Big Rock Chop House
245 S. Eton Street
Birmingham, MI 48009Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Big Rock Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bigrockchophouse.com/
- Phone: 2486477774
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm, Saturday: Noon - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Brian Henson
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cigar Room, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Big Rock Chop House can assist in planning any size event from start to finish. Big Rock is beer & wine licensed.
- Private Party Facilities: Big Rock Chop House offers 6 vivid & distinct rooms that can accommodate from 15 to 400 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Kucher 2486477774x102
- Entertainment: Live entertainment in Got Rocks every Friday and Saturday evening.
A word from Big Rock Chop House
Formerly Norman's Eton Street Station, Big Rock Chop House combines the rustic, casual feel of a mountain lodge with the high-energy of a contemporary club, an eclectic mix unlike any other Metro Detroit dining experience, The menu bursts with enormous, hand-cut, aged steaks & chops, including a 24oz Porterhouse, a 16oz Kansas City Strip Steak, a 20oz or 32oz Jumbo Bone-In Rib Eye, a 12oz Filet Mignon, Center Cut Pork Chops, double cut Lamb Chops & a 16oz Veal Porterhouse Chop. Other selections include Rocky Mountain Chicken, Canadian Whitefish & Dover Sole presented tableside. Adjoining the restaurant is a brew house, with custom, state-of-the-art equipment. Award-winning brew master Dan Rogers has created 4 signature beers to compliment the restaurant's distinctive American fare: Norm's Raggedy Ass Ale, Raymondo El Rojo, Flying Buffalo Stout & Weizenheimer Hefe Weizen. In addition to these, Rogers adds a seasonal & specialty brew to the bar, which he changes frequently.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Big Rock Chop House - Best Restaurants in Birmingham ›
Big Rock Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (42)great for outdoor dining (37)romantic (33)fit for foodies (24)notable wine list (23)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (19)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (14)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (7)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Big Rockdrcunn1VIPDined on 4/5/2014Big Rock's food is quite good but not exceptional. The prices are very high compared to comparable or even better restaurants in the Birmingham/Bloomfield area. If you go, stick to the hamburger, it's $18 for the burger and fries.Special Features:
- Everything was great, whattroytesterDined on 4/5/2014Everything was great, what you'd expect from a first class steak house. Very nice and lively atmosphere. Music is too loud for my taste.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timers myself and my wifeFirstDined on 4/4/2014We where extremely impressed this was our first time to the restaurant and we where treated very well from beginning to end. The food was amazing everything was cooked to perfection will be returning with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top-notchkkujaws1Dined on 3/28/2014Big Rock has never failed to deliver. The food and service were great. Drink options were plentiful and as good or better than other restaurants in the area. The parking situation is a little annoying but this is Birmingham. Valet is a must. They are very prompt. Making the reservation via OpenTable was ultra convenient and the restaurant called to verify.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is an old train station.LTWattDined on 3/27/2014Fun entertaining environment Unique decor. Excellent food. Very pleasant eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningJester35Dined on 3/19/2014The food, wine, service and ambiance were excellent. Will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great service,SashaDined on 3/15/2014Good food, great service, no live music as stated on web site. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night DinnerThatOneGuyWhoAteHereDined on 3/15/2014Would have given it five stars, but parking is a pain when you don't want to use the valet. Maybe I missed something. The food was excellent and the service was exquisite. The staff was friendly and the ambiance of the restaurant was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great appetizers. extensiveMarvinDined on 3/14/2014great appetizers. extensive wine list. my husband had the rib eye. Large portion but a little fatty.Special Features:
- Always a great experience.foodfreakVIPDined on 3/11/2014Always a great experience. Food is delicious-don't miss the grain salad, crispy chicken appetizer with barbeque aioli-yum. Also seared tuna and house smoked salmon-yum. The fish, burgers and meat choices never disappoint and service is the best. Kevin, our favorite server always has amazing wine choices to offer. We love this place!Special Features:
- Poor experience. Poor service.LynnVIPDined on 3/8/2014Poor experience. Poor service. Quality of food very poor especially for the prices. Waitstaff inattentive. Will not return.
- Relaxing Dinning!DonSDined on 3/1/2014Great service from the great guys parking cars to the entire service staff. Outstanding food prepared just the way you request it with enought varieties to chose from that sometimes it makes it difficult to chose from the many great selections. Don & LindaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre FixfoodieVIPDined on 2/28/2014Lovely dinner with the extension of the restaurant week special dinner choices on weekdays. Excellent value and superb strip steak and shrimp!Special Features:
- One of the best kept secrets!!MsLadybug58Dined on 2/28/2014The place is the Big Rock Chop House Restaurant. They are located in Birmingham, MI. It's a great place for foodies. The service is excellent and the food of course is great!!! We found this restaurant during the Birmingham Restaurant Week in 2013 and what a jewel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional!RobinCDined on 2/24/2014This was our first vist and we can't wait to go again. The atmoshere had a feeling of an upscale, up-north hunting lodge. Our International visitor loved the Big Rock Chop House and it's unique menu! I had the filet hamburger--it was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Rock Chop HouseTableFor2Dined on 2/15/2014We went over Valentine's day weekend and despite the restaurant being crowded due to the holiday, the dinner was delicious and the service was great. We did not at all feel rushed, but never at all felt like we were waiting to be waited on or for our food. The resturant is very beautiful inside and we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- BuffaloOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/13/2014Quality of meat and flavor of Buffalo Burgers very good. Suggestion for improvement ; Don't compress meat so tightly into a preformed patty. It's easier to eat, more flavorful and improves the appearance if it at least looks handmade. The uniformity made me think of fastfood and it appeared too much like steak. Otherwise, a very good place to dine . Good cocktails. Would like to see more Old World wines by the Glass.Special Features:
- Great PlaceLamleiaDined on 2/7/2014Never been to this place before! Just went on a whim and tried it! Boy am I glad we did. Our waiter "Rodney" was truly awesome! Everyone from all of the staff was amazing! Had no idea about the cigar lounge. We met more amazing people there who are "regulars" who also convinced us that we must have lived under a rock since we had never been there! We can't wait to go back! We're planning it already! Celebrating our ten year anniversary there was risky since we'd never been but it turned out awesome! Did I mention the food was excellent? The steak sauce or whatever that was, they can give me a bowl and that's it! I have no complaints about anything. Just an all around great "historic" place for adult dining and adult conversation. A Gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerChanelDined on 2/1/2014I booked big rock for my boyfriend's birthday dinner, we initially booked for 2, but changed the reservation to 4 which was great that they accommodated that. We went on a snowstorm day, and valet was quick and alert! The food was great, the scene was fun (even though I thought the restaurant would be empty because of the storm). Our waiter did an awesome job. One steak was over cooked, they brought out another within a timely manner. Absolutely recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long WaitDateDined on 1/31/2014We had a reservation for 8 p.m. And did not get our table until after 9........
- Food was amazingchatnoirDined on 1/31/2014However, our reservation was at 800 pm and we didn't get seated till 830. I understand that it was restaurant week and we did change reservation from 7 to 8, management did the best they could. Dorothy was a great server. We will go back and I'm hoping we don't have a long wait again.
- Good food, but NoisyDaredevleDined on 1/31/2014Biggest knock: There is a large, dominant bar in the CENTER of the dining room, raising the noise level to a dull roar. Considering where the restaurant is located, I was quite surprised that there was valet parking ONLY, meaning no self parking. (I HATE other people driving my car, let alone paying them to do it). Also, they seem to have a mandatory 20% tipping policy (which is, to be fair, mentioned at the bottom of the menu). Why not just jack up. the prices 20% and have it be no-tip? But, I do want to finish by saying that the food was delicious, well prepared, and imaginative. The service was excellant, and the waiter was knowledgable, if a little loud (noisy bar?). And, finally, my car survived the valet, who was very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSparty8Dined on 1/30/2014The food was outstanding, and the service was excellent. In spite of it being restaurant week, we were both pleasantly surprised at how good everything was. After a horrible experience at Eddie Merlots last weekend, it was really nice to come back to our neighborhood gem ! !Special Features:
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/29/2014My fiancé and I are looking at places for rehearsal dinner and we were instantly sold on Big Rock Chophouse. The food, the ambiance and the overall stellar service sealed the deal for us. Great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They must be doing fine...JaysonVIPDined on 1/27/2014The food is fine if not a little pretentious, the NY Strip I had was probably one of the best (but I don't normally prefer that cut of meat). However, at some point, price outstrips quality, and they have surpassed that point. However, they must be doing alright since they seem to be packed every night.
- Excellent ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014After traveling and living in many different places this is by far one of the best restaurants I have been in. I toke my fiancé out for our anniversary she was blown away by the food, and the ambiance. Food was excellent I had the surf and turf and she had the ostrich both entrées were cooked perfectly. The server was great his name was Todd he was right on time not to over bearing but not top distant. Price is pretty decent 200 bucks with the tip I spent but was well worth it.Special Features:
- Mixed ReviewFoodieDined on 1/17/2014My meal was amazing but my husband's steak was meh. He was disappointed in the lacking flavor of his selection which for a restaurant of this caliber, you'd expect a whole lot more. I had the duck dish which was out of this world. The garlic mashed potatoes were excellent too. That was the highlight of his dinner. It was my birthday dinner and because my husband's meal wasn't as good as we had expected, I was overall, disappointed. The service was outstanding and ambience was decent. We were both disappointed that there was a table full of young men seated near us who were wearing tennis shoes, hoodies and jeans in such an establishment where decor called for much better attire. They weren't dressed 'business casual' by any means.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAudayDined on 11/30/2013It was supposed to be an Anniversary dinner, and I had heard they had great steaks. Service was slow, our waiter was nice enough to make up for it, but the steak was overcooked. They next steak was cooked right, but was not a good piece of meat. Some glasses were dropped next to us and they broke, luckily nothing hit us. Even the waiter stated, "What else can go wrong!" They had charged us for the bad steak until we asked for it to be removed. We expected a lot more and were disappointed. Dont think we would return unless it was for some drinks and appetizers.
- One of the BestJMacDined on 11/30/2013If you are looking for a dining experience where every aspect is nothing less than stellar... go to Big Rock.Special Features:
- Perfect Dinner ExperienceTroyDined on 11/23/2013My wife and I have been here a few times... this time for her birthday, and it never disappoints. The fillet is out of this world, can’t find a better prepared steak in the area. Makes you not want to order steak anywhere else after eating here. Great wine list including some rare ones… and you can get ‘em by the glass. Some more pretentious places make you spend hundreds on the bottle. Ususally I only take the time to write reviews on places that stink. But I just love Big Rock! Great menu, great wine and beer options, cool setup and warm friendly atmosphere for a high-end restaurant. Not snooty like some of the places in B-Ham. Friendly waitstaff and fast free Valet. Absolutely perfect! Love it! We’ll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite Michigan placeLesismoreVIPDined on 11/22/2013We have been to Big Rock six or eight times, and we have always had great service, food, and fun. We choose this place when we visit our son in Birmingham. Very expensive, so it is a special-occasion place.Special Features:
- Steak in the heartBDAYDined on 11/20/2013The restaurant had a fun atmosphere and the service was very good. My guest had the lobster tail and liked it. However, after reading about the food on their website, I was extremely disappointed in the quality of the dishes I received. The lobster risotto was so salty it was sent back to be re-made. The filet was absolutely mediocre in appearance, texture and taste. For $75 per person with only one cocktail and without dessert I won't be an effort to return soon or ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stuck us inOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/16/2013We got there and had to wait 15 mins past our reservation. Then they stuck us at a horrible table. After we complained we were told the table is typically not used. So why did they cram us in? Manager didn't seem to care. Food was decent but Not the most enjoyable dinner experience.
- Enjoyable ExperienceanderseneDined on 11/9/2013The food was excellent. The steak, fish, and chicken were cooked to perfection. However the restaurant does not get five start for food because there was no entry for vegans or vegetarians. Granted this is a steak house, however, steak-eating spouses will not frequent a restaurant if their wife/husband can not find a single pasta dish, a salad, or a hearty soup without dairy or meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers and salad wereRobertDined on 11/9/2013Appetizers and salad were excellent. Service was very good without being intrusive. Excellent selection of wines by the glass. The only negative is that the entrees were not hot. Must have sat there waiting to be brought to the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so serviceNicoleskiDined on 11/8/2013I booked a reservation for my fiancé's 30th bday for the two of us and two friends. I wanted a high end place with exceptional food. I called ahead and ordered a dessert to be brought out after dinner as a surprise. We arrived at the restaurant and the hostess flashed a piece of paper right in front of my fiancé that said "cake ready..." Luckily my fiancé didn't see it. The waiter was very slow. We were there 3 hours. At the end of the meal he asked if we wanted dessert!? I had to remind him about the cake. He apologized and brought out the $15 cake that was very small. I was disappointed. The two of us don't get to enjoy a fancy dinner very often and I would've appreciated better service for the $150 check... :/Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!AnnieDerekDined on 11/7/2013My husband and I always enjoy our meals at Big Rock. We go every year on our wedding anniversary and have the same meal we had at our wedding reception (which was at The Reserve). Our most recent meal there was another special occasion. We all enjoyed our steak. My husband and brother wish they would serve more Griffin Claw beers, though. The only offered two!Special Features:
- AwesomeLambtonguyDined on 11/2/2013We have always enjoyed an exceptional meal. Our waiter (Dave) was outstanding, knowledgeable and attentive without intruding. Big Rock has the absolute best steak we have ever had. Great dining atmosphere and wine list.Special Features:
- Great Service and Top Notch foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2013Went in a Friday night. We were seated right away even though we were 20 min early for our reservation. The service was prompt and friendly. The wine list and specials were stellar. I must say it was the best steak I have had in a while. I do not think this is a place fore children and it is not very romantic. The music was strange for some reason the theme song to The Andy Griffith Show was playing. It was kind of odd. Overall I give it a 5 start rating it only had a few flaws but I enjoyed myself as did my friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable MealBoswellaDined on 11/1/2013Forever searching for a replacement for Opus One. We had a lovely dinner, we enjoyed the scene, our wine was fabulous, our server interesting. Not a replacement for Opus One, but a lovely night just the same.Special Features: