149 Wentworth St.
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.circa1886.com/
- Phone: 8438537828
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Executive Chef: Marc Collins
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Circa 1886
Chef Marc Collins draws inspiration from many cuisines around the world to create a menu that is truly unique to the Charleston restaurant scene. Drawing inspiration from historic Southern dishes and always highlighting what is local and in season, Chef Collins puts a healthful, distinctive spin on classic Lowcountry dishes. This means there is less butter and cream than typically seen on Southern menus. Whole grains are incorporated to dishes and ingredients are used at the peak of flavor. The result is satisfying dishes that retain their bright, bold flavors without the large amounts of fat found in many restaurant dishes. From our Plantation Rice Bread Rolls made in house daily, to the selection of local seafood, to Pastry Chef Lovorn’s incredible desserts, each dinner at Circa 1886 celebrates the region we call home. Let our professional, attentive, experienced and knowledgeable staff guide you through the menu and help select a wine that is a perfect pairing for food and budget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Circa 1886 - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Circa 1886 reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (164)special occasion (161)fit for foodies (137)notable wine list (84)neighborhood gem (49)scenic view (12)great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (10)late-night find (7)hot spot (7)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Amazing!!WonderfulVIPDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I were looking for a restaurant in Charleston we hadn't been to yet and always noticed Circa 1886. The service was awesome and the food surpassed our expectations! We felt very appreciative when the dessert came and they acknowledged our anniversary! It is definitely going to be one of our favorites!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid StandardHalseyStreetGuyDined on 7/17/2014Charleston probably has more great restaurants per square meter than any city of its size in the country, and Circa 1886 is in the top tier. The cooking is adventurous, and the staff is superb. My only slightly negative observation is the room itself. It's a very quiet space, which in a town of noisy restaurants, is a nice change, but it's so quiet that you feel as if you're intruding on neighboring tables if you raise your voice too much. And the decor is dull. In a city with such a competitive restaurant scene, I worry that it's falling a few steps behind.Special Features:
- DeliciousdeloresdayDined on 7/16/2014The desserts here are fantastic and go beyond what I initially anticipated. Very filling and very tastySpecial Features:
- Great Evening!GratefulDined on 7/16/2014Outstanding! That is the one word I would use to describe the evening, the atmosphere, the services, and the food. The staff at Circa 1886 were excellent and they made our evening special. We celebrated our anniversary and the pregnancy of our third child. I was able to contact them and plan the evening out and the staff delivered with style and class! They were the best and everyone made it their duty to stop by and wish us congratulations on both the anniversay and the pregnancy. The food was excellent! I had the antelope cooked medium, and my wife had the pork chop cooked medium well. Both were seasoned to perfection! Everything from the soup to the desert was excellent. I highly recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic birthdayHHJHDined on 7/12/2014We were very impressed with the unique combinations of flavors and beautiful presentation. Our waiter was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTksnooksDined on 7/10/2014Outstanding food. Attentive and friendly service. The antelope entree and the croissant donut dessert were incredible. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Far from the madding crowdOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/10/2014Circa 1886 may be Charleston's most civil restaurant. Far from the hustle and bustle of East Bay and King Steet, it is not part of a restaurant row. But that's what makes it so special. You can engage in conversation without shouting (what a difference), the food is imaginative and the service professional without too much fuss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always impressiveFineDiningFanDined on 7/10/2014We dine here several times a year. Try the chef's tasting menu with the wine pairings. You won't be disappointed! We've never had a bad dish. We've gone with friends, and there's something for everyone. They're always willing to accommodate dietary restrictions. Atmosphere is pleasant and relaxing, not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SupurbItsAboutTheFoodDined on 7/9/2014Creative menu with wonderful execution and and superior service that isn't too stuffy or intrusive. Overall, a truly delightful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014Food was good but a little too "unique" for my taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite in CharlestonTheophanuDined on 7/9/2014I've been trying out the fine restaurants of Charleston, and Circa 1886 is definitely my favorite. I've dined there three times now, and it's always been perfect. I love the quiet atmosphere, good service, and excellent drinks. But what keeps me coming back is the food surprises. Every time, the menu has included food pairings that are unusual, sometimes even sound bizarre---but that are absolutely wonderful together. The place is a delight.Special Features:
- Romantic Fine DiningSherylfayDined on 7/8/2014This was our second visit to Circa 1886 and it did not disappoint. The service was impeccable, the atmosphere elegant and the food delicious. The chef is clearly experimenting with textures and flavors and for the most part it was all quite successful. Particularly notable was a salmon sashimi appetizer that included watermelon, truffles, celery gelee and jicama. These all combined to form a tantalizing first course. Our main dishes were equally delicious: a lobster poached monkfish in a lobster bisque sauce was amazingly good, although the popcorn on top was unnecessary and distracting. The chicken-fried halibut was a surprising twist and quite good. This is definitely a special occasion restaurant & one of Charleston's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!Maryfaith84Dined on 7/8/2014As out-of-towners it can be difficult to find a great restaurant, although after done online research, we decided on Circa 1886 due to the "old charm" it seemed to offer. The restaurant was incredibly beautiful and clean. The food was absolutely wonderful, and our server Charles was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best RestaurantGatorMomDined on 7/5/2014During our weekend stay in Charleston we went to FIG, Circa, and Husk - Circa was by far the best dining experience and had the best food. We did the tasting menu with wine pairings. The wine pairings were a little weak, but other than that, everything was wonderful. We will definitely be going back,Special Features:
- ExcellentMontclairdesignmomDined on 6/27/2014I've been to Charleston twice & made a point of coming here each time. Very inventive cuisine- chef is excellent. Great service, lovely atmosphere. Highly recommend. Excellent choice in an already foodie town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Circa deliciousnessCityOfComptonDined on 6/27/2014My wife and I were in town, and wanted to find a very nice dining experience in Charleston. We settled on Circa 1886, and booked a table a few days before heading into town. The ambiance and staff were great and extremely knowledgeable. The food was fantastic. The chef here does a fabulous job. The winelist, while not mind-blowing by any means, was solid. Highly recommend this place for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable eveningDomingoVIPDined on 6/26/2014Circa 1886 is a beautiful carriage house, serving an impeccable delicious and very well done menu, matched by a very knowledgeable and service oriented staff. I will come back to it every time in Charleston.Special Features:
- Good but not great!RichVIPDined on 6/26/2014Circa 1886 is a special place with good food but not great, my wife and I dined there last Thursday. We found the food inventive and tasty but a bit over the top in its presentation. Her dinner had far too much happening with a pesto sauce then a thyme emulsion atop the entree. I had the antelope and this was wonderful, our starters were good but the scallop sashimi was overpowered by the watermelon. We enjoyed our dinner there but would not return.Special Features:
- A Special Place for a Special DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014We took our 23-year-old recent college graduate here for his birthday dinner. Even though he is young, he is an appreciator of great cusine, especially of locally grown foods. He notices and revels in small details, and Circa 1886 saw to the smallest of them. The food, the service, and the ambience were all of top quality, and our evening was perfect. We'll be back the next time we have a special occasion in Charleston. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2014Really enjoyed the chicken fried fish. What a treat. The entire evening was most enjoyable. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall great experiencechefisch80Dined on 6/25/2014Very much enjoyed the food! Andrew was a very attentive and informed (he did his research) server. Made us feel very welcome. The pace was a bit slow but we were celebrating and did not mind really dining versus the usual Chucktown turn and burn. As a chef myself I really appreciated some of the ideas, the pork was cooked perfectly and the flavors were on point. Thanks for making a special day really great for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner & accommodating cheffoodforthoughtVIPDined on 6/25/2014We stayed next door at the inn and decided to walk over for dinner. Very nice experience with good food and service. Torched scallop, 3 bean salad, strawberry/cream soufflé were standouts for us. Chicken Fried Halibut was on the main course menu and I asked the chef if he could instead just sear the halibut and finish in the oven: no problem for him and fish arrived just the way I wanted it with his sides (probably 2000 less calaries!). While not my top pick in town, we would eat here again on our next trip.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal in CharlestonbobrDined on 6/23/2014Food is eccletic, fresh from the farm with beautiful presentations. It is the best food we have eaten in a long time. We wished we were staying in Charleston another evening.Special Features:
- Very special night!BostontravelerDined on 6/23/2014My wife and I recently had dinner at Circa 1886 and the food was fantastic! The appetizers and entres were all incredibly creative and clearly the work of a very talented chef. My appetizer was shaved scallops on cubed watermelon with a delicious drizzle that made the dish come alive. The monkfish entre was perfectly cooked and served with a unique medley of beans and sauce. We were so excited to see what was next! The atmosphere was very quaint and great for a quiet romantic meal rather than a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ProposalKyle717Dined on 6/21/2014Circa 1886 turned out to be the perfect post-proposal romantic outing that capstoned an amazing and memorable night. The atmosphere was amazing, the wait staff and hostess were awesome, the flowers I ordered were set out perfectly, the food was delicious, and the setting was perfect. I highly recommend Circa 1886 for any romantic outing! I will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousChasladyDined on 6/21/2014Amazing food. Unique menu. Best dessert we've ever had in a restaurant. Service was wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine & Dine MagnificentJunebugDined on 6/20/2014The most wonderful place we have ever been. The "Chef Meal" with wine pairing is the most magnificent, fun and delicious meal we have ever had. It is interesting and fun to see what the Chef will make and what wine will be paired with it . This was our third year at Circa 1886 and we intend on going again next year when we visit Charleston and stay at the Wentworth MansionSpecial Features:
- Awesome foodGreatVIPDined on 6/20/2014Great food, dessert was my favorite part :) cocktails were also great!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date nightDeliciousDined on 6/19/2014This Restursnt was outstanding! The chef knows his stuff. Absolutely fantastic dinner and full of flavor! A must go Resturant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missed ExpectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2014Being number 2 on Trip Advisor I was looking forward to the energy and music of a Halls Chophouse type of place. This place is very quiet and the very young hostess was assertive beyond her experience and set a bad tone right off by recommending we wait 45 minutes for our reserved table in the bar area rather than eat in the bar immediately. We chose to eat in the bar, as we were hungry and had the crab cakes and antelope. The antelope was nice the crab cakes were not bad however Charleston has many places that serve good food. Just expected more from number 2 on Trip Advisor.Special Features:
- Very good but not outstandingMarcoDined on 6/14/2014Service great. We got the recommended scallop shavings over watermellon app. Was a little odd at first, but companion ingredients and sauce made it better. I give it a B, it was a new menu they said so maybe they need to tweak. I had antelope and it was very good and as described, not as strong as steak and sweeter, just wish dish had more. Three slices of 1/8 to 1/4 inches for $36? $12 a slice. Not sure, maybe antelope is expensive to source. If so, I like steak when I go out and so would have picked that over this probably if I would have received more to eat. Chocolate desert was over the top good, my kudos to pastry chef. My wife's dish of chicken fried halibut was outstanding, wish I had gotten that.Special Features:
- A hidden gemHowbdcDined on 6/14/2014We were there for our anniversary while visiting Charleston. Excellent choice fot a romantic delicious dinner. Extensive wine list at reasonable to high pricing. Excellent and knowledgeable staff. The pork chop was delicious. They gave us a complimentary desert in honor of our anniversary. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Menu Comingm216VIPDined on 6/11/2014Our latest meal at Circa was wonderful, but we managed to sneak a peek at the new menu that will be launching soon and we immediately made reservations to try it. Some old favorites, but many new and tasty-sounding dishes, especially the starters. The dessert we tried will be on the new menu and we highly recommend it - the Heirloom Cornbread. Salty, sweet, and a hint of spice - perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/10/2014Excellent food and good presentation. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. This was fine with us this particular night but some May want a more lively place. I could have used a few more choices on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Circa 1886...intimate yes...WolfpackJimDined on 6/7/2014The food when comparing to other Charleston restaurants is a bit pricey and the portions are pretty meager. We expected to share the crab Mac app and though it was delicious was only about 4 bites and for $12. My wife had the pork and I had the beef shoulder. Literally we had about 4 bites each. Presentation fabulous. My beef was undercooked even for medium rare. The service was very good and knowledgeable. The Mansion is a great place. We thought we would get a little more vibrant ambience but it was very 'old fashioned'.Special Features:
- Fabulous.. As AlwaysAndyDined on 6/7/2014Can't find a thing to fault with this perpetually wonderful restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The PERFECT meal!HollyMDined on 6/4/2014Circa 1886 is located behind the Wentworth Mansion, in the old carriage house. The mansion is now a lovely inn. We arrived a little early for our reservation, so we enjoyed a drink at the bar. We were seated promptly, at a table by the window. We looked out on the grounds behind the inn. The menu, (available online), is quite eclectic: beef, pork, salmon, duck, flounder, antelope. We asked our server for suggestions and he was most helpful. Our meal began with the asparagus salad. We ordered the antelope and flounder for our entrees. Everything was perfectly prepared and presented. For dessert, we ordered the Cornbread dessert. Yes, I said cornbread! It was the most creative, beautiful, and delicious dessert ever! Trust me, it is a MUST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1298 reviews are from the Circa 1886 reviews archive.
- Classic high-end diningEpoirrierDined on 6/3/2014Circa is located on the grounds of the beautiful Wentworth mansion. The menu is meant to enjoyed as a three course meal and the portions are a perfect size for diners to do just that - so order all three. We started with the crab mac n cheese which was excellent, not too rich with the perfect amount of crab flavor. Our entrees were the pork tenderloin and the snapper - both were perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. The desserts were also perfect - blueberry lemon icebox pie and the croissant donuts. The icebox pie was actually one the best desserts I've ever ordered, a perfect tart & sweet finish to the meal. The service was impeccable. Circa is not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014We are locals, but had never visited Circa 1886. A friend went there several weeks ago and gave you "high marks" so we thought we would give it a try for our anniversary. We were quite pleased. I had the antelope, med rare, and I talked about it the next day. Our server was quite friendly and proficient. We look forward to returning, with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TumblesChocohaulicDined on 5/31/2014Food, service, atmosphere all exceptional. Something on the menu for everyone from the most adventurous to the picky eater. Our concierge recommended we go into the inn & to the rooftop where the views were fabulous & romanticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.