R Gang Eatery
3683 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
R Gang Eatery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rgangeatery.com/
- Phone: 6196772845x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Tuesday - Thursday: 10:00am - 3:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday 3:00pm - closing, Wednesday - Friday 3:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Sweeney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Chef Rich Sweeney tailor a customized menu to meet the needs of your next event of 20 or 200!
- Private Party Facilities: The second floor at R Gang Eatery is perfect for a private event / party space. The large room carries over the FUN atmosphere, with an emphasis on good food and drinks with friends. Please contact Gaby at Gaby@RGangEatery.com
- Private Party Contact: Gaby 6196772845x
A word from R Gang Eatery
Born from an idea that great food can be gourmet without being pretentious, and eating it should always be fun, R Gang is changing the fine dining dynamic with food & fun. We believe that what you put in your mouth is just as important as what comes out "oooohs, ahhhs, yums" and big belly laughs included.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
R Gang Eatery reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (7)neighborhood gem (7)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (4)late-night find (3)special occasion (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- This One is a KeeperDeeSueDined on 10/19/2012A great neighborhood hang out! Mid-week is great if your looking for something quiet, but on the weekends the vibe is energetic, with great tunes and always a great menu, plus the wait staff is friendly and knowledgeable with menu suggestions and they take good care of their patrons. They have a great beverage selection from the bar, with lots of choices. You will not find California "lean cuisine" at R Gang Eatery. It is comfort food at it's best, twisted around a bit - it fills your belly and warms your heart. Kudos to the Chef and his crew, they do a great job! This one is a keeper! I guarantee you'll be back after you try it once.Special Features:
- Not very pleasedRomaticVIPDined on 10/13/2012I was so excited to give Rich Sweeney's restaurant a try. The ambiance for brunch on the patio was great. Our service was terrible. It took over 2 hours for brunch. We had 3 small children with us and I feel like our server was a kid hater. We had to ask more than one person for a booster seat, had ask to have additional service items added to so everyone had a napkin and a fork. Then, the food. Our guest of honor was pleased with his breakfast sandwich, but it ended there. The chicken on the salad (2 ordered) was dry.
- My girlfriend and I had brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2012My girlfriend and I had brunch here. She had the Carrot Cake Waffles and I had the Captain Crunch French Toast. Her waffles were superb and my french toast was pretty delicious. The staff was super friendly and service was quick.Special Features:
- We love going for happy hour!ElizabethVIPDined on 9/18/2012We love going for happy hour! The drinks and small plates are super affordable and fill you right up!Special Features:
- Tasty bloody Mary's and totsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012Tasty bloody Mary's and tots but the rest of the food is pretty average. Not bad at all just nothing special.
- A great meal on the patiobbggDined on 9/14/2012The tater tots are the best. We brought some out of town friends (who are Foodies) from SF. And they loved it. We ate outside on a beautiful night and had a great time. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Love going and having thatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/12/2012Love going and having that tots, Love them and the flavor of the dishes are awesome. I take my yearly meeting with my boss and my team there and always have a great time.Special Features:
- Excellent food! My mouth andAmandaCVIPDined on 9/8/2012Excellent food! My mouth and tummy were very happy after this meal! I would recommend doing the small plates so you can enjoy multiple dishes but the main dishes looked just as yummy. Highly recommend the ahi tacos...I could of just ate that and been good for the whole night. Lots of good drinks on the menu. It's been a while since I've gone to a place to eat and had so many choices to choose from that I ordered it all and still want to go back for another meal.Special Features:
- Trying too hardRichDined on 8/18/2012We sampled a selection of basic staples from the R Gang menu -- pickle tater tots, chicken & dumplings, and meatloaf. Overall, we were disappointed with each. The signature tater tots that promised an infusion of unique flavors were fairly bland and didn't live up to the promise. Our chicken & dumplings suffered from too much sauce and seasonings that destroyed the basic goodness of this dish. Finally, there was the too-dry meatloaf that was overly seasoned and tried too hard to be something complex that meatloaf was never intended to be. This was our first time, but we'll probably not be back for a while to try again.
