Morimoto New York
88 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Morimoto New York
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.morimotonyc.com/
- Phone: 2129898883
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 2:30pm DINNER Sunday - Wednesday 5:30pm - 10:45pm Thursday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Morimoto New York
Morimoto is the New York City interpretation of Executive Chef Masaharu Morimoto’s namesake Philadelphia restaurant that is co-owned with restaurateur Stephen Starr. Designed by world renowned architect Tadao Ando, the restaurant’s entrance features the world’s largest Japanese Noren curtain set against a massive façade of austere steel. Inside is an extraordinary open kitchen surrounded by a 24-seat sushi bar where diners can watch Morimoto and his chefs at work. On every level of the restaurant guests enjoy the elaborate menu where East meets West. Glass partitions create a private atmosphere between tables and a wall made of 17,000 spring water bottles add a touch of New York drama to this tranquil atmosphere. Guests have the option to dine on the top floor or congregate in the lower lounge for cocktails and snacks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Morimoto New York reviews from OpenTable diners
543 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (332)special occasion (331)hot spot (205)romantic (176)good for groups (143)great for lunch (102)neighborhood gem (98)vibrant bar scene (68)late-night find (49)notable wine list (48)great for brunch (19)kid-friendly (17)scenic view (15)great for outdoor dining (9)Show More
- LH05VIPDined on 8/23/2014wonderful, attentive service - loved our waiter Freddie and the bartender who could tell we were't that happy with a drink so he quickly replaced it with something else. Phenomenal food! this is our favorite celebration spotSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phoned it inrfgeeDined on 8/22/2014This was our 2nd time here, and our we won't be returning. We ordered the Omakase and our waiter asked us if we wanted the "repeater" Omakase so it would be a different assortment than the last time we were there. This may have been our naivete, but shouldn't it change frequently? Our last visit was years ago! The waiter also commented that the glass of wine I ordered was dry, and asked if that was ok. I asked for a taste; he hesitated then told us he thought he could do that. We'd just ordered over $200 of food and I was ordering a wine by the glass - shouldn't a taste be no problem?! In the end most of the courses were interesting and came out at a good pace. But it felt the whole experience was sort of phoned in and not special.
- delicious10yrsandcountingDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I went for our 10 year anniversary. The staff are very accommodating as we had our own bottle of champagne. The food was absolutely amazing. We will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow...just, wow!GreenmonkeystarDined on 8/21/2014Went with a friend for a bday dinner. We sat at the bar, which I strongly recommend if it's just two. We had the tasting menu and 3 different sakes. Really special meal but special costs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MORIMOTO ROCKS!DebMaffDined on 8/21/2014Favorites are the Toro Tartare and the Scallop Appetizer with the foam. Brilliant presentations, my compliments to the chef!!Special Features:
- don't goMaPa0814VIPDined on 8/20/2014Too spicy, it was supposed to be Japanese and not Mexican, food not good at all.
- Eat well and have funDavoDined on 8/19/2014Morimotos provided me with an exceptional meal and drinks with good value. The shrimp tempura was served in two different sauces and both were packed with flavor and cooked perfectly. The fatty tuna crudo was the perfect way to enjoy the creamy luscious texture of toro with the added bonus of flavorful and textured condiments. Service was very good with the right amount of attentiveness. The overall value of the meal was good and we left not feeling overstuffed. We will return.Special Features:
- photo-worthygelatoVIPDined on 8/19/2014I am not normally one of those people who whip out their cell phones to document each course, but at Morimoto, it was necessary. Every dish is a work of art - visually and deliciously. We had the chef's choice (9 courses, $130), and loved it.Special Features:
- Everything you'd expectbackbayfoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014What a great restaurant, and not that expensive for NYC! Tasting menus are very pricey, but the a la carte sushi is very reasonable and fresh. Service was outstanding, and in particular, try the shrimp tempura and soft shell crab appetizers, which are large enough to share and amazing. We loved it and will be back!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014Went for restaurant week and the food was great - and the service was outstanding (our waiter had told the kitchen about my wifes soy allergy, but when he saw one of the side dishes and had thought it had soy, he quickly checked back with the kitchen and had it substituted). The burger was one of the best i've ever had, and the sushi is top notch. Very vibrant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but very expensiveNappouDined on 8/14/2014Food and particularly sushi is great but the price is very expensive for the quantity you get. Morimoto is a luxury gourmet restaurent but that doesn't mean that people going there are pigeon willing to pay anything at any price...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014Food and service were absolutely incredible. Food was creative, inventive, and super tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerswedeDined on 8/14/2014I have eaten several times at Morimoto in the past. While it seemed lagging a bit recently, this dinner was outstanding. There are several new dishes on the menu and they were supertasty and adventurous. Keep adding new dishesSpecial Features:
- JunoonVIPDined on 8/14/2014This was my second time at this famous restaurant. (The first time was 6 years ago or so...) This time, restaurant week lunch was disappointing. Sashimi was not fresh. For the restaurant of this caliber that was not a passable quality of sashimi fish. I think, also, low sodium soy sauce was not really low-sodium, but...those are just nuances. However, for the restaurant of its grandeur and reputation, things like that should not be overlooked... The service was loose, with poor timing...They did not ask me for order of dishes...Brought sashimi lunch at the end, after warm heavy dishes...I could not appreciate raw fish after heavy and fat saturated bone marrow... If this were a regular sushi joint, then this could be OK, but Morimoto...!Special Features:
- Scallop is not fresh!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014First time try Morimoto in restaurant week. My sashimi contained two thin slices of a scallop. I tried one piece, it tested so fishy, I immediately stuffed all the pickled ginger in my mouth to mask the smell. Dessert was covered by a glop of cheap testing whipped cream. What a disappointment! This is my first and the last time to Morimoto.
- Excelllent Restaurant!NYNJLADYDined on 8/14/2014This is the 2nd time I went to Morimoto. I absolutely loved my lunch. Sushi was so fresh. The meal was outstanding. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodNewdinerDined on 8/14/2014A group of us had lunch during restaurant week. There was a wide selection of set menus and from what we chose, the quality was uniformly excellent. Ordered some starters, of which the rock shrimp was the stand-out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moritmoto Yummy!TheDiningDivaVIPDined on 8/14/2014Everythig we ordered was deicious. Restaurant Week menu very good! Loved the sushi and shrmp. Will be back soon!Special Features:
- Memorable cuisine and settingblgwDined on 8/14/2014At a busy lunchtime. all on the menu was pleasing. A ginger and soy cod standout, beautiful, delectable. Service was attentive.Special Features:
- BuenísimoSantinoVIPDined on 8/13/2014Cada vez que estoy en Nueva York la parada obligada es Morimoto. Excelente comida y servicio.Special Features:
- Great experience!!!dtng06Dined on 8/13/2014We ordered: 1) chirashi sushi Morimoto style 2) negitoro rolls: Tuna roll Salmon roll Avocado roll 3) sea bass with tempura avocado & red bell pepper 4) side: Chinese broccoli All the dishes were fresh & delicious. However, I preferred the sea bass cooked in black been sauce with enokitake mushroom at Nobu's restaurant (on 57th Street, NYC) better because it seemed a bit more refined (less salted & of lighter version, to my taste.) I loved the relaxed convivial ambience due to the close proximity of other tables... (My son ordered the tofu cheese cake for dessert after seeing it being served at the nearby table and we savored it!!! Great experience overall. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchtpsoinosVIPDined on 8/13/2014I have been to this restaurant several times for dinner and today was my first time for lunch. My husband and I both tried the Restaurant Week special black cod and skirt state and they were out of this world. Came with a great hijiki salad and a great miso soup as well as a surprising good green salad - simple with a hint of kabosu vinaigrette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you Restaurant Week!foodiesVIPDined on 8/13/2014We visited during restaurant week and were so impressed by the generous meal and beautiful presentation of our delicious food!Special Features:
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2014Been here many times in the past. Service is almost superb along with great food quality. Only issue was their sushi and sashimi standards. Had lunch here twice for the last 2 weeks and noticeably differences on the the thickness of the sushi and sashimi. I'll give the sushi chef some props on his knife skills, the slices was paper thin but not for the diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, perfect prep & display!NickDined on 8/13/2014This is just a really fun place to go for a wonderful lunch or dinner. Presentation and plating and creativity are all superb. Our lunch was served with a collection of pickled vegetables and miso soup - about the only truly "traditional" part of the meal (except the pickled cucumber slices were spicy!). I had a well prepared and creative take on a burger, which was fantastic. My wife's blackened cod had superb technique (perfectly cooked) and flavor. Ambiance is modern and feels upscale. There is a long, 20+ person table that can accommodate groups. Price is a bit high, but not more than you would expect for Morimoto (or New York). Highly recommended - not your average Japanese restaurant!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Must!!!love2eatDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to Morimoto for lunch during restaurant week. The restaurant week menu was limited which is to be expected but their normal menu is also limited. However what they make and serve is Amazing!!!! The servicers were very nice and helpful witj any questions anyone had. The food was delicious. The atmosphere was very modern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedYuriDined on 8/13/2014As a Japanese, I had a lot of expectation to the food at Morimoto the Iron chef, however, it tuned out as a such disappointment. I went with my Japanese friend for a restaurant week lunch. I ordered Sashimi and my friend ordered Skirt steak. The looks itself showed they were not made by real Japanese chef. The taste was just like the so-called Japanese restaurants in Manhattan 25 years ago which I thought they were fake Japanese prepared by non-Japanese or no-professional cooks. There are so many better Japanese restaurants in Manhattan where serve REAL Japanese food. I want to tell Mr. Morimoto that "Shame on you. You are not deserved to be called the Iron chef any longer if you keep serving such fake Japanese.".
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014It was incredible, the location is good. The place has a good vibe; I loved the chairs. The only was the waiter was exactly giving us a lot of the attention; we even had to call in for more water. But the food is worth it! incredible deliciousSpecial Features:
- good servicethw1Dined on 8/12/2014Very good service :) the skirt steak was a little bit too salty sashimi combo during restaurant was nice but small amount. We like the salad :) tasted fresh. Very surprising dessert btw :) We love the coffee one and the fish tank strawberry shortcake was cute, creative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TariqDined on 8/11/2014I thought the service was extremely poor, took forever to get the food, and the intervals between one course and the next was ridiculously long. The quality and portions were not up to my expectations, overall I was not very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GlowDined on 8/10/2014All that we had eagerly anticipated--and more! In a word or three, quintessential dining experience!Special Features:
- Amazing Sushi Mealfreeeza1Dined on 8/10/2014Went there for a date night and we had an amazing time. Service was great and gave us some recommendations but we just ended up choosing off the menu. Had a Waygu beef tartare with hot oil. Which was amazing. Then we ordered sushi for 2 people and added on some a la carte rolls & sashimi. Fatty Tuna just melted in your mouth as soon as it touched my tongue. As for drinks, we ordered sake tasting where they gave you 3 different sakes. Overall it's great for small special occasion parties & date nights. One of the best sushi experiences I've had in long time but be prepare to pay out some $$ b/c it can get pricy. But I will def. go back!Special Features:
- Excellent food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014Not really our kind of place (lot of very young, chic clubbers and music/decor to match, but the service was professional and friendly, the food was superior (particularly the beef carpaccio) and the prices were reasonable. I left my credit card by accident, and they called to tell me before we were two blocks away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as I'd heard it wasE83rdStDined on 8/8/2014Went for my 50th birthday and the food and very hip ambiance lived up to what I'd heard from friends. Would definitely recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:
- WowstevelenaDined on 8/8/2014Exceeded our already unreasonably high expectations. A real chef still makes all the difference. The hamachi tartare was indescribably wonderful; the table prepared tofu dish, not something we would usually order but did on a hunch, sort of stold the show. Maybe the biggest surprise was that we had this outrageously memorable dining experience and didn't spend more than we usually would at a decent sushi place. For us, this is one of those rare cases where a famous name that has been around long enough to be tempted to rest on its laurels more than lives up to its big reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Food was great, however their service was awful. I had to wait 20 minutes for my dessert.Special Features:
- excellent sashimiraymond67Dined on 8/8/2014Nice Japanese restaurant. Fresh sashimi and sushi.Special Features:
- Perfection, every timeCarolynVIPDined on 8/8/2014We have been here before for the omakase (fabulous! so worth it) and decided to visit again recently for a quick lunch. The wagyu beef was so flavorful and everything was beautifully presented. Strawberry shortcake dessert with sesame was thoughful and unique. I would come back here again and again and again!Special Features:
- MiffyDined on 8/7/2014Very disappointed with my lunch. Sashimi were not fresh and were super tiny pieces.
- Great toastedfotofemmeDined on 8/7/2014We loved every bite. Generous portions and great presentation. Only down side was awkward service...perhaps trainees? We will be back.Special Features: