The Light Horse
715 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Light Horse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thelighthorserestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7035490533
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: Monday-Thursday 5:00-9:30, Friday-Sunday 12:00-9:30
Bar: Monday-Friday 4:00 PM-1:30 AM, Sat&Sun 12:00 PM-1:30 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam Stein, Lor Kats
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Upstairs bar is amenable for your office or other party; buffet and bar facilities can accommodate up to 100 persons; downstairs restaurant can accommodate a similar party by special arrangements.
- Private Party Contact: Dave Pressley 7035490533
- Entertainment: This is the place to be in Old Town for live music! The Light Horse features nightly acts Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights in the upstairs bar ranging from DJs to Rock to Folk. Come check out your favorite local bands as well as some new bands we know you'll love!
A word from The Light Horse
Named after "Light Horse" Harry Lee, The Light Horse is ideally situated in the heart of Old Town Alexandria and provides a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. We offer locally-sourced, seasonal, contemporary American cuisine. Additionally, we feature affordable yet diverse wine and beer lists with samplings from all over the world.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Light Horse reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (14)good for groups (12)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (8)special occasion (7)great for brunch (4)romantic (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Just okayLv2eatVIPDined on 10/20/2013I was hoping the crab cake sandwich was going to be great, but it was just okay. The sweet potato fries were just okay too. Management provided excellent service, I'm just not sure I would return for brunch.
- just ok!BBekDined on 9/28/2013Pork chops with grits is just not a good mix. The pork chop was good but less fancy and more american clasic style woukd be better. The seafood was very good per my date. The atmosphere was simple and plain which is alright with me.The upstairs experience is a good diversion for a short time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- simpletaterDined on 9/28/2013We wanted a nice anniversary dinner but this was more appetizers and small basic menu. Si we has a beer and delicious snacks but not dinner. Place is more appropriate as a bar or simple food rather than soecial occassion.
- Wonderful BrunchC67FVIPDined on 9/28/2013My party of 4 had the last reservations for brunch on a Saturday. All employees that we interacted with povided great service. Collectively we had the crabcake sandwich, lamb ragout & grits, the corned beef benedict, lazy deviled eggs, bacon wrapped dates, crab & marscapone fritters, tomato bisque, brussels sprouts, and garlic kale. The food was excellent. Our least favorite item was the crab fritter. It was just ok. The food was fresh and of quality ingredients. We will definitely consider coming back.Special Features:
- Hit the spot!ChrisVIPDined on 9/21/2013Went to a late afternoon concert with some friends and wanted to get an early dinner with them - this was great. Varied choices, good execution and presentation - glad we came.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The wine list was really lacking.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2013The wine list was really lacking. The main entrees were excellent, but the special was overcooked.
- "Light Weight"OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2013I will never eat at the "Light Horse" restaurant again. The food wasn't seasoned very well and it was overpriced for what you received. Our waitress was nice but clueless about one of the daily specials when my dinner partner asked her a question and also other items on menu. I can't recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Not as Nice as ExpectedElleDined on 8/3/2013We went for our anniversary dinner expecting the dining room service to be somewhat upscale, especially because of the pricey menu. Unfortunately, there was a group of about 30 women being rowdy, gossipy, and wearing party favors the night we were there. I got the impression the restaurant had not been warned how large and loud the group would be. I think they would have seperated their tables from the rest of the diners, if so. So, not all the restaurant's fault, but it pretty much ruined our evening. The waitstaff was not dressed for a nice restaurant and were very informal in their service too. The food was the only thing that saved the night, everything was delicious. But overall, I was disappointed not to get my romantic evening.Special Features:
- Well-priced, yummy casual diningMelhaDined on 8/2/2013We went to the Lighthorse with two friends from abroad as they wanted to try American cuisine. The Lighthorse menu is small but has something for everyone. We had burgers, all perfectly cooked according to our individual liking, with home-made sweet potato fries on the side, which were delicious! The side order of mustard greens was also well prepared and generous in size. Good selection of wines by the glass, everything (food and drinks) was reasonably priced (which can't be said of all the restaurants on King Street), and the service was swift, friendly and attentive. This is a good place to go for a casual meal. The ambience could be made a little more cosy by some candles on the tables perhaps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super night outCapsFan25VIPDined on 7/31/2013Proximity to so many other Old Town locations made it a great place to kick off a great evening - thanks!
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/23/2013The food was very disappointing. I will not go back.
- Very nice atmosphere,foodKatrinaDined on 6/16/2013Very nice atmosphere,food was great,so was the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy BrunchbcIsaidsoVIPDined on 6/16/2013I had a brunch with a girlfriend and was pleased with our food. I ordered the mussels and the Market Salad. The mussels were great, the salad was a great size but could have used a little more flavor (enhance the dressing perhaps?). The brunch drinks are priced nicely, they have $5 mimosas and bloody marys, but the waitress failed to mention that the specialty brunch cocktails were $6 for Sunday brunch..I had to read the fine print of the menu to find that out. If I would have known that BEFORE ordering my mimosa, I would have most definitely ordered one of the yummy looking specialty drinks. Overall, pleased and I will most likely return for one of the other cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date NightLocalAlexDiner88Dined on 6/15/2013Dinner was for two on a Saturday night @ 7:30. I had requested a quiet table when making the reservation on OpenTable, which was immediately acknowledged by the hostess when we arrived just after 7:30 (that earned me a few points from my date). We were seated at just such a table. Our waitress was attentive, engaged and knowledgeable, but did not hover. The food was prepared correct to our order and was very good. It was a lovely evening. I frequent the Light Horse more for casual solo dinners, usually taken in the bar upstairs. I was a bit concerned that the noise would be an issue since it was a Saturday night - it was not. The music upstairs didn't start until 10pm (I checked), which gave the dining room (and the diners) some peace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, great upstairs barhotelbarVIPDined on 6/8/2013We came in at 9:30 on a Saturday night for a late dinner and drinks and were one of the only tables in the place. The food was delicious - scallops cooked perfectly, mussels in a yummy sauce, surf and turf burger had great flavor and was cooked just right. The waitress was great, drinks were made well and then we went upstairs for the rest of the night, where there was a live band and a bunch of bar games. Weird crowd but overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect every timeLizinlifeDined on 6/8/2013The Light Horse is my go-to spot when my hard to please family come to town. My mother loves the seasonal fare, local ingredients and wine list; my dad raves about the food and the service - and how he can actually hear us despite being in his mid-70's and a little hard of hearing. My brother gets a steak and a great beer list. Even my cousin, who can't eat gluten, was incredibly satisfied with their selection and her meal. Their menu is small, but there is something for everyone, and it will be delicious, trust me. Plus, it's right on King Street so you can people watch as you eat, and stroll down to the Waterfront afterwards (a nice post-date walk after all of those calories).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMFoodgirlDined on 6/6/2013Enjoyed a wonderful, flavorful meal with great friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shocked & disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/3/2013We've been coming here for years, & it has always been a lovely experience. We enjoyed it so much that we raved about the food/service to many friends/family, & we've brought a lot of out-of-town guests for the delicious food/relaxed atmosphere. Sadly, I'm afraid that time is over! Our Monday night dinner was a disaster: the waitress (not one of the regulars) and the manager were confused about the menu in general & lacked basic facts to answer our questions; when we ordered a 2nd bottle of wine, it took so long that we lost interest in the wine before it arrived; the menu has shrunk past all recognition, & we were uninspired by the choices; & though my steak was incredibly tough when it arrived, it wasn't worth the bother to send it back.
- Overall pleasant experienceDeanDined on 5/17/2013We were meeting old family friends we hadn't seen in many years. Part of our party was late, but they accommodated nicely during the wait. The waitress was very friendly throughout the evening, helpful with food suggestions and there enough to be of service without hovering. There was a minor error on 1 order which she promptly corrected. The food was good, and I really enjoyed the spring vegetable hash. They also let us stay long after we finished eating to talk, even after the dining area closed. While the bar was right next door, the noise level was fine for normal conversation. Overall a nice and very accommodating experience.Special Features:
- Nice evening with familyJeffDined on 5/14/2013The light horse provided a very nice venue for an evening meal with my wife and in-laws. Good service, good food, good times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your mother's bar foodDCEmptyNesterDined on 4/27/2013What a pleasant surprise. The green gazpacho with crab was light and refreshing the Ciapinno was also delicious. Although this place is well known for the music upstairs, the food is far above the usual for a bar.Special Features:
- Average At BestDisappointedDined on 4/21/2013A little disappointed. Granted, given its location it has to reach high to stand out. This restaurant just doesn't quite make it. The service was very average. The waitress was very dull and just did the minimum. The food was very average. It was a Sunday night so maybe the "B" team was on, but unfortunately for us we won't be going back. There are just too many better places to eat in the area.
- Disappointed with the mediocre foodMetroDCDinerVIPDined on 4/20/2013We wanted to like this restaurant, but it came up short. The decor and seating arrangements are strange at best. We were seated in a half-round booth staring at the center of the room. We felt exposed. Tables would fit the space better. The brown decor was depressing. Unfortunately, the food did not help the experience. The caesar salad was wilted, the char was salty with a bready, shrimp mixuture plopped on top. The side vegetables were the highlight of the entree. Overall, the food was average and nothing worth going out for. We did apprecite the value priced wine list. I have heard the upstairs bar is fun. I'd skip the food and try that instead.
- The food was imaginative,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/17/2013The food was imaginative, well presented, and uniformly excellent. The cold gazpacho soup was very creative since it used green chiles and had a dollop of crab meat on top. They also served the largest asparagus I have ever seen. They were delicious grilled. This restaurant uses local food and it's apparent from the size and taste of the vegetables. I highly recommend this restaurant for people who enjoy fresh local food that is well prepared and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- my first time and it was adrudolVIPDined on 4/14/2013my first time and it was a real treat..would definitely recommendSpecial Features:
- Friendly spot for Friday fun!GrinagainVIPDined on 4/5/2013Fun, friendly place for dinner. We ordered and shared several small plates - there was something for everyone to enjoy! The server and hostess were helpful, funny, and eager to please. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Better bar than restaurant?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/5/2013The decor of the downstairs restaurant needs to be refreshed. The wait staff was more caring than well trained, but that goes a long way. Very disappointing starters. Squash soup with apple had a consistency closer to apple sauce and an overpowering cider taste. The mussels came in a nice sauce, but they were scrawny, uneven, seriously overcooked to the point of mushy. Fried oysters with hot banana peppers had too much breading and few whole oysters. By contrast, the entrees were quite good - a nicely cooked pork chop and a tasty game hen. A side dish of grilled brussels sprouts was delicious. This place may be better known for its bar upstairs -- I can see why.
- Burger under done. HollaindayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013Burger under done. Hollainday sauce ice cold like it was premade. Took 45 minutes for food service when not busy. Waitress was extremely nice!
- Soup was not good. DeviledOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/27/2013Soup was not good. Deviled eggs were not worth it. Dates wrapped in bacon were AMAZING
- I really like this restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/8/2013I really like this restaurant, and the food is delicious. My only request is that they expand their menu somewhat. Brussel sprouts always seem to be on the menu and I think they need a couple of more "sure to please" dishes. Maybe one mainstream chicken dish, one filet (not steak), one shrimp or crabcake dish..... The scallops are delicious, the "catch of the day" is always delicious. The food is really top tier. I struggle to choose things on the menu though because I don't like pork; I find steak too chewy, so I like filet better; I don't like game hens or dark meat poultry. I do love local in-season food, but expand the menu to be a little more mainstream.... The on the whole...this is a gem and well done!Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2013Our server was great! She made the evening, small menu and a bit pricey BUT good cocktails!Special Features:
- Great for a dateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2013Loved how quiet and calm the lower level was when we went in for dinner. My husband and I both loved what we ordered (roasted acorn squash for me, game hen for him). I thought the goat cheesecake dessert was not great, but my husband loved it. Friendly, quick staff who know the menu. They've taken down all of the tackier decorations that were always out of place, and now it has a quiet charm. It's ideal for a calm date night if you want to actually speak to your date and enjoy each other's company. And the brunch is slammin'!Special Features:
- Thank you for working with us.DamoDined on 2/26/2013This was a last minute choice for a group of company people coming in from out of town The arrival of their plane from New York was delayed for 1:20 minutes and our group of 11 turned into a group of 8 Both changes were taken taken in stride by the Light Horse and it made for a great nightSpecial Features:
- Quiet but great food-OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/25/2013It was very quiet when we arrived, we were the only table there but we had very early reservations (5:30pm) so that is no doubt why is was so slow. Our waitress was so incredibly nice and even the hostess was friendly (took our pic when she saw we were trying to do it ourselves). The tomato bisque soup was really flavorful, the mussels were cooked perfectly and had great flavor. Try the roasted acorn squash entree, seriously delicious!! This place has something for everyone. Didn't make it upstairs to the bar area as we were just in and out for dinner, but we would love to go back and check that out as well. We will be back!Special Features:
- My New Favorite RestaurantEmptyStomachDined on 2/17/2013Going out to dinner while on a diet can be a challenge and isn't usually much to get excited about, but the cioppino at the Light Horse has changed that forever! I could eat it every day. The service is also excellent, the wine list is great (half-price bottles on Sundays), there's a vibrant bar scene upstairs, and did I mention the cioppino??? There were also many other things on the menu that I want to sample (when I'm not dieting) so I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- The Light Horse is wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013The Light Horse is wonderful. A quiet downstairs for dining with dishes that are different but not strange. You gotta love the crispy Brussels sprouts. Good service, the staff is great. And a nice draft beer list and a good wine list. We visit semi regularly, most recently for Valentine day. Upstairs has a bar with many TV's for sports, etc.Special Features:
- I went here for Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2013I went here for Valentine's Day with two friends. We were surprised at how good the food was, especially the chicken liver appetizer. The service was excellent; and the manager came over to say "hi," which is always a plus in my book.Special Features:
- I went for the Kalik beer,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2013I went for the Kalik beer, but the food was great. Probably a little too nice for my simple tastes, but great food!Special Features:
- The restaurant uses localLMainVIPDined on 2/9/2013The restaurant uses local ingredients to make all,of their tasty menu options. The servers are very friendly, we were in on thirty minutes or so after they opened on Saturday so the staff wasn't quite awake yet but everything was great.Special Features:
- The food was poor. My meatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2013The food was poor. My meat was dry, the appetizers looked like the came out of TV dinner. The tables were too close together. The restaurant was so loud that we really couldn't have a conversation. But the staff was friendly. The food did come out promptly.