9000 E. Chaparral Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85256Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Desert Oasis / The Artichoke Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://scottsdalecc.edu/culinary
- Phone: 4804236284x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dominic O'Neill
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurants are able to accommodate private parties from 40 to 80 and reservations may be made by calling 480-423-6284.
- Private Party Contact: Marilyn Hawkes 4804236284x
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The college is located on the northeast corner of Chaparral Road and the 101 freeway. Parking is found by taking the 4th entrance into the college, taking an immediate right onto the loop road into parking lot H. Our building is Applied Science, located on the west side of that lot and entrance to the dining rooms is from the north.
The Artichoke Grill is open for lunch Tuesday through Friday, serving fabulous a la carte meals that include soups, salads, sandwiches, grill items and desserts.
The Desert Oasis dining room provides our guests outstanding five course dinners, Wednesday through Friday. Menus change weekly and can be viewed on our web site, www.scottsdalecc.edu/culinary
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
- Great DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2012All the dishes are original and many have gone through multiple tastings before they appear on the menu. The five courses have at least two options, so there is something for everyone to try. Each of the chefs proudly brings to the table a dessert that they created to entice you to choose their selection. Deciding which to choose is not easy, but it caps off the meal deliciously. As this is a culinary school, you are encouraged to give each course and your server a grade. Also, there is no alcohol served because the restaurant is located on an indian reservation, but that may change some day.Special Features:
- Disappointing...Not up toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2012Disappointing...Not up to the quality of last year...Flavors were not there...we had the Seafood Bass and the innards had not all been removed. We were disapointed that the flavored butters were not there like last year...We are not sure we will go back
- Excellent and creative food,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2012Excellent and creative food, extravagant deserts, extremely comfortable,quiet environment and wonderful value.Special Features:
- Delicious food, our student/serverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/11/2012Delicious food, our student/server was a bit nervous but it's understandable. My friend and I both had a good experience and would definitely come back for another lunch/dinner.Special Features:
- The Artichoke Grill is partOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2012The Artichoke Grill is part of the Scottsdale Community College Culinary Program. As part of the training, students prepare and serve food under Chef Instructors. The menu changes weekly and the food is excellent! They are willing and able to tweak the items on the menu to suit your taste! Desserts are absolutely scrumptous! Celebrating a special occassion, they will customize a menued dessert for you! Great place for a girls lunch, the more the merrier, also great for a businss lunch. Relaxed atmosphere and service is attentive!Special Features:
- The wait staff seemed a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2012The wait staff seemed a little unsure of things. The food was really delicious. The appetizer was not as flavorful as the rest of the food. Unfortunately because my time was limited and the service was slow I was not able to stay for dessert. I'd like to come back when I have more time to really savor the food.Special Features:
- We chose Desert Oaisis becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2012We chose Desert Oaisis because we were looking for a unique dining experience. We were not disappointed. Everything was top notch.Special Features:
- The food is always exceptional.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2012The food is always exceptional. This is truly a diamond in the desert. I loved that I get a chance to sample fine dining items without the cost. I get to try items that I normally wouldn't risk buying. Our waitress (Amber) was so knowledgeable being that they are the ones w That cook the food, she was able to give a excellent definition of each dish. The only issue that I have ever had is with the desserts. The first time I had cheesecake and it was awful. After tasting it, the chefs knew that a mistake had been made in the batter. The second time was the truffles, served after dessert during dinner, it was so hard we couldn't even cut it with a knife. Other than that, this place is wonderful. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Food was excellent. WouldOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2012Food was excellent. Would definitely recommend it to others to come try and support the students. Thank you for a wonderful lunch on campus :-)Special Features:
- don't miss this gem !!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2012This is a great way to spend an evening - It is the best value for your dollar--quiet and relaxing--no rush. Great food every time.Special Features:
- We really enjoy have a nice,KristenDined on 8/23/2012We really enjoy have a nice, slow-paced 5-course meal here several times a year, and we really enjoy seeing the students who are so proud of their creations!Special Features:
- We ate there on their firstOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2012We ate there on their first night of service for the semester. Our service was flawless and the food was delicious. Price is great, especially for a five course meal. You would never know that the food is prepared and served by student chefs.Special Features:
- good but surprisingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2012I'm pretty cheap (which normally limits me to fast food) but I thought I'd go ahead and give it a try. I have to that that if you're used to a simple diet, the dishes they serve will be a surprise. Some of it was really good and some was not so good. I'm not saying it wasn't prepared well, I'm just saying that some people won't like cheesecake made with feta cheese. However, it was still fun to try some new things. I'm definitely going back.Special Features:
- We were a group of 12.We attendedazanneVIPDined on 5/4/2012We were a group of 12.We attended the Italian buffet on May 4. The food was a poor attempt at Italian cooking. All 12 were sadly disappointed. We've gone for lunch & dinner in the past but this did not meet our expectations.
- An Awesome experience always.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2012An Awesome experience always. These students really do a great job. As good as any 5-star restaurant out there.Special Features:
- We had a delightful evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2012We had a delightful evening. This is an ideal place for a special, leisurely dining experience. It was not our first time at the Desert Oasis, but we invited friends, and they were impressed with every aspect of the evening, the cuisine, the presentation, the service, the atmosphere, the casual elegance of the evening, and the charm of the staff.Special Features:
- The Sailing Adventure ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2012The Sailing Adventure Club had a great evening at the culinary school. Two from our group had never been to your school. They were very impressed. All of us especially liked the dessert which was served at the very end. (chocolate balls)Special Features:
- Meal was excellent!! Can'tOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2012Meal was excellent!! Can't beat the price for a filling five course dinner. Presentation, seasoning, and flavor were outstanding!! Recommend the dinner menu. The lunch platters are skimpy and not worth the price. Not for children. Ambiance and menu choices are for adults to enjoy.Special Features:
- A great discoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2012I think the Artichoke Grill is EXCELLENT and I now go there as often as I can. I have started to invite people there when I have lunch meetings so more people will know about it. Everyone I bring has nice things to say. The food is always great (very rarely is there a blip) and the prices are fabulous. The manager is super nice and always makes sure things have gone well. The chicken wellington, the vegetables with potatoes, and the hot and cold peach soup are among my favorites. All the deserts are JUST FABULOUS! I wish the hours were longer ... say 11:00 to 1:00.Special Features:
- Super restaurantJayJayDined on 4/11/2012Excellent experience, the table is beautifully set. You get the feeling that you are in a 5-star restaurant. The students do a great job on food preparation and presentation. I wish more restaurants would train their staff at this institute. The food is delivered properly and plates removed correctly.Special Features:
- We enjoy dining at this culinaryFranDined on 4/6/2012We enjoy dining at this culinary arts school restaurant as we try new foods, with almost always a good result. This year the portions even seemed larger, as we all went home quite full and happy. Note that alcohol is not served here.Special Features:
- Best Value in the ValleyJonnybegoodeDined on 3/22/2012Food beautifully artistic and very good. The service was excellent accompanied with a professional ambiance. This was such an exceptional experience and at a fantastic price! Best kept secret in the Valley.Special Features:
- We weren't sure what to expectOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/29/2012We weren't sure what to expect but were pleasantly surprised. We all ordered different things so we could try it all and honestly, every course was very good and the presentation of each course was beautiful. My favorite course was the red and yellow pepper soup...the best I've had in a long time as far as soups. The beans in the pork dish we're the only unpleasant part of all the courses. The beans were under cooked but the rest was great. Service was very pleasant and knowledgable.Special Features:
- nice effort by the students @ SCC.marlsDined on 2/23/2012enjoyed our experience at the Desert Oasis. Our meals were good for the most part. Service was uneven, but the courses came in good succession. My red snapper was excellent and I really liked the caesar salad. However,my dinner partner was less enthusiastic about his meal. We might return for another go around.Special Features:
- Wonderfull place to bringOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2012Wonderfull place to bring family to reconnect and enjoy beautifully prepared food in a warm and inviting atmosphere.Special Features:
- My rating is based on whatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/17/2012My rating is based on what it is ... students preparing food. I think the value is good and everything was very good until we got to the desert. It was ok but not great. Still I would recommend going for the experience.
- This place is ALWAYS good,RoylDined on 2/16/2012This place is ALWAYS good, but the menu on this visit was outstanding. Of course the servers and chefs are delightful. We had out-of-towners with us who were there for the first time...they LOVED it.Special Features:
- Delicious cinnamon roll toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2012Delicious cinnamon roll to start. Please make some vegan options besides the lettuce rolls.Special Features:
- WE have been going to theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/10/2012WE have been going to the Artichoke Grill for years. Our February 10th food experience was the best ever. Well presented and incredibly delicious! Our server tended to get plates mixed up which detracted a little from the overall excellent experience.Our guest were surprised with the overall quality as this was their first visit. I am sure they will be back, as we will.
- Support the StudentsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/10/2012Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes it's not quite, but it's always a good value. And, of course, by dining here you're helping launch the careers of the next generation of chefs.Special Features:
- I love to bring people toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2012I love to bring people to eat at the Grill who have not been there before. They are always charmed and delights and wanting to come back again.Special Features:
- disappointedTexmexVIPDined on 2/7/2012Waitress was not well acquainted with the menu, very tentative, and not well prepared. The Thail Noodle Salad was bland and the shrimp over cooked. Macaroons were tasty, but the ice cream arrived melted and swimming in the plate. Not the experience we had had in he past. Very disappointing especially since I brought out of town guests!
- What an awesome experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/3/2012What an awesome experience. The food was oustanding, every course, from appetizer to dessert. A very special experienceSpecial Features:
- This is a teaching restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/3/2012This is a teaching restaurant and the staff are students who are in a culinary arts program at Scttsdale Community College where the Desert Oasis is located. A highlight of the dining experience is when the advanced students parade their dessert offerings among the tables and diners get to hear their stories and choose their favorites.Special Features:
- We have enjoyed the dinnersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/2/2012We have enjoyed the dinners at your restaurant during our vacation stay in Arizona for the past three years. The food is always excellent, the service we received was outstanding, and the value cannot be beat. We are hoping to come back again before we leave Arizona.Special Features:
- Sweet MemoriesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2012Food was great, server forgot to take one persons order; but the rest of the service was great, and is always nice to see the amazing job the Chefs are doing with the students.The dessert was out of this world.Special Features:
- We've been a few times andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2012We've been a few times and had a wonderful experience each time. The staff is very accommodating and friendly. We'll be back again..it's our "special dinner" we have once or twice a year.Special Features:
- I enjoy bringing friends toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2012I enjoy bringing friends to lunch because of the food and the fact that future chefs are being trained.Special Features:
- Delicious Christmas BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/9/2011This visit was the night of the Christmas Buffet. Lots of good choices: pear wrapped in shaved ham, pistachio-crusted lamb chops, other salad, starch and meat items, even a carving station. Oh, and a bunch of tasty desserts. All prepared and served by the students. Definitely a must-do if you can get a reservation (book early).Special Features:
- Chow by Students, Not Student Chow!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/2/2011Food-wise, perfection. Service-wise, so-so, which is unusual; normally it's very good. The curry sampler, pompano chili relleno were outstanding. The sandwich trio was pretty good, too. It's all done by the students, and it's a bargain. We eat here as often as our schedules permit.Special Features: