Morimoto New York
88 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Morimoto New York
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.morimotonyc.com/
- Phone: 2129898883
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 2:30pm DINNER Sunday - Wednesday 5:30pm - 10:45pm Thursday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Morimoto New York
Morimoto is the New York City interpretation of Executive Chef Masaharu Morimoto’s namesake Philadelphia restaurant that is co-owned with restaurateur Stephen Starr. Designed by world renowned architect Tadao Ando, the restaurant’s entrance features the world’s largest Japanese Noren curtain set against a massive façade of austere steel. Inside is an extraordinary open kitchen surrounded by a 24-seat sushi bar where diners can watch Morimoto and his chefs at work. On every level of the restaurant guests enjoy the elaborate menu where East meets West. Glass partitions create a private atmosphere between tables and a wall made of 17,000 spring water bottles add a touch of New York drama to this tranquil atmosphere. Guests have the option to dine on the top floor or congregate in the lower lounge for cocktails and snacks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Morimoto New York reviews from OpenTable diners
532 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (324)fit for foodies (313)hot spot (195)romantic (180)good for groups (131)great for lunch (112)neighborhood gem (87)vibrant bar scene (62)notable wine list (45)late-night find (34)great for brunch (21)kid-friendly (17)scenic view (13)great for outdoor dining (12)Show More
- Nice splurge for special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014Double date with friends of ours, and we all went for the Omakase. Tartare course was incredible, my favorite by far. Sushi was very good, other courses tasty. Dessert came in 3 mini courses, a palette cleanser which was light and tasty, a raspberry tiramisu which was had a really nice balance of flavors. The table was disappointed in the last mochi piece which left a bit of a bitter taste. Would return for a special occasion but probably not often for the $800 tab.Special Features:
- Trendy & TastyfoodiegalDined on 8/5/2014Went for the first time for Tuesday dinner. Beautiful place, a bit loud for conversation though. Beef carpaccio was very nice. We didn't get the tuna tartare but the presentation of that on other tables looked amazing. Tried the geoduck clam sashimi (seasonal special) since that was on my bucket list of things to try. It was crunchy and fresh as opposed to chewy like I thought. The black cod entree was delicious but too salty. The yellowtail buri bop in a hot pot was fun to see prepared tableside, but wasn't the most dynamic dish. The side order of pea shoots was quite generous but also very salty. The two specialty cocktails (their takeoff on a french 77 and the sesame drink) were delicious. Be sure to check out the bathroom stalls too!Special Features:
- Tasty!NorwegianDined on 8/4/2014Really tasty and goodlooking food. Exellent service. But too loud Music! It was difficult to converse.Special Features:
- Amazing!Morimoto4theWinDined on 8/4/2014My husband and I went to Morimoto's for our anniversary and happened to catch the Restaurant Week special. What an amazing deal! Best meal ever! Impeccable service, beautiful decor and amazing food. A must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YikesMindyBDined on 8/4/2014I know it is Restaurant Week, but the service was awful. The waitress cleared my friends dish while I still ate. Then someone brought over dessert again while I was still eating. In the end the manager apologized and comped lunch, but I've gotten better service at places far less nice than Morimoto.
- Happy patronFoodloverDined on 8/4/2014Came here with family during restaurant week. The beef was delicious and the sushi and sashimi was so fresh. However, the cod fish is so tiny. Both the strawberry shortcake and the coffee ice-cream were great desserts. Nice decor too. Overall, we had a great experience.Special Features:
- Adults OnlymouseDined on 8/3/2014Visited Morimoto with my Family last Sunday and got the impression that our Children, ages 21, 19, and 14, were not welcome. Granted they were the only Children we saw, but the attitude of the Hostess and our Server towards them, and us, was they were not welcome.Special Features:
- Always funOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/3/2014For second year in a row we did the tasting menu and we were all pleased to see that it changes. We loved it first time but we were ready to order off menu instead as we wanted to try something different. As last time we were not disappointed. The food was excellent, staff informative and attentive, drinks outstanding. Overall we had a memorable experience and look forward to returning.Special Features:
- yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/3/2014the food was delicious!! Love the Ramen!! and the dessert (forgot the name but with bananas), awesome!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkP123456789VIPDined on 8/2/2014Great food but pricey. Better than a typical Japanese place, but not worth th price jump.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute spotReginaKDined on 8/2/2014It was a surprise dinner for a friend of mine. We got there a little earlier and went downstairs to the bar to get a drink. The atmosphere was really nice, very cute design with a million of bottles along the wall. You must go and see the restroom. It was so cool, seems like therewas a tunnel and pink flowers in the glass. Very fresh and good sushi but nothing extra ordinary. Deffinatly good to experience once or twice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just as I would have hoped forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014after watching the iron chef you would expect an outstanding meal and that what we got. Dinner was excellent! we ordered seared tuna that was prepared at your table in a hot stone bowl, sea bass that melted in your mouth and the duck,duck duck- Duck served 3 ways! Of coarse we started with the chefs suggested sushi plate. The bathrooms are worth a visit thats all Ill say :) the only problem we had was finding the front door- it's covered with a large canvas hanging you have to pull back to get inside.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014I really like foods and sweet potatochips but when I open my left over take out bag, there's no sweet potato chips, only burger. That's pretty disappointing.. except that, everything was pretty good.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/1/2014Great service. Waitstaff was extremely helpful and courteous. Excellent food. Will be back for more.Special Features:
- Thanks for the restaurant week menuJessicaDined on 7/31/2014My husband and I dined at Morimoto for lunch during Restaurant Week, and we were very happy with everything we ordered. We went off menu and got the 1/2 dozen oysters, which were served three ways (one was very spicy, one with chives, and another with a mignonette). All were delicious - and the oysters were big and fresh. My husband got black cod for lunch, and I got the sushi sampler - both were served with miso soup, salad, and fresh pickles. I was stuffed by the time dessert came around, but found room to enjoy a bit of both. In my opinion, the Strawberry Shortcake was innovative and delicious. Lunch was about 2 hours long, and we sat at the sushi bar - highly recommended. Especially during Restaurant Week ($25 for 3 courses)Special Features:
- Noisy women prevailDossieVIPDined on 7/31/2014It is difficult, if not impossible, to get a quiet table. Morimoto is about the only Japanese restaurant doing Restaurant Week for which it is not only affordable, but authentic and nicely presented.Special Features:
- Microscopic portionsUnderwhelmedDined on 7/31/2014Granted we went for restaurant week so it wasn't a money making endeavor for the restaurant...but the main lunch course was smaller than the dessert. The food was incredibly delicious but we left hungry.
- AmazingGeraVIPDined on 7/30/2014Second time there and everything was awesome. The wine that I wanted was not in stock but, the other one we picked was great.Special Features:
- Visual and Taste Extravaganza10thAveStunnerDined on 7/30/2014Rarely does a retaurant's design, service, and food all hit high notes for me. All four of us in our party found the restaurant to be a stunning, visual masterpiece. Don't remember a time when there were so many taste treats and not a single regret in our ordering. Hats off to the chef, designer, manager and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EstelleVIPDined on 7/30/2014Black cod on the restaurant week menu is juicy and tender. Everything is a bit on the salty side though. Strawberry shortcake is nicely presented, but more a parfait than a shortcake.Special Features:
- A nice samplePatrickVIPDined on 7/30/2014It's hard to judge an expensive place during Restaurant Week, trying to give you a sample of what would normally be much more expensive. My sashimi was superb, but a tiny sampling of 5 kinds. The miso and salad were just so so. But the dessert was absolutely spectacular. It does seem though, even at the special bargain prices, a server could have come by after I was served to notice my tiny skinny glass of iced tea (mainly ice) was empty. It would have been nice to have it refilled -- even when I was finished with my main course before dessert, but no the glass was whisked away. I thought perhaps he was bringing it back filled, but no. End result of the lunch? Maybe I'd go back and pay two or three times as much to get more -- or not
- Starting to decline...mrgordon01Dined on 7/29/2014Nothing last forever. This is still one of my favorite restaurants solely for the quality of the food, but the service seems to have diminished and it really brought down the experience after I was boasting to friends how much they'll like the restaurant. In the end, the food was good, but that wasn't enough for my friends to agree that this is a restaurant they would give another chance. I'm sure I'll be back, but my expectations have come down.Special Features:
- Spectacular SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014My 3rd time . Food was dynamite service was dynamite. The only problem was they gave me and my party one of the worst if not worst table in the place. I was entertaining clients from outside the US and I was pretty embarrassed. On the good side table was well situated by the toilet !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceblaineDined on 7/29/2014Loved the atmosphere, the service, not to mention the food was excellent. Overall, would recommend to anybody.Special Features:
- Morimoto NY dinnerBravo2Dined on 7/28/2014My wife and I decided to try Morimoto during our recent outing to NY. Was interested about the restaurant from his presence on the original Iron Chef, where we were impressed with his skill and creativity. To start the restaurant neat part of town and discrete, actually walked by it, very low key entry. Inside, impressed with the Ambience, tan tones, clean lines, seating brings you close to other tables but not on top of each other. Now to the food. The impressions were split. When it came to the main menu items, where the creative dishes are listed we would say the food was very good. I had the Foie Gras and Oysters, was excellent. On the regular Sushi I would say I have had better and for less, this was overpriced for what we got.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and presentation were great!!!NattDined on 7/28/2014We ordered the chefs choice and were pleasantly surprised to taste all the delicious dishes!! I would highly recommend the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snazzy but simpleValueSeekerDined on 7/28/2014Fancy place, but unassuming staff and delicious, healthy and beautiful dishes in the heart of Chelsea -- right by the market, the river, the Highline and the Meatpacking District! Citibike docks close by and subway 2 blocks away.Special Features:
- LOVE ITaviramDined on 7/27/2014not our 1st time but as always a celebration of amazing tastes with great atmosphere and service . The BestSpecial Features:
- A smash foodNinjaDined on 7/27/2014Food is excellent and reasonably expensive. Service needs a bit of improvement. Overall a great experience! Have to try the Morimoto beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a kind culinary experinceFood2shareDined on 7/27/2014This is a restaurant that you never have to miss when you visit NYC like we do. If you live in NYC is the restaurant to visit any time you can.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceDktran31VIPDined on 7/26/2014Went here with two friends on a Saturday night. We did the Morimoto Omakase ($135pp). Food was good, service was better. I would give the food 8/10 and the service 10/10. We were 20 min late for our reservation and yet they kindly accommodated us. The tuna tartare course was cool and tasty. I was not a big fan of the miso fondue dish. I loved the scallop. I wish there was a sashimi course as part of Omakase. My favorite course by far was the lobster and wagyu beef. The wagyu was cooked perfectly. There were 3 deserts! All were good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- helpful staffMeliDined on 7/26/2014Staff were helpful in insuring that a diner with a food allergy was accommodated. They also moved us to a more private table on a busy Saturday night in order to make our birthday celebration more pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Fabulous.Ralpho23Dined on 7/26/2014As an adult with a appetite for fine dining Morimoto's succeeds in every category. Not only was the service superb but eating in a restaurant known for its spectacular seafood, especially sushi and shellfish this place is a knockout. I am deathly allergic to shellfish, even a microscopic piece of shrimp or lobster would ruin my night, the server assured me that I had no worries and he offered to help me find dishes that would absolutely shellfish free and even recommended some sushi that would be very enjoyable. I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that It is quite clear why Iron chef Morimoto hardly ever loses, from appetizers to entrees, desserts to drinks everything was outstanding and the prices are right where they should be. A++++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2014Loved the restaurant and the food. The bar was a little lacking in service and energy level. Service in the dining area was great and decor was nice too. would recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- AdamKDined on 7/25/2014Went for restaurant week lunch, and had the wonderful steak. The portions are quite large, and the restrooms are out of this world!Special Features:
- Great food!!ElenaVIPDined on 7/25/2014I've been here twice, once for dinner with friends and recently for the restaurant week lunch. Both times the food was outstanding, also the restaurant week menu (which even in very nice restaurants it is usually average and not as good as the regular menu). I strongly recommend the bone marrow as appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sensesational!WellfedVIPDined on 7/25/2014There is no question that the restaurant is under the influence of culinary genius. We tried the lunch menu for the first time during restaurant week. The food was absolutely delicious. The one issue that arose was with the waitstaff attention... one of the diners of our party has a lethal allergy to nuts, but the waitstaff served her a dessert with almonds. Luckily, the bus man that dropped the dessert mentioned the components of the dish, and we were able to avert a medical disaster, but it was a disappointing end to what would have otherwise been a completely amazing experience.Special Features:
- More MorimotoEddieDined on 7/25/2014Definitely the place to visit for great food and unique decor. My favorites are the skirt steak and sushi. Oh! Be sure to have the strawberry dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty2Dined on 7/25/2014The reduction on the fish was a bit too salty for my taste. But overall, the food was good and I will come back again, to try something else. Service was flawless and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is ITOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Friday July 24th lunch at Morimoto NYC. How good can a restaurant get? Try this food. Experience this service. Fantastic food placed before you in a beautiful motif. If you want to open a restaurant, come here first. If you run a restaurant, come here to improve your place. As my son said as we finished "Dad, we don't have to go any place else. This is IT". After Delmonico's, Gramercy Tavern, and Petrossian (all great meals), it still held true. This is IT. It didn't hurt that it was $25 for NYC 2014 Summer Restaurant Week.Special Features: