220 North Lee Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoverwood.com/
- Phone: 7035353340
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Catering: OVERWOOD is available for Catering. Please contact Joe Chapman at 703-535-3340 for more information.
A word from OVERWOOD
Located in the heart of Old Town in the historic Crilley Warehouse, OVERWOOD is a wood-fired American kitchen and bar featuring modern interpretations of traditional classics. As the name implies, our kitchen is built around hardwood-fueled cooking (grill, oven & smoker) and we will use only the freshest and finest ingredients in every dish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
OVERWOOD reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)good for groups (35)kid-friendly (28)great for lunch (27)great for brunch (27)special occasion (22)fit for foodies (16)romantic (14)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (4)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Hope it was just a bad nightWhirley09VIPDined on 3/29/2014Zack the waiter tried but got no support from the kitchen or bar. Mixed drinks diluted, wine pours short, food cold and the toast served with lasagna so hard it reminded us of a hockey puck. Menu looked great but poor implementation.
- Our Old Town Stand ByStarStrafDined on 3/28/2014We had some friend in town being tourists that finished their day on the national mall early (I was still at work) so sent them to wander King Street and enjoy the Torpedo Factory and made us reservations at Overwood. Great location, easy to explain to them how to find it, tall booths allow conversation even if crowded and wonderful food in a great assortment to please everyone. Our table enjoyed the portabella and mozzarella appetizer with some oysters and a great assortment of drinks (Cider and beer on tap, wine and mixed drinks) Entrees included seafood stew, pork chops, beef short ribs and meatloaf. And the Sorbet dessert was AWSOME. Don't forget the brussle spouts, best in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They Make Brussel Sprouts Tasty!bvDCADined on 3/27/2014How many restaurants can say that! The scallops were cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Not comfortable giving a fullOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/24/2014Not comfortable giving a full review with only one visit. I have to say that the meal was not that good. I ordered the BBQ shrimp and grits (because I am from Louisiana, and I like to try Louisiana cuisine whenever I can.) The grits were not prepared properly, and though they had some cheese which made them have a creamy texture, properly prepared grits will reach their own creaminess -- an they needed salt. The shrimp had BBQ sauce on them, and though alone they would have been fine, great flavor and good size, the BBQ flavor doesn't go with grits. A grilled or sauteed shrimp woud have been a better pairing. The onion rings were a nice touch.
- The pork ribs are the bestWildWombatDined on 3/22/2014Simply the best ribs I have ever had. They are so good that I can't bring myself to ever try anything else on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/17/2014Overwood consistently delivers on a great dining experience with delicious food at decent prices in a nice atmosphere. I always look forward to meals at Overwood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stressful DinnerNelsDined on 3/13/2014Been there 3 times since December and was disappointed this last visit. Service was spotty and the workers are not happy, it shows. We have a new waiter every time though we sit at the same table. Do they have a turnover problem? The manager wouldn't honor a coupon for a free appetizer. They don't accept Discover Card. Heavy steel chairs partially block the handicapped entrance. No one available to assist.Special Features:
- Not for BrunchKTVAVIPDined on 3/9/2014I went to Overwood for brunch. I was pleasantly surprised with the size, layout and decor of the restaurant. It made me curious about what kind of happy hour or nightlife they have. I might go back for that, but I won't be going back for brunch. I got one of the specials, the Chesapeake Frittata. It wasn't anything to write home about. The rest of my party was not impressed by their food either. It was at best average. What surprised me, was that there were absolutely no brunch drink specials. A Mimosa was $7.00. If the food isn't A+ quality, any establishment that serves brunch had better have drink specials on their Mimosas and Bloody Mary's. Overwood hit neither of the marks of a good brunch.Special Features:
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/9/2014the food was delicious and the service was great. Best part of brunch was the bloody mary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverwoodJTH1104Dined on 3/8/2014Really, really unsatisfying experience. We won't go back
- Lovely retreat!JdizzyDined on 3/1/2014Beautiful and cozy place with wonderful food and drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good findcurtDined on 2/27/2014Our son and daughter in law took us there a few years back and I found it to be a reasonable priced restaurant with very good food. I have now used it for company luncheons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Go WrongBoomerVIPDined on 2/26/2014This one of our favorites. The food is great and it simply a comfy place to go. You will find that this is mostly frequented by locals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodWanderingEaterDined on 2/23/2014Decided to go to Overwood for a birthday brunch. The staff accommodated a group of 14 people easily, plus two very young children. Our waiter was very attentive, and the food was great! Looking forward to going back and trying out the rest of their menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAjbigboy1Dined on 2/22/2014I was a little skeptical at first when I arrived realizing my group was the only blacks in the enitre resturant. But once we were seated we felt great and the food was even better. I'll definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overwood ExperienceEdrosa1961Dined on 2/22/2014Friendly staff, great food, choices for all tastes, and very clean facilities. In my opinion, the best restaurant in Old Alexandria, VA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceCherylDined on 2/22/2014Went there for my birthday, nothing too big, all we wanted was decent service and it was bad. Waiter forgot about our appetizer and brought it 3 minutes before our main course. The chips were all small fragments from the bottom of the bag. Specifically asked for a single candle in my dessert and he forgot! TerribleSpecial Features:
- Nice placeARobinsonDined on 2/21/2014Had dinner with girlfriends, for one of our girlfriends birthday. They had great wine, great dishes. The waiter was awsome, super nice and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our New Go-To SpotQuesoMcGheeDined on 2/16/2014We had dinner at Overwood recently and really enjoyed it. The menu has a wide variety and you can't beat the price. They also have a good beer and wine selection. We've been in the area for a few years and have been looking for a place just like Overwood, somewhere that is affordable, good food and great atmosphere. Definitely will be going back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines DayStephanieDined on 2/14/2014We had a wonderful meal and was able to get a booth on such a busy night (we did have a 9:15pm reservation). We were right next to the kitchen and it could be very loud at times, but it did not really interfere with the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a single reason to returnSamJNVIPDined on 2/14/2014I ordered a glass of wine first. He left & came back for food orders. My BF & I each ordered an app and a specialty entree. Time went, no wine but the apps come out. I ordered calamari, but over half the plate was fried onions w/ a tiny amt of the thickest marinara. I separated & placed all the onions on a side plate and was left w/ a very small amount of un-crispy calamari. Asked the waiter for a diff sauce. He never brought it so I used the sauce from my BF's app. He removed the half eaten apps & still no wine. I asked again & he brought it out right before dinner. I don't have space to describe how mediocre the food was but all the sides were cold and my BF's steak was overcooked. He doesn't like to complain so he wouldn't send it back.
- Good food good servicejohnwirvinDined on 2/14/2014I had much higher expectations for visiting Overwood my first time. I thought the ambience would be a little more elegant/romantic. I thought the presentation of the food would be a little more like fine dining. I thought the meme was going to be a little more excentric. It wasn't any of those things. It was very basic America dining. Kinda like a typical America steak house. However, it was good and the service was pretty good. Great wine. Go for a casual dinner or with friends. Have fun!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went there for Valentine'sMikeDined on 2/14/2014We went there for Valentine's Day. It looked like they had brought on extra staff to handle the anticipated rush but our waiter was not particularly knowledgeable about the menu. Even so we had a nice if not exceptional dinner and can see this as a good choice for groups especially when we have kids with us. The menu offers enough variety for almost anyone to find something to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overwood offers a menu ofOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Overwood offers a menu of standard beef, pork, chicken, and seafood prepared in a simpler manner but very well. If you want a tasty meal at a reasonable price in Old Towne Alexandria, Overwood is a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice TimeDininginOldTownDined on 2/14/2014A group of us went on Valentine's Day and had a really nice time. Great selection of wine and starting with the sweet potato gnocchi is a must. Good variety on the menu. Only catch is that if you want bread you have to ask for it.Special Features:
- Pleasant dining experiencePaulDined on 2/14/2014We went there for an early afternoon Valentine's day meal. It was all good. Fairly quiet, even though almost all the booths were occupied when we arrived. We've dined there before and returned because of prior positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014The food is always amazing. Service is great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local favoriteAlexandrianDined on 2/7/2014We've been dining here since it opened, and the quality of food and service has been consistently good all along. The menu is varied and there are always nightly specials. Thursday is a personal favorite for the prime rib, but any night is good. Rather than entertain friends at home, we tend to bring them to Overwood, where there is something on the menu to please everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four of us ate; all lovedBluehen66Dined on 1/29/2014Four of us ate; all loved their meal. Each had a different app and entree, all very good. Nice consistency from the kitchen.Special Features:
- I had the ahi-tuna salad.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/28/2014I had the ahi-tuna salad. The lettuce seemed like it had been doused with salad dressing for hours. The lettuce was wilted and almost all iceburg. The tuna was good.Special Features:
- Great food, casual atmospherejarmy7Dined on 1/24/2014This restaurant is off the beaten path in Old Town but that just adds to the charm of the place. Solid wine and decent beer selection - great food specials and excellent menu staples. The atmosphere is homey, casual and bright. The acoustics of the place lends to a louder atmosphere - but it adds to the life of the place. I no longer live in the DC-metro area but when I do come through town and catch up with good friends, I love this place for its easy feel off of what can be the kitschy/overstated/self important Old Town feel. Parking right around the corner (and across from Momo Sushi and Bilbo Baggins). Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findCherylDined on 1/22/2014This is a wonderful Old Town restaurant--a bit off the beaten path but with a wonderful Old Town atmosphere. The food is great and the service is always "just right". I've taken large groups there and smaller groups. You can actually hear yourself talk so it's a great place for friends to meet for lunch or dinner. The bar area is quite small so don't expect to have lots of people meet there for a drink before dinner. But the separate rooms make it a terrific place for large groups to dine together on great food. Everyone I've taken there (and there have been lots) has enjoyed the food and the ambiance. Definitely my "go to" restaurant with out-of-town guests as well as local friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little disappointedJeanfromalexandriaDined on 1/19/2014We have eater at Overwood before and always been quite satisfied. However this time we were not as pleased. It was really loud where we were seated by the kitchen. I will remember to request a quitter spot next time. We should not have ordered from The Rest. Week menu as we would have preferred lighter meals. The chicken was breaded and fried with sauce and mozz. cheese and the blackened cat fish was salty for our taste. The steak choice did look good but we do not eat red meat. We will go again, as we like Overwood but we will just be more careful in what we select.
- Okay food & service, bad atmosphereKristieHDined on 1/19/2014I've eaten here before and the food has always been decent, same with the service. When we went over the weekend, we we're say at a table right next to the restroom and it smelled like the bathroom the entire time we were eating. It was a terrible seat. The restaurant should really put a second door up for the restroom if they're planning on using that space for seating.Special Features:
- Blah food very overpricedLuvgoodeatsDined on 1/19/2014Maybe it's an Alexandria neighborhood thing, I don't know, but the place for Sunday brunch was crowded. Our food was bland, expensive and unmemorable. I had the "special" of a frittata with crab, asparagus and white cheddar. I make frittata's a lot - it's a lovely eggy dish that's baked. That's what I was expecting. Instead, their "frittata" was basically an open omelet. I couldn't believe the portion size for $13. Most expensive tiny, bland, boring, under-seasoned egg dish of my life. My friend had the quiche and it was overcooked, dry, dense and tasteless. At least she got a side of crunchy potatoes with her dish. Those were the star of both plates. Waiter was all over the place and not attentive. Won't return.
- Great night at Overwood!AlexandriafoodieDined on 1/18/2014Service was excellent and our meals exceeded expectations. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Good food but not atmosphereluvndatenightsDined on 1/18/2014My husband and I went here for a much needed date night. The food was great, I has the roast chicken and he had jambalaya(which was heavy on the pasta and light on the meats). They sat us in a back room with crying kids at every one of the tables! We thought about asking to be moved but we already ordered. We had to used a very raised voice to talk which was disappointing. We love kids, we have 2 of our own, but we paid for a babysitter hy night to have a quiet romantic night. This was not one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort and where the locals goBoomerVIPDined on 1/17/2014Great menu, the food is terrific, and it's simply cozy. We dine here often and have never been disappointed..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoy Overwood, visitOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/17/2014Always enjoy Overwood, visit every time in Alexandria. Could use some different options on the Menu!Special Features:
- Nice dinner placeSdebergerDined on 1/17/2014Foods always good service nice good experience local place old town consistent fare good bar area unique menu items good martiniSpecial Features: