Big Rock Chop House
245 S. Eton Street
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Big Rock Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bigrockchophouse.com/
- Phone: 2486477774
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday: Noon - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brian Henson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Big Rock Chop House can assist in planning any size event from start to finish. Big Rock is beer & wine licensed.
- Private Party Facilities: Big Rock Chop House offers 6 vivid & distinct rooms that can accommodate from 15 to 400 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Kucher 2486477774x102
- Entertainment: Live entertainment in Got Rocks every Friday and Saturday evening.
A word from Big Rock Chop House
Formerly Norman's Eton Street Station, Big Rock Chop House combines the rustic, casual feel of a mountain lodge with the high-energy of a contemporary club, an eclectic mix unlike any other Metro Detroit dining experience, The menu bursts with enormous, hand-cut, aged steaks & chops, including a 24oz Porterhouse, a 16oz Kansas City Strip Steak, a 20oz or 32oz Jumbo Bone-In Rib Eye, a 12oz Filet Mignon, Center Cut Pork Chops, double cut Lamb Chops & a 16oz Veal Porterhouse Chop. Other selections include Rocky Mountain Chicken, Canadian Whitefish & Dover Sole presented tableside. Adjoining the restaurant is a brew house, with custom, state-of-the-art equipment. Award-winning brew master Dan Rogers has created 4 signature beers to compliment the restaurant's distinctive American fare: Norm's Raggedy Ass Ale, Raymondo El Rojo, Flying Buffalo Stout & Weizenheimer Hefe Weizen. In addition to these, Rogers adds a seasonal & specialty brew to the bar, which he changes frequently.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Big Rock Chop House - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Big Rock Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (43)great for outdoor dining (38)romantic (34)fit for foodies (24)notable wine list (24)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (20)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (14)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (7)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Service and Top Notch foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2013Went in a Friday night. We were seated right away even though we were 20 min early for our reservation. The service was prompt and friendly. The wine list and specials were stellar. I must say it was the best steak I have had in a while. I do not think this is a place fore children and it is not very romantic. The music was strange for some reason the theme song to The Andy Griffith Show was playing. It was kind of odd. Overall I give it a 5 start rating it only had a few flaws but I enjoyed myself as did my friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable MealBoswellaDined on 11/1/2013Forever searching for a replacement for Opus One. We had a lovely dinner, we enjoyed the scene, our wine was fabulous, our server interesting. Not a replacement for Opus One, but a lovely night just the same.Special Features:
- We are never disappointedfoodfreakVIPDined on 10/29/2013We are never disappointed at Big Rock. The menu is extensive and imaginative and anything can be modified to your liking. The wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly, the wine list extensive and affordable and the drinks are generous.Special Features:
- Great experienceBhamdinerDined on 10/26/2013Food, Service, and atmosphere were all great. Very pleasant experience. I would recommend Big Rock to anyone I speak to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Could have Been BetterLWinDined on 10/19/2013The food was high prices which is fine, because it's a great place! The Location is awesome! Sit Right down at my table on a Saturday night but the food wasn't worth the moneySpecial Features:
- Very HappylargeladdDined on 10/12/2013We always have a good experience at Big Rock. great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have never been disappointedfoodfreakVIPDined on 10/2/2013We have never been disappointed by everything about this great restaurant. The service is spectacular, the atmosphere is appealing, the drinks are generous and the food is always reliably good and prepared as requested. We are and will always be regulars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steakhouse in DetroitlivesajVIPDined on 9/28/2013I've said it before, and I'll say it again...this is the best restaurant in Detroit. The atmosphere, the service and the food are all incredible......this is our go-to special occiasion restaurant. Make sure to stop in before or after at the new Griffen Claw brewery down the street (same owners) for a craft beer.Special Features:
- ExcellentCestbonDined on 9/27/2013My wife and I went to the Big Rock Chop house for are anniversary. We have been there before and always enjoyed are meals. The service was wonderful, the food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingNissa88Dined on 9/21/2013Our waiter Kevin was the best we had a great meal and the atmosphere was excellent for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why Make Reservations....ChazDined on 9/20/2013Outside of the reservations not being honored and long wait, everything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new FavoriteBTwoodDined on 9/14/2013When the conversation the next day turns to the meal the night before at least a half dozen times, you know the dining experience was wonderful. A little bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.Special Features:
