220 North Lee Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theoverwood.com/
- Phone: 7035353340
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Catering: OVERWOOD is available for Catering. Please contact Joe Chapman at 703-535-3340 for more information.
A word from OVERWOOD
Located in the heart of Old Town in the historic Crilley Warehouse, OVERWOOD is a wood-fired American kitchen and bar featuring modern interpretations of traditional classics. As the name implies, our kitchen is built around hardwood-fueled cooking (grill, oven & smoker) and we will use only the freshest and finest ingredients in every dish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
OVERWOOD reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)good for groups (34)great for brunch (26)kid-friendly (26)great for lunch (24)special occasion (22)fit for foodies (18)romantic (14)great for outdoor dining (10)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (4)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Overall, a good experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/4/2010Overall, a good experience. We would go back and maybe look at the menu before we sat down for dinner so the service would be smoother. Our friends from Norway enjoyed the American cuisine.
- This is one of our favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/3/2010This is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is always delicious.
- We went for Saturday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/27/2010We went for Saturday brunch and had a wonderful experience. The food was fresh and beautifully presented. The waiter and service staff were very attentive. Highly recommend the Bluebarry Pancakes and Lump Blue Crab Bennedicts.Special Features:
- Just a great overall restaurant.NewIdeasDined on 11/26/2010Just a great overall restaurant. Glad we found it.Special Features:
- We are from New jersey butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/26/2010We are from New jersey but every time we find ourselves in the DC area, we head over to Overwood. It's a great restaurant for the family and the wood grilled vegetables and meats are outstanding.Special Features:
- Although the service was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/13/2010Although the service was very good and the salad appetizers were good, the entrees left a lot to be desired. My wife had the halibut special and the fish was ovedone. My cajun spiced rib eye steak was hardly spicy at all.
- This could be a great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/6/2010This could be a great restaurant if they paid attention to a few details. The host took us to a table he thought was open only to discover that it wasn't. The waitress took quite awhile to get drink and food orders. The menus were confusing. There was the main menu, then there was the specials menu, then there was a wine list -- not to be confused with the wine list on the main menu. We thought that was the only wine selections until after we had ordered. For the food, it was just okay. The salmon was a small sliver compared to fair portion of hanger steak that another person had. Asparagus was sort of smashed into the potatoes. Bread pudding sounded delicious, but lacked much Godiva chocolate that was the appeal.Special Features:
- A pleasant restaurant withOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/3/2010A pleasant restaurant with friendly service. The food was nicely served and plentiful but was just 'okay'. Bread was not served with the meal nor offered. I would try it again.
- excellent all the way around.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/30/2010excellent all the way around. good food, good service and nice atmosphere,Special Features:
- This restaurant has a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/29/2010This restaurant has a great neighborhood feel to it. The bar was lively and it certainly seemed like any minute someone was going to shout out a name to a newcomer. The food was good but not great. I had one of the specials of the day - short ribs, it was tough and grisly but the taste was delicious. My husband had the tomato basil soup that was the best item we had. I would go again and try something else.Special Features:
- Food was really not good (myOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/29/2010Food was really not good (my macaroni and cheese with artisinal cheese had separated into oil and cheese goop--was it reheated?). But they handled it well--did not charge me for the macaroni and cheese, and let my sister change her order to something else. Our waiter was very gracious about it. The rest of the food was adequate. Highlight was the pizza that was on the children's menu--fresh mozzerella, and a nice crust. I liked the front of the restaurant with the wooden floor. The back with the tile floor and view of the indoor shopping was not so nice. That said, it's very large, and easy to get seated. Seems like a decent neighborhood place if you're in the area, but not worth going out of your way for.Special Features:
- Standard American bar-typeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/28/2010Standard American bar-type fare. Nothing special, but a welcome respite from the tourists who refuse to venture off King Street. I went for lunch and took some out-of-town visitors who'd already been to Bilbo Baggins and wanted to try something else. Salad entrees, as I recall, were gigantic, though not necessarily the best I've had in the area. My chicken sandwich was a little dry, but still tasty. If I spent more time in Old Town, I'd go back(certainly for lunch. Can't offer a review/opinion on whether I'd go for dinner).Special Features:
- I had slightly higher hopesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2010I had slightly higher hopes for Overwood - loved the decor and the menu - but when it came down to it, they were seating/trying to serve far too many people on Saturday night, which ultimately ruined the experience.
- I made the reservations forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2010I made the reservations for a group of 10 and everyone was very pleased with it. The food was good and not too expensive, and the service was very good considering our large group on a Saturday evening.Special Features:
- My wife and I went and enjoyedAdamDined on 10/22/2010My wife and I went and enjoyed the ribs. The Godiva Chocolate Bread Pudding was amazing.Special Features:
- I have had great experiencesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/22/2010I have had great experiences at Overwood in the past and have enjoyed their food. Having recently returned to vegetarianism, I was somewhat disappointed at the limited selection.Special Features:
- The service and the food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2010The service and the food was simply wonderful! Loved the atmosphere and will dine there again when visiting the area.
- The staff at Overwood wasRoxyhoneybearVIPDined on 10/16/2010The staff at Overwood was very accommodating. We had originally made a reservation for 12 and there ended up being 16 of us; the staff was so friendly and made sure they could accommodate us. The food was very good; the menu had a decent variety (no real eclectic dishes, but a good assortment of options), which worked well since we had a large party and everyone was able to order something to their taste. If you need to find a restaurant in Old Town that can accommodate large parties I would definitely recommend Overwood!Special Features:
- Just average. Not to be recommendedJuanjoVIPDined on 10/16/2010Just average. Not to be recommended in Alexandria. There are much better places to go.
- Excellent server and wellOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/15/2010Excellent server and well made food at a reasonable price in the DC area, imagine.Special Features:
- We had a group of 10 for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/14/2010We had a group of 10 for lunch on a Friday. The restaurant was not very crowded. The food was excellent but the service was slow. One person's order of a salad wedge and Brussels sprouts came out last and was incomplete. The server explained the delay by saying that the menu was new and the kitchen was confused. Other then that, the food was very good.
- Sadly after 3 visits I willNativeDCDined on 10/14/2010Sadly after 3 visits I will not be returning.I had the vegetable lasagna, decent, comes with a "crouton" a very dry and hard piece of bread, they should just serve bread and butter! The latest visit, lunch for my best friends birthday this past Thursday. Nothing was good. my friends fish was misrepresented on the menu and came out fried whole, not flavored well assumed it would be grilled "overwood" NOT. The cheesesteak my other friend had was bland. The best item is the french fries. Service was mediocre, when she asked how our meals were and I said my friend was dissapointed, the waitress just walked away! NO comment or any offer to compensate, it was her Birthday for goodness sake.They need to take another look at their menu options
- Our group of 11 conventionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/9/2010Our group of 11 convention types from around the country had a memorable experience at the Overwood on a Saturday evening in mid-October, 2010. Great food, service and a lively dining crowd made for a great evening out in Old Town Alexandria.Special Features:
- food was ok. server was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/9/2010food was ok. server was very pleasant and friendly but seemed overwhelmed as she had tables both inside and outside so as a result service was very slow. We were dining w/friends and wanted to chat so we were very happy to be in the quiet section of the restaurant. However the section w/tv was more like a sports bar - lively and loud if that's what you were after.
- Good food though the hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/9/2010Good food though the hostess did not acknowledge our Open Table reservation and seated us in the bar area which we didn't like.Special Features:
- Our five-person adult groupOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/2/2010Our five-person adult group had a great time at OVERWOOD on a recent Sat. evening. Its location on the north end of Old Town Alex. eases the usual parking problem. We were seated immediatley at our 7PM reservation time. Our server, Liliya, brought our drinks right away even though the restaurant was packed and she was serving many other tables. At the same time she put in our appetizer order which also arrived timely. We tried the signature fried green tomatoes and mussels as our starters. The entrees we choose were crab cakes,grilled vegetable ravioli, veg. lasagna, and scallops. All were comsumed with gusto! A nice draft beer and some fancy mixed drinks are available. The ambiance was lively but not distracting. A very pleasant evening.Special Features:
- First time here. Oysters onOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/18/2010First time here. Oysters on the half shell and fried onions were yummy. Did not have too much of an appetite for a full meal this night, but the food was good and the place was not noisy. Good place to go for a nice meal and relax. Will definitely go again and try some of the other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Solid menu done very wellOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/15/2010Solid menu done very well with outstanding service.Special Features:
- Overwood is the "Cheers" ofBrunchtimeVIPDined on 9/5/2010Overwood is the "Cheers" of Old Town! What makes it so special -- in addition to always great food -- is the welcome feeling exuded by the staff. Not only are they happy to see you, whether a regular or neophyte guest, they also seem happy to be working together as a team.Special Features: