Slightly North of Broad
192 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $31 to $50
Slightly North of Broad
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.slightlynorthofbroad.net/
- Phone: 8437233424x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly, Monday-Friday from 5:30pm, Saturday & Sunday from 5:00pm
Lunch: Monday- Friday 11:30am – 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Frank Lee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant could be rented for a private function.
- Private Party Contact: Peter Pierce 8437233424x
- Cross Street: Faber Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are two parking garages located within ½ block of the restaurant. One is located at the corner of Concord and Cumberland and the second is located on Cumberland between East Bay and State. Street parking is also available.
A word from Slightly North of Broad
Slightly North of Broad is a Lowcountry bistro that brings together an abundance of local ingredients and thoughtful, expert presentation with a friendly, contagious energy. Here the dining room is a natural extension of the kitchen, a place where culinary skill, a clever, considered wine program, warm service, and conversations meld together. Our local farmers, fishermen and producers are as integral to the food we make as they are to our place in this community.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLow Country
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Slightly North of Broad - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Slightly North of Broad reviews from OpenTable diners
492 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (328)special occasion (287)romantic (172)neighborhood gem (169)great for lunch (145)notable wine list (125)hot spot (119)good for groups (87)great for brunch (35)kid-friendly (28)vibrant bar scene (27)late-night find (18)scenic view (8)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Duck vs. HalibutupstatefoodieDined on 7/16/2014Halibut was the Special for the evening and the presentation sounded very inviting. However we knew that we all wanted Duck is it is always exceptional. The best around except maybe in Toulouse, FR. Joseph gave an outstanding performance in service. Always a memorable evening at SNOB..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodbergerqueenDined on 7/16/2014SNOB has become my go-to restaurant to take out of town guests to. It's lovely, always good, and a happy experience for all.Special Features:
- Great serviceSrob3Dined on 7/16/2014We went here for an anniversary dinner. Despite being with our 2 year old, we were given a romantic booth and friendly attentive service. We both enjoyed the Grilled Peach salad with candied walnuts and tart dressing. My wife's Grouper was delicious as was my steak. Our server was so pleasant and didn't bat at eye regarding our son's peanut allergy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Juan C.juan61Dined on 7/15/2014I thought the food and the service was great! We had a very good experience, but I wouldn't say is romantic since there are no private areas. We were lucky with our waitress because she was from the same city that we were visiting from. Probably, the only disappointment are the high taxes applied by South Carolina to dinner and beverages; but the restaurant is not responsible for this situation.Special Features:
- Meets our expectations every timeLocalDinersVIPDined on 7/14/2014Consistently great food and service. We live in Charleston and if we don't plan a week ahead of time, it is difficult to get a reservation. That's how popular the restaurant is with locals and visitors. Great for lunch and dinner. If you are visiting and want to dine at SNOB, I recommend you make a reservation. My husband had the grilled pork chop and I had grilled salmon both perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LgegDined on 7/13/2014Wine list is outstanding. Quail appetizer was delicious as were the pork and steak entrees. The sides were unique and an added plus. We will definitely visit again when in the Charleston area.Special Features:
- WonderfulLove2eatDined on 7/13/2014Slightly North of Broad is a reliable go to, special occasion restaurant. The wait staff is not pretentious and the food is exquisite and consistently fresh, innovative and delicious. I don't know why I am "required" to use 50 words to complete this review because I am thinking I have already said it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free FriendlyGlutenFreeDivaDined on 7/13/2014This was a wonderful spot, has a great gluten free menu, will defineatly go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!Luv2eatgr8foodDined on 7/12/2014Have eaten here lots of times and SNOB never fails to be great! The squash goat cheese custard is outstanding as is the peach salad (delicious perfectly grilled peach). Always busy (especially on a Saturday night) but we were seated promptly and approached by a server almost immediately. Our server, while efficient, lacked any personality and spoke only when necessary. This was fine for us as we live in Charleston but might be a letdown for out-of-towners looking for some conversation. The lack of server interaction was a bit unusual for SNOB who has an excellent fine dining waitstaff. Still, the food was excellent as always! This is my favorite restaurant in Charleston.Special Features:
- Great place for a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Had dinner with a group of girl friends this weekend and I absolutely loved it. The service was excellent, the food was amazing, and what an ambiance. Highly recommend it!!Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerLovetoeatDined on 7/11/2014Always great food and service once seated, getting a drink before dinner at the bar took 15 minutes. Bartender was easily distracted between bar patrons and wait staff. Overall S.N.O.B. Is a wonderful experienceSpecial Features:
- Crab Cake HeavenpowwillDined on 7/11/2014My wife is a crab cake connoisseur, so, upon seeing the crab reviews for Slightly North of Broad, I booked a reservation. She ordered the crab cake appetizer and, before it arrived, she said "I'll eat half and you eat half". Long story short, I got the first and last bite..... And I only got the last bite cause I think she felt guilty. She has eaten a LOT of crab cakes at a LOT of restaurants and she said these were one of her favorites of all time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this restaurant!CharlottemomDined on 7/11/2014I had one of the best meals here during my visit to Charleston. Loved this place and plan to return in the future.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!GogobrandDined on 7/10/2014Food and service was outstanding. Shrimp and grits were very good with a strong flavor. The duck was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- slightly disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014having dined here before, i expected better - the service was delayed - seating us 20 minutes after reservation and taking awhile to get to our table. when i specified an item not be included on dish, the item came on the dish, the server noted it was there and proceeded to walk away from table. should have acknowledged mistake and replaced but didn't - not sure we will go back - too many other great restaurants in area to waste time on mediocre service....
- Wonderful fresh mealCarolBVIPDined on 7/10/2014SNOB was our favorite meal on our recent visit to Kiawah/Charleston area. They used local products and the favors were so fresh that they just seemed to burst in your mouth. In particular they had access to peaches and blackberries the night we were there and they used them to the fullest potential. I had a "Farmer's cocktail" with blackberries and gin that was so crisp and tasty and a grilled peach salad which was to die for good. For the main course I had Wahoo and my husband had the pork chop both of which were cooked to perfection. We ended with homemade peach cobbler which was as good as my mom's version. All the staff were friendly and efficient including the hostess and our server, Caroline. We had a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- SNOBs Always DeliversDavidADined on 7/10/2014Great food, great service... always consistent with those two ingredients.Special Features:
- Great experienceBarryDined on 7/9/2014We were impressed the moment we walked in the door. We arrived at exactly our reservation time and were seated immediately. Our waitress brought us complimentary champagne due celebrating our anniversary. We had Grilled Peach Salads, Shrimp and Grits, BBQ Tuna, and Banana Cream Pie. All the food and service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tumbleweedVIPDined on 7/9/2014Thxs, always reliably good! I will be back again, especially for lunchSpecial Features:
- Outstanding may not be high enough!BuzzinMontgomeryDined on 7/8/2014The experience of dining at Slightly North of Broad (S.N.O.B, great short name, by the way), was a highlight of our trip to Charleston. The elegant atmosphere greets a diner as they enter and sets a high expectation for the event to follow and it does not disappoint. The attentive wait staff were efficient, knowledgeable and friendly. Our drinks were delivered and a selection of entrees were completed with our server highlighting the best of various dishes and their influence from local vendors and farms. I had the scallops served in a delectable broth while my wife enjoyed the chicken roulade special of the evening. Both were culinary gems that showed a deft use of local ingredients to highlight flavors to perfection. Fantastic meal!Special Features:
- I would recommend.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2014Great atmosphere and wonderful service. The food was good based on the price,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food! Great service!dddinerDined on 7/8/2014SNOB is great! This is the second time I've visited here and I just love walking into the place! My husband and I have a favorite restaurant in our hometown of Aiken and I said "if I lived here, this would be my Willcox"! We shared an appetizer (cheese platter), a medium plate (carpaccio), and an entree (shrimp and grits) ... and all were awesome! Just delicious! But ... I must say that our service was just the best I've probably ever had! Here was a server (Allison) who knew all of the details about the specials and could answer any question we could pose. I don't know if all the servers are that knowledgeable but it sure made for a great dining experience! I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnermathguyDined on 7/8/2014nice quiet table, great service, we were given complimentary dessert for our anniversarySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch!geezerDined on 7/8/2014I love lunch at this restaurant. Fried chicken livers, grits, everything great. Only downside is the many large family groups with exuberant young childrenSpecial Features:
- Great food when it finally arrivedJayCDined on 7/4/201445 min wait between appetizer and main course was too long to earn top ratingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner with the kids!ChevyDined on 7/4/2014We had a wonderful dinner with our two children. They're not picky eaters and thoroughly enjoyed the shrimp and grits and the grouper. All of the food was wonderful and the ambience is great! Make reservations though...we were happy we did as people were getting turned away at the door! Get the Kurios Cucumber drink...it's phenomenal! Great location!Special Features:
- SavbrigjOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Delicious trout , crispy duck! Nothing special about the BBQ! Decor and service fabulous ! Make reservations always crowded !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gal from new mexicoKateyDined on 7/3/2014My family is from Charleston so I grew up coming here a lot. A guest was with me for the first time to Charleston and SNOB offered her not only a wonderful meal but one representative the best that one can only find in Charleston. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014Steven, our server, was wonderful! The food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but salty!TravelerDined on 7/2/2014Wonderful service and a charming atmosphere were hallmarks of our visit to this restaurant! We were traveling and wished to taste some of the local specialties. We ordered a chilled gazpacho as a starter. It was flavorful but far over-salted. When told that there was another batch in the back, we agreed to try it again, to no avail. There was no difference in flavor. The staff sweetly offered a different starter- stacked heirloom tomatoes with mozarella, which was delicious! The shrimp and grits entree was also heavily salted, in my opinion, but this may have been due to the andouille sausage which was a special addition of the house. Our server was fun and very courteous as was the maitre'd.Special Features:
- Well earned namewineanddineDined on 7/2/2014If it weren't for the fabulous, lead-by-example, hard-working manager, Peter Pierce, we might have left. Our waiter was DEFINITELY A SNOB! He acted as if he were "too good" to be waiting on us. He was the only poor experience in the place, but his attitude and lack of attention to our table was a huge turn-off!!! The food, drinks, and atmosphere were otherwise terrific.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/1/2014This was my second visit to SNOB and the food was just as delicious as my first time. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- S.N.O.B.LuvtolunchDined on 7/1/2014Not too many really nice places are open for lunch weekdays in Charleston so we really like to come here where we can have a leisurely lunch be attentively served, but never rushed and enjoy well prepared food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luncheon Delight on Hot DaySCvisitorsDined on 7/1/2014Long recommended to us, we set a luncheon date and were extremely pleased. Excellent service from door to table. Tasty, but healthy menu items. Shrimp and grits with ham and sausage, a luncheon delight. Blueberry Sangria hit the spot on a hot, 90 deg., day. Ambience features food not frills. Our reservation was for 11:45 am which beat the big lunch crowd - highly recommend this for a more relaxing lunch. Place was full when we left - lots of business folks as well as vacationers. Wife had Chicken Medley and she loved the flavor of the chicken breast with pesto. Ample portions, don't need appetizers. Had a small side salad with my shrimp and grits which made a hearty lunch. Cornbread served was like homemade - delicious.Special Features:
- Good foodDubbedDined on 6/30/2014We had a lovely meal here in really nice surroundings. The staff were professionally friendly. Try the shared smoked salmon it was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/30/2014Server was great. Food was yummy. BBQ tuna a must!! Snob martini fantastic!Special Features:
- A Fave!JJMimiDined on 6/28/2014As always - wonderful food, service & ambience! Love this place! Always a must when we are in Charleston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistentFoodiegirlDined on 6/27/2014I have eaten at this restaurant several times and have found the food to be inconsistent. I recently ordered the NY strip special and half of it had so much gristle it could not be chewed. My dining companion ordered the same thing and hers was worse. I do not think I will return as they cannot maintain consistency.
- Slightly Close to Perfection.RichVIPDined on 6/27/2014Slightly North of Broad is a wonderful restaurant and we enjoyed our dinner greatly. My wife and I dined there Friday night she had the halibut special and I had the duck entree. Both were fantastic we each had the smoked salmon starter and that was good as well. I will return to SNOB anytime I'm in Charleston.Special Features:
- Disappointing . . .OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014Food was excellent, which makes giving this restaurant low marks overall somewhat difficult. In my opinion, at this price point, the food is not the only thing that needs to be outstanding. We'd heard about SNOB for years and had a difficult time getting a reservation. Finally we were successful, but then let down by a less than stellar experience. Most disappointing to me was the attitude of our waitress. She seemed very frustrated with not being able to turn our table quickly enough and made it evident in actions and facial expressions. The noise level was high, but what also surprised me was how loudly the restaurant played Top 40 music in an already acoustically challenged atmosphere. We spent $350 on dinner for 4.