9000 E. Chaparral Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85256Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Desert Oasis / The Artichoke Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://scottsdalecc.edu/culinary
- Phone: 4804236284x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dominic O'Neill
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurants are able to accommodate private parties from 40 to 80 and reservations may be made by calling 480-423-6284.
- Private Party Contact: Marilyn Hawkes 4804236284x
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The college is located on the northeast corner of Chaparral Road and the 101 freeway. Parking is found by taking the 4th entrance into the college, taking an immediate right onto the loop road into parking lot H. Our building is Applied Science, located on the west side of that lot and entrance to the dining rooms is from the north.
The Artichoke Grill is open for lunch Tuesday through Friday, serving fabulous a la carte meals that include soups, salads, sandwiches, grill items and desserts.
The Desert Oasis dining room provides our guests outstanding five course dinners, Wednesday through Friday. Menus change weekly and can be viewed on our web site, www.scottsdalecc.edu/culinary
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
- servicedon023Dined on 9/26/2013The service and food were top quality with everything being prepared by culinary students.donSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved the food, servicedrpaulDined on 9/6/2013We loved the food, service and atmosphere. We are returning as much as we can.Special Features:
- Delicious and RefreshingPleaseDined on 9/6/2013I invited my neighbors to have lunch, this was their first time. They enjoyed the lunch especially the french portions (small). The elegance of the plating was very tastefully done. the service was very good and I know that we will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's good to know the menu.Foodie2ShoesDined on 9/5/2013The Artichoke Grill is Scottsdale Community College's best kept secret. The menu is enticing and the presentation exquisite. For a special treat, try the salad of the house (changes daily). An affordable lunch alternative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- culinary simplicitylavstoeatDined on 9/4/2013NGood food, good service and nice location. The culinary school running the restaurant gives diners an inside look on how a restaurant is run. Expect the servers to be unsure and timid since they are still learning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic Regional BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2013The buffet was arranged by regions of the U.S. My favorites were the lamb lollies and the fennel slaw. The presentation of the different foods was inviting and easy to access. The student chefs were available to answer questions about ingredients and cooking and preparation methods and were proud of their creations. I hope that this will be an annual event as it was most tastey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it will be back nextCarolynqDined on 4/23/2013Loved it will be back next year ( we visit mOnth of aprilSpecial Features:
- My experience with the ArtichokeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/23/2013My experience with the Artichoke Grill was F A B U L O U S! Our hostess was a perfect addition to the wonderful lunch experience. We will be back, thank you!!Special Features:
- So much fun to dine at a culinaryNansulitaVIPDined on 4/10/2013So much fun to dine at a culinary arts restaurant. Students very attentive and eager to share their knowledge - and the food was great! Will return again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Secret in ScottsdaleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2013This is a teaching school restaurant. The food is always great but sometimes the service has "student" type issues. I have been supporting this restaurant for many years and would highly reccomend it. They give it 100% each time even with a mistake sometimes with a new class of students. The price is around $22.00 per person plus a tip. They dont offer alcohol. You get to grade the students each time so that is fun to do. Also there are four courses to each dinner. The menu rotates and is very good. This is a huge bargain and can be very entertaining. The food is always fresh and you will make friends with the staff over time. A real treat.Special Features:
- Everything was just great...willOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2013Everything was just great...will back again and again...but hard to get a reservation....NinaSpecial Features:
- 5 course dinner / examFranDined on 3/29/2013We visit yearly and always enjoy the 5 course (appetizer, salad, soup, entree, dessert) dinner. We also like interacting with, and grading, the student workers and future chefs. Fun evening.Special Features:
- Delicious food beautifullyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2013Delicious food beautifully arranged on the plate. Server was very helpful and even gave us a tour of the kitchen after our meal. Tried to make reservations for 2 weeks after our dinner and they were already all booked up. A busy place with excellent food.
- The food was very good, exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/26/2013The food was very good, except our bass was undercooked and we had to sent it back. The ambiance was very nice and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- wonderful meal, sat for 90OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2013wonderful meal, sat for 90 minutes enjoying the courses and the conversation.Special Features:
- Try it...for a fun night!adventurer4foodVIPDined on 3/21/2013It was fun to see students working with a high level of skill. The food was very good and the five courses were not too large. The overall meal was very satisfying. They asked for a donation to the culinary school rather than a tip. That is how to get the diners involved! I would return again. The menu changes and can be viewed on line...great idea. No alcohol is served but they did offer a tasty non-alcoholic beverage, called sangria.Special Features:
- The menu is extraordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2013The menu is extraordinary and prepared to perfection. I had the chili relleno and it was the best relleno I ever had. The iced tea was excellent as were the desserts. The brownie was to die for! All for an extremely reasonable price. You would never know that students prepared the food. It is a hidden gem on the Scottsdale Community College campus.Special Features:
- The presentation, deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013The presentation, delicious 5 courses from appt-dessert were outstanding!Special Features:
- We've been eating here forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/6/2013We've been eating here for almost 20 years. This past year the food has become really great! The menu has always been adventurous but the presentations are gorgeous. Particularly the desserts. Hard to get a reservation- book way in advance.
