1229 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://valanni.com/
- Phone: 2157909494x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm -10:30pm Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm -11:00pm Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm Late night menu served until 1:00am 7 days a week and the Bar is open until 2:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: John Strain
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Private Dining for groups of 10-40! Dining and beverage packages start as low as $17 per person.
We are certain that as a team, we will leave a lasting impression with you and your special guests and will strive to meet your every need.
At Valanni we offer a wide variety of menu items to satisfy every palate in addition to prices to fit any budget. All of our events are handled on a personal case by case basis, with the intent to reach
your highest expectations. Email Events@valanni.com!
- Entertainment: Djs Wednesday through Saturday from 10:30pm - 2:00am
- Special Events: Visit www.valanni.com for up-to-date reminders of special events.
A word from Valanni
Valanni restaurant opened its doors in September of 2000, introducing "Medi-Latin" cuisine to Philadelphia. Situated right off of the "Avenue of the Arts," Valanni has become a pre-theater ritual and place to meet for a night-cap for many who live in and around the neighborhood. The bar at Valanni keeps up with the creative food served by offering an assortment of sangria, mojitos and other specialty drinks. The kitchen is open until 1 AM daily serving Tapas and a Mediterranean inspired lounge menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Valanni - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
Valanni reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (90)neighborhood gem (70)good for groups (59)vibrant bar scene (56)special occasion (53)hot spot (51)great for outdoor dining (49)romantic (48)late-night find (36)great for brunch (20)notable wine list (15)great for lunch (13)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- nice start to an eveningBubbie7Dined on 4/26/2014it was a wonderful way to start an evening that ended at the Kimmel Center. The restaurant had a very energetic feelingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Orchestra GemSargeDined on 4/25/2014Cocktail crowd frequently young, loud and hectic but the service and food satisfyingly complete!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great small platesJerseydinerDined on 4/25/2014Six of us came in for a light dinner before going to the Philadelphia Orchestra. It is a perfect spot for that sort of thing. The food was good, the service was friendly and we had a great time. We had a series of small plates that were a little trick to share, but we made it work. The octopus did not seem grilled and came out with a tomatoey sauce that was disappointing, but it was nice and tender. The bok choy was great. Come to think of it, the whole menu could use more vegetable dishes or side dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brought friends from EuropeHungryOnQuinceDined on 4/24/2014I live in the neighborhood and hadn't been to Valanni in a while because there are so many great restaurants in the area that are a bit closer to my house (I had to walk two blocks to Valanni instead of my customary one block walk). I had two friends in town from Germany and my favorite place was booked up but we were able to get a reservation at the time we wanted at Valanni. I was surprised because it's usually always crowded. I'm so glad I "rediscovered" Valanni. The food was wonderful and my friends were very impressed. We had a tomato mozzarella salad that had a scoop of what they called pesto ice cream on it. It was to die for. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Dinner close to the Kimmel CenterseniorfoodieDined on 4/22/2014A bargain! At Happy Hour, many of the tapas -- definitely enough for dinner -- are half price! So is the wine! In addition, if you show the waiter your tickets to a show or concert, you get a discount! All this, and the food is good! As is the ambience. And the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy HourChrisVIPDined on 4/21/2014This is the place to be during happy hour during the week. Great food and wine deals. Food is always excellent!Special Features:
- SuperbBobbyinPhillyDined on 4/20/2014This is one of our favorites. The brunch is one of the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a night out!mcwbjoDined on 4/19/2014I took my boyfriend to Valanni for his birthday. We made a reservation for a table and arrived a bit early for a drink at the bar. The bartenders (Thanks Joe!) were so much fun and the atmosphere was great so we cancelled the table and ate at the bar. We started with the lamb lollipops which were great although I had expected them to be served on the bone rather than a skewer. We then had the figs wrapped in bacon. I'm not a fig fan but it wasn't my birthday. I am so glad we had them - they were excellent. We finished with the lobster & crab mac-n-cheese. Wow! Perfection. The prices were reasonable, the food was great, the drinks were perfect, everyone who worked there was super friendly and the patrons were also a lot of fun.Special Features:
- A pleasant surprise!beelahDined on 4/19/2014My wife and I were visiting Philadelphia from Pittsburgh and she set up the dining schedule. She mistakenly booked us into Valanni by confusing it with a different restaurant suggestion. Well, after realizing we were in the wrong place we settled in and had a wonderful dining experience. Terrific wide range of "small plate" food and completely delicious. And our waitress and the entire staff were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014Pallela tasted like it was prepared long in advance and was so heavy
- NicecognoscentiDined on 4/19/2014Went here for brunch and the place was empty (apparently the norm). I'm not exactly sure why because the food was great. Had the lobster waffle (they use a fancier sounding name for it), the crab English muffins (same), and cheesy grits. All three tasted good, but the winner was not surprisingly the Lobster waffle. I will put this place into my rotation. There was a hair found in my crab muffin dish, but not only did they replace it , they also comped it off the bill. I wasn't expecting that and so they get kudos for great customer service there! Outstanding! Server was friendly. Like Arnold says, "I'll be back"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but deliciousNewZagats2VIPDined on 4/14/2014The music was so loud, but the food was great! The server was the BEST! :-) Made all sorts of excellent recommendations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love ValanniBigPigDined on 4/14/2014My wife and I try to get to Valanni every time we are in the city. The food is always great, good portions, great cocktails and most important, it's neat and clean. Staff is always polite and your food is out quick. Great neighborhood too. Go. It's a must hit in that neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good fallbackOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014We were going to be in Phila for 1 day only. We decided to book for Sat night, but were a little late and our top 2 choices were all booked up, so we decided to try Valanni based on a pretty good Zagat score. We were very pleased with the decision. We tried a couple of sampler plates and found them to be well prepared and attractively presented. Service was good. The wine list was brief but more than adequate. Being Sat night, the place was buzzing. We were able to score a sidewalk table so avoided what sounded like an energetic crowd inside. My wife especially liked the dressing on the Bibb salad, so we asked if they would be willing to share the recipe. Hope they do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our first visit andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014It was our first visit and had come recommended by a friend. They restaurant was great. Food was excellent, service was also excellent. We got stuck in traffic and was 20 min late for our reservation. We phoned and they held it for us with no problem. Hostess was really nice. We were seated immediately. I can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Valanni is always amazingSunshineVIPDined on 4/11/2014Our waiter John was fantastic. He was friendly, fast and had great suggestions. Our food, as always, was legendary. Valanni's our favorite place to bring friends and family. Warning to all new patrons: The lobster mac & cheese is to die for. You will want it every day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent tapas selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/11/2014This was my second time here. Both times the food was excellent and offered a wide choice in flavor. The tapas is great to allow one to get a taste of many of their dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Paella and Good ServiceMickeyVIPDined on 4/11/2014This restaurant is convenient to the Wilma, Philadelphia Theater Company , the Kimmel Center and the Academy of Music. Food is interesting and well prepared and service is excellent. I recommend sharing the delicious seafood paella.
- Happy HourJessieDined on 4/11/2014Best place for a happy hour!! They best options for drinks and food selections.Special Features:
- Delicious food & great happy houremily6cDined on 4/8/2014I lucked in to Happy Hour where several tapas dishes were half price. The service was attentive and the food was very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good. VerylynsterDined on 4/6/2014The food was very good. Very convenient to the Kimmel Center. Pleasant staff.Special Features:
- never had better service!aliciaVIPDined on 4/5/2014the waiter, scott, was awesome. Super attentive! excellent seafood paella and loved the octopus!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mix & Match and ENJOYSJFoodieInPhillyDined on 4/5/2014While in Philadelphia for a conference, I looked for a spot to reach by tax & not too far. This was a gem! Many choices: various tapas (including great vegie ones!), paella, and other entrees. I mixed it up with tapas. Brussels sprouts with apples, almonds & balsamic glaze was #1 standout. WOW: I would go back just for that. Plus empanadas (ok) & a BIbb lettuce salad with blue cheese and apples (perfect), Still peckish, I added a pork tenderloin tapa. The Oreo ice-cream brioche (can't remember name) was just right. Only complaint: Wine list by glass was a bit sparse, though acceptable. No half bottles either. For a solo diner, I missed those other options. Noise level: high, though my seat by window was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food OK, customer service poorMattZDined on 4/4/2014The good - Partial seating OK. Pleasant hostess. Strike 1: Website says "Happy hour 4:30 - 7pm, 50% off tapas and $5 drinks, M-F". We were told "Oh no, that's only in the bar area, but that tapas menu is more limited". No footnote with that little distinction and the bar area was 6 feet away. Strike 2: When we asked for the check, I asked for the theater discount (noted as up to 20%). She didn't look happy and asked which theater. I showed our tickets for Mask and Wig club. "Sorry, we only do that for Walnut Street, Wilma, and ones like that." Strike 3: After I said offers were online, she said "sorry". As she turned, she rolled her eyes and grimaced. At that point I could care less about the food. No tip, no looking back.
- Small Small PlatesverycriticaltravelerDined on 4/4/2014Typically at Tapas restaurants when you order a selection you get a selection of sizes. Every tapas was pretty much the smallest size you might offer of that dish. Loved the brussels sprouts but the other dishes didn't have much of a twist on typical tapas food. And it was noisy! Seemed like a lively place for a young crowd.
- terrific tapasSallyVIPDined on 4/1/2014Have to go to theater? Stop by here first....great food that comes quickly and is really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUCH A DIFFERENCESadfaceDined on 3/31/2014YESSSSSSS! Valanni! With the help of your incredible manager, Lauren and your incredible server, Dave, Valanni is my favorite again! I didn't think I could recover from my Saturday night experience, but wow wow wow. The food the service the experience! Can't wait to come back. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- She met my mom for the first timeSouthernGentlemanDined on 3/30/2014This was an excellent place for my mom to meet my gf for the first time. The food was excellent and the build your own Mimosa was a treat. Our waitress was very attentive and the music was kept at the right level. The place was grown and sexy to say the least, but also provided a nice atmosphere for daytime conversation. I would recommend this place for almost any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazingTapasloverDined on 3/29/2014We loved all of the tapas we got, except the calamari. Everything was served quickly, hot and tasted amazing. Highly recommend lobster and crab mac and cheese! The menu has a great mix of tapas and full sized plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish we had a different server.SadfaceDined on 3/29/2014I am a huge fan of Valanni, I encourage you to go here.. but please make sure you do not get John, the server. He is absolutely horrendous, in fact, everyone sitting at the tables around me- all agreed. One of the diners next to me actually timed how long it was to get the check- 15 MINUTES! Wow. Drinks never came, he kept blaming it on the bar, dinner entrees came although some were forgotten, dessert was ordered...had to be repeated 1032923 times. No coffee... when it was ordered. It was just so bad, I am going to have to convince my family to come back because I still love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a bar, not a restaurantPhillyVisitorVIPDined on 3/29/2014This is a bar that is trying desperately to serve food on the side.. but failing miserably. About half of the restaurant is bar seating with little cocktail tables, with a huge bar in the middle.. and the other side are normal restaurant tables. Noise level is pretty loud - do not expect quiet conversations here. We came here for dinner and expected to be seated at a normal table.. instead, they showed us (2 people) to a cocktail table with barely enough room for 2 plates and glasses. We were going to be seated side by side, facing the bar... ridiculous! We walked out and said our goodbyes at that point... would never go back .. or if you do, make sure you get a normal table.Special Features:
- yumgjhhDined on 3/29/2014great little tapas place in center city. everything was fabulous. tip: even though this is a fancy place with some great tastes, I have to also mention that they have a great plate of french fries too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at ValanniCaroleBDined on 3/29/2014Dinner at Valanni was an enjoyable meal. We were a group of 5 so we ordered everything to share, covering a wide variety of dishes. I'd do it the same way again. Be sure to save room for dessert!Special Features:
- Amazing paellaDineNgoodVIPDined on 3/28/2014Just as other reviewers wrote, the paella is THE dish to get. Medi-latin plates are good, but our table felt the kitchen could have taken it a little further in complexity of flavors. Oreo beignet is indeed a great finish. High noise level can be festive or downright hard to carry on conversation. Would recommend to others with that caveat.Special Features:
- Center City GemTonyBVIPDined on 3/27/2014This restaurant is small and noisy and I am frequently the oldest diner. Still it has a range of small and large plates at moderate prices. I would not rate it as haut cuisine but everything I have had there has been very good.Special Features:
- OopsverycriticaltravelerDined on 3/26/2014Hi OpenTable... Something in your system made me book this restaurant twice. I didn't show up the first time when I made the reservation so please don't charge the restaurant. I am going tonight and if you can make the correction, I will write a real review. Otherwise I don't know how to correct the mistake that makes you think I actually went there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-ShowScubaDaveDined on 3/26/2014We wnated a restaurant that served a meal that would be too filling before sitting in a show for two hours. This place worked out great. We chose the tapas and were able to eat drink and be on our way to the show in 1 hour and15 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was fabulous!MaxineDined on 3/24/2014The service was fabulous! The food was terrific! I even made reservations for Monday the 31st.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, loud/vibrant sceneHAKRDined on 3/22/2014We had a reservation for 9pm and weren't seated until 9:45. During this time, we sat at the bar and got a drink. The drinks were good and they had some interesting concoctions. They seated us by the open door, so the food got cold very quickly. We got most of the vegetarian tapas and the mushroom flatbread. Everything was good but nothing was exceptional. My favorites were the brussels sprouts and fiery potatoes. I'm glad we tried Valanni. I don't think I would go back for the food, but maybe to grab drinks.Special Features:
- Excellent tapas with a mixDelfoodieDined on 3/22/2014Excellent tapas with a mix of the traditional and new. The wine list is a good mix of old world and new world and all at very reasonable prices. Good vibe at the bar and tables. Overall a fun place to meet, dine and talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.