La Note Restaurant Provencal
2377 Shattuck Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94704Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
La Note Restaurant Provencal
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.lanoterestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5108431525
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 8:00AM - 11:00AM; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00AM - 2:30PM, Saturday & Sunday: 11:00AM - 3:00PM; Dinner: Thursday - Sunday: 6:00PM - 10:00PM
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The entire patio is also available for private events of 25 and over. We offer Provencal platters in the spirit of our a la carte menu selections, beautifully presented for large groups. Delivery is not available unless special arrangements are made.
- Private Party Facilities: The entire patio is also available for private events of 18 or more for private events (seasonally). The entire restaurant is available to rent Mondays-Wednesdays. Thursdays-Saturdays, large dinner groups are available during main service (not a private event) for parties up to 40.
- Private Party Contact: Dorothée 5108431517
- Entertainment: Live Guitarist on Thursday evenings. Accordion on Friday evenings
A word from La Note Restaurant Provencal
La Note is an authentic Provençal restaurant in the heart of downtown Berkeley. Traditional breakfast and lunch bistro fare are combined with rustic Provençal dinners in a warm and charming atmosphere. The restaurant's owner won an award in excellence in 1998 for "outstanding storefront improvements" and rehabilitation of its beautiful 1875 building. The stunning interior patio is open April - October.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
La Note Restaurant Provencal - Best Restaurants in Berkeley ›
La Note Restaurant Provencal reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (72)neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (56)great for lunch (53)romantic (39)great for outdoor dining (38)special occasion (28)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (7)notable wine list (7)scenic view (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014Thank you for the vase for my sunflowers! Excellent service, excellent food, and a very pleasant dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoisBVIPDined on 5/27/2014Although La Note has a lovely outdoor courtyard for dining, it was offset by truly terrible service. The wait to put in our order was surpassed only by the wait to get our food. I received the wrong breakfast order, which I didn't realize until the waitress swooped in and grabbed my plate mid- mouthful, announcing it was for another table. We had to flag down a busboy to get coffee, since the waitress was nowhere to be found. Pancakes were dry and chewy, although the eggs and potatoes were good. Overall, a disappointment.
- delightfulomnivorous12Dined on 5/27/2014The food was amazing! I had the 3 minute eggs and they were fantastic! The tomatoes were deliciousSpecial Features:
- The following 517 reviews are from the La Note Restaurant Provencal reviews archive.
- Disappointing dinnerTastebudDined on 5/24/2014After having enjoyed excellent lunches here, especially when weather permits using their outdoor garden, we were very disappointed in the quality of dinner. Chicken dish dry, overcooked, and tasteless. Pasta dish just okay. Wines by the glass, good.Special Features:
- Not worth itDavidssun123Dined on 5/23/2014My second time here and overall not really worth it. The food is okay(Italian French fusion??), the service can be hit or miss(we didn't even get everything we ordered), the place is too small to have a man playing an accordion(you can hardly talk to the person in front of you). You can find better French food elsewhere.....or Italian for that matter. One of the waitresses is really cute though......so that's a plus? :P
- Amazing everything.PastriesEstVieDined on 5/15/2014This is easily one of the most amazing French restaurants in the bay area. Great service, amazing food, and the restaurant itself doesn't give off an air of stuffiness, and snobbishness like you would expect. A bit on the pricy side, but well well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DinnerMikeDined on 5/10/2014Excellent little gem of a restaurant. Small, charming dining room. Outstanding staff and the food is great. Will go back soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2014We had dinner. Wonderful, attentive service. Huge portion of food they serve, including appetite (which can easily be an entree). Busy time on Fridays seems to be from 6 to 8:30 pm, which you might need a reservation. Live accordion music by the door was another plus.Special Features:
- Nothing specialLynn2048VIPDined on 4/30/2014Had the tuna salad, the spicy lamb and the charcuterie. The dishes were under seasoned and bland. The charcuterie plate had items piled on top of each other in a haphazard fashion to the point where you had to dig thru the plate to find what was there - the presentation was not up to par. Overall, would not return for the food however, the service was great, very attentive without being invasive. Not among our preferred choices for French bistro fare, there are a number of other better choices in the immediate area.
- Birthday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/29/2014I'm always happy at La Note -- consistent good service and good food. Request for outdoor seating handled effortlessly. Appreciated the comp'd mimosa for my birthday!Special Features:
- great local spotLivermoronVIPDined on 4/26/2014Food had great flavors - three of us for our first visit and would gladly return; classicSpecial Features:
- Wonderful!FranDined on 4/26/2014This was not our first dinner at La Note. My husband and I have been there three or four times and have taken friends, also. We are never disappointed. It has actually gotten better and better. The food and service are perfect. The serving sizes are very generous. Yet, with all of this going for it, the prices are very reasonable. Truly a winner!Special Features:
- Tried and TrueJaneVIPDined on 4/25/2014Very dependable, good quality, tasty food, although the restaurant does take some short cuts to keep costs down! Same menu with nightly specials. If you have an 8 pm curtain time to meet, you need to keep track of the time because the wait staff always seems to be short-handed.Special Features:
- Great little place in BerkeleyFoodfarandwideDined on 4/24/2014Our table was ready when we arrived although they were very busy. The service staff was patient with the kids and attentive. The food was tasty and plentiful. The prices were not too steep: brunch for 6 for about $115 with tip.Special Features:
- Great Food Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014Too bad we had such bad service, my tea was delivered to the wrong table and then not served to me until 1 hour into the meal. Service was very long-50 minutes for 2 salads and 1 baguette. I brought friends from out of town and was hoping for a more classy experience.Special Features:
- at the window seatThursday17AprilDined on 4/17/2014a most delicious lasagna!!! a very pleasant surprise....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, and with great food!MaggieDined on 4/10/2014I love this restaurant! The French style food is excellent, fresh, and unique. I enjoy bringing friends and out of town visitors here for lunch or dinner. We have never failed to have a good experience at La Note.. Guests like the cozy rustic atmosphere inside. (I have not been outside). The décor makes one feel like being in a French country cottage. The service is just right, attentive, and timely. The menu is perfect, not huge, but with plenty of interesting choices. The noise level is a bit on the high side, but that seems to be normal these days. The price is moderate and the dress is casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent French FoodDiscerningdinerDined on 4/8/2014It is nice to be able to find decent French food in town. Once the preferred cuisine of the cultured palate, it seems since to have been left behind in Berkeley as its denizens pursue their perpetual race to be trendy. La Note does a reasonable facsimile of a French cafe/bistro. It is classic, comfortable and comforting.
- Best breakfast in BerkeleyJamesDined on 4/4/2014My staff and I have tried most places downtown for breakfast. La Note is our all time favorite. The breakfast "sud" with the Merghez sausages rocks!Special Features:
- GreatliamDined on 3/29/2014One of my favorite Berkeley restaurants. Excellent French cuisine! Check the hours before assuming they're open.Special Features:
- Wonderful French Country RestaurantLarryVIPDined on 3/14/2014This is a delightful place to have lunch or dinner and feel like you are in the French countryside. The food was very good, the service was excellent, and on a Friday night the place was packed and fairly noisy.Special Features:
- Wonderful food ,a neighborhood gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2014This wonderful little restaurant is a find. Food is very good, atmosphere feels very homey and intimate and decor is welcoming and creates a European ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should try onceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/12/2014Good for lunch, but nothing special as it's not authentic french food. It's a lot better than the food in the rest of Berkeley, so it's good to mix it up every once in a while. Cute spot for a date or outing with friends, but you pay for the atmosphere, not the food itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ooops - a Slip UpLaNoteLoverDined on 3/10/2014We were there at noon, they were out of the staple salmon. My guest the ordered the Daily Special of salad with prawns. Waitress took order, returned 5 minutes later with "No prawns, that should not have been a daily special." Not a good way to begin a meal. This is the only time we have had a problem. Food is always very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2014It is a lovely restaurant, size is nice, and the menu was imaginative using fresh ingredientsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite. AuthenticSighDined on 3/8/2014Always a favorite. Authentic Provencal food. Could easily be any cafe in Aix en ProvenceSpecial Features:
- Wish the food was betterRosemaryshitakeVIPDined on 3/8/2014We have been to La Note a few times for dinner. The menu feels limited and a bit uncharacteristic for a place that has such a French atmosphere. Too many sandwiches for dinner...But my main complaint was the Ratatoullie which was on a bed of cous cous so heavy w rosemary it tasted almost molding. There wasn't much eggplant either it seemed. Our waitress was great and replaced my entree w the chicken which was adorned with a dozen barely cooked garlic cloves. After pushing the garlic aside, I did enjoy the dish. I do enjoy garlic and the green beans were perfectly cooked w garlic. I have heard brunch is good, so we will give it one more try.Special Features:
- Reliable La Note!JaneVIPDined on 3/7/2014Once again, we enjoyed a very delicious, reasonably priced meal at La Note. We began our meal with our favorite appetizer -- the baked brie with roasted pears and toast points -- always perfect! My husband seems to always order the steak, which is reliably tender, flavorful and perfectly prepared. I tried the ravioli, this time filled with goat cheese covered in a rich, creamy béchamel sauce. We finished with another of our favorites -- the profiteroles filled with vanilla ice cream and drowned in a rich chocolate sauce -- magnificent!! To accompany our special dinner, my husband ordered a bottle of bubbly -- not from Champagne, but still fun to enjoy! Our server was friendly and efficient, much appreciated since we had an 8 pm concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute and QuaintmkaybhanDined on 2/28/2014Although the tables are a little snug, this cute little brunch place remains one of my favorites! The food is absolutely delicious, especially the brunch specials (tip: try the lemon gingerbread pancake!), the whole atmosphere is very laid back and it feels like you get a glimpse of what brunch in Paris would be like. Everything from the cute little water jug to the sweet complementary jam they serve is well thought out! Definitely would recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/27/2014Arrived Thursday at 6:25 and told server that we had an 8 PM show. The place was not crowded. It took way too long to get food; we reminded our waitress of our time constraints. Two of us ordered salads for mains which should have been ready in minutes. By 7:20 hadn't received entrees, although I did get soup (tasteless) & they put bread on the table. Food arrived 7:30, we had 10 minutes to eat. Immediately asked for check and "to-go" cartons. Waitress said kitchen was doing it's best but considering it was 25% occupied when we arrived (to be fair it did fill up quite a bit during the next 45 minutes) the 4 of us felt the service was unacceptable. My husband's butternut squash lasagna was swimming in white sauce which he found inedible.
- Very Good Neighborhood RestaurantLarryDined on 2/27/2014My wife and I have been to La Note many times and the experience has always been positive. The food is consistently good and service generally quite rapid. We plan to go back many times.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner for 4LawrenceJDined on 2/22/2014We were impressed with the waiter's professional yet friendly service. The frisee salad was a hit, as were the coq a vin and seafood stew (very similar to bouillabaisse, but a bit richer). Also pleased at reasonable mark ups on wines, such as a bottle of Roderer Estate sparking wine for $45. Desserts devoured quickly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for dinner with somedx855VIPDined on 2/22/2014We went for dinner with some friends. We had a pretty mixed view of the mains across the table, some were great (mixed seafood in pastry and steak) though other mains (pasta options) were not as good. Dessert was great, as was the coffee. Difficult to get attention of waitresses at times during the evening, but they were friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really love La Note!LinBVIPDined on 2/22/2014La Note has always been one of my favorite SF Bay Area restaurants. It oozes charm and cozy welcoming as well as having authentic provencal French cuisine. I always love to bring a friend and introduce them, as they are always surprised and pleased by the experience. I love any of the stews, roasted chicken, fish, any of the eggs dishes, superb salads and all of the great espresso coffees. La Note is an authentic French Cafe experience. In nice weather, when backyard patio is open, there is no place better in Berkeley to have a delightful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for pre theaterDorothyDined on 2/21/2014This was a terrific find for pre- Berkeley Rep dinner. More extensive menu than I thought, great food and nice wines. Dessert was soooo yummySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Key NoteskmaggyDined on 2/21/2014La Note was recommended by a coworker of mine as a good brunch spot in the downtown Berkeley. My GF and I decided to try it out Saturday for brunch. It is conveniently located near Berkeley BART and is near campus. Anyways, we were expecting a long wait and as we checked in we were glad to hear that its approx. 35 minute wait. Long story short, we waited only 10 minutes to be seated because a lot of the people waiting decided to leave. The pastries are awesome, order those. the eggs and bacon are wonk wonk. I recommend to indulge in the assorted pastry basket and forget the eggs and bacon. It is Parisian not IHOP.Special Features:
- Great for before theater!ElleDined on 2/20/2014This is a real go-to place for dinner before Berkeley Rep or the Freight and Salvage!Special Features:
- Experience at La Note restaurantn2foodDined on 2/15/2014I would not return to this restaurant,we had reservations for 7:30 pm and had to wait 15 mins for our table, the food was ordinary and not well presented didn't seem French at all to me , I had the slow cook chicken and it was very dry the pastry seafood dish lack sea food.
- We came here for SaturdaycanyonkarenDined on 2/15/2014We came here for Saturday dinner before a play and loved the food. Dishes: CROTIN DE FROMAGE DE CHEVRE CUITS AUX NOIX, BAGUETTE A LA MERGUEZ, RAVIOLES AUX CHAMPIGNONS ET AUX BLETTES, plus a side of ratatouille. All were excellent. Service was good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Berkeley sceneSpontinDined on 2/14/2014Small restaurant, extremely busy place. Small tables with somewhat uncomfortable chairs. However, excellent service and wonderful food "a la Provençale". Deserts are just over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.