- Great supriseRandizzle64VIPDined on 9/13/2013I have dined at Big Rock countless times, but last Friday night was special, even for them. They had a special, Wagyu strip, with their legendary house steak sauce that was unreal. The marbling of the steak demonstrated why this rare cut costs what it does, but it was worth every penny. Dining with my daughter, we split the steak and the sesame tuna (trying to be somewhat healthy). While the tuna was good, neither of us could go back after biting into the Wagyu, but then again, not much else could keep up with that kind of flavor. I should also note that we started with their calamari, which is always great, and the duck confit appetizer, which was served with fried brussel sprouts. Both were excellent. and don't forget the cigar bar.Special Features:
- Great overall experienceEdoubled7Dined on 9/13/2013My wife and I had a wonderful experience at The Rock. Very attentive waitstaff, amazing wine list, and everything we are was excellent. Our appetizer, crab cakes, which turned out to be A crab cake, was smaller than expected, but still very tasty. We both had a filet, mine was blackened with blue cheese melted on top and it was amazing. The cheddar garlic mashed potatoes as a side are to die for! Excellent overall experience, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From the moment we arrivedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2013From the moment we arrived in valet thservice was exquisit. The wine list was extensive and very comprehensive yet not overwhelming.the food had the most flavor of any restaurant we have been to in a while. The server was polite and comical but not intrusive. From the calimary to the steak to the creme brule everything was awesome. This was the second time I dined there and will continue to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so GreatBGrazVIPDined on 9/7/2013Although we were seated at a booth, our dinner was ruined by the loud obnoxious man seated behind us. He was not in the seat next to ours but his voice carried easily. We complained to the waiter who informed us he was a friend of the general manager, who at one point did sit with and talk to him. We considered leaving after our appetizer, but did stay. What should have been a very nice, romantic meal turned into a sympathy session for the poor wife and lady who had to take this man's nonstop lectures and complaints. The restaurant knew we were unhappy and sympathized with us but did not offer to move us or ask the gentleman to speak softly.
- a special night outmimosamommaVIPDined on 8/31/2013This venue has an exquisite over the top menu. It is just as interesting to read the menu as it is fun to make your selection. The outdoor dining area is so inviting and the lighting plus torches are a really nice touch. Located in a quaint neighborhood this venue is especially good for groups as we have entertained many clients here. The wine list never disappoints. We have noticed a huge price increase and will have to make this a once a year event...sadly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Rock Chop House continuesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2013Big Rock Chop House continues to be our favorite restaurant! The food and service are always superior!Special Features:
- Excellent service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/26/2013Food was a little salty but overall very good. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great All Around ExperienceGreatlakes1Dined on 8/24/2013We went to Big Rock Chop for our 10th Anniversary Dinner. It was wonderful from the time we arrived to the time we left. • Valet parking, a nice perk • Make sure to make reservations so you can get quick seating • We ordered the Pineapple infused martini's (marinated fresh at the bar) for pre-dinner cocktails. The bartender staff was friendly and very attentive. • The Service was amazing and the food outstanding. We share the King Crab and the Braised Short Ribs. Both were amazing. Highly recommend this place especially if you are celebrating a special occasion—I suspect they do a great job accommodating large groups as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left DisappointedEjwalkDined on 8/23/2013My husband & I went here for dinner & the only reason I'm giving this place 2 stars is because the food was really good. Waitress greeted us shortly after being seated & said she'd be right back to get our drink order. 15 min later she came back & we order our drinks. 10 min after that she arrived with our drinks & we order an appetizer. Meanwhile, the bus boy had cleared our table of the bread basket, bread plates & some silverware. When our appetizer arrived, no one gave us plates or additional silverware to use. We sat there for another 10-15 min watching our server and several others walk by our table. My husband finally got up & asked another server for plates/silverware. By this point we were over this place & their poor/slow service.
- What is better than sittingfoodfreakVIPDined on 8/23/2013What is better than sitting on a beautiful patio on a gorgeous summer night, drinking generous drinks & wonderful, affordable wines & eating delicious food served by friendly, competent servers? We love the fried chicken, tuna & house smoked salmon. The burgers are great, the salmon & tuna entrees are well prepared & the salads are all great.Special Features:
- Business MeetingROCKROZDined on 8/22/2013Perfect amount of privacy and energy and great service !!!Special Features:
- Everything was greatJD0321Dined on 8/20/2013The appetizers, entrees and sides were all outstanding. Dessert was very good as well, although not extraordinary. I only wish it wasn't so expensive so I could dine there more frequently!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We never get tired of BigfoodfreakVIPDined on 8/14/2013We never get tired of Big Rock. The drinks are generous and the choices are endless, the wine list is wonderful and affordable and the staff is only too happy to accommodate. The tuna appetizer and house smoked salmon are delicious and the burgers, steaks and fish are always prepared perfectly. The patio is one of the most beautiful in town. We are huge fans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner!DonSDined on 8/13/2013Always a great time! Services was very good, food very good as always with a very pleasant atmosphere!Special Features:
- AwesomeFoodcritic812VIPDined on 7/31/2013I can't say enough about this restaurant. I always made it a point to eat here when visiting the Detroit area. Now I am up here a lot more and this place always delivers. The cigar bar upstairs is a must. Thanks again for exceptional food and service. You all have one of the best restaurants in the US.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great!NoorisDined on 7/26/2013The employees were very nice, the food was amazing, atmosphere was had a cozy and fun feel to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place. We alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/26/2013We love this place. We always come back for birthdays, anniversaries, any excuse to eat their food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeYummyDined on 7/18/2013Among the many reasons I love this place is that you can not only hear what others are saying they can hear you without yelling. What a unique concept! And the food is woooonderful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/11/2013Food presentation was ok... service was terrible. Slow to the table and then wasn't sure about many food options
- Steak and friendsSandDined on 7/8/2013Excellent service by waiter names Rodney. Super polite and attentive. Very friendly and knowledgable about the food and history of the restaurant. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Rock is always such afoodfreakVIPDined on 6/29/2013Big Rock is always such a treat. The food is reliably good, the drinks are generous and the staff is accommodating. We love the chicken fingers, tuna appetizer, the very fresh and delicious oysters and the fish choices and burgers. It's easy to understand why there are so many satisfied diners.Special Features:
- Not As Good as It Once WasOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/14/2013Very Good: Duck Confit and Gazpacho, which was the soup of the day. Very Disappointing: The Cakebread Zinfandel; The Chicken app and Veal Schnitzel were terribly over breaded and dried out; Branzino, every mouthful was either bones or scales. Our dinner began with server Melinda hovering and staring at us from across the room and then she disappeared for long intervals and ignored us. We decided to go elsewhere for dessert. Also, there were quite a few patrons wearing shorts and flip flops in the main dining room. This was our fourth dinner at this restaurant and unfortunately it will be out last.Special Features:
- The FoothillsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/6/2013We usually eat outside but it was a little chilly so our next choice is always the "Foothills". Big Rock is our choice for anniversaries and other special occasions. The Calamari is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- filet was good not great,liv2eatoutDined on 6/5/2013filet was good not great, red fish new Orleans was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkFoodie1313Dined on 6/1/2013Very loud. If you're looking for a quiet romantic dinner, don't go here. If you're looking for an upbeat fun place, this is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Impressed, unfortunatelyletsdothisVIPDined on 6/1/2013It'd been a while since we were last at BR and I'm struggling to recall what we saw in it before, frankly. The entire experience was, at best, mediocre. Beyond the dining, there was no need for the valet manager to dress down the valet right in front of us because he didn't get to the car in time to open the door for my wife (I got there first) - it made us uncomfortable.
- This place came recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/1/2013This place came recommended so we thought we'd try it out since we're new to the area and it was my husband's b'day. Our drinks/apps were great at the bar and then they sat us outside for dinner. The ambiance was nice but there was nothing but families w/ kids. It wasn't the way I wanted to celebrate my husband's b'day. We had a sitter for our kids so I didn't want to be dealing w/ the noise of other people's kids for our romantic dinner. When leaving, we saw where the couples without kids were sat. Yes, it was nice out but my preference would have been to sit in the more "adult section". Overall, the place was very nice but it wasn't worth the $250+ we spent. And yes, I did let the place know it was a special occasion - they did nothing.Special Features:
- Delicious!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/28/2013Everything we ordered was amazing! I was a little surprised and excited to see uncommon things on the menu, such as ostrich and buffalo. I had the ostrich and it was delicious! Our server was friendly and attentive. We had an excellent experience, will definitely recommend and return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.