72 W. 69th Street
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.telepan-ny.com/
- Phone: 2125804300x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Telepan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Private Party Facilities: semi-private room seats up to 20 people
- Private Party Contact: Lynne Estes 2125804300x
A word from Telepan
Chef Bill Telepan acclaimed former chef of the 3-star Judson Grill will serve the very best and freshest of seasonal foods impeccably prepared and paired with an interesting, hand- picked and reasonably priced selection of wines. Ruth Reichl described his cooking as “…extremely eloquent; each of [his] unassuming dishes roars with flavor, and the minute you finish one bite you instantly want another. His direct style draws diners into a vibrant interplay of textures, tastes and colors.” Telepan, an exciting new destination located in the heart of the Upper West Side, will welcome fine dining enthusiasts from around the city, as well as the pre- and post-theater Lincoln Center crowd.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Telepan reviews from OpenTable diners
292 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (178)special occasion (151)neighborhood gem (142)romantic (91)notable wine list (61)great for lunch (57)great for brunch (47)good for groups (16)hot spot (9)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- nebraska77VIPDined on 8/5/2014As usual very good. Service is excellent and the food comes beautifully presented. Recommend the restaurant to foodies. Do wish they would change the entrees more frequently than they do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014excellent food, superb wine selection of lesser known names of high quality, lovely serviceSpecial Features:
- DissapointingLocalVIPDined on 8/5/2014The food has gotten too complicated and exotic. We found it hard to actually find something we wanted to eat. Best thing we had with our meal were the cookies. The service was very friendly and professional.
- Got in the WRONG TIMEWallStreetDinerReviewerDined on 8/4/2014Expecting this restaurant was under Restaurant Week...I was completely shocked to find out they ONLY do Restaurant Week for LUNCH!! Although I had a nice meal, the price did not justify its means since I would gladly have spent $80 and upwards if it included the $38 fixe price restaurant week special. If they would just offer a restaurant-week "dinner" menu also, I'll definitely go again and try out their "wonderful" MENU!!Special Features:
- Delicious choices!LindaVVIPDined on 8/3/2014You need to meet friends at a restaurant? Choose Telepan. We went twice in a row and the food, ambiance and service does not disappoint. With dishes with lobster, halibut, trout, monkfish, duck, eggplant - there's something for everyone. And those delicious warm madeleines at the end are worth the calories as are the other desserts on the menu. It's the right choice for a special night out with friends or a romantic dinner for two. And I heard families love it too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!ginaVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great price fix lunch 32 dollars. Dinner is also so spectacular.Special Features:
- nebraska77VIPDined on 8/2/2014The food was outstanding - especially enjoyed the oysters. A beautiful restaurant with great service. It is definitely a restaurant for special occasions. Our waiter was Steven who took vary good care of us. He knew the menu and how the chef prepared the dishes. He could answer any questions had about several of the dishes.Special Features:
- berntasteDined on 8/1/2014The restaurant is large but they tend to seat arrivals in little sections and they fill up. the section in the back was very warm once others started to arrive and one could hear everyone's conversation. The service was quite attentive. The frutti di mare lacked creativity verging on bland, though other items were very goodSpecial Features:
- Overall a great place.ChefindreamsDined on 8/1/2014My husband and I went to telepan to celebrate his birthday. We ate the sampling menu paired with wine. Every food was prepared and delivered with care. The lobster bolonaise, halibut, and the multigrain bread made on the premise were excellent. The sauces were all good but on the salty side. Since they are striving to be the health conscious restaurant, it would be best if they would be more disciplined with the salt. For the oyster the mint overpowered the subtle flavor of the delicious sea creature, so i skimmed off the mint. The white wines were all excellent while the merlot paired with the duck was so so. Overall an outstanding place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/31/2014The food at Telepan is delicious! The service is welcoming and friendly. The dioxins beautifully presented and incredibly flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodDaveVIPDined on 7/31/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Telepan. Fish was terrific and service was oustanding.Special Features:
- Great MealLOULOUDined on 7/31/2014The food was delicious. A lot of restaurants either have good first courses or desserts. Telepan had both.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bless restaurant weekPeterDined on 7/31/2014Telepan remains my all-time favorite restaurant to visit during restaurant week, since I doubt that I could afford it otherwise.Special Features:
- Favorite UWS RestaurantParisPoodleVIPDined on 7/30/2014I always get a salad and fish at Telepan, and I've never been disappointed. The dessert leaves something to be desired, however. I don't think I've ever had a fabulous dessert at Telepan. This time I went during Restaurant Week and was pleased that Telepan had an extensive lunch selection to choose from. Chose the trout, and it came crisp on the outside, tender in the inside. Perfect. Salad was little too salty. The "pop" chocolate, which sounded so tempting, was not so after first bite. Still, this is one of my favorite spots on the UWS.Special Features:
- Great lunchJaekabyDined on 7/30/2014We sampled 3 different seafood entrees, all excellent. The appetizers and desserts likewise. Our server was wonderful. All four of us agreed we would certainly return. Wine list is a bit high priced. I would like to see some more affordable bottles.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantLuvgoodgoodVIPDined on 7/30/2014I went during restaurant week. This restaurant is a rarity. It offers the regular menu of its delicious food.Special Features:
- ARR3VIPDined on 7/29/20141st time was better. This time was a bit disappointing. Caprese was awful.
- SUPERB IN EVERY RESP4ECTOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Wonderful, imaginative food. Attractive restaurant. Tables well-spaced apart. Quiet ambiance.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/24/2014Main (bass with Spanish rice) and desert (tiramisu) were outstanding. Both were recommended by our excellent server. My first course (frisee with poached egg) was fair. I should have taken our waiter's recommendation and ordered the smoked trout as my friend did. She said it was super.I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome!!DogsVIPDined on 7/23/2014waited at bar for friends and had delicious watermelon margaritas, then to the table everything we ordered was outstanding!! big comfy booths and not on top of your neighbor, i usually never go above 23rd street, but will come uptown again for this place! seriously delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingJaneDined on 7/23/2014This restaurant is absolutely fabulous. I am a big foodie, my son is a chef and I can tell you the food was perfection.Special Features:
- Superb Dining ExperienceCMARTDined on 7/23/2014All of the dishes were exquisitely prepared. I had a special appetizer calamari dish that melted in my mouth and the monkfish for a main course that was perfectly done. Very impressive. The ambiance was very light and appealing and the waiter made helpful suggestions about the different menu options. Although we waited around for a little after completing our meal since we were going to a concert, we never felt like we were being rushed to leave the table.Special Features:
- lovely but service could be betterGiselleVIPDined on 7/23/2014We came here for dinner several years ago and again for lunch this week. Both times, the food was carefully and healthfully prepared, with fresh ingredients, and lots of vegetables. It's been redecorated since we first came and it's pleasant, though we still found its ambience less satisfying than the food. Our waiter was quite negligent, maybe because he wasn't taking the lunch crowd seriously? He didn't come to the table for a long time, then didn't bring us a wine menu until we asked, by which time we were ready to order our food, so lingering over wine before lunch was out of the question. He didn't know which cheeses were on the cheese plate, he never asked if we wanted coffee, then he disappeared altogether without notice.Special Features:
- pleasant supriseCrombieVIPDined on 7/23/2014I never knew that this restaurant is so close to Lincoln Center. The food was wonderful...glad to have found it, through Restaurant Week.Special Features:
- Wonderful!NYCFoodie603Dined on 7/20/2014Some of the best service I've had in NYC. The waiter took the time to explain every dish in detail and answered all our questions thoughtfully. The food was outstanding. My fiancée and I got the four course tasting menu. For the first course, we got the chilled tomato and red pepper soup and the lobster roll. Both dishes were excellent. I got the seafood combination dish for the second course and that was the highlight of the meal for me. The razor neck clams, little neck clams, shrimp, calamari, and squid ink pasta were all delicious. I'd go back just for that dish alone. My third course was the pork, which was good but not out of this world like the seafood dish. And the dessert was scrumptious. I'd go back for sure!Special Features:
- Wonderful!Foodie1Dined on 7/20/2014This was our second time here in 4 years , Wonderful experience! Will definetly be going back on our next trip to NY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- freshlovetoeatDined on 7/20/2014The food brought to mind the word fresh. The vegetables were just the right amount of tender crisp. One just knew that they were freshly harvested. From the appetizer course to the desserts, the food was perfectly done. I would be hard pressed to say how the meal could have been improved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go backJackieBDined on 7/19/2014The food, service and ambiance are wonderful. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the wine. Much of the menu can be done gluten free. We will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOverratedDined on 7/19/2014Was there for brunch. The place is dark and gloomy, lit with candles, with no natural light. It's a nice atmosphere for dinner, but terrible for brunch. Add to this the awfully hands off and blasé attitudes of the servers (we had to constantly hunt for our server to order another drink etc). Food is better than average but not terribly impressive.
- Sophisticated and privateolgathisVIPDined on 7/18/2014Very impressive...the food, the ambiance, the decor. It is more on the quiet side which is a rarity in Manhattan where restaurants are packed with people. At Telepan one can actually talk because there is no overwhelming music and there is actually enough space for two people to dine. Love the corner couch tables. Service is outstanding, fast and courteous. The food is perfect for someone who likes healthy meals. Everything is beautifully presented but the portions are a decent size. I had monkfish which was outstanding, mozzarella and polenta appetizer was amazing as well as pea pancakes. All in all, this is a truly special pre-theater spot and is a neighborhood gem in the area full of tourists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodDined on 7/18/2014Small portions and underwhelming food in a not too exciting atmosphere. Disappointed, I'd heard it was a really good UWS restaurant.Special Features:
- Vegan need MoreAvitheVeganDined on 7/17/2014The food is great, yet too few choices for Vegan Customers at this fantastic place. We need more fat free Vegan choices which are healthy and tasty. Portions are all too small, for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another excellent eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/15/2014Telepan is becoming a favorite spot for my husband and me--and special guests when they visit. This evening the service was outstanding, as well as the food. I always tell myself that I will not order an appetizer; however, I also, always do so because their choices are always delectably unique. Wine was good and, again, at a very reasonable price. We will return in the next few weeks.Special Features:
- EnidtuoDined on 7/12/2014Great food and service. Lobster/ spaghetti dish is superb. Tilefish appetizer is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- badgerfanDined on 7/11/2014This is a restaurant which reflects the values of its owners and staff: unpretentious service -- the wine director is both modest and expert (ask for his recommendations -- and good food and drink. The menu retains the signature of its owner and chef, Bill Telepan who for years has quietly championed the importance of local sourcing -- not as a marketing strategy but a desire for better, fresher, and sustainable ingredients. AS a result the menu changes often. And the food is delicious. The menu is flexible. Customers are welcome to have a small course or a feast. It is not informal, is not inexpensive, but it is welcoming to all. I like to sit at the bar or at a bar table..Special Features:
- Food never disappointsPetite4Dined on 7/11/2014And the prix-fixe lunch is an amazing way to try the very fine offerings. The room offers an oasis of calm, even if some of the lunching ladies and gents get a bit boisterous. Service is alert and responsive. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A West Side gem!CandGDined on 7/10/2014The cold tomato and pepper soup topped with cheese and croutons was refreshing. Pea pancakes with spinach and flat pasta were incredible ... and I loved the crunch of the crusty halibut, which stayed moist and tender, as was the monkfish with ribbons of yellow squash! Very inventive dishes and wonderful plating. What a great discovery in my neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing a step or two!SkipBuzzVIPDined on 7/9/2014Third visit with two mediocre and one great experience. Food is generally very good to excellent but misses are severe enough to spoil the experience ( halibut was way overdone). Wine list is excellent with many well priced bottles. Service ranges from professional and unobtrusive to amateurish to borderline rude...inexcusable! Ambience remains attractive with well spaced tables. Place is popular and buzzing.
- Yummy foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2014The tasting menu was delicious and a LOT (possible too much) food for me! Very quiet and nice ambiance and service was excellent - this is our go to spot for a special night out.Special Features:
- DisappointingslobloDined on 7/7/2014Service and Food were mediocre at best. Duck was fatty, salad was just passable, fish was just OK. I will not return.