbet, the Cheese selection was the Good...The Whole Leaf Romaine Caesar Salad was the Bad... Brined Slow Roasted Chicken Breast was Bad and Ugly. The Halibut had to be eaten with the spinach (was not creamed) for the dish to work which was okay, the Beet Salad was the best dinner dish. The Chicken lacked seasoning, had rubbery, pale skin, and they forgot the Caramelized Maitake Mushrooms,but the Artichokes were tasty. This was my second visit, the first time was good, which is why I came back and brought a friend. Might have been a bad day so I will give it one more try. Alex the Bartender was very good and engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch was a bit uneven, withSeladoreDined on 4/6/2014Lunch was a bit uneven, with a heavy Rock Shrimp/seaweed Tempura followed by a delightful Ahi Tartare. But the service and space were very good and don't miss the butterscotch pudding for dessert.
- Best Fish; Returning SoonPapaVIPDined on 4/5/2014Friends came up to Napa to join us and we chose Fish Story because of the glowing recent reviews. We were not disappointed. There was a line outside waiting for a table but our reservation was honored and we were ushered to a window table with a view of the river. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable about the food, different oysters, etc. Food was outstanding: chilled green garlic soup; salmon five ways; ahi tuna tartar; oysters on the half shell; salmon roulade; shellfish stew; halibut; apple cranberry crisp with soft serve vanilla bean ice cream. Every dish was memorable. We will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant!JimmymacVIPDined on 4/5/2014Our second time here in two weeks. Highly recommend this restaurant as we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Try the Rock Shrimp appetizer and the Roasted Beet salad. Also, the Salmon Roulade is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great finish to week in NapaHappyeaterDined on 4/4/2014Spent a week in Napa tasting some amazing wines and experiencing Napa. We decided to eat at Fish Story for our final night in town. We had heard some great things about Fish Story from other places. We really enjoyed the fresh Oyster options and liked having more than one variety to taste. The main courses looked and tasted wonderful. We would go back on our next trip out to Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGrumpydocDined on 4/2/2014Sustainable seafood, expertly prepared. Excellent server. Great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood and inhouse aleAdventurer66VIPDined on 4/2/2014The food is great and the house beer, Fish Story Ale, was very well done (just the right amount of hops taste).Special Features:
- Great New Menu!brooksie211VIPDined on 4/1/2014I was super thrilled with the new menu; I've been in twice in the last month and both times were excellent.Special Features:
- Incredible food and great wine listlukewarmeggrollVIPDined on 3/30/2014However, was quite expensive. They had a half price deal on bottles of wine which was perfect and enables us to buy a bottle.Special Features:
- This restaurant has the smallestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014This restaurant has the smallest portions and is very expensive. Do not go there if you are hungry!Special Features:
- A nice relaxing RestaurantJperryDined on 3/29/2014Great food, good variety and best of all Fresh! Service---wonderful and oh so helpful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish Story is a Great Catch!FrancesNapaVIPDined on 3/29/2014We have been eating here almost since it opened, and it just keeps getting better and better. This goes for both food and service. There were so many excellent choices on the menu that is was hard to choose something. We enjoyed Salmon, Ahi Tuna Tartare, Beet Salad, Green Salad, Shrimp appetizer, and the Sturgeon. I was curious to see if with the new manager that the service would improve, and it most definitely has - it used to be slightly above average, and now it is very good. We will be back!Special Features:
- Special EveningLiDoDined on 3/29/2014I chose this restaurant because of the positive reviews and it certainly lived up to our expectations. We were in the area for an event and wanted to find a place for a nice meal. From the time we entered the restaurant, everyone was friendly and very helpful. I chose their handmade pasta (fettucini that night) and my partner had salmon. Both dishes were beautifully presented and delicious as well. We truly enjoyed the entire dining experience and will return the next time we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1 out of 4 dishes was goodBrendaPDined on 3/29/2014Three of the four of us ordered fish entrees, and two of them were extremely undercooked--the salmon and the halibut. About a third of the halibut was not even edible. A chicken entree was also ordered, and it was overcooked and dry. On the plus side, the petrale sole dish was cooked perfectly and tasted very good. Another plus is that bottles of wine were being offered for half price, so we enjoyed a very nice bottle of Copain Pinot Noir. Dessert was delicious--especially the butterscotch pudding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish Story is a Good Storyniqui808Dined on 3/29/2014The happy hour menu looked very tempting, a consideration for another time. The main dining room is in casual-elegant tones and well distributed, with soft jazzy music in the background. There are tables outside as well, but the weather was not right for that. We thought the menu a little limited in choices, but very interesting and with unique flavor combinations. We thoroughly enjoyed our selections, which were, quickly mentioned: the sturgeon, the halibut, the scallop seviche (needed a little citrus) and the rock shrimp tempura. Dessert: flourless chocolate cake (warm and very good), and donut holes, though these were nothing special. Service was attentive, knowledgeable and svelte. Will definitely be going back to Fish Story.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.