The Light Horse
715 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Light Horse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelighthorserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7035490533
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: Monday-Thursday 5:00-9:30, Friday-Sunday 12:00-9:30
Bar: Monday-Friday 4:00 PM-1:30 AM, Sat&Sun 12:00 PM-1:30 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam Stein, Lor Kats
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Upstairs bar is amenable for your office or other party; buffet and bar facilities can accommodate up to 100 persons; downstairs restaurant can accommodate a similar party by special arrangements.
- Private Party Contact: Dave Pressley 7035490533
- Entertainment: This is the place to be in Old Town for live music! The Light Horse features nightly acts Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in the upstairs bar ranging from DJs to Rock to Folk. Come check out your favorite local bands as well as some new bands we know you'll love!
A word from The Light Horse
Named after "Light Horse" Harry Lee, The Light Horse is ideally situated in the heart of Old Town Alexandria and provides a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. We offer locally-sourced, seasonal, contemporary American cuisine. Additionally, we feature affordable yet diverse wine and beer lists with samplings from all over the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Light Horse reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (12)fit for foodies (11)special occasion (8)notable wine list (7)vibrant bar scene (7)great for brunch (4)romantic (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Average overall but entrees great!watsonmpDined on 1/24/2013Dinner for Restaurant Wk. Server greeted us promptly--didnt come back for long time to take drink/dinner order. Prix fixe pricing no great deal. We realized later that price for hubbie's 3-course steak meal ($35 plus $5 upcharge for steak) including soup and dessert, was HIGHER than if he'd ordered using the menu prices. So, our overall impression was deflated by this reality. The beet salad was very good as was posole-inspired chicken soup. My scallops were nicely seared but beet puree and pasrnip puree seemed like baby food underneath the scallops--I needed more texture. My husband's steak and brussel sprouts were delicious. Our daughter enjoyed her burger & fries off pub menu.Special Features:
- Dined week night during AlexandriaOysterLoverVIPDined on 1/22/2013Dined week night during Alexandria Restaurant Week 2013, and was happy to see that the frigid January weather didn't deter customers. (Interesting Old Town Trend: a majority of tables were populated by groups of female friends enjoying Girls Night.) My date and I shared the Prix Fixe menu and LOVED IT ALL! Small Plates: Pan Seared Chicken Livers (verjus, applewood smoked bacon, crispy onions) perfectly pink at center; and Fried Dragon Creek Oysters (Horseradish cream, bacon jam & crispy banana peppers). Entrees: Pan Seared Dragon Creek Sea Scallops (parsnip puree, bacon jam, braised greens, celery relish) and East Coast Cioppino (PEI Mussels, littleneck clams, scallops & grilled fish filet in tomato-fennel sauce). Delicious!Special Features:
- Great food and ambiance.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/22/2013Great food and ambiance. This was my first visit and had a great time. Servers were very attentive!Special Features:
- Good, low key King Street optionOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/21/2013A pleasant surprise: went on a quiet Sunday night. On the outside this looks like yet another bar food focused beer and burger joint. But the downstairs restaurant serves real food - from an interesting menu that combines regional flavors and some off beat pairings. Prices reasonable (for the area); especially with their early in the week wine deal that gives sliding scale discounts - starting at 30% - off of bottles, based on the day of the week you are dining. Atmosphere a bit barren - but perhaps improves when there are more people in the joint. Waitstaff friendly, attentive and well informed.Special Features:
- Nice evening after a slow startDavandenDined on 1/21/2013My wife and I went to Light Horse on Inauguration Day, during Alexandria Restaurant Week. We had an early evening reservation, but there was only one other table in use when we arrived. Their restaurant week offering was unusual, in that we could choose any appetizer and entree from the regular menu. The beer list is quite extensive, both for bottles and draft. Our one flaw in the evening was that the waitress gave us our menus and then disappeared. We made our choices and sat drumming our fingers while we waited for someone to notice us. We finally flagged down the hostess and told her we were ready to order. After that, the service was reasonable.Special Features:
- Nice surprise in Old TownOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2013Had walked by this establishment many times, but always thought it was more of a bar than restaurant. I was more than pleasantly surprised at the food. We tried for the first time during restaurant week, and all three courses were excellent. Our party of 5 tried the scallop, cioppino, beef and pork entrees, and not a complaint among them. Figs wrapped in bacon for appetizer were a table favorite. If I had one complaint it was that there is no separation between the entrance and the front of the restaurant--it was a chilly evening and the steady stream of patrons coming and going led to constant cold drafts. But that's easily remedied by asking for a table by the back. I'd absolutely eat there again!Special Features:
- Overall we enjoyed The LightmodrockerDined on 1/18/2013Overall we enjoyed The Light Horse. The food was good and our waitress was knowledgeable, personable, and as prompt as she could be. They had no problems accommodating my sister who has special dietary needs which was appreciated. We enjoyed the fried oysters, the brisket, and the Amish Chicken but the pork tenderloin was overcooked. The downsides were: the cold air from the door kept blasting us as more and more people filed in for the bar area. They must have very good sound insulation because we could not hear the bar noise at all which was a plus. Also, I arrived after my party had been seated and was not greeted by the surly girl at the greeters desk which defeats the purpose of having a greeter.Special Features:
- My pappardelle was delicious,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/12/2013My pappardelle was delicious, and actually seemed relatively healthy with the cheese sauce on the side (it had so much flavor, it didn't need the cheese). My husband's skirt steak was also delicious and perfectly cooked. I didn't taste my cousin's brisket but he really liked it. The service was a little curt. Our server would simply leave if she thought we were taking too long to decide on something. She was either rushed or slightly rude, I couldn't tell. I was also surprised we didn't get any bread. But I can't complain because the entrees really were delicious.
- The Light Horse never failsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/12/2013The Light Horse never fails to please. Great food with a seasonally changing menu. Excellent service and a nice environment.Special Features:
- Lighthorse is a fantasticWineauxInAlexandriaVIPDined on 1/5/2013Lighthorse is a fantastic restaurant. Great menu, great food.Special Features:
- The food was good, and weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012The food was good, and we can't complain about the service; I recommend this eatery.
- Excellent casual diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012The Light Horse offers some very interesting fare that is expertly perpared. All of the dishes that we had were excellent with both the flavor and presentation. They also have a very exetensive offering of wine, cocktails and beer. There is a bar upstairs for after dinner fun if desired.Special Features:
- Had dinner on New Year's eve.TrishDined on 12/31/2012Had dinner on New Year's eve. Cozy feel with good service!Special Features:
- my first visit, i enjoyeddawnDined on 12/31/2012my first visit, i enjoyed the crabcakes, a wonderful meal. i also saw the scallops dish and will try that on my next visit. looking forward to returning.
- I looked at every restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2012I looked at every restaurant on King Street and the Light Horse had the most appealing dinner menu (we ate downstairs in the restaurant part, not the upstairs bar area). One thing I love is that you can order their wonderful side dishes as appetizers - the shallot bread pudding and the crisp brussels sprouts are a must. I would go 50 miles out of my way for the black pepper pappardelle with mushrooms and kale, and my husband was crazy about the beef brisket. Another time my sister and I had a completely vegetarian meal, which was entirely delicious. Fair wine prices and a fine beer selection.Special Features:
- The food here was fine - basicOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/14/2012The food here was fine - basic and yummy, the servers were nice, but the ambiance was bizarre. It was something like a diner with circle shaped mirrors on the wall and other circle themed elements. I'm not sure what any of that had to do with the name Lighthorse. Table clothes would have helped and would have been appropriate for the price ranges on the menu.
- Excellent food,servers need upgradeopenwaterVIPDined on 12/14/2012Excellent food, exceptional wine list. The servers need training on upscale dining--kept rushing our order and dropping by to ask how we were doing. A bit over the top; reminded me of an Olive Garden server. Also, the front desk clerk could upgrade her attire and be more friendly. Old jeans and boots are not befitting of a hostes.
- Very Tight SeatingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/23/2012Big mistake on my part... Having a date night with my wife for the first time in two-months, I looked over some reviews and chose the Light Horse. We were crammed in between other couples so tightly their conversations dominated ours. I ordered an appetizer and drinks, we paid and left as quickly as we could. I had learned all I needed about the couple on my right. We probably won't go back. The menu and the reviews met the mark, but the experience definitely didn't.
- The Non-pub pub?AlexVIPDined on 10/28/2012Was very surprised that this restaurant with a pub-like atmosphere had such an interesting and tasty menu, not settling for the standard pub fare. Bravo! Butternut squash soup with roasted apples and pumpkinseed oil: delicious. Skirt steak with crispy brussel sprouts: equally good. Pork loin with bread pudding: too much food! And the "pudding" was more of a bland stuffing. We liked it and will definitely return.
- Tried this restaurant in OldSanFranVisitorVIPDined on 10/21/2012Tried this restaurant in Old Town for Sunday brunch with people from out of town. There was a large, very loud party close by, which was annoying. The acoustics at The Light Horse are not good. The food was average; there are other better restaurants in Old Town, I'm sorry to say.
- The lights were too brightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012The lights were too bright and having the food network on the tv was very distracting, but the food was amazing and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- Could be better.thehappydinerDined on 10/20/2012We were a party of 8 and had a nice table and on time seating. Our waitress was very friendly and accommodating, as was the rest of the staff. Most of us had good but not above average dinners. Two people ordered the brisket, though, which was tough and not even chewable. One said they had to swallow pieces whole, and I don't know why they didn't send it back and get something else. I imagine the chef would have been amenable. In sum, most of us wouldn't go back. For the price range there are better options.
- Food is very good, ambienceBetzabroadVIPDined on 10/19/2012Food is very good, ambience is good, decor needs updating, and wait staff needs a tad more training. Please add something new to the menu... So we will want to return often...Special Features:
- Food was delicious...someOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2012Food was delicious...some great new ideas on preparation. We enjoyed one of the booths which gives you more privacy and the chance to catch up with each other. Our server Maggie was Awesome! Wine list very good and staff knowledgeable about the selections.Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Thursday nightWestOGDined on 10/4/2012We went for our anniversary and it was lovely. A very fun atmosphere with large tables that would make groups comfortable. The bar upstairs sounded like a great timeSpecial Features:
- Great spot in Old Town. CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2012Great spot in Old Town. Creative menu and quality "Bar Food" available in the main dinning room downstairs. Dinning room is cozy and not too loud. Service is great.Special Features:
- a rather disappointing spotDJHorkVIPDined on 9/17/2012a rather disappointing spot of a restaurant food. Probably a good bar and beer, but just some ordinary to poor bar food at high quality restaurant prices.
- Our third time dining hereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/8/2012Our third time dining here this summer and the quality of food and service continues to be excellent.Special Features:
- A new chef, perhaps?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/8/2012We first tried the Light Horse about a year ago and loved it. It became our regular neighborhood spot - especially since the staff is very accomodating to families with young children. We don't know what has changed in the last few months, but the last 2 times we ate there, the food was VERY AVERAGE. Did they get a new chef? Also, last weekend, we waited for nearly 30 minutes for our food. It took forever! Did they get a new manager? The service has always been great, and while the menu is essentially the same, the food isn't as good as it used to be...we are disappointed because we really like this place!Special Features:
- Waitress very attentive, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/5/2012Waitress very attentive, food was tasty. My dining companions considered the sauce on the Mussels appetizer and the Cioppino entre to be a bit too salty, i didn't notice an issue personally. The scallops were great!
- Really excellent food--unusualOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/2/2012Really excellent food--unusual and well presented. Would not have expected anything as good at this relatively low price point.Special Features:
- Worth a visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2012First time visit to a restaurant we've walked past for three years. Glad we tried it. The atmosphere is casual and sleek, very clean. Service is friendly and prompt. We visited on a Wednesday evening and it was busy but not full. Food was very good.Special Features:
- The staff was very accommodating.MarieDined on 8/26/2012The staff was very accommodating. Mussels and scallops were excellent as was the sorbet desert. 50% off on a bottle of wine was great. We'd come back. Our server was excellent. When we wondered aloud about what one desert was, she heard us and looked it up in the kitchen. She then returned to inform us. She also came back after the wine was delivered ad asked whether we liked it. That's a first for any restaurant I've ever been in.Special Features:
- The restaurant has a confusedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2012The restaurant has a confused identity (not for a special occasion, not casual). Also, the restaurant has a very quiet atmosphere (not for a fun Saturday night). There are certain food dishes that were outstanding and some that were not very memorable at all. Their seafood and vegetables were outstanding and very fresh! Having said that, the service is lackluster and the tables are extremely uncomfortable (the tables are much lower than the benches which makes it very uncomfortable to eat). The food was a high point but the ambiance is not at all enjoyable.Special Features:
- I was excited when I saw thehungryinnovaDined on 8/25/2012I was excited when I saw the menu, but the food itself wasn't that great. Definitely overpriced and overrated. The appetizers were decent. I had the scallops and there was was too much gazpacho on the plate, which was very 1 note. The crab salad didn't taste like crab at all and was served on a soggy baguette. They were nice enough to let us include sides in the restaurant week deal in place of desserts. The sides were decent as well.Special Features:
- The food at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2012The food at this restaurant is so incredible! We started with the crab & marscapone fritters and the bacon-wrapped, goat cheese-stuffed dates - delicious! Highly recommend the duck with the faro salad, and the crispy brussels sprouts! The waitress was quick and friendly. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- My wife and I had been meaningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2012My wife and I had been meaning to check out The Light Horse and we stopped in for dinner during Restaurant Week. It exceeded our expectations. The menu was limited, but had still excellent variety. My wife and I had different dishes and everything was very good. I had the cippolini which was excellent. On our way out we noticed that they have wine discounts throughout the week. We will definitely be back.
- Food was excellent, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2012Food was excellent, service attentive. The dining area is on the noisy side.Special Features:
- Bar upstairs with pool tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2012Bar upstairs with pool tables & TVs for the games. We ate dinner downstairs & it was great. Vegetarian selection. Quiet even with the bar--although we did come around 630. Easy to miss store front, but definately come in.Special Features:
- Loved the service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012Loved the service and food was really good and we'll definitely be back. I just wish they had a bit more space in between tables for two.