Spices Asian Restaurant
3333A Connecticut Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Spices Asian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.spicesdc.com/
- Phone: 2026863833
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 11:30 am – 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm – 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian
- Executive Chef: Jessie Yan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Yanyu Catering has earned instant popularity as well as high recommendation from satisfied customers. This aggressive catering team has received high acclaim for bringing restaurant quality home cooking Asian food with excellent service to their catering events.Yanyu Catering provides party planning and event management to meet all your catering needs from weddings, private parties, corporate meals or corporate receptions and events. Got an idea? Yanyu Catering can create a unique environment filled with wonderful stations that reflect numerous themes.
- Private Party Contact: Joyce Lim 2026863832
A word from Spices Asian Restaurant
Established in 1994, Spices Restaurant has won critical and popular acclaim throughout its history for its specialties in traditional home-style and contemporary Asian dishes. Its stylish look with a long blond sushi bar with lilting music and warm service is perfect for entertaining friends and business associates. Guests are invited to enjoy a full Asian-inspired menu of dishes, exquisitely fresh range of new and traditional forms of sushi and sashimi, extensive wine list and specialty cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spices Asian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (1)Show More
- Some of the rolls were a bitLadiesWhoBrunchVIPDined on 12/10/2012Some of the rolls were a bit smaller than I would have expected, but everything was delicious! Great service - fast and delish :)
- Spices is well named as theirBilliamDined on 12/1/2012Spices is well named as their use of spices is creative, but not over whelming. Very good food, nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- We were there - three adultsSallyVIPDined on 12/1/2012We were there - three adults with three kids - at 7:15 on a busy Saturday night. We had to ask for high chair. I had to ask for a menu, saying, "I would like to order as soon as possible for the baby." I was given a bothered look. It took awhile for the menu to arrive. The food came in dribbles, which would have been okay IF the baby's food hadn't come last and after quite a wait. It's definitley not a kid-friendly place.
- Great for Groups of Friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/17/2012Staff are very helpful and accommodating. Thank you for a wonderful birthday party!Special Features:
- Great sushi and great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/9/2012Great sushi! Service is excellent. They were very accommodating when our group size changed and were also attentive to us and our baby. Great experience and a consistently excellent.Special Features:
- My second time to Spices wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2012My second time to Spices was positive, again. The food is average. I wish they had a more extensive sushi menu but the sushi is fresh and well presented. Great service too.Special Features:
- Great appetizers and entreeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/27/2012Great appetizers and entree selection but not impressed with the maki rolls....
- Food was acceptable but farblipDined on 10/18/2012Food was acceptable but far from good. A big disappointment.
- We had a "meeting" over lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2012We had a "meeting" over lunch and this was just right. Right amount of food, good attention from the staff, not too formal.Special Features:
- Great Service with Great Food!DinerinGtownVIPDined on 10/13/2012The food was excellent. There is enough selection on the menu to please many cravings, or simply return several times to try something new. I was excited to have the Moo Shi with added chicken and my dining partner has the Curry Laksa. Both were great! The portions were great too. I filled up a bit on the Calamari appetizer, so I took the remainder of my entree home. Even better than the food was the service. The waitstaff is friendly and attentive. I appreciated how well they worked together to make sure we had everything we needed and how seamlessly they maintained our table (filling water glasses and picking up plates and discarded chopstick wrappers).Special Features:
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/5/2012We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Spices for my husband's birthday. We were seated at a round table in the side room which made it easy to share conversation and delicious dishes among our party. Service was attentive with a special dessert for the "birthday boy" which was brought by the staff. We enjoy this gem of a casual restaurant and look forward to our next serving of drunken noodles.Special Features:
- The sushi here is really severalmaynardGkeynesVIPDined on 9/7/2012The sushi here is really several cuts above the rest, perhaps the 2nd best in DC. Prices are very fair. Asian main course dishes very good, particularly General Tsao shrimp and GS chicken, both served with perfectly crisp broccoli and basmati rice. Can be rather noisy when crowded. Excellent value.Special Features:
- Highest quality sushi, amongmaynardGkeynesVIPDined on 8/24/2012Highest quality sushi, among the best in DC. Almost every entree and appetizer is good; menu is largely unchanging, with no specials. Can be extremely noisy.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood findKikaDined on 8/21/2012We've been going to Spices for years, as we lived in Cleveland Park for a long time. We know the waitstaff, and they are prompt, and very friendly. The sushi is wonderful. Other menu items are good, too.Special Features:
- Spices always has quick customerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2012Spices always has quick customer service and they serve the freshest Sushi!Special Features:
- Very good, interesting, andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2012Very good, interesting, and innovative food. Spices seems to use a "waiter team" approach, as several servers helped us. These waiters were all extremely attentive. Some of the best service I've had. Water glasses were never less than 1/2 full. Food also arrived very fast and hot.Special Features:
- Great Pan-AsianOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/29/2012Spices has a great Pan-Asian menu. Very good sushi, nice curries, fun range of appetizers and a great bar. A very pleasant ambiance and good value for money keep us returning to this Cleveland Park neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Recommended!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2012Main entrees were slow to arrive, but extremely tasty! Service was otherwise fine, and the space is lots of fun -- very convenient too.Special Features:
- Phenomenal ginger salad andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2012Phenomenal ginger salad and a great fresh sushi selection...among other delicacies.Special Features:
- food was fabulous. we cannotdckidsDined on 6/21/2012food was fabulous. we cannot wait to go back noise was fine as not 100% at capacity.Special Features:
- We always enjoy Spices anddpbeachDined on 6/16/2012We always enjoy Spices and are never disappointed with our food or the service.Special Features:
- Too LoudsuewDined on 6/8/2012Spices on Friday evening 6/8 was fine in all respects except the noise level. Surely someone on the staff can speak to a table of shouters, so the other diners in a full restaurant can enjoy their conversations.Special Features:
- Usually we do take out orOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/9/2012Usually we do take out or come for lunch, so it was interesting and different to do an evening meal. Single best thing: One of the wait staff was astute enough to warn our 2 vegan diners that 1 of the veggie dishes they were ordering was cooked in fish sauce (Who knew? Then she ran down the entree menu pointing out which items were vegan.) Tofu fries are fun. Pan-fried dumplings always a high point -- take out or eat in. Sushi rolls were just what the vegans (large assortment tray) and non-vegans (crunchy tuna and avocado) expected. I often get curry laksa as an entree (soupy dish with 2 kinds of noodles, green beans, tofu & chicken). My husband's fave is General Tao's chicken. It's great that this restaurant is in our neighborhood!Special Features:
- This is my neighborhood restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/5/2012This is my neighborhood restaurant, so I was excited to invite friends who are vegetarian and vegan. Unfortunately, Spices puts oyster sauce in everything, including pad thai, whichwe had never heard of. So the food selection boiled down to two items. If you bring people who can eat anything, this is a great place. It was Cinco de Mayo so all the Mexican places at Cleaveland Park were packed, giving us plenty of elbow room at Spices. I have gone many times to Spices and this was the first time that the service and food selection were fair rather than good. It is definitely worth a try.
- Good food. The dinner seemedChrisPDined on 5/1/2012Good food. The dinner seemed a bit rushed because the appetizer and entrees were sent to the table at the same time. Staff is friendly but not nuanced in the art of service. I recommend if you're looking for good food and a no frills dining experience.
- I ordered the sushi dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/28/2012I ordered the sushi dinner with 2 rolls. The sushi was fresh but a tad too much wasabi. The rolls were fine. Nothing to write home about. My husband ordered the Curry Laska which was very good. Would definitely recommend. My friend had the carmelized shrimp which was also very good. Will go back to try other dishes.
- Tables a little too closeHungrynDCVIPDined on 4/20/2012Tables a little too close together for private conversation. Food and service were good.Special Features:
- I've never been disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/10/2012I've never been disappointed. One of my favorite Asian restaurants in Greater DCSpecial Features:
- A Disappointing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/31/2012We had a group of seven people, which was nicely accommodated at a long table. The food is Pan-Asian, so there are quite a number of choices on the menu. However, the food, itself was mediocre. If you want dessert, the coconut ice crew is the best choice. My husband and I are frequent travelers to Bangkok, so were happy to see Mango Sticky Rice on the menu. Forget it - the mango was bland and the rice was anything but sticky. The worst part of the experience was the service. The waiter was nice, but had a difficult time understanding our English. Even worse was the delivery of the food. They completely forgot my wine order, for one. Then they delivered everyone's dessert but mine, which finally showed 15 minutes later.Special Features:
- Food is so flavorful and wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/25/2012Food is so flavorful and wonderful. The staff is the friendliest.Special Features:
- Good Prixe Fix meal optionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/18/2012Good Prixe Fix meal option was being offered. Sushi and entrees were as good as ever.Special Features:
- Decent place for lunch- didVivaandcVIPDined on 3/15/2012Decent place for lunch- did not try the sushi . Food was a bit bland and the service was spotty.Special Features:
- Cleveland Park Hot SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/2/2012I live in the neighborhood and LOVE to eat at Spices whenever I can. In general the food is moderately priced (not too expensive, but not cheap). The servings are definitely worth it. The ginger salad is to die for, and the sushi is great. I couldn't believe how fresh the fish was, even compared to other local sushi restaurants. The service is consistently solid. You're always greeted promptly and with a smile. I will continue to be a frequent customer at Spices. Plus, they deliver!!Special Features:
- Great restaurant for Lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2012Great restaurant for Lunch. It gets you in and out fast when you're on a time constraint. The food was also excellent and pleased first-time guests that were in my group. Atmosphere was nice and staff gave good service.Special Features:
- Nice and Spicey!!!!MaxxVIPDined on 2/29/2012Took a group of colleagues for a lunchtime birthday celebration and we had a wonderful time. The staff was friendly, the food was excellent, and the service was attentive. I will definitely return.Special Features:
- The server was a little inattentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2012The server was a little inattentive but the food more than made up for it. The soft shell crab sushi roll was a highlight but overall the dinner was great from the cocktails, to the appetizers, to the main course. We made a reservation and they had our table all ready for us when we arrived. I've been here many times and the food is always delicious!Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012I would recommend this restaurant anytime if you want some good food & service. From the moment we walked in everyone was friendly, candle was lit & a couple glasses of water brought while we looked over drink/food menus. The sushi was good but a little too much mayo in the roll they do ask when you place the order if you want mayo or none. Next time I'll go with no. The chicken satay was excellent as well as the General Tsao's Shrimp. My wife had the tempura which came with rice, shrimp, green beans, broccoli, avocado & some sort of root. Staff was very attentive. Our drinks never got half way empty before they came around with a pitcher to refill them. Only con was they didn't give me 50% off my drink which is advertised. Will reSpecial Features:
- Ate some of the rolls, Stir-FriedEverettDined on 2/11/2012Ate some of the rolls, Stir-Fried Basil Leaves with Chicken, and the Aged Tangerine Peel Beef. All were delicious - especially the beef. Super tender!Special Features:
- Food was good. Sushi was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/10/2012Food was good. Sushi was very good. They had a good variety of different Asian items in the menu. Nothing special, but everything was good quality.Special Features:
- OK, serviceable, good if youhappydinerVIPDined on 2/7/2012OK, serviceable, good if you just need a mean, but not special.