- Fair...not greatlocalsDined on 2/26/2013Food was fine and service was OK, except that they came and took our glasses and cleared silverware and dishes from table although we were still sitting there talking!!! Rather rude, but if staff is untrained in proper technique on waiting tables, then it's the fault of those folks doing the training! Have had better experiences there previously. Not sure if I'll go back--too many other great choices to be had.
- Amazing 5 star dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2013Amazing 5 star dining experience each and every time we go. I LOVE this place and especially LOVE that it is a teaching facility.Special Features:
- This was unique and the kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/8/2013This was unique and the kids were so very excited and talented.Special Features:
- Food was wonderful, serviceRoylDined on 2/7/2013Food was wonderful, service excellent. People are delightful, ambience very pleasant...quiet, cheerful. A terrific experience!Special Features:
- The students do a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013The students do a wonderful job preparing and serving the food. It's a great way to sample a variety of dishes and preparations at a VERY reasonable price. Reservation for dinner strongly encouraged.Special Features:
- The service, dining room andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/30/2013The service, dining room and food were all excellent. The hostess should be aware that she carrries a very strong odor of cigarette smoke which is not pleasant although the lady herself was. As we were having dinner it was dark which made the location very difficult to fine. We have recommended the Oasis to several friends.Special Features:
- I have dined here on threeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/25/2013I have dined here on three different occasions and each time has been wonderful. The food is delicious, beautiful presentation and each portion is just enough. The students can be commended on their culinary talents and professionalism. I love dining here but just can't seem to come out as often as I would like. Keep up the great work.Special Features:
- I enjoy the experience ofOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/24/2013I enjoy the experience of trying new foods prepared by chef students and enjoy bringing out-of-town guests as well. The students are always eager to please and proud of their offerings. This particular menu is the best I've had there.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem.. Cooking School MealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/23/2013This place is a hidden gem! There is nothing better then getting to enjoy fresh, creative, and high quality food at the same price as a Denny's stop. Yes, It is a cooking school where you get to be the benefactor af some incredible cooking. Super easy to make reservations, no crowds or lines because of the reservations and the only drawback is just trying to find it in the school area the first time. After you know where it is you are good to go. (Note: it is at the far east side of the Campus and a bit more then half way to the back of the school, you can see the round drop off parking right outside it and when we were there the trolley was stopped at the drop off). ENJOY!! Fresh breads presented with a basket when you get there!Special Features:
- Save room for......OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/16/2013A word of warning: Besides the great food. They have the best bread basket and the most elegent and delicious deserts. Save room for them and bring a camera.Special Features:
- Thumbs down on Buffett!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012We were at the Christmas Buffett and were very disapointed with the food, we have been here many times before and were very impressed but the buffett was not one of them, the food was hardly warm and you had no idea what it was you were eating and all put on the same plate made it impossible to taste any of it.
- We introduced the venue toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/29/2012We introduced the venue to to new couples. They enjoyed it. Our server was not very knowledgeable. We had questions that she did not know the answers to.
- fun for your taste budsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/29/2012They always have an interesting blend of foods (you get the whole meal - not just the parts you want). Some are amazing and some aren't - not because they're not prepared well but because they don't agree with my palette. That said, it's a lot of fun to go there and I would recommend it to anybody.Special Features:
- Loved the energy of this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2012Loved the energy of this place run entirely by SCC culinary students. I never knew this was open to the public until recently and I am so happy that it is! It's cute and intimate inside and the food is top notch, while the prices are so affordable. Great job!Special Features:
- The experience was a 10! VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012The experience was a 10! Very relaxed and appropriate amount of food.Special Features:
- Artichoke Grille - outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2012The Artichoke Grille is on the east end of the Scottsdale Community College campus and shares the same building as the Desert Oasis. It has limited hours and reservations are highly recommended since they may or may not be open certain days. The Grille is operated by SCC students in the Culinary Arts program; students that couldn't afford the steep tuition at the nearby Scottsdale Culinary Institute. However, the quality of food and service is exceptional! The students are motivated and guided by an enthusiastic faculty. Careful attention is made to presentation and details, with delightful sauces and superb desserts! The value is excellent as no entre is over $7.25 but be sure to tip generously to help the students and the program out.Special Features:
- It is a high-class establishmentJonnybegoodeDined on 10/24/2012It is a high-class establishment very reasonably prices. You will be served by "students" striving for a culinary degree or certificate. This Culinary Arts program has all excellent instructors, chefs and a top notch professor guiding and teaching. The food and service were excellent. It is an positive "experience" one will remember.Special Features:
- We are regular customers.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2012We are regular customers. Both the food and the service are erratic as the cooks/servers are students. But the menu is always interesting. It rotates every six weeks. This night the food quality was good. We had to send one course back becasuse it was cold but they are very agreeable about sending things back for any reason. Tjen at the end of the meal you get to rate the food and service. Now that they are using Open Table it is harder than ever to get a reservation but at least you can do it any time of day.Special Features:
- Artichoke GrilleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2012I have been absolutely thrilled with the Artichoke Grille at SCC. The Students provide great service and top-notch food. The dining room is spotless. They do change things up a little from time-to-time but that adds to the experience. The value is incredible! But I recommend tipping generously to aid the students and the program at SCC.Special Features:
- Great house salad. Entree'OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2012Great house salad. Entree' was excellent and can't complain about the dessert choices.Special Features:
- I love this place. Quite theOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/3/2012I love this place. Quite the experience every timeSpecial Features: