Morimoto New York
88 10th Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
Morimoto New York
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.morimotonyc.com/
- Phone: 2129898883
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH Monday - Friday 12:00pm - 2:30pm DINNER Sunday - Wednesday 5:30pm - 10:45pm Thursday - Saturday 5:30pm - 11:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Morimoto New York
Morimoto is the New York City interpretation of Executive Chef Masaharu Morimoto’s namesake Philadelphia restaurant that is co-owned with restaurateur Stephen Starr. Designed by world renowned architect Tadao Ando, the restaurant’s entrance features the world’s largest Japanese Noren curtain set against a massive façade of austere steel. Inside is an extraordinary open kitchen surrounded by a 24-seat sushi bar where diners can watch Morimoto and his chefs at work. On every level of the restaurant guests enjoy the elaborate menu where East meets West. Glass partitions create a private atmosphere between tables and a wall made of 17,000 spring water bottles add a touch of New York drama to this tranquil atmosphere. Guests have the option to dine on the top floor or congregate in the lower lounge for cocktails and snacks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Morimoto New York reviews from OpenTable diners
523 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (317)fit for foodies (306)hot spot (188)romantic (178)good for groups (132)great for lunch (112)neighborhood gem (84)vibrant bar scene (59)notable wine list (42)late-night find (35)great for brunch (21)kid-friendly (16)great for outdoor dining (13)scenic view (13)Show More
- Excellent foodNewdinerDined on 8/14/2014A group of us had lunch during restaurant week. There was a wide selection of set menus and from what we chose, the quality was uniformly excellent. Ordered some starters, of which the rock shrimp was the stand-out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moritmoto Yummy!TheDiningDivaVIPDined on 8/14/2014Everythig we ordered was deicious. Restaurant Week menu very good! Loved the sushi and shrmp. Will be back soon!Special Features:
- Memorable cuisine and settingblgwDined on 8/14/2014At a busy lunchtime. all on the menu was pleasing. A ginger and soy cod standout, beautiful, delectable. Service was attentive.Special Features:
- BuenísimoSantinoVIPDined on 8/13/2014Cada vez que estoy en Nueva York la parada obligada es Morimoto. Excelente comida y servicio.Special Features:
- Great experience!!!dtng06Dined on 8/13/2014We ordered: 1) chirashi sushi Morimoto style 2) negitoro rolls: Tuna roll Salmon roll Avocado roll 3) sea bass with tempura avocado & red bell pepper 4) side: Chinese broccoli All the dishes were fresh & delicious. However, I preferred the sea bass cooked in black been sauce with enokitake mushroom at Nobu's restaurant (on 57th Street, NYC) better because it seemed a bit more refined (less salted & of lighter version, to my taste.) I loved the relaxed convivial ambience due to the close proximity of other tables... (My son ordered the tofu cheese cake for dessert after seeing it being served at the nearby table and we savored it!!! Great experience overall. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchtpsoinosVIPDined on 8/13/2014I have been to this restaurant several times for dinner and today was my first time for lunch. My husband and I both tried the Restaurant Week special black cod and skirt state and they were out of this world. Came with a great hijiki salad and a great miso soup as well as a surprising good green salad - simple with a hint of kabosu vinaigrette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you Restaurant Week!foodiesVIPDined on 8/13/2014We visited during restaurant week and were so impressed by the generous meal and beautiful presentation of our delicious food!Special Features:
- LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/13/2014Been here many times in the past. Service is almost superb along with great food quality. Only issue was their sushi and sashimi standards. Had lunch here twice for the last 2 weeks and noticeably differences on the the thickness of the sushi and sashimi. I'll give the sushi chef some props on his knife skills, the slices was paper thin but not for the diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, perfect prep & display!NickDined on 8/13/2014This is just a really fun place to go for a wonderful lunch or dinner. Presentation and plating and creativity are all superb. Our lunch was served with a collection of pickled vegetables and miso soup - about the only truly "traditional" part of the meal (except the pickled cucumber slices were spicy!). I had a well prepared and creative take on a burger, which was fantastic. My wife's blackened cod had superb technique (perfectly cooked) and flavor. Ambiance is modern and feels upscale. There is a long, 20+ person table that can accommodate groups. Price is a bit high, but not more than you would expect for Morimoto (or New York). Highly recommended - not your average Japanese restaurant!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Must!!!love2eatDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to Morimoto for lunch during restaurant week. The restaurant week menu was limited which is to be expected but their normal menu is also limited. However what they make and serve is Amazing!!!! The servicers were very nice and helpful witj any questions anyone had. The food was delicious. The atmosphere was very modern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedYuriDined on 8/13/2014As a Japanese, I had a lot of expectation to the food at Morimoto the Iron chef, however, it tuned out as a such disappointment. I went with my Japanese friend for a restaurant week lunch. I ordered Sashimi and my friend ordered Skirt steak. The looks itself showed they were not made by real Japanese chef. The taste was just like the so-called Japanese restaurants in Manhattan 25 years ago which I thought they were fake Japanese prepared by non-Japanese or no-professional cooks. There are so many better Japanese restaurants in Manhattan where serve REAL Japanese food. I want to tell Mr. Morimoto that "Shame on you. You are not deserved to be called the Iron chef any longer if you keep serving such fake Japanese.".
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014It was incredible, the location is good. The place has a good vibe; I loved the chairs. The only was the waiter was exactly giving us a lot of the attention; we even had to call in for more water. But the food is worth it! incredible deliciousSpecial Features:
- good servicethw1Dined on 8/12/2014Very good service :) the skirt steak was a little bit too salty sashimi combo during restaurant was nice but small amount. We like the salad :) tasted fresh. Very surprising dessert btw :) We love the coffee one and the fish tank strawberry shortcake was cute, creative and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TariqDined on 8/11/2014I thought the service was extremely poor, took forever to get the food, and the intervals between one course and the next was ridiculously long. The quality and portions were not up to my expectations, overall I was not very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GlowDined on 8/10/2014All that we had eagerly anticipated--and more! In a word or three, quintessential dining experience!Special Features:
- Amazing Sushi Mealfreeeza1Dined on 8/10/2014Went there for a date night and we had an amazing time. Service was great and gave us some recommendations but we just ended up choosing off the menu. Had a Waygu beef tartare with hot oil. Which was amazing. Then we ordered sushi for 2 people and added on some a la carte rolls & sashimi. Fatty Tuna just melted in your mouth as soon as it touched my tongue. As for drinks, we ordered sake tasting where they gave you 3 different sakes. Overall it's great for small special occasion parties & date nights. One of the best sushi experiences I've had in long time but be prepare to pay out some $$ b/c it can get pricy. But I will def. go back!Special Features:
- Excellent food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014Not really our kind of place (lot of very young, chic clubbers and music/decor to match, but the service was professional and friendly, the food was superior (particularly the beef carpaccio) and the prices were reasonable. I left my credit card by accident, and they called to tell me before we were two blocks away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as I'd heard it wasE83rdStDined on 8/8/2014Went for my 50th birthday and the food and very hip ambiance lived up to what I'd heard from friends. Would definitely recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:
- WowstevelenaDined on 8/8/2014Exceeded our already unreasonably high expectations. A real chef still makes all the difference. The hamachi tartare was indescribably wonderful; the table prepared tofu dish, not something we would usually order but did on a hunch, sort of stold the show. Maybe the biggest surprise was that we had this outrageously memorable dining experience and didn't spend more than we usually would at a decent sushi place. For us, this is one of those rare cases where a famous name that has been around long enough to be tempted to rest on its laurels more than lives up to its big reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/8/2014Food was great, however their service was awful. I had to wait 20 minutes for my dessert.Special Features:
- excellent sashimiraymond67Dined on 8/8/2014Nice Japanese restaurant. Fresh sashimi and sushi.Special Features:
- Perfection, every timeCarolynVIPDined on 8/8/2014We have been here before for the omakase (fabulous! so worth it) and decided to visit again recently for a quick lunch. The wagyu beef was so flavorful and everything was beautifully presented. Strawberry shortcake dessert with sesame was thoughful and unique. I would come back here again and again and again!Special Features:
- MiffyDined on 8/7/2014Very disappointed with my lunch. Sashimi were not fresh and were super tiny pieces.
- Great toastedfotofemmeDined on 8/7/2014We loved every bite. Generous portions and great presentation. Only down side was awkward service...perhaps trainees? We will be back.Special Features:
- Delicious and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Skirt Steak was amazing, as well as the multitude of sides that came with it. Brother's glass broke during the strawberry shortcake, we were granted with another. Great service. So delicious! Don't forget to check out the unreal bathroom!Special Features:
- Experience during restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014I thought that the service at Morimoto was excellent considering how busy the restaurant was during "Restaurant Week". The food overall was great. I particularly enjoyed the sushi combo. However, one of the sushi (that had a fish with skin attached) was fishy tasting. On the other hand, the rest of the sushi and the side dishes were extremely tasty. I also enjoyed the dessert, the strawberry shortcake and the coffee ice cream ( I don't remember the name). The atmosphere was very pleasant. It was modern. The feng shui was good. Overall, my experience at Morimoto was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice hereShirleyhe42Dined on 8/7/2014This was my first time to go there for a meal. I love the food there especially the steak! It was delicous and I will love to go there for that again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealFoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014went for restaurant week. the hamburger was the best my husband ever had! loved it. loved all the side dishes except the rice was not anything special. my cod was great but such as tiny tiny piece that i got 2 small forkfuls. thought i would leave hungry but the dessert was the perfect thing to fill my belly so i wasn't hungry but wasn't leaving stuffed. just right. best miso soup ever!! desserts were both great. salad was divine!!! loved the dressing and crunchy things on top- what was that dressing and crunchy things??? a must go experience but the restaurant decor i didn't love.Special Features:
- Excellentkrypt0rgDined on 8/6/2014this is my new found fav in NYC. Best sushi i've ever had.Special Features:
- IMPERATRIXDined on 8/6/2014Very trendy...noisy...not a relaxing atmosphere even though our lunch was at 2:00....I can just imagine the noise level at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT a step above the rest2hungryDined on 8/6/2014Food is good not great. Morimoto's does not distinguish itself from other restaurants. Was $200 for lunch for 3. Not worth it. Service was efficient but not friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointment!JJnyDined on 8/6/2014As a fan of iron chef, I always want to check this restaurant out. Finally made it in this restaurant week. The food was ok. First, I noticed two sesame seeds left in the soy-sauce plate from the previous dinner, and asked the waiter to change to a clean one.Two hours later, I felt a little stomach upset afterwards, had to run out of my yoga classroom to the restroom. What a embarrassment! Seriously, as a Japanese food lover, I have dinned in Japanese restaurants all over the world, this has never happened. Disappointment!
- raregrooveDined on 8/6/2014Wonderful meal. We will be coming back for my son's graduation dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodFoodieChrisDined on 8/6/2014Went for restaurant week , the food was just delicious . We were 4, and all agreed that it was very good. The cod and waygu beef was just stunning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected much moreAvoidDined on 8/6/2014First of all the wait time is way tooo long. We had to wait 30 min for a desert. Second, waiters misdelivered our order to a neighboring table.
- Nice splurge for special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/5/2014Double date with friends of ours, and we all went for the Omakase. Tartare course was incredible, my favorite by far. Sushi was very good, other courses tasty. Dessert came in 3 mini courses, a palette cleanser which was light and tasty, a raspberry tiramisu which was had a really nice balance of flavors. The table was disappointed in the last mochi piece which left a bit of a bitter taste. Would return for a special occasion but probably not often for the $800 tab.Special Features:
- Trendy & TastyfoodiegalDined on 8/5/2014Went for the first time for Tuesday dinner. Beautiful place, a bit loud for conversation though. Beef carpaccio was very nice. We didn't get the tuna tartare but the presentation of that on other tables looked amazing. Tried the geoduck clam sashimi (seasonal special) since that was on my bucket list of things to try. It was crunchy and fresh as opposed to chewy like I thought. The black cod entree was delicious but too salty. The yellowtail buri bop in a hot pot was fun to see prepared tableside, but wasn't the most dynamic dish. The side order of pea shoots was quite generous but also very salty. The two specialty cocktails (their takeoff on a french 77 and the sesame drink) were delicious. Be sure to check out the bathroom stalls too!Special Features:
- Tasty!NorwegianDined on 8/4/2014Really tasty and goodlooking food. Exellent service. But too loud Music! It was difficult to converse.Special Features:
- YikesMindyBDined on 8/4/2014I know it is Restaurant Week, but the service was awful. The waitress cleared my friends dish while I still ate. Then someone brought over dessert again while I was still eating. In the end the manager apologized and comped lunch, but I've gotten better service at places far less nice than Morimoto.
- Happy patronFoodloverDined on 8/4/2014Came here with family during restaurant week. The beef was delicious and the sushi and sashimi was so fresh. However, the cod fish is so tiny. Both the strawberry shortcake and the coffee ice-cream were great desserts. Nice decor too. Overall, we had a great experience.Special Features: