Vanessa's Bistro 2
1512 Locust St
Walnut Creek, CA 94696Neighborhood:
VietnamesePrice: $30 and under
Vanessa's Bistro 2
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.vanessasbistro2.com/
- Phone: 9258914790
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: 1:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday & Wednesday: 11:00am- 9:00pm, Tuesday & Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vietnamese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Vanessa Dang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering menu is available for off-site delivery for any size parties. Please give us a call for details.
A word from Vanessa's Bistro 2
With over 25 years of culinary experience, Chef Vanessa Dang, brings to Walnut Creek Vietnamese tapas with a French twist. In just three short years, the success of Vanessa's Bistro in Berkeley has allowed Vanessa to open a second location in the heart of downtown Walnut Creek. With over 60 wines by the bottle, 40 wines by the glass, a full bar, and an assertion of delicious tapas on the menu, Vanessa's Bistro 2 will not disappoint your expectations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Vanessa's Bistro 2 reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (44)neighborhood gem (31)great for lunch (26)hot spot (16)good for groups (15)special occasion (11)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (8)late-night find (6)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Very good food for good price.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014Wonderful quail tapas, great entres, dessert a bit if a let down after the wonderful tapas and entres. Will come back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clay pot chickenDmcaVIPDined on 5/21/2014Had the clay pot chicken ... Delicious! Our server was friendly and very good. Will go back for wine Wednesday. 1/2 price bottles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LacklustercooldaddyoVIPDined on 5/17/2014Our first visit and experience, several months back, was fantastic; good food, good vibe, good time. This last visit, Saturday night, not so. At the onset, we wife questioned the lack of carbonation in her cocktail, and whether soda was actually used; the server's reaction made us feel as though we had just asked her for a personal loan. For the entree, my wife ordered what she had had last visit.....and loved; the crab salad. The server informed us that they were out of crab, we asked if we could substitute shrimp. When the salad came out, we were told they were out of avocado too? The salad consisted of just boiled shrimp on top of a bed of lettuce.Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!TattaaVIPDined on 5/14/2014Great food! Great Service! Our favorite Waitress is Lauren...friendly, fun, and on top of it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable fine dininglarrytheoDined on 5/11/2014We went to Vanessa's for a combination Mothers Day/birthday celebration. Nice but not high-toned, Vanessa's was excellent for a special occasion meal when we didn't feel like going too over the top. Food was great; we started with the beet salad and soup, then had the baked petrale sole, filet mignon, and cumin marinated prawns with garlic noodles. Everything was very tasty and well-presented. The service was just great: attentive without being overbearing. Clearly this is a family operation, and it relies on the time-honored tradition of competing with The Big Boys by giving excellent value and friendly service, and being aware of and sensitive to the community. Great food, relaxed feel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceGottaHaveItDined on 5/11/2014As usual, the food was Excellent. Can't get enough of it. There were 7 of us who went, 5 of which have never been. They all loved it and have mentioned that they will definitely be back.Special Features:
- YUMGFFOODIEDined on 5/10/2014This is the place I ALWAYS recommend to friends looking for a great meal, lunch or dinner. The food is fresh, fast, and delicious. their GLUTEN FREE menu is the reason I started going there. Myself begin gluten free and my roommate being Dairy-free makes it quite challenging to find a place to eat. Vanessa's accommodates all our needs. And did I mention all the awesome happy hours? theres one every night pretty much and all day on sunday. One word. GO!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/10/2014The food and cocktails were outstanding. Our waiter, who said he was an owner, was initially quite attentive, but when we finally did choose our menu items, it was hard to get his attention. His spoke English pretty well, though he was very casual and his grammar was pretty poor. That did not make a good impression. My only other complaint is that I used my Passport Unlimited card (which gives me a free entree). He was VERY indiscreet about it - I had sort of hid it under the credit card and he basically took it out and threw it back on the table at me saying he didn't need it. Embarassing!!!! You are NOT supposed to do that!Special Features:
- Not So GoodComidaVIPDined on 5/8/2014The food was disappointing, not very flavorful. I would not go back.
- Consistently excellentDrimbleWedgeVIPDined on 4/27/2014I have been to Vanessa's about once a month both at their old location and now at their new location over the last few years. As you might infer from that statement, I have many favorite items on the menu I get every time. Vanessa's has been consistently excellent--not once have they had an 'off night'. (I can *not* say the same for the other restaurants I've frequented).Special Features:
- Needs some etiquette trainingballerinalitaVIPDined on 4/26/2014The food is excellent. The flavors are amazing and the portion size is perfect. The only critique I have is of etiquette - i.e. when to serve the entree (preferably after the appetizers, not before), wait until everyone is done to clear dishes, etc. But everything else was perfect.Special Features:
- Great TapasFoodloverVIPDined on 4/24/2014This was my first time at the restaurant but it definitely won't be the last. My sister and I shared four Tapas plates and they were all excellent. There were others on the menu that we wanted to try but we'll have to save that for next time. Even our brother who isn't a real fan of Vietnamese food was converted by the steak salad.Special Features:
- Diner123VIPDined on 4/19/2014We came for happy hour and left extremely satisfied. The restaurant has a very extensive happy hour menu (with generous portions) and everything was really tasty. What's nice is that happy hour is also on weekends, not just weekdays. We will definitely be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A loud DINnerPalmerDined on 4/18/2014Love the food and drinks here - actually better than they were at the former location a few blocks away. But the room upstairs (at least the night we were there - a Friday) was deafening. Might have been the two foursome tables across the room that seemed to be having a decibel duel, or maybe it was the sound funneling up from the happy hour downstairs. Whatever it was, our party of four finished a fine meal but were happy to get outside where we could actually TALK to each other. Unfortunate, because it really is a great place for food and drinks. Just bring pens and post-it notes on Friday nights?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatingwellintheEasBayVIPDined on 4/15/2014The food is excellent. We hope they do well. The tapas are great and they have a good happy hour.Special Features:
- MimiVIPDined on 4/15/2014Our first visit here and the tapas were great. Can't understand why it wasn't packed! Wll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best lunch half-price tapas TuesdayLivetoEatDined on 4/10/2014Enjoyed lunch with dessert with a friend one Tuesday, with their half-price tapas regular special. Then returned for dinner with our husbands the next week. We arrived with reservations before 6, but were told that happy hour was over "1 minute ago." Sadly, one of our orders was wrong. We waited. The fried calamari appetizer had five bites of calamari cowering in a sea of lettuce for $9. Too noisy for conversation at dinner. Lunch offers special most days, and if you opt for dinner...get there well before 6 pm to enjoy that tasty drink for less than $10. Lunch portions are just right. Plan to spend a bundle to satisfy a dinner appetite. Best for anyone under 40 with a healthy paycheck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the Vanessa's In Berkeley.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/9/2014I love the Vanessa's In Berkeley. We had a wonderful time in walnut creek. The food was good, but salads were very underdressed. Lots of plain lettuce. Beef vermicelli salad which I love was disappointing. The staff were absolutely wonderful. Helpful, friendly, fun but never intrusive. I will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!RonniVIPDined on 4/9/2014Consistently good, delicious food, great service, and reasonably priced!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bloody Mary EVER!TerNeilDined on 4/9/2014Good food - Fish Tacos (Tapas Plate) , Beet Salad (Yummy!) however the salmon I ordered was - undercooked, raw inside even after sending it back. On the other hand, the best Bloody Mary EVER!. Good friendly service. Upper scale clientele. Good sized Tapas plates at happy hour. I'll go back for sure when in town for business.Special Features:
- Try Vanessa's!SusanVIPDined on 4/8/2014Everything was delicious and we can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fast service great foodGaiandKDined on 4/5/2014We went there prior to a play finished right on time. The service was quick and friendly, the food even better. You need to try the pecan pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and food!KB2014VIPDined on 4/4/2014Small plates, tasty dishes and the service was very good. Clean, very willing to accommodate your needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent. LovedCaymanmama43VIPDined on 4/4/2014The food was excellent. Loved the Shaking Beef Salad and fried shrimp on the small plate. My dining companion had never had green papaya salad before and fell in love with that. Service could have been a little better, but it was pre-theater time on a Friday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Asian TapasLadybugDined on 4/4/2014Small restaurant with lots of activity during lunch. Front of house was under staffed, food was delicious, & noise level was comfortable to have conversation w/ friend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeakOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/22/2014The server brought out a dish I didn't order, and left us with this food In front of us , for ten minutes before the waitress came back. We thought it was part of the meal so we ate it and then were charged for it. The hostess was rude. It was loud and we did not get a window seat that we requested on the reservation even when there was one available. We will not go back here again. Noise level- loudSpecial Features:
- Vanessa's II is tops for VietnameseMarkVIPDined on 3/18/2014this is one of my go-to places for lunch in Walnut CreekSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/8/2014The menu was full of great options and appreciated the gluten free options that were listed so I didn't have to ask so many questions. Looking around at other tables, I really want to return and try what we didn't order. Beautifully presented! Service was just ok. She didn't ask if we wanted more drinks until our food was gone. She also shared more of the restaurant specials with her other customers but failed to tell us. We will be back, hopefully the service will improve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been toVanessa's severalOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/1/2014I have been toVanessa's several times before. I was a bit disappointed in the food this visit. The quality just wasn't as good as past visits. I doubt that I will go back.
- Walnut Creek GemPatutiVIPDined on 2/26/2014Vanessa's Bistro 2 has become our Wednesday night habit! Fabulous Wine list and the food is outstanding every time! The spicy salmon tartare and the crab salad have become staples for us! Thank you for putting your heart and passion in every meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to VB2 on 3 separateSheridanDined on 2/25/2014We have been to VB2 on 3 separate special occasions, and they were made all the more special by LAUREN our server. She knows the menu inside and out, makes valuable suggestions without being pushy and gets involved with her clientele in a way that enhances the experience. We ask for her table now!! we have recommended VB2 to several friends as well as a chef/caterer relative who worked at French Laundry and others in SF. She loved it as well!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantCALadyDined on 2/25/2014We recently moved to Walnut Creek and love trying new restaurants. Vanessa's Bistro was recommended and it was an instant winner. We love their diverse menu and have been back several times trying new dishes. A bonus on Tuesday is that all Tapas are half off. The services is friendly and attentive and listen to our requests. This is a restaurant we will return to often.Special Features:
- New findLuv2goOutDined on 2/22/2014A new find on Yelp as we were in the mood for a quaint tapas restaurant for my husbands birthday. Great atmosphere and outstanding service. The favorite of all the entrees was the surf and turf.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly good foodnewbiefoodieDined on 2/19/2014I've been here maybe siz times now. I am really impressed that the quality is so consistantly good. The Maple Duck Confit wraps are wonderful - the salmon carpaccio had lots of zing, but didn't overpower the salmon - lemon grass chicken absolutely perfect. Good selection of wines by the glass (Wednesday is half price on all bottles of wine). Nice people - good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never going backOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/16/2014I made a reservation for two through Opentable and arrived on time. It was busy and noisy in the restaurant. The hostess asked me to wait. After 5 minutes, she took me to a table near the kitchen door. The table was not set up and was in the flow of traffic to and from the kitchen. There was an empty table in a different area. I asked for the other but was told it was for someone who made a reservation. I reminded her that I had a reservation as well and was on time. She refused. I told her that I was not dining there anymore and left. It was such a disappointing experience.
- Fair EnoughJules2VIPDined on 2/16/2014Vanessa's was fair enough and average to below for the discerning foodie or wine enthusiast. Every wine I tried was one dimensional and fair even on the regular menu. Do not go for the wine! The atmosphere is energetic and loud and the seats are quite close to each other. Service is with either an edge or non-challant and the food was average to good. I did however love the beef capaccio! Definitely worth the try. Probably geared to a younger crowd who wants to go on a date to restaurant that is fun and lively but not necessary to have great food and wine. Not fit for foodies but fit for a vibrant and youthful crowd.
- Love this place!MichelleDined on 2/14/2014Great food with amazing flavor. I love the small plates and the variety of food you can choose from. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Not worth the drive and moneymsmith13773Dined on 2/14/2014Expensive and very mediocre food. Nothing Vietnamese about the food. Small portions for entrees. I went home and ate cereal afterwards. Definitely not recommended.
- Surprise FindErnieDined on 2/14/2014Excellent restaurant that is hidden among the other great restaurants in vibrant Downtown Walnut Creek. My wife and I went for Valentines Day and we both loved it. We both had the surf-turf which was a center cut filet mignon placed on bock choy with a plate of "gravy" or sauce. Was very tasty. On top of the filet was a 2-3 oz lobster tail which tasted exquisite. Very extensive wine menu but we stuck to the well stocked bar. For dessert, we shared a Banana Foster in which the sauce was excellent. Definitely a place we will come back to.Special Features:
- Valentine's Day ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014Dined on Valentine's Day and it was great. Ordered from the special menu. The hubby got the Lobster bisque and was not to thrilled about it. The flavor was good but the consistency was thin. Bisque is usually thicker than stock but smoother than chowder. It should also be rich and creamy but this one was thin like water. While some bisque don't have much texture, this one didn't have any. We ordered the fried shrimp for our appetizer and for our entree's, the salmon with pad thai and a scallop dish. All of that was excellent! The ambiance was nice. Not too loud, just perfect. They have a good wine and champagne selection as well. This wasn't my first or second time here but its time a make a comment. Never any complaints from me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.