- Awesome, awesome food. DefinitelyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2012Awesome, awesome food. Definitely get the the tots.Special Features:
- The food was tasteless andOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/18/2012The food was tasteless and cold. I had the steak sandy. The meat was cold and the onion ring on top was soggy. The side salad had no dressing that I could taste. The other person in my party had a burger. It was also not very tasty. We filled up on the fries that were the saving grace. The whole thing was kind of greasy. Very nice wait staff and service. No air conditioning inside on a hot day!
- Jalapeno Popper Tots weremlhunt4nufoodDined on 8/12/2012Jalapeno Popper Tots were awesome! Cap'n Krunch crusted french toast was great, too!Special Features:
- The staff is really nice andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/11/2012The staff is really nice and attentive. Great local place with good food.Special Features:
- Childhood favorites givenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2012Childhood favorites given an adult remake; hard to find anything "healthy" on the menu; would be good for a late night snack; I'd like to try their brunch.Special Features:
- Tuesday's Happy Hour fromOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2012Tuesday's Happy Hour from 3:PM til closing means $4 and $5 appetizers - the two of us ordered five different ones and feasted on the yummy variety! With a water and diet soda, the total was less than $30. Awesome!Special Features:
- Great HospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2012This was my first time here, I'm a San Diego native and knew I had to eat here. It was really good, the chef came out and said hello and he greeted every table and spoke to everyone as if we were house guests.Special Features:
- Food was great! RichardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2012Food was great! Richard the owner greeted us, and Amy our server was all over us!!! Great service!Special Features:
- Been here tons of times.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2012Been here tons of times. Brunch is always killer. Service is usually spot on, this time was a one off. We had reservations, we were seated and took 20 min to place our order, literally 45-55 to get our food. Mine was wrong. They fixed it within 5-10 minutes. Wasnt thrilled. Like I said, I think this was a one off. This place usually is the.best. I will definitely be back. I hope they get back on track with the service.Special Features:
- Great brunch place that typicallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/30/2012Great brunch place that typically has a shorter wait than everything else in the area.Special Features:
- Fun mash ups of flavors.BRKFVIPDined on 6/16/2012Fun mash ups of flavors. Not a pure dining experience but definitely an experience. We had a great time and will come back.Special Features:
- Fun, Unique Food in HillcrestSanDiegoManVIPDined on 6/15/2012Great food. Very unique items on the menu. The meatloaf was outstanding, as was my arugula salad. Service was excellent. Restaurant was pretty loud, and this was early on a Friday night (6:30). Cocktails were interesting, but turned out to be not my style. Theme of the restaurant is sorta "fun food". So they took that theme into the cocktails, and many of them used Sierra Mist as a mixer (again the idea is fun like when you were a kid, "R Gang" get it?). Not my thing though. Too sweet. BUT, they were very well done cocktails and if that is your thing, you might like these. Our waiter took REALLY good care of us with a smile to our multiple requests for special attention and changes to our orders.Special Features:
- Yummy brunch in HillcrestOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/28/2012The host was adorable and did well to suggest menu items. While the patio was under construction, it did not affect our experience at all. The egg dishes could have easily been split. We did not try any alcoholic beverages, but they sure looked good! We would definitely return.Special Features:
- Went on Memorial Day for brunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/28/2012Went on Memorial Day for brunch. The food was really good. Our server Amy was awesome. I would go back again any time.Special Features:
- Awesome variety of yummy uniquefoodieDined on 5/27/2012Awesome variety of yummy unique dishes and cocktails.Special Features:
- Bit expensive but worth it.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2012Bit expensive but worth it. Amazing home made tater tots!Special Features:
- We had a great time, The foodEC45Dined on 5/22/2012We had a great time, The food is fantastic. Our next visit will be to try the breakfast.Special Features:
- "World-Famous Tots"ElizabethVIPDined on 5/18/2012We had heard about the "World-Famous Tots" and live in the neighborhood, so walked over for dinner. We sampled both mixed drinks and small plates. The tots were delicious, as were the chicken skewers, "zuchetta", pork belly, and ahi tacos. Our waitress was super attentive and helpful with excellent recommendations. Looking forward to their front patio being complete (currently under construction).Special Features:
- The food was absolutely fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012The food was absolutely fabulous! Very tasty and my 18 yo son said his burger was amazing! The best he had ever had! The chicken and dumplings was the best I had ever had! Yum!Special Features:
- The brunch french toast, strawberryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2012The brunch french toast, strawberry and peach were dry and rather tasteless. the mexican offerings seemed to be more interested in how hot they could be rather then taste. I had also expected more on the egge offerings.
- The tots are awesome! I alsoFgoldieDined on 5/6/2012The tots are awesome! I also ordered the chicken and waffles which was good. If you're looking for Roscoe's type good and greasy, don't order the chicken and waffles here. R Gang's version of chicken and waffles uses chicken breast strips and a light batter. It's not that it's bad, but if you want the stick to your ribs, traditional chicken and waffles make the drive to get the real deal.Special Features:
- At first I couldn't find ROpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/5/2012At first I couldn't find R Gang due to all the construction out front (May 5th) but the food was outstanding! Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and offered some great choices. The service was a bit slow, but worth the wait.Special Features:
- Food was very dry and bland.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/5/2012Food was very dry and bland. Meat had grizzle. Fries were dried out. Server was very nice and provided good service though.
- The French Toast was slightlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/29/2012The French Toast was slightly soggy and undercooked. Needed more ricotta filling in the middle as well. Chorizo scramble was good but not amazing. Buffalo tots were very delicious.
- R Gang Eatery was one of theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2012R Gang Eatery was one of the first restaurants listed as supporting the "Dining Out!" fundraiser months ago, so we booked our reservation the same day. A day or two before the night we got a nice reminder phone call about our reservation (which I thought was a nice touch). Everyone was very friendly and the service was excellent. Our host mentioned that in addition to the restaurant donating all food proceeds to the AIDS research charity all the service staff had also agreed to donate ALL of their wages! They were working only for tips, but the atmosphere was festive and everyone seemed to be having a great time. Special mention: the gourmet hand-made tater-tots and the risotto with medjool dates and thinly sliced portobello mushrooms!Special Features:
- I have to be honest-- I reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2012I have to be honest-- I really like this place, and it's a place where I've been proud to take friends. But as much as I hate to say this, I just didn't have a good experience taking my friend there for Dining Out For Life. Our appetizer, salad and entree arrived nearly simultaneously, and my chicken was overcooked and my potatoes were as well. If it hadn't been a special occasion for a good cause, I would not have accepted all the food at the same time, and I would have sent my entree back. I'll go back-- I know that the place is usually better than this, but I doubt my friend will.
- Rich, Chris, Terrance andDineOBitesDined on 4/26/2012Rich, Chris, Terrance and Joe were all fabulous! Thanks for making the night fun and the food enjoyable. It was a pleasure to DINE OUT FOR LIFE with you again this year.Special Features:
- An different experienceLive2dineVIPDined on 4/21/2012Went with a group for an early dinner. Menu had a variety of small plates up to a full meal. Two friend order the mac n cheese, which they said was okay. One enjoyed their tacos and the other loved her salad. I had the french onion soup...disappointing. I also ordered the chicken and dumplings. Incredibly rich sauce and the dumpling tasted like stuffing with an unusual spice. My other friend ordered the steak which included a corn side. It looked very tasty. I think she enjoyed it. For me, it was an experience I'm glad I tried. Not sure if I'll return.Special Features:
- R Gang Rocks!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2012I really love this place! The menu and service are outstanding! They are also very accommodating if you require a gluten free alternative. This is now my wife and I's new regular spot!Special Features:
- Menu cycle is good, and theyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2012Menu cycle is good, and they continue to keep my favorite item on the menu, the bone marrow!Special Features:
- Go with a group!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/14/2012The food was good, not quite what I expected. I tink it was just a bit over-done. For example, the idea of awesome tater tots is great, but even the "regular" tots are filled with cheeses and onions. The service was really good - friendly staff. I think it would be better for a group of people rather than a date.Special Features: