Max's Opera Cafe
601 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Max's Opera Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maxsworld.com/
- Phone: 4157717300
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Carlos Salcedo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have on -premise catering services, perfect for office lunches, meetings and less formal parties. Max’s Delivery or To Go can bring our fantastic food to you. We will deliver within San Francisco, or you can pick up your order at a predetermined time, for a fantastic yet cost effective event. For an additional fee, Max's offers service staff for set-up and maintenance of your event. Please contact our Catering Department for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Max's has a semi private dining area that can accommodate up to 48 people.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Adams 415-501-0222
- Entertainment: Max’s at the Opera Cafe features live music seven nights a week. Servers not only provide guests with superior service but entertain them as well. Diners can expect an array of musical styling's ranging from Opera to musical theater. The "singing servers" are accompanied by a live pianist, who from time to time will perform for the crowd. The entertainment begins at 6:00 pm Monday- Thursday and 6:30pm Friday –Sunday.
A word from Max's Opera Cafe
For over 25 years, Max's has served America's favorite foods with an upscale style at affordable prices. Boasting "everything you've always wanted to eat”, only at Max's will you find a corned beef Reuben, Chinese chicken salad, rib-eye steak, BBQ ribs and Roma pasta all on one table. And for those with a sweet tooth, Max's sinful; award winning desserts will keep you coming back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Max's Opera Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (44)neighborhood gem (42)good for groups (34)great for brunch (29)kid-friendly (23)fit for foodies (17)late-night find (15)special occasion (12)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)romantic (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- If you are going to an eventOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014If you are going to an event at Davies - it's convenient to eat here. The food is OK - but the service is poor. The vibe lacks any energy or enthusiasmSpecial Features:
- My father has heard so muchDiamondNtheroughDined on 3/1/2014My father has heard so much about Maxs and couldn't wait no longer to go try it for himself... What a great birthday experience he loved it!!! Coodles for me... YaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So averageMistereksDined on 2/28/2014Not much here but overpriced, very average deli food.
- Great improvementMusicloverDined on 2/28/2014Menu has expanded over past. Excellent choices and our selections were well presented, by a friendly and knowledgeable server and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Conveniently locatedThosDined on 2/28/2014Max's is conveniently located close to the Opera House and Davies Hall and has a quirky, fun atmosphere complete with an occasional singing waitperson. The wine list has very drinkable wines at popular prices and the portions are generous while the food though not haute cuisine is very good.Special Features:
- Good food and service great...petaluma1853nativeDined on 2/28/2014My wife and I enjoyed our meal before going to the symphony.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good for before a concert.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014Very good before a concert. a lot of food, so you can share a plate. Make a reservation for any time after 5 PM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre-balletsupersusanDined on 2/25/2014this is a reliable convenient restaurant for pre-ballet dining. I've been coming here for years. On my most recent visit, they prepared a pastrami sandwich for my companion "off the menu." She loved it! My linguini dish was excellent--lots of salmon! The sauce was not overpowering. What can I say--always good! Service also allows you not to rush--tell the server and he/she will make sure you don't have to rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only a block from the balletsnashDined on 2/25/2014Only a block from the ballet and Davies Hall. Always dependable. Happy to be able to book a table with open table, thank you! And I always ask for Michael as he is terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My daughter and I likes chickenKimmyDined on 2/23/2014My daughter and I likes chicken matzo soup. My husband likes pastrami sanwich. The service is good. Love this place
- Dinner on the go!ninav364Dined on 2/22/2014We had a dinner with an old friend - between the visit to Asia museum and a concert in the area. Thanks for the OpenTable, we had a reservation and got a table soon, as the place was a mad house. Local crowd likes the extensive menu, so did we. Our server Evan was very attentive and changed burnt latsces for me twice. Other than that, chopped liver and salads were good. I am not sure i want to came back at the same busy time of the day, but they definitely have some rare dishes on the menu.Special Features:
- BalletDomoDined on 2/22/2014Before or after the ballet this place is perfect! We absolutely love coming to Max's. I've recommended it to many people, and introduced several friends to it. Thanks for your service and the fun food. Reminds me of New York.Special Features:
- Nice place for a bite to eatMallenDined on 2/21/2014Nice place for a bite to eat or a meal after the symphony. Menu has a good selection of sandwiches, small bites, and entrees - and all six people in our group left satisfied. Service was very good - waiter was efficient, friendly, and just seemed like a nice guy. We had a good time and will keep Max'sin mind the next time we go to a concert in the neighborhood. Live piano music made dining even more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliablly GreatevieDined on 2/21/2014I had the Pan Seared Salmon w/ quinoa and it was awesome. My usual cheesecake was perfection. I always enjoy my visit to Max's.Special Features:
- Best Deli outside NYCJBW1Dined on 2/20/2014Overstuffed sandwiches, variety of sides (all very good), excellent service. Full dinner mains also very good. Reservations honered. The perfect place for a meal before the opera, symphony or ballet. Not bad afterwards as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great chicken livers!NighOutDined on 2/18/2014Oldie but goodie with a lot of character and no yuppies... portions are very generous, food is all american good....we went before the movie at Opera Plaza and had good time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Max's is a long time go tokathyDined on 2/1/2014Max's is a long time go to place for pre and post show dining. They have a pianist in the evening, sadly we only caught one tune before he packed up. Service is always friendly. Portions have shrunk while prices have risen slightly. The restaurant was fairly empty; we came in at 9:45 and ordered the Russian cabbage soup, chopped liver appetizer and beef brisket. Desserts are good. Order the small size if available; it's plenty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The hamburger was tasteless.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014The hamburger was tasteless. I asked for a pickle, but it never came. The waitress forgot my cabbage soup, then brought it with the hamburger. The soup was good but greasy. It took a long time to get the bill. It was a busy night and they seemed understaffed. I should have ordered the Rueben,I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went to the San FranciscoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014We went to the San Francisco Ballet GOOD FOOD And with in walking dist. of the Opera HouseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close and Charmingfan4lifeDined on 2/1/2014Max's Opera Cafe is located close to the Opera House, within walking distance and provides an extensive selection of food choices. It is crowded and noisy and the receptionist could not find our Open Table reservation until the manager came over and found it was first on the list. The service was prompt and excellent, and the food good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre-SF Ballet lunch.BalletgoerDined on 2/1/2014Max's is very accommodating and provides quick service, but you never feel rushed. Love their food, especially the salmon salad! It's best to make a reservation on performance days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was fineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014We went for dinner before the symphony. I felt really young, as most of the crowd was the older, symphony/opera/ballet crowd. But other than a bit of slowness getting our drinks from the bar, it was fine. Max's has really cut back its menu from a few years back. But it was still fine. Not outstanding, just fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, indifferent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/29/2014We can always count on consistently good food here. But the place needs a major overhaul with slitting banquettes, etc. Our server couldn't have cared less, no water refills, no asking whether we liked our meal and flagging her down for the check.
- Diner style with classOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/26/2014Went for lunch before the symphony and the service was fast. All of our meals were more than enough, as a matter of fact, I shared some of my salad with another and still had leftovers to take home. The waitress was very accomodating and the wall above the service area was very entertaining. Didn't have enough room for dessert, but, they really looked decadant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where did the GOOD Max's Deli go?serve2allDined on 1/25/2014Yes, the matzo ball chicken soup was very good...but what happened to the brisket? Cold, dry brisket sandwich tasted like rubber. Traveled from Berkeley just for a taste of authentic deli and wound up with a miserable brisket sandwich on 2 day old rye bread. What a shame...Special Features:
- Not the Old Max'sBobinsfDined on 1/15/2014Have been going there for many years, often before the symphony. For the past few months, the menu has been greatly slimmed down. Half the fun used to involve pouring over many pages of possibilities. Now it's all reduced to a single double sided sheet with mostly salads, sandwiches, and a few main dishes. The Cobb salad I had was mediocre, though my partner's Thai chicken salad was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-symphony regularsMusicloverDined on 1/11/2014We always eat here pre-symphony. The food is reliably delicious, and the prices are reasonable. The waitstaff is always friendly and attentive. And they have us in and out in time without feeling rushed. The portions are huge, we never make it to dessert, bu walking past them on the in, they all look very tempting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge portionsRobertaMDined on 1/11/2014I am a bit fan of Max's and have been coming here for years. This location features some wonderful singing servers which is always fun. The portions are ginormous so be prepared to get a to-go box or split your entree with someone. Salads are healthy and fresh. Servers are always helpful and happy to adjust for my dietary needs. Great place to meet friends before a play, the opera, symphony or City Arts and Lectures event. They will have something for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great for lunchGinnycatsDined on 1/9/2014Always enjoy great food, generous portions, excellent service at Max's Opera Cafe. A great place to dine before or after the opera, symphony or ballet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real good pre-symphony concert mealROSFO1914Dined on 1/8/2014I had the opportunity to come here before going to the Symphony concert in the evening and the food was overall very good. This is quite a ritzy, upscale place worth getting dressed up for, and their carrot cake was DIVINE! i would recommend saving room for desserts like this one, because the portions are quite generous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too ColdLauraCDined on 12/8/2013Let me preface by saying that I love this place - it's good solid fare and you know what you're getting every time. The matzo ball soup is always a winner. It was unfortunate that they did not have adequate heating on this evening. I will come back because I know that this is not the norm and the whole Bay Area was suffering from the frigid weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food for adultsJB13Dined on 12/8/2013Delicious food for adults and kids. Fun ambience. Our family always goes here when we come to the symphony.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service at Max'sEDWARDDined on 12/7/2013The food and service at Max's Opera Cafe were both good, and my Wife and I enjoyed the tuna melt and chicken sandwich that we ordered. The waitress was attentive and we had a quick lunch before attending a matinee performance at the theater. While there is nothing special about this restaurant, it is more than adequate for a quick meal when near the Civic Center.
- oopserechtDined on 11/29/2013ok it was an off day and everything else was closed for lunch but maybe next time, Mc D?
- Thanksgiving Dinner w/ MomDaughterAndMomDined on 11/28/2013Nice traditional American diner with decent food. It was entirely as expected and both of us were satisfied. I'm so ashamed I miscalculated the tip and under-tipped!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best And Least Expensive In TownTrap41Dined on 11/28/2013I can't believe Max's Opera Cafe was not included in your list of places to dine on Thanksgiving. We have been going there for the past 4 years and it's unbelievable. I had a complete and huge turkey dinner (lots of dark and light meat), mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce and rolls all for the price of $16.99! One of my friends had lamb - $17.99 and he got 3 enormous, thick slices of lamb. They also serve a ham dinner. For $21.99, you can get 2 meats but this would be way, way too much food. If you want dessert or drinks, that's extra, of course. We dined at 3:00 and it wasn't even half full so they have room for plenty more of your readers.Special Features:
- Great place, but not on a holidayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/28/2013The turkey was dry and the service rushed. Odd as i usually enjoy my time here.
- As ever, a local staple, Max'sHeidiDined on 11/27/2013As ever, a local staple, Max's works for most occasions...this time for a pre-Thanksgiving dinner with family who cannot be with us on Thanksgiving Day serving turkey and trimmings every day of the year. We always go early (before six) to find easy parking and a quiet dinner in a booth. Reservations now assure no waiting. For those who enjoy live piano and opera, seating after seven is a must. But don't go when the Opera, Symphony or Ballet are performing without reservations or you will wait!Special Features:
- Tasty!geebeeDined on 11/25/2013The vegetable sandwich on ciabatta roll with artichokes, portabello mushroom was outstanding! as was the accompanying salad! Ready to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been in the city forEllemceeDined on 11/25/2013We've been in the city for years and Max's was always a decent choice you could count on to be consistently fine. Last night it wasn't; the turkey is now shaved thin and not in the thick slices it used to be; mashed potatoes were cold; burger was mediocre, mac and cheese was bland... The meatloaf was fine but nothing to write home about. Maybe we hit a bad night and I'm sure we'll go back at some point--but it was really sub-thrilling, and with all the other options, I think maybe Max's should up it's game to at least what it used to be?Special Features: