The Restaurant at Meadowood
900 Meadowood Lane
Saint Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
The Restaurant at Meadowood
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.therestaurantatmeadowood.com/
- Phone: 7079671205x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30PM - 9:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Christopher Kostow
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Restaurant at Meadowood
The Restaurant at Meadowood offers an elegant, but relaxed dining experience featuring a modern approach to Napa Valley cuisine by Chef Christopher Kostow. "Approachable, dynamic, evocative and playful." The interior of The Restaurant showcases Meadowood’s natural, tranquil setting with rows of windows bringing the beautiful surroundings into full view. The Restaurant features a two hundred and twenty-five dollar prix fixe Chef’s Tasting Menu and a five hundred dollar Chef's Counter Menu. A tailored wine and spirits pairing experience is also available to accompany the menus. Given the nature of the set menus for each evening, we invite and encourage you to contact us once booked online to make us aware of any allergies or dietary restrictions several days in advance of your reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
The Restaurant at Meadowood - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
The Restaurant at Meadowood reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (86)romantic (63)fit for foodies (62)notable wine list (52)scenic view (13)neighborhood gem (6)hot spot (5)good for groups (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Quite disappointedporaDined on 6/14/20141. Way too many vegetable and the chef must like turnips a lot. I had red turnip, white turnip, carrot, turnip sauce, ... on that day. 2. There is no WOW. i.e. there is no single dish that I want to enjoy again and there is nothing I cannot find in other places. Compare to places like Manresa or Tetsuya's, they have special stuff that I want to go back again and again. 3. The other reviews mentioned that the food is not enough and they had to go to somewhere else afterwards to fill themselves up. This is no longer the case. I successfully used the bread to fill myself up. However, without bread I might feel hungry afterward. 4. If you still plan to go there (why not just have a try, like me), avoid to do this for special occasion.
- Amazing.GraceDined on 6/12/2014Impeccable service, wonderful food. Topped off with a trip to the kitchen- I couldn't have asked for a better dining experience :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "The" restaurant in the Bay AreaBTSRDined on 6/12/2014We dined here for my wife's birthday - everything was perfect: professional staff, a personalized welcome card, a small birthday surprise. and much more. The food was excellent. Each dish took full advantage of seasonal ingredients - we fully enjoyed the aroma of vegetables. The presentation was beautiful. The tour to the kitchen was amusing. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatVIPDined on 6/11/2014My husband took me here to celebrate my birthday. All the staff were so warm and all wished me a happy birthday! Service was timed perfectly. I've never felt so catered to.... Superb experience. After dinner, we were invited for a kitchen tour -- awesome friendly kitchen staff!! We will return at a future date!!Special Features:
- Understated EleganceBennettLafayetteDined on 6/4/2014While this establishment is currently rated eightieth in the World, it should rise! Imaginative culinary fare; and I was surprised that the young, and I mean young, sommelier was as knowledgeable as he was---quite refreshing, delightful matching course by course. Bravissimo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 3rd and last visit to MeadowoodEvanVIPDined on 6/2/2014My first two visits to Meadowood were great. This one was not. The dishes are visually appealing and artfully plated, but portions have become so tiny as to be offensive--the lamb dish consisted of two bites of lamb the size of sugar cubes. Why bother? With the wine pairings, there is not enough food to soak up the wine, so the meal is entirely out of balance. And the wines are uninspired; wine pairings here should introduce you to a few fascinating gems that you'd want to seek out cases of. These wines, while reasonably matched with what little food we had, were pedestrian and of modest cost. You can find far more interesting wines by the glass at many Napa restaurants. The service was great, but $1200 down the drain. Never going back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/31/2014It's worth a lot of money. But it's not worth even close to 1/2 of what they charge.Special Features:
- Two bite mealMeadowoodfanVIPDined on 5/27/2014Let me start by saying my wife and I are frequent guests of Meadowood and it is one of the most incredible places on earth. Food, service, attention to detail are second to none and it brings us back every single year, and in many cases, multiple times per year. My wife decided to try The Restaurant and simply put we were very disappointed. Keep in mind this is a TASTING menu and by the time you spend $1,000 on food and wine I would expect my first instinct when I get back to the room is not to order a large peperoni pizza. We both were starving. Again, no arguing the taste and service but two bites of meaningful food in 2 hours is a joke. As far as the wine list bring your first born's communion money.Special Features:
- On the top and over!BruceDined on 5/26/2014This was one of the best dining experience I had in my entire life (and I dine at fine restaurants frequently).Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014This dining experience was so pleasant and delightful. Great light and well constructed meal with such amazing staff that were extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The decor was simple but extremely elegant, and the resort is awe inspiring. Very well kept grounds, relaxing and beautiful mix of architecture and nature.
- Wonderful experience, superb foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/22/2014Before my girlfriend and I even sat down for dinner, it was patent that Meadowood sets a high bar for service. As I waited for my girlfriend in the lounge, everyone made me incredibly welcome, and I learned about Meadowood's farms and community programs. Copies of The Lucky Peach are kept on hand - delightful with strawberry-infused juniper gin and vegetable chips. Once we were led into the kitchen for dinner, the precise, disciplined yet externally effortless service continued throughout the long dinner. The food itself is, of course, incredible. From yogurt, plum & shiso to beeswax poached potato, the food consistently approached superb flavor. The kitchen tour and personalized menu were welcome additions.Special Features:
- A true 3 starNazSGDined on 5/21/2014Every component of the dishes were outstandingly prepared and handled. Cooked to perfection. Giving French Laundry a very good competition. Certainly impressed with the ambience and drinks menu was beautifully handwritten.Special Features:
- World ClassGourmet1Dined on 5/21/2014I am a restaurant critic from Europe, I am one of the 900 guys who vote for the Worlds 50best Restaurants (google website). This Restaurant definetely belongs to the 50 Best!Special Features:
- The following 643 reviews are from the The Restaurant at Meadowood reviews archive.
- Does not fail to delightAK19VIPDined on 5/17/2014Second time around. Absolutely outstanding in every respect. Will be back as soon as I can afford it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, Not StuffyFoodiePhDVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food was excellent! Vegetables from their own garden were creatively served and very sumptuous. The servers were friendly -- not uptight and stuffed-up (unlike the French Laundry). They invited us to visit the kitchen after our meal. It was spotless! My husband and I will definitely come back to try the 20-course menu in the kitchen counter.Special Features:
- The emperor has no clothesDesiDined on 5/15/2014This was a classic case of the customers expectations being incongruent with the actual outcome. I expected exotic ingredients prepared in extraordinary ways, instead we got chicken broth! I felt insulted and cheated.
- Memories are made hereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/14/2014The Restaurant at Meadowood is one of those experiences that remains in your mind and you wonder when you will experience it again. We celebrated our deaf sister's 70th and we all agreed at the table that the food was beyond our expectations but more than the food, the service truly set the tone. This was refined dining at its finest. Our sister has some food allergies and with each course they announced how they altered her serving so she could enjoy the same food. All our Napa Valley dining experiences were good but throughout the trip Meadowwood was mentioned as the memory lingered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- divineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014this is beautiful restaurant with a chef who is some sort of crazy genius. it is a food experience up there with the likes of wylie dufresne. no detail is overlooked. there is intention and love put into every inch of the place. waitstaff is awesome. best restaurant in napa/sonoma.Special Features:
- Worst meal since Trotter's...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/5/2014The last time I was this confounded by a meal was at Trotter's. Food barely resembled anything edible...just roots, shoots, & dollops of cheese. Wait staff seemed equally amused. Presentation of "main event", poussin, was simply ridiculous-kitchen staff revealed uncooked chicken in bread bowl wrapped in towel in wine box. Really? Wine list inflated to the point of being insulting - more than double the price of a typical restaurant list for the same bottle! $850 later we satisfied our hunger at Taylor's . Skip the humiliation & go to Auberge if Michelin ratings are your thing. A huge disappointment!Special Features:
- Amazing!!SsakagiDined on 5/5/2014The food is remarkable ..... Amazing Best ever!! Can not express in people language ......just wanna say go there and try!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad valueEat2muchDined on 4/26/2014The food was of excellent standard as was the service, ambience and decore. My only problem was the value for money. I have dined at approximately 10 3 michelin starred restaurants over the past few years and have walked away extremely satisfied but this time I felt a touch ripped off and considering most of the produce and wine is sourced locally it should be about half the price dinner cost us$1100. Also my partner and I were still hungry when we left. Once again I would like to reiterate that food and service were exceptional just a tad light on.Special Features:
- good but too much saltPenendenVIPDined on 4/18/2014My wife and I enjoyed the restaurant. Service was excellent and the menu interesting. My only issue was too many dishes had a heavy salt coating meaning my last bite was the crunch of salt obscuring rather than complimenting the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deserves a sixth stareagleVIPDined on 4/14/2014We dine at many 4 & 5 star forbes restaurants.Some are bogus,this one is all IN. 10 courses,all appropriate sised and coordinated,great wines,perhaps the best experience and mouth watering food ever,Oh did i mention in europe we dine in michelin 3 star restaurants!move over french laundry,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exceptionalfoodieinpvDined on 4/14/2014Everything from start to finish was divine. The wine list was extensive and the restaurant was worthy of 3 michilin stars in fact I liked it better than Frech Laundry. Even though a lot of food was served I didn't feel full afterward.Special Features:
- Good but not GreatBrittanyVIPDined on 4/12/2014If you choose to dine at the Restaurant at Meadowood, know that you are going for the experience of a Michellin 3 star restaurant and not for the food. My husband and I went to celebrate our anniversary. We did the 12 course tasting menu with the wine pairing. The service experience was impeccable. When you arrive at your table there is a hand written note (bonus points for using sealing wax), everyone greets you by name, knows whatever occasion you are there to celebrate, and is there to meet your every need. The wine pairings were well selected and wines we would not have chosen for ourselves but very much enjoyed. With a tasting menu you are getting small bites at each course. For the price they should be amazing bites but they weren't.Special Features:
- 40th wedding anniversaryLanalouVIPDined on 4/9/2014The entire evening was magnificent in every way. Very warm and friendly staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expecationsSteveBDined on 4/5/2014Our dinner was a memorable experience. Each course was a work of art that stimulated all your senses. Each bite had an incredible mix of textures and flavors. The staff was most attentive, friendly and approachable, and their attention to detail was amazing. We appreciated how they tailored the courses to the constraints of each member of our group. Nathaniel gave us a special treat after dinner by pouring 100-year old Madeira for our party of four. The final tour of the kitchen showed allowed us to meet Christopher Kostow and his staff, and we were truly impressed by how orderly they operate, and how much fun they seem to be having.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDonnaDined on 4/2/2014Everything about this meal was amazing. The food, presentation, personal service, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dining ExperienceRobERDined on 3/31/2014Visiting from Europe, I wanted to find out what 3 Michelin stars in the US mean, compared with 3 Michelin stars in Germany and France. I was absolutely fascinated from the quality of the courses and the wines I was offered and from the perfect service I was given! Those 3 stars are of the same highest quality than what you usually get from 3 star restaurants in Europe! The ingredients, the composition, the balance of each single course, starting with the first Amuse until the very end, was just amazingly phantastic! Whenever I have the Chance of being back in Northern California, I am sure to visit The Restaurant at Meadowood again! A truely perfect dining experience! Phantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 star experience.AJ1234Dined on 3/29/2014Had a great meal! The restaurant called a week before the dinner and asked about allergies and food likes and dislikes. On the actual day my wife and I got some dishes the same and a few different which was fun. Each dish was small, and the entire meal took nearly 4 hours. There were 9 courses, plus an amuse bouche and final chocolate, all delicious. My wife and I studied the wine list beforehand and decided to get a Burgundy and Grüner Veltliner instead of the wine paring. We were able to choose wines less than the cost of the pairing, and we think our choices were as good as or better than the paring for all but the one beef course. We are already talking about going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME experience at The CounterSiliconValleyFoodieDined on 3/29/2014We had the pleasure of dining recently at the counter inside of the kitchen. The food and experience of watching and interacting with the kitchen staff and chef Chris Kristow are so special. Chef is so creative and so approachable...and a darn nice guy! We look forward to our next visit. We are foodies for sure and I think was our best ever experience and we've done French Laundry, Guy Savoy and others!Special Features:
- Excellent all the way aroundXyconner9VIPDined on 3/28/2014Great food! Great service! Made us feel like kings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceGlobugDined on 3/28/2014We went there with a slight understanding of how great the restaurant was to be. But, we were blown away by the experience. Staff was so extremely friendly and informative. The food was beyond amazing. Although, pricey especially with the wine pairing. However, given the level of service and what an amazing experience this was, it was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary masterpiecegirlstripnapaDined on 3/28/2014Our palettes were in for a very special treat…quite impressive tasting menu. Compliments to the chef's and staff!! Our group couldn’t have asked for a better evening. Thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in California!dyuen34VIPDined on 3/25/2014This was truly a magnificent meal! I would equate this meal to our experience at Alinea in Chicago, another 3 Michelin Star recipient. We also thought the meal and journey of flavors was noticeably better than The French Laundry. First of all the place was beautiful in its own private estate off the Highway. The decor was nice but not too stuffy. The service was immaculate. All of our dishes were beautifully prepared. We especially liked the Black Cod, Kohlrabi , Spiny Lobster, Poussin, and Abalone. They were all so flavorful. The most memorable dish was the Olive Oil Coconut Borage. The olive oil brought the dessert to life. The flavor was indescribable. I hope to go back to this place soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mind-BlowingTuesdayVIPDined on 3/21/2014What Chef Chris Kostow is doing here is truly amazing. His creativity is genuine, each plate takes you on a different journey, and every element on the plate has a purpose. You can tell that he's not just following a trend or making a foam to have a foam on the plate. Rather he's delivering an experience that's all his own. This should be on everyone's list of "Places to eat before I die".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/21/2014Service was impeccable. Presentation and creativity of dishes was phenomenal. Everything tasted great. And being able to go back to the kitchen and talking to the chefs was a great touch. Making the obvious comparison to The French Laundry, the environment and ambiance was more laid back and comfortable. The service was unbelievable and may be marginally better. Although The French Laundry had more memorable dishes regarding taste/flavor, it also had 1 or 2 slight misses. There wasn't a single dish at the Restaurant that wasn't amazing, but none of their dishes compared to the best dishes at French Laundry. My wife and I were split on which we liked better, but both definitely lived up to their Michelin stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/19/2014Outstanding food and service in a beautiful setting.....all of which you pay for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible, thought-provoking mealOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/14/2014I've eaten at a number of incredible, well-reviewed restaurants, but nothing approached my experience at the Meadowood. I'm still digesting the extent of the event. The service was impeccable from the moment I stepped out of my car door to the moment I stepped back in. The food was an amazing both visually and on the palate. Most importantly, it made me stop and consider a whole new avenue of what is possible with food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something to experiencehandymomDined on 3/13/2014This is a gourmet foodie's delight. It was over the top for my husband and our friend, but I really enjoyed the experience. Every bite was an adventure and I enjoyed every one. The synchronized service and presentation was well done. The 12 courses offered amazing flavors and textures. At the end, it was interesting to be invited to see the kitchen, where it all gets made. The only negative was that the manager was clearly angry at one of the servers and it was uncomfortable to witness him chastised in front of us while in the kitchen.Special Features: