Slightly North of Broad
192 East Bay Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
Low CountryPrice: $31 to $50
Slightly North of Broad
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.slightlynorthofbroad.net/
- Phone: 8437233424x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly, Monday-Friday from 5:30pm, Saturday & Sunday from 5:00pm
Lunch: Monday- Friday 11:30am – 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Low Country, Southern
- Executive Chef: Frank Lee
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant could be rented for a private function.
- Private Party Contact: Peter Pierce 8437233424x
- Cross Street: Faber Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are two parking garages located within ½ block of the restaurant. One is located at the corner of Concord and Cumberland and the second is located on Cumberland between East Bay and State. Street parking is also available.
A word from Slightly North of Broad
Slightly North of Broad is a Lowcountry bistro that brings together an abundance of local ingredients and thoughtful, expert presentation with a friendly, contagious energy. Here the dining room is a natural extension of the kitchen, a place where culinary skill, a clever, considered wine program, warm service, and conversations meld together. Our local farmers, fishermen and producers are as integral to the food we make as they are to our place in this community.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Slightly North of Broad - Best Restaurants in Downtown Charleston ›
Slightly North of Broad reviews from OpenTable diners
461 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (319)special occasion (262)neighborhood gem (172)romantic (164)hot spot (129)notable wine list (127)great for lunch (125)good for groups (94)vibrant bar scene (28)great for brunch (24)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (18)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Great food, great serviceGburgfoodieDined on 8/21/2014The quail appetizer was GREAT. We had the pork chop and the halibut entrees and both were excellent. We will be back next time in CharlestoniSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/21/2014Just the right balance of good food, distractions, and class.Special Features:
- DrinksForehowDined on 8/21/2014Before lunch, we both had one of their special S.N.O.B. martinis, made with Maverick gin or vodka. There was way too much vermouth in both. I had pimento stuffed olives in mine, which unfortunately made the drink very salty. Neither of us would order their martinis again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food not good tableJanieDined on 8/19/2014We have eaten at SNOB many times and the food and service is always great! The only complaint I have is that we were seated right in the path of the kitchen, which made it very busy and annoying! Every restaurant reservation that I made through open table we had the worst seating!! I was very disappointed with that and the other couple remarked also about this, after I had thought it to myself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch!bubbaonlineDined on 8/19/2014Everything was delicious, from the salads, appetizers, entrees to dessert. Professional service, as well.Special Features:
- Excellent quality at good valuesockyDined on 8/18/2014Sea scallops, grouper, veggie plate,, shrimp and grits were all superb. Veggie plate stood out as 10 different veggies. Fresh seafood, always good.Special Features:
- S.N.O.B. is THE BESTMlleJaneDined on 8/18/2014I enjoy the "Chef's Table" to be near the action in the kitchen -and- as an added bonus, noticed it seemed quieter in this section. I live locally - luv to explore Charleston's food scene - however, I just keep coming back again and again to SNOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEYOND!!!!thefoodgrubDined on 8/17/2014I made a res for this restaurant 2 months in advance to celebrate my birthday and wedding anniversary. Upon our arrival, there was a line and the place was packed. However, we were greeted warmly with best wishes on our special day and were shown to a perfect, intimate table. Ashley, our waitress, quickly brought us 2 glasses of champagne and also gave us her best wishes. She was lively, informative, proactive and treated us marvelously. Our food was BEYOND scrumptious. The cocktails were great, the carpaccio is yummy, the salads are fresh and tasty, the fish is fresh and the desserts are sinful. We pretty much needed Ashley to roll us out of there, because we left stuffed! We will DEFINITELY return to SNOB on our next visit to SC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We have dined at SNOB for many years, at least 7 times. We have had excellent meals and service. This past weekend was a disappointment. Arriving , we were greeted with a less then enthusiastic hostess. the choices of entrees were not well presented, Hanger Steak, Grouper. The Hanger was tough and the one piece of Broccoli was limp and cold. The Grouper according to my wife was good. This event was our 45 wedding anniversary , which we celebrate in Charleston every year and at SNOB. Next year will be our 46th , but I don't think it will be at SNOB. Sometimes we loss site of the simple things , when we have worked so hard to get there. Don't let that happen to SNOB.
- Doesn't disappointCharlestowneDawgDined on 8/16/2014Have been coming to SNOB now for 3 years and it is solid every single time. One of the most consistent restaurants in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cowmurph2Dined on 8/16/2014Fantastic dining experience! Great food, lovely ambience, terrific customer service. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- A Charleston mustfoodieloveswineDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I love to eat at SNOB every time we are in Charleston. Food quality and service are always excellent. My favorite menu item is the seared scallops and the chef specials are always great. The flavor combinations of every dish that I've ever tried are fantastic. Also be sure to enjoy a signature cocktail from the bar before your meal. The bartender is wonderful. Make reservations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good againFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Always good food and service. No exception this time. Gazpacho was filled with nice crisp finely diced veggies. My wife had the vegetable plate (not vegetarian) and we were amazed at the assortment of veggies and quantity too. So good. I had the special (New England scallops) which were cooked perfectly so they tender and flavorful. Enough said. We love SNOB.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Servicejt123321Dined on 8/15/2014Server was rude, curt, and knew nothing about the menu. She made several "jokes" that were nothing of the sort. Will not go back.
- Great time, great meal!bunnyteapartyDined on 8/15/2014We came to SNOB for my little sister's 29th birthday. She and I are both pregnant, and my husband is a vegetarian. They were more than happy to accommodate us. We were able to get the cheese plate with only pasteurized cheeses, and my husband got a vegan version of the vegetable plate. We had just a lovely time. The food was excellent and so was the service.Special Features:
- Foodie10Dined on 8/15/2014You can always depend on SNOB to present great food.the red wine was excellent,but a little warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday DinnerCaptBiscuitDined on 8/14/2014Kelly is a great waitress, knowledgeable about the food and beverages. Great call on the Westbrook Thai White beer! I had the tile fish and it was cooked to perfection. (Note that I had Red grouper at P. Grill the next night and it was dry (overcooked). Sweetie had the shrimp and grits which was good (sweetie makes better; who ever dreamed of using sausage in shrimp and grits instead of bacon? Bacon rules!) Should have listened to the reviews and stuck with the sour cream apple pie, but tried the peach cobbler which tasted odd, not sweet, but Kelly took it away and we enjoyed the peach sherbet with blueberries. Looking forward to another visit to S.N.O.B.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday celebrationBeckSDined on 8/13/2014I took my boyfriend here for his 30th birthday. We had reservations after 8:00 and when we got there the dining room was packed! Our table wasn't quite ready when we arrived, but we were happy to grab a drink at the bar while we waited. Our table was ready within minutes. Our waiter, Max, was great. He wasn't intrusive at all but was still efficient and checked in from time to time. We ordered the cheese plate and a pasta appetizer that was on special that evening. Both were great! Our entrees were great as well...one tilefish special and one duck breast. We cleaned our plates! To end the evening, my boyfriend was given a complimentary dessert (warm sour cream apple pie). Everything was great and it was the perfect evening!Special Features:
- JackDined on 8/13/2014We dined at SNOB several times during our visits to Charleston. The meal on this recent visit was truly outstanding with the service as good. The smoked salmon, scallops and rack of lamb with accompnning wines were perfect inevery respect.Special Features:
- Pretty nice place!FansyfanDined on 8/10/2014We went for my dad's birthday. It was nice overall, but the cocktail wasn't too good. The girl who served our table was very nice. My son likes salmon, but he doesn't like it to be raw. The girl asked kitchen to grill it for him. We were all happy for that dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LesMoDined on 8/9/2014Loved it! Great food and drinks and just the right amount of ambience.Special Features:
- Return to SchoolMullsVIPDined on 8/7/2014Always order the BBQ tuna with fried oysters and never disappointed. We also ordered the smoked salmon and found that they had changed the preparation. Although we liked the old preparation, the new one was actually better and I would always recommend it. Our daughter always makes certain that we go there for the sour cream apple pie which is our favorite dessert in Charleston. She ordered that and split it with her date and we split the peach cobbler since peaches were in season. Both were excellent!! Only complaint would be that the tables are too close to each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More matureLaurenlovestoeatVIPDined on 8/7/2014We loved the food, the ambiance is a bit mature and romantic which is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!RazzDined on 8/7/2014The food is wonderful from starters to dessert. Open kitchen....love that. Staff is friendly and professional. I never come to Charleston without making this stop. It's a must try for those who have not dined there. They will even share recipes!Special Features:
- Solid and worth it as alwaysnyc2gsofoodieDined on 8/6/2014Have eaten at SNOB probably 15x in the past 8+ (?) years. Just as with our last visit, it is very consistent, very fun, and the food and service is excellent. Maybe not the best of the best in Charleston, but never disappoints with a wonderfully varied menu. And of course, no place does shrimp and grits like theirs. The duck breast and grouper, also long time menu items, we're expertly prepared, and the special snapper was great.Special Features:
- Okay but not greatalliDined on 8/5/2014We thought the food was okay but not anything fantastic. The BBQ tuna was recommended and honestly tasted like it had been doused with ketchup. It was really disappointing. Took forever to get drinks. Staff seemed disinterested. The place has great decor and a fun vibe but didn't live up to the hype. Maybe its location is what keeps it going since it's located in the middle of the tourist area. Most likely will not return.
- The very bestLadyAmblesideDined on 8/5/2014With so many choices in Charleston I didn't know how to chose. SNOB was recommended to me by someone who knows my palette and enjoyment of great food and marvelous chefs. From beginning to end, our experience at SNOB was more than I could have asked for. I immediately returned to our hotel and sent three couples (who were all complete strangers to me) to this restaurant to dine. Without hesitation, I would return any chance I had (I live in Canada so it will be a while before I can return!). It was definitely the best place for me to celebrate my one year surviving breast cancer AND my birthday! The best of drinks, apps, entrees, desserts, and service. A++++!!!Special Features:
- Always greatKathythefoodie123Dined on 8/5/2014I live a block from SNOB and it is my all time favorite restaurant to visit....... Everything on the menu is delicious, the service is impeccable and staff is knowledgeable about the food and where it comes from. If you have never been, get there now !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too long of a wait, For Tourists.margo1Dined on 8/4/2014We had reservations for a couple weeks. They tried to seat us in a tiny table next to the bar, which we refused. So we had to wait over 40 minutes to get a decent table. Also, the waitress could not properly pronounce some of the menu items. In addition there were many badly dressed tourists. Since I marked that I would not recommend the restaurant, this review site will not let me proceed unless I click on one of your 'favorable' categories. So I just checked something to move on..Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurant!ScottandRobinDined on 8/4/2014What a great restaurant! Great service and great food! Get the shrimp and grits, the tomatato salad with lobster and shrimp. Grouper was to die for. Outstanding restaurant and I would highly recommend you go to snob!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with a side of judgementDrHoppimbiberDined on 8/3/2014Our food was outstanding. I got the rack of lamb and it was cooked to perfection, fall off the bone tender, and served with a fantastic fruit compote. The appetizers and dessert were also phenomenal - particularly the butterscotch panna cotta. However, the service initially left a lot to be desired. My friends and I are all quite young and I have pink hair, so our waitress clearly was expecting the worst. But, we eat at nice places often, order big, tip well, and are overall good patrons. She continually left without allowing us to finish our orders (due to assuming we were going to be cheap) and was approaching snippy in her attitude. She eventually warmed up to us, but it's important to have the wait staff not judge a table by its cloth.Special Features:
- BdinerBdinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014SNOB never disappoints. Love their shrimp and grits. Their house wine is surprisingly good and a great value.Special Features:
- Orchestra on my palatePalatePleaserFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Outstanding food prepared perfectly, served in a romantic casual setting by skilled servers. Attention to detail was off the chart!Special Features:
- Not- Fried Southern FoodEastBayEDined on 8/1/2014We ate here on our last night in Charleston, our veins full of sausage gravy and fried okra. I love that stuff, but was ready for some fresh fish that was not dipped in some sort of batter. S.N.O.B. fit the bill. The place was booked on a Friday night, so OpenTable is a must. I ordered the fresh grilled red snapper, and my wife had shrimp and grits. We started with carpaccio, which was some of the best I've had. The Paper thin beef was very flavorful and tender, drizzled with Dijon, capers and pecorino cheese. My fish was a bit dry on the edges, but good overall. Its very hard to grill a thin fish filet. The shrimp and grits were fantastic an highly recommended. Service gets high marks. Highly recommended restaurant!Special Features:
- More attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014The food is always fabulous. I wish the server was attentive. It took her forever to bring us a dessert menu, a check and to clear the table. For a small place the service should definitely be better.Special Features:
- Charleston Upper End StyleVaTech71Dined on 7/31/2014We came expecting a good meal. We got more than we expected. The food was a taste treat. My wife loved the after dinner drink, Miss Lucy's. The sides were just as special as the entrees. The special dessert, Butterscotch Pot, was just that little bit different than the norm for a restaurant of this level.Special Features:
- TerriVIPDined on 7/30/2014Loved everything about the restaurant. The server was terrific...she suggested duck confit for my salad and grouper for an entree, both of which were fabulous. The ambience was great, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm-to-table!PickyPickyPeopleDined on 7/30/2014Our review didn't fit here. Please visit the restaurant site on Trip Advisor for a full review.Special Features:
- One of our Charleston favoritesGreatfallsdebVIPDined on 7/29/2014We have been to SNOB probably 4 times in the past two years. We like the overall experience. It is always busy and bustling so not sure I would go for a romantic evening but the food and service are always very good. I am a big fan of their version of shrimp and grits but have been delighted with several seafood selections as well. The bar is small but fun. This is part of a group of restaurants in Charleston and nearby. We prefer this over the other two that we have visited.Special Features:
- DissapointedPalmettogal1Dined on 7/29/2014We felt like our waitress was rushing us. My cocktail was taken away without asking if I was finished and before it was even empty. Your restaurant was out of items listed on the 'specials" menu. My plate was wisked away, again without asking if I was finished. Oh yes...the worse part was when the waitress was taking the plates away and spilled a plate's juices all over my son's pant leg. The waitress did apologize and the manager offered to pay a dry cleaning bill. It was a nice gesture, however offering to remove the entre' from the bill would have been more sincere and practical since we were from out of state. Also ordering an express lunch we were billed for the drink. VERY DISSAPPOINTED!!!!