Max's Opera Cafe
601 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Max's Opera Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://maxsworld.com/
- Phone: 4157717300
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Carlos Salcedo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have on -premise catering services, perfect for office lunches, meetings and less formal parties. Max’s Delivery or To Go can bring our fantastic food to you. We will deliver within San Francisco, or you can pick up your order at a predetermined time, for a fantastic yet cost effective event. For an additional fee, Max's offers service staff for set-up and maintenance of your event. Please contact our Catering Department for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Max's has a semi private dining area that can accommodate up to 48 people.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Adams 415-501-0222
- Entertainment: Max’s at the Opera Cafe features live music seven nights a week. Servers not only provide guests with superior service but entertain them as well. Diners can expect an array of musical styling's ranging from Opera to musical theater. The "singing servers" are accompanied by a live pianist, who from time to time will perform for the crowd. The entertainment begins at 6:00 pm Monday- Thursday and 6:30pm Friday –Sunday.
A word from Max's Opera Cafe
For over 25 years, Max's has served America's favorite foods with an upscale style at affordable prices. Boasting "everything you've always wanted to eat”, only at Max's will you find a corned beef Reuben, Chinese chicken salad, rib-eye steak, BBQ ribs and Roma pasta all on one table. And for those with a sweet tooth, Max's sinful; award winning desserts will keep you coming back for more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Max's Opera Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
124 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (41)neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (33)great for brunch (25)kid-friendly (19)fit for foodies (14)late-night find (12)special occasion (12)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- I have been going to Max'sJSB94118VIPDined on 6/19/2011I have been going to Max's for over 20 years. The food and service are good, and the portions are quite generous (note that half-portions are available for many of the desserts - I particularly like the classic NY cheesecake, which is much more authentic than most local restaurants, and is not too sweet).Special Features:
- Always a winner!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2011I recently went here twice recently and found it to be an efficiently run restaurant with very good service and tasty, well prepared food. All of this even when they were very busy. The singing and piano was great fun! A really great choice for either before or after the Opera, as it was for me.Special Features:
- A reliable place for a pre-operaOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/17/2011A reliable place for a pre-opera or pre-concert meal. We arrived very early for a quick dinner. My wife's lamb burger was blah and my brisket sandwich mediocre, but the service was efficient and we got to the opera in plenty of time. But this is not a gourmet delicatessen - it's no Katz's or Carnegie.
- Perfect for taking my grandsonOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/8/2011Perfect for taking my grandson to before a concert. Something for everyone on the menu.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable, good casualOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/5/2011Very enjoyable, good casual food for reasonable prices, extremely pleasant service. It may have helped that it wasn't terribly busy when we arrived, but we were very well taken care of.Special Features:
- Max's is always predictablyBillVIPDined on 6/5/2011Max's is always predictably good. There menu isn't meant to stun a newcomer, but food is always well prepared and ample. Never had a bad meal there.Special Features:
- I ordered the corned beefOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/29/2011I ordered the corned beef sandwich. Very tender and rich (yum). I'm glad they serve smaller portions.Special Features:
- A place for meeting friendsMilaDined on 5/27/2011A place for meeting friends - it allows for quiet, private and relaxed conversation as the seats are not that close together. The best sandwich and salad selection in town. Also try Matzo Ball Soup and Crab Cakes. They are awesome. Prices also are very reasonable.Special Features:
- We had a nice family graduationdpcolevalleyVIPDined on 5/26/2011We had a nice family graduation lunch, the server was very nice and accommodating. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:
- It's been years since my lastOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/21/2011It's been years since my last visit, and my recent experience confirmed my negative opinion. Max's is all about quantity over quality. My lunch was composed of over-cooked and reheated B-B-Q pork and soggy sweet potato fries. Never again!
- We ALWAYS come to Max's forwineandfoodloverVIPDined on 5/16/2011We ALWAYS come to Max's for lunch when in SF. It's great for dinner, too. Portions are huge. Prices are reasonable. Food is delicious. Service is excellent. Nuf said.Special Features:
- Max'sFrederickDined on 5/8/2011As always, service was excellent and the food reliably good. A great place for lunch and/or brunch.Special Features:
- One of the reasons I loveGranDined on 5/7/2011One of the reasons I love this restaurant is because I really feel that I am in New York City. (Compliment!) Food was very good, service was excellent, and the two waiters that sang had terrific albiet very different voices. And, our "special request" made during our booking was graciously granted. Bravo.Special Features:
- Our party of four showed upLagatamachaDined on 4/22/2011Our party of four showed up earlier than our reservation time by 45 minutes. The hostess was non plussed and seated us immediately. Our wait person arrived within moments of sitting and was the same friendly accommodating person even after her section became packed with diners. The food that we ordered arrived at the appropriate temps, hot or cold. The Rueben was great, as was the grilled chicken wrap, and the grilled veggie wrap. The fries were excellent, as well. Deli food at its best with attentive service. Max's is always noisy, but he excellent vocals by the piano bar musician soothed the Friday night.Special Features:
- A good choice for a preludeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/19/2011A good choice for a prelude to the ballet or opera. The food is just average and needs a lot more flavor but the portions are large. A small salad is enought for 2 people. Just ok in my book but I think most people would enjoy the variety of foods they offer and be satisfied.
- Good solid food, and no frills.BruceDined on 4/3/2011Good solid food, and no frills. tuna salad was delicious. fun place, could be noisy, but we were there when it wasn't busy. fun.Special Features:
- We arrived 10 minutes earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 3/26/2011We arrived 10 minutes early and were shown to a table in the lower area which was just fine for us. The server was very pleasant and accomodating. There was one mishap.I ordered the chicken breast with steamed veggies and very little feta cheese. The dinner was served and there was way too much melted cheese on the plate. Next time I will ask for cheese on the side. I am sure the server would have taken the plate back but we were going to the symphony and we were concerned about the time. We are even coming back this coming Saturday as we have a concert to attend.
- Going to the ballet givesOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/22/2011Going to the ballet gives few dining options but Max's works. It is not the best restaurnat but they do try to please and the environment they provide is nice. The food is ok but good enough. There are few healthy vegitarian option, with the exception of the salads.
- I still feel lethargic fromOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/18/2011I still feel lethargic from the smallish portion of the meal I was served--long on fat and salt, low on taste. I will never return.
- My only regret is that myOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/14/2011My only regret is that my brisket was dry. We ate dinner after 8 PM, so I guess the brisket was cooked all day.Special Features:
- Max's is not a place to haveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/4/2011Max's is not a place to have dinner. It is where you eat. The location close by the Opera House and Symphony makes for a convenient stop with out any expectations. Food plentiful, but for the most part not very good
- Food and atmosphere just whatceejayDined on 2/25/2011Food and atmosphere just what we expected for our group of 7. 9Pm Friday night, average crowd. TERRIBLE WAITER. very long waits for food and even for dessert. he was unable to pour wine correctly, even. very inept. If new someone should have been helping him. Inexcusable by crowd (lite). Won't bring guests again tho I am a fairly frequent solo guest.
- Food good, not great, buthiedVIPDined on 2/25/2011Food good, not great, but hearty and portions enormous! Very long menu that takes some time to go through, but there is plenty of variety, including meat and fish dishes, sandwiches, salads, etc.. Location is convenient for concert, ballet and opera patrons, and easy to get to on public transportation (38 bus). We enjoyed the experience.Special Features:
- Our waiter was really rudeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2011Our waiter was really rude and inattentive. It was an early evening, the restaurant had only a few tables, but the waiters were NOT in gear to serve anyone. It took us a while and wave repeatedly before anyone would take our order; then he disappeared and totally forgot to bring us our food. We watched our plates got cold sitting on the counter for nearly 10-minutes, then we complained to the manager/host who (without any apologies) called out our waiter to bring us our plates. By then our hot sandwiches had become lure warm and soggy. He didn't check back again for at least another 15 minutes -- a big NO NO according to the Max's Law 16. With lots reluctance, the waiter gave us a slimmest slice of cake (per Law 16).
- Max's is the old standby forOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/13/2011Max's is the old standby for symphony or ballet performances. Services can be a bit spotty, this trip in particular. Waiter seemed to have forgotten us for dessert and coffee. Had to forgo both in order to make the performance.
- Our table was waiting forLILQLTRDined on 2/13/2011Our table was waiting for us when we arrived. No waiting despite the long line of customers who didn't make a reservation on Open Table! Our server, Michael, was great.Special Features:
- The service was good, theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2011The service was good, the only thing I have to say is that we ordered the special dishes that were on the menu for Valentines Day, which were excellent by the way....but our waiter forgot to give us our choice of salad or soup that was supposed to have come with our meal. We would have reminded him about it, but we did not even realize that he forgot about it until after we had left the restaurant. We love Max's though, and we will definitely be back again.Special Features:
- As a single older diner, ISharmilaDined on 2/12/2011As a single older diner, I felt very comfortable and had an excellent dining experience. Great spot for dinner before the symphony (or other local events nearby.) Barbara HoffmanSpecial Features:
- when i worked in the cityhelloVIPDined on 2/11/2011when i worked in the city we used to love to come to Max's. however, their menu has changed. Food is not as good anymore. the side are soggy and old, fries are soggy (used to be soooo crispy and thin and delicious), bread was soggy. i was also told that they would not make me a 1/2 sandwich at dinner time. really wasted food never seems like a good idea but ok. The singing was fun and our waiter was great. Seems like there has been management changes. too bad.
- good before the performingDanaVIPDined on 2/4/2011good before the performing arts...I like that you can make a reservation now
- Good selection of food andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/2/2011Good selection of food and great food! However, tends to get quite loud and hard to talk with the bustle of activity. A little pricey compared to other places, but still a great. Despite a specific OpenTable request to be seated in a semi-private spot, the woman seated us right near the entrance of the restaurant, where it was the noisiest with people coming in and out and drafts of cold air created a less than pleasant dining experience. The waiters were very busy and seemed so rushed and in a hurry to take your order and spoke very fast, too. too bad there was no singing by any of the waiters that night. That was always a highlight.Special Features:
- We were told even before weHungrymamaVIPDined on 1/30/2011We were told even before we sat down that service would be slow since our waiter had four tables all seated at the same time. Whose fault was that? We had no mustard on the table when our sandwiches arrived. Weren't we supposed to get some bonus because of that omission? We had a very long wait for dessert. We finally told a server that if we didn't get it immediately, we would skip it. Naturally, it then arrived promptly. We have had worst service. I have forgotten where.Special Features:
- Max's has long been one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/28/2011Max's has long been one of my favorite deli's, but the food seems to have deteriorated lately. The meat portion of my meal tasted as if it had been carved for sandwiches in the morning and reheated and plopped on a plate. Vegetables were steamed and unseasoned. Potatoes tasted stale. Unfortunately, Max's is one of the few casual options for before or after symphony or ballet. Next time I'll stick to the salads.
- We were seated too close toRonWDined on 1/26/2011We were seated too close to the pianist and could not hear ourselves over the music. Next time, if there is one, we will request a table far away from the pianist and the vocalist. Food portions continue to be too large. Need to offer more small bite meals. Love the pizza that used to be on the appetizer menu, but it is not offered anymore. Bring it back.
- Good food and ambiance, butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/12/2011Good food and ambiance, but the waiter had to be asked for water and tried to take away our plates even though we were still eating.Special Features:
- Max's serves a very usefulOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/8/2011Max's serves a very useful purpose: good food, good prices, nothing special, nothing fancy, but a great place to go. we love Max's and go frequently.
- I always like Max's in theMuttiBDined on 1/7/2011I always like Max's in the City, if only for the nice musical background which is so much better than the terrible noise you have to endure during dinner in other places. The portions are very generous, the wine a bit on the expensive side, but overall everything is very pleasant and comfortable.Special Features:
- The food is always good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/31/2010The food is always good, but New Year's Eve was excellent. I had the Scampi with Skirt Steak. My husband had the Pan Seared Salmon. I wish they were open on Christmas Day, I would have preferred that over the horrible Waterfront that we ended up at. What a difference! There was some nice live music. Sometimes the wait staff even get up and sing. What a treat!Special Features:
- They held our reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/30/2010They held our reservation even tho we were very late (traffic) and were gracious about it.Special Features:
- Food was good thouhgh notOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/2/2010Food was good thouhgh not outstanding. Atmosphere was fun and exciting. Service was good. Unique in that the waitstaff performs (sings). Great location if going to the Performing Arts locations.Special Features: