Vanessa's Bistro 2
1512 Locust St
Walnut Creek, CA 94696Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
Vanessa's Bistro 2
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vanessasbistro2.com/
- Phone: 9258914790
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday & Wednesday: 11:00am- 9:00pm, Tuesday & Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Vanessa Dang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering menu is available for off-site delivery for any size parties. Please give us a call for details.
A word from Vanessa's Bistro 2
With over 25 years of culinary experience, Chef Vanessa Dang, brings to Walnut Creek Vietnamese tapas with a French twist. In just three short years, the success of Vanessa's Bistro in Berkeley has allowed Vanessa to open a second location in the heart of downtown Walnut Creek. With over 60 wines by the bottle, 40 wines by the glass, a full bar, and an assertion of delicious tapas on the menu, Vanessa's Bistro 2 will not disappoint your expectations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vanessa's Bistro 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (43)neighborhood gem (33)great for lunch (27)good for groups (20)special occasion (16)hot spot (15)notable wine list (8)romantic (7)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Appealling for everyoneOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013We had a small family New Years Eve dinner here. To the restaurant's credit they had a regular Tuesday night special (really good deals) that they honoured for the night. My elderly mother, hip sister, game for anything husband all found dishes they loved. There was a variety of flavors, foods and drinks excellent value and a good wine list. The wait staff efficient and accommodating. The desserts were not the highlight but the small 'tapas' which were not that small at all were the highlight. The atmosphere was casual, friendly but somehow we could still have an intimate conversation. My mother loved feeling adventurous but still familiar. I loved that the food was healthy, low carbs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2013Excellent Tapas menu to share with friends. Very creative menu. Local favorite in Walnut Creek.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vanessa's Bistro 2 - Enjoyed by allluvwineDined on 12/31/2013Three of us, our first time there. We all were impressed by the quick service, tasty menu, friendly staff. Can't go wrong here! The Shaking Beef salad was so good! My favorite was the Chicken Clay Pot - lots of flavor - next time I'm not sharing! We had and early New Year's Eve dinner and we all agreed that it was a great place for a different twist on Vietnamese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Sauce Makes the DifferenceDancingWeaverDined on 12/22/2013I had dined at Vanessa's a couple of times prior to this experience and really enjoyed the food. I loved the spicy lime dipping sauce that comes with a few of the dishes and so ordered the Salt and Pepper Fried Prawns and the Crispy Saigon Chicken Rolls because the menu shows both come with the spicy lime sauce. I was SO DISAPPOINTED this time because these dishes were not served with this sauce but came with some very ordinary sauce that made the dishes seem just so-so. I am not sure if I will give Vannessa's another try or not because there are many choices in the area. The staff is very nice and did not disappoint.
- So many optionsdiner2Dined on 12/17/2013The menu has a great variety. I had Tapas and every one of them was delicious. Our waiter was funny, nice and attentive. Lively, fun atmoshphere. I highly recommend Vanessa'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful food and fabulous serviceTinks4greatfoodDined on 12/16/2013Took friends so they could enjoy the Great food and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food- You have to try it!TheresaDined on 12/15/2013My first time at Vanessa's was celebrating a birthday and girl's night out.The food and customer service was so good that the next week I brought my husband and daughters. Big hits on the tapas menu were the sole tacos, garlic butter egg noodles, spicy chicken wings, wok fried eggplant and shrimp fried rice. All the desserts we ordered were yummy- fosters bananas, coconut crème brulee, and the pear and ginger tarte. But hands down, the best was the banana peach bread pudding. As we did not order any dish from the meat or seafood menu at this visit, we are all looking forward to returning to do so. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/13/2013Ipad been there several times and the food has always the same qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodYummyDined on 12/4/2013Love the tapas! Half off wine bottles on Wed is a great deal too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater diningJoanDined on 11/30/2013Great little restaurant and just across the street from the Lesher Theater. The food was delicious especially the papaya salad. We also liked the Bananas Foster for a decadent dessert. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of choices. Can chooseexplorerVIPDined on 11/30/2013Lots of choices. Can choose from small dishes or more of an entrée.. Service was excellent with wait staff with lots of personality - young and speaking excellent English. Very modern restaurant. Desert was also excellent - homemade. We'll go back.Special Features:
- Food is amazing. CocktailsCarolVIPDined on 11/26/2013Food is amazing. Cocktails are perfect. We had the Filet salad it was perfectly cooked. Also had the Chicken wings they were so crispy and good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great birthday!LindaDined on 11/20/2013We took my mother to Vanessa's for her 79th birthday and we were joined by my 3 20something aged kids. From vegetarian to excellent steak bites, AMAZING!Special Features:
- Charming New LocationSteveMVIPDined on 11/16/2013The new venue for this restaurant is very nice, a step up from prior location. The food and service were both very good, as we have come to expect from this establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vannessa BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2013Vanessa's is small and very noisy. Service is courteous and prompt. NOT a place for extended or romantic dining. Location is wonderful -- just a block from our city's Performing Arts Center. You can get "small plates" -- tapas, which are perfect for pre-performance dining. I would go there again -- but, don't try conversing with your companion. It's so noisy that you are hoarse by the time you leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, prices & serviceMarkVIPDined on 11/12/2013very unique dishes; everything Ive tried here has been greatSpecial Features:
- Lunch at V'sRogoDined on 11/12/2013Went for lunch on Tuesday and discovered that they had 1/2 price tapas all day. The pork tacos were excellent, tuna /salmon poke not seasoned well, chicken lettuce wraps good. The bread pudding desert was excellent. Good wine list and they serve half glasses. All in all it was a very nice dining experience.Special Features:
- Update your drinks menu often.RennieMDined on 11/6/2013We dined with friends last Wednesday evening and it took 4 tries before you actually had the wine and beer that our friends ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKOntheroadVIPDined on 11/5/2013The food was ok, the room is pleasant, but the service was inattentive and slow. The overall experience was ok, nothing special.
- This was my first time eatingJaneVIPDined on 11/4/2013This was my first time eating at Vanessa's Bistro. I am not a big Asian food fan so I was not sure how I would like it. Because of all the positive, recent press (such as in Diablo Magazine), I decided to try it. I was very positively surprised by my experience. My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our crab salad entres, which we both ordered, and the lightly battered and fried scampi salad, which we shared. The food was well seasoned and full of fresh vegetables and greens; the crab salad had a delightful ginger-flavored dressing -- a new combination of tastes for me. Our appetites were nicely satisfied, but we did not feel over-full! The service was attentive, and our server did a good job at explaining the very long menu to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceSteveVIPDined on 11/1/2013Great food and selection at reasonable prices. Wine list also very good and reasonable. Service great. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superfra-delicious!!!Tinks4greatfoodDined on 10/29/2013We loved it! Unique, tasteful, delicious food and great service. See you again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vietnamese TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/29/2013Tasty tapas ~ fresh, well prepared, nice presentation. Wait staff friendly and helpful; nice atmosphere!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and friendly serviceMarylouVIPDined on 10/26/2013We have been coming here for the past couple of years. The food has alwasys been excellent and service has always been great. The servers are very friendly. Lately, I have noticed that the cocktails have been 'water down' - there doesn't seem to be much alcohol in the drink and cocktails are not full glass. Cocktails are $5 during happy hour but if they put a bit more alcohol in the drinks and charge a couple dollars more, it would make drinks taste a bit better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a nice dinner at thisDiner123VIPDined on 10/19/2013We had a nice dinner at this restaurant. The dishes were flavorful and portions were generous. The one drawback is that the tables are too close together. It makes dining less relaxing and enjoyable when you have to listen to the loud conversation right next to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG, it just keeps getting better!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/1/2013Went there to celebrate my birthday on Tapas Tuesday...all day, 50% off...AND Avion tequila margaritas for $6! Just what I wanted! Gotta love the fish tacos, chicken potstickers (they're huge!), the "old location style" wings (you have to ask for them)...oh OK, it's ALL good, what am I going to do, list the whole menu?! Thanks for providing a great, consistent place to go with friends and family. By the way, LOVE the signage at your new location! Cheers!Special Features:
- New Location, Good Food!madabouttownVIPDined on 9/27/2013This restaurant recently moved to a new location which provides a better atmosphere. The food is very good and the portions are generous. The prices are reasonable and the staff is very friendly and try their best to be accommodating. I would definitely go back!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLaverneDined on 9/27/2013We have been to this place a few times now. I love it. The food is great (tapas). Service is outstanding. We will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice food. Thought thefoodluvrDined on 9/18/2013Very nice food. Thought the tapas were a bit pricey for the portion size. Restaurant was full when we were there. We found it to be quite noisey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vanessa's Bistro is wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/16/2013We loved sharing mostly vegetarian dishes at Vanessa's. Especially the eggplant! Definitely will return often.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/14/2013I'd eaten here several times before it moved to its new location and always had a good experience. I found the food quality had gone downhill, the presentation not anywhere near as nice and the portion size smaller.
- Restaurant did not open on timebarbsbergDined on 9/8/2013I arrived at the restaurant on time for my 1 pm reservation, and the staff refused to open the doors until the manager arrived. I had theater tickets, and after waiting till 1:10 pm, I left to eat lunch somewhere else. This is not the way to treat regular patrons or prospective diners who have matinee tickets to the Dean Lesher Theatre. The manager, Michael, had assured me by email that the restaurant would open at 1 pm, because I was concerned about making the matinee on time.
- Good food, good service. InterestinJeffVIPDined on 9/1/2013Good food, good service. Interesting menu. Pretty loud
- Chic and tasty680dinerDined on 8/31/2013An urban vibe with flavorful dishes that represent Americanized Vietnamese food quits well. 6 of 7 dishes were spot on. Lemongrass chicken was over seasoned. Claypot chicken, shaking beef, and poke were standouts. Cocktails were stupidly expensive. Don't charge me 11 bucks for decent vonka and add .75 for tonic. The charge for a martini was $3 plus $11 for the vodka. Other tha that, the prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All food was premadeLoveGoodFoodDined on 8/29/2013I enjoy healthy good tasting food. Everything we ordered was pre-made, including our pomegranate martini. I can not recommend this restaurant.
- This was our second time atOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2013This was our second time at this restaurant, and we brought along 2 friends whom never had tapas before. We enjoyed the food and friendly service. However we found some of the dishes a bit too salty for our taste. In this visit, we also ordered the clay pot and found the rice at the bottom of the pot was completely burned (unlike the last time, when it was just perfectly slightly overcooked than the rice at the top of the pot). When we mentioned this to the waitress, she seemed to understand but her explanation was a technical excuse for the kitchen, rather than taking the feedback to the kitchen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food! The menu wasMAWrealtorDined on 8/26/2013Loved the food! The menu was extensive and we ordered several different dishes. We would all go back there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best bread puddingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/25/2013Loved the small dishes and the different combinations of flavors. There's enough on the menu to satisfy a variety of tastes. I also liked the dessert menu. I'll have to go back and try the pear and ginger tart. I chose the banana, peach and raisin bread pudding with ice cream. It was delicious with enough fruit to call it a cobbler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must go backSail8rDined on 8/23/2013I chose this restaurant for my Wife's Birthday because they have a gluten free menu. Actually they have lots of things that are gluten free. I found out after I made reservations that two of our friends would be joining us with their baby. I was a little unsure about keeping the reservation here, but I decided to just change it to 4 + baby and go for it. I could tell that they don't often have babies, but there were a few families seated in the restaurant. They gave us a high chair, found an extra chair for my friends to put their baby bags on and were quite attentive. The food was great, the wine was great, the service was great. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vietnamese Tapas with French Twist!BartDined on 8/22/2013Server was very helpful with suggestions and sequencing the tapas. Drinks: Mojito - stiff and tasty. Basil Bloody Mary Martini - light on vodka. Tapas: Quail - Hard to get around the bones but worth it. Poke - mango twist on a traditional Poke but needed more fish. Salt and Pepper Shrimp - best thing we had. Incredibly light deep fry with veggies and a sweet&sour dipping sauce. Filet Mignon Carpaccio - nice but the sauce overpowered the meat. Entree: Garlic Shrimp and Noodles - shrimp were cooked perfectly with a nice sauce on the noodles and veggies Dessert: Bread Pudding - mango and bananas made the dish. Pecan Pie - not too sweet so you could taste the nuts. Will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.