Matchbox - Chinatown
713 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Chinatown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://matchboxchinatown.com/
- Phone: 2022894441
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Cliff Wharton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 7th and H Street
- Public Transit: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (Red, Green, Yellow);Metro Center (Red, Blue, Orange
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Many parking garages are available in area. We offer a discount rate for parking at the 9th and I street garage. It is located at the TechWorld building. Please bring your ticket to the restaurant for validation.
A word from Matchbox - Chinatown
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matchbox - Chinatown reviews from OpenTable diners
277 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (102)good for groups (100)neighborhood gem (97)fit for foodies (95)hot spot (83)great for brunch (46)kid-friendly (44)vibrant bar scene (39)late-night find (38)special occasion (34)great for outdoor dining (31)romantic (24)notable wine list (14)scenic view (6)Show More
- We had a 9 year old boy withKKDCDined on 3/24/2013We had a 9 year old boy with us at dinner. The waitress was amazing! She brought him pizza dough to play with while we waited for the food and then while we finished our wine the waitress took him to watch the chefs putting the pizzas in the oven. Overall a great experience! Not to mention the food was delicious as always.Special Features:
- Very dissatisfied with theFineDinerVIPDined on 3/21/2013Very dissatisfied with the food. I ordered the calamari salad that was drenched in dressing, awful. Won't go back.
- Staff CommunicationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/20/2013I left an honoree's name at the front desk as reservation was made under another name and person at the desk didn't relay that update to arriving patrons. This caused confusion unnecessarily.
- Fun Dinner before Hockey GameBrianDDined on 3/12/2013Looked on Opentable for a spot to get a casual dinner for self and three college students before a Washington Caps hockey game. Half a block from Gallery Place Metro entrance on 7th and H. A block and a half from Verizon Center. Place was great, exceeding expectations. Eclectic setting since it the building is tall and narrow, with may stairs and many different seaing areas. Service was excellent. Appetizers were delicioous (the sliders are a meal in themselves.) Artisan pizza was very good too. I was concerned about getting in and out in an hour, but we did it comfortably and the staff was geared up for pre-game fans. We will definitely return for our annual hockey outing.Special Features:
- MehbourboninfusedDined on 3/10/2013I'd heard good things about the brunch here, WaPo even has them on a top brunch list. Although the food was good, it was run of the mill in terms of quality and novelty. Not bad, just nothing exceptional. Our service was friendly and attentive, but didn't seem to get the hint that "less was more" in this situation and getting us set up, then leaving us alone would have gotten a bigger tip than interrupting our conversation every 5 minutes. Again, nothing bad, but to be credited as one of the best brunch places in DC seems like a stretch.Special Features:
- Try the banana bread french toast!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/3/2013We had an early brunch on a cold Sunday morning - restaurant was kinda quiet at 10:30 am but had picked up by the time we left. I had the huevos rancheros which was really good and my friend had the banana bread french toast which was delicious! I kept stealing bites off her plate it was soooo yummy. Server was attentive and the food was good - would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Pizza is great... AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/26/2013Pizza is great... Atmosphere is pretty good. Great place to go before a game.Special Features:
- I'm really not sure what everyone'sFoodie8627309VIPDined on 2/25/2013I'm really not sure what everyone's raving about. It was good, but not that good. It's sort of a slightly better California Pizza Kitchen. Maybe I just ordered the wrong stuff.
- Just OKNJAKA1994VIPDined on 2/21/2013The pizza was decent but a little (a lot actually) over priced.Special Features:
- Went with a group of 8 - severalphreddieDined on 2/15/2013Went with a group of 8 - several had the specialty pizzas- which were excellent - while my wife loved the crab-cake sandwich! I had the Salmon which was also very good and cooked to my specification. One of the party member asked for a substitution which was honored with no push back at all. Overall the experience was Very Good to Excellent! Will definitely go back when in DC.Special Features:
- Average at bestSilverWk2VIPDined on 2/14/2013Food was good nothing really special just average. Tuna tar tar was probably the best thing we had there. The pizza crust wasn't crisp for a thin crust and the sandwich was kinda bland. Service was a bit slow towards the end but the server was personable. The Bloody Mary lacked any sort of heat it was just salty.Special Features:
- All in all we had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2013All in all we had a great experience. The service was slow, but as usual Matchbox was super busy so I guess that is to be expected. The food was worth the trip!Special Features:
- great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/10/2013went around brunch time on a sunday....had the bloody mary burger and it was DELICIOUS. was kind of surprised that there were some families there with smaller children, but they weren't overly loud or anything. also had the matchbox mimosa which was quite delicious and quite strong. would definitely recommend for pretty much anybody.Special Features:
- The food for restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/5/2013The food for restaurant week for very delicious and unique. This seemed to be a fantastic spot for capitals fans to come before the game to enjoy a good meal with great options for beer and wine. Definitely will be coming back again as a regular customer without restaurant week being the pull.
- Enjoyed Matchbox for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/3/2013Enjoyed Matchbox for brunch before a Sunday afternoon at the Verizon Center. Would highly recommend the Banana Bread French Toast. Can't wait until our next visit.Special Features:
- Wonderful as always! PearOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/31/2013Wonderful as always! Pear salad and pizza. Waiter was knowledgeable, friendly, attentive, but didn't pester me and my lunch mate. We had a lot of catching up to do and this was perfect spot for relatively quick quality lunch. Noise level was perfect for conversation. Pizza is fantastic, even to me as a picky New Yorker. I had reservations but noticed walk-ins were being seated quickly. Wonderful ambience with subtle smell of wood burning fire.Special Features:
- Nice time there. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/30/2013Nice time there. Food was fine. Service was quite good. Very personable waiter.
- A group of us met at MatchboxjackmariaDined on 1/27/2013A group of us met at Matchbox on Sunday for brunch. They have a fantastic selection of bloodys and mimosas. I had a bacon bloody and it was delicious. The food was quite good as well. The only downside is that, for brunch, it's a bit pricey. Other than that, it was great.Special Features:
- Watch out for Matchbox!! Theyfood4thoughtDined on 1/24/2013Watch out for Matchbox!! They report that you haven't showed up for your OpenTable reservation even though you have and then don't reply to your explanation!!!!
- Great Brunch and Lunch menusOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/20/2013Great place in Chinatown! The actual space is very deceptive. Looking at the outside, you would never guess the interior is as big as it is. The service was very courteous, responsive, and polite. The food was very good for brunch and lunch times. Overall a great experience and I would recommend it and eat there again.Special Features:
- Three words: Bacon Caramel SauceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/13/2013I had the chicken and waffles brunch special and it was practically a religious experience. The chicken was tender and juicy and the coating was crispy and well-seasoned. The waffles were light and fluffy and the whole thing was served with a perfectly cooked sunny side up egg and an amazing concoction called bacon caramel sauce. It was heavenly. The house Bloody Mary mix isn't spicy enough for me, but they provided extra hot sauce. They were kind of stingy with the olives, though.Special Features:
- DC Favoriteprof1foodieVIPDined on 1/10/2013Great food! Great atmosphere! Great service! Great experienceSpecial Features:
- Outstanding for what it isWGL1VIPDined on 12/23/2012Outstanding for what it is the appetizers, sliders and pizza are allgreat. But it is not - and does pretend to be - a gourmet experience.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/20/2012Had reservations and had to wait for a table for over 30 minutes. The host left our group of six standing in the middle of the aisle and never came back as promised. The manager told us that the Opentalble website was to blame instead of taking responsibility for slow service. A free beverage pr appetizer would have been nice since the wait was ridiculous. Will definitely not go back.
- Always goodRado86Dined on 12/17/2012Been several times in the past few months and am always very happy and satisfied. Menu choices are varied and everything is yummy. Drinks are good and prices par for the neighborhood. Service is always friendly and helpful as well. Thanks Matchbox!Special Features:
- This was my first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2012This was my first time at matchbox. I expected a lot and it definitely delivered. I was there on a weeknight with a large group and it was great. We had two servers and great service overall. I'm sure it would be a different story on a busier night, but the food would more than make up for it. We all had pizza, but they were all really good. Personally, I tried chicken pesto, spicy meatball, and matchbox meat and all were excellent. My favorite was the chicken pesto, definitely. Everyone should go to matchbox; it is reasonably priced and a really good time!Special Features:
- First time having brunch atCC12VIPDined on 9/3/2012First time having brunch at matchbox - it was outstanding. The food was superb and the drinks were nice and strong!
- I simply wasn't impressedJPinDCVIPDined on 8/15/2012I simply wasn't impressed with the dough for the pizzas here. The toppings were of excellent excellent, though the "zesty" red sauce is simply spicy, not exactly flavorful. It was all edible, but I find many competitors have better pizza on better crust.
- Our group had a great time,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2012Our group had a great time, the waitresses were always right on time with refilling our drinks and we did not have to wonder where I waitress was. I would recommend Matchbox to all of my friends and for future group gatherings. Im glad that I made the reservations and we did not have any problems when we got there, we were seated immediately.Special Features:
- Their pizza is amaazing, asOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/7/2012Their pizza is amaazing, as are their pomegranate martinis :) I had a great birthday dinner there.Special Features:
- It was great to be in a placefoodfan72Dined on 8/6/2012It was great to be in a place that provides comfortable,cozy,and intimate atmosphere for a large group. The thin crust brick oven baked pizza is great. Our servers stayed on top of everything. They were smiling and energetic. This made for a great eating experience. I highly recommend making reservations.Special Features:
- Excellent food. AccommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2012Excellent food. Accommodating staff and wonderful customer service. I'd go there again and definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Loved everything about Matchbox.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2012Loved everything about Matchbox. Excellent Service and wonderful sliders and pizza. I would definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:
- We sat thinking the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2012We sat thinking the first cocktail was good, and another would have really hit the spot...alas we sat looking at empty glasses for nearly 15-20 minutes waiting for our wayward waitress to return...at which point, she said she had "another table that really crazy."
- The food was very good, generally,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2012The food was very good, generally, although the spicy vegetable soup was way too spicy and tasted like canned soup with hot sauce, pretty inedible. The pizzas were all good as were the desserts. The problem arose with the inattentive service which included being shorted twice as to plates and utensils, including no spoon when the soup was served, and no refills on drinks. We were left alone for long periods and had to hunt down some help when we lacked forks. One would think the number in our party, 11, was clear by then. This was a special occasion that was marred by the poor service. It became a very frustrating experience when it should have been more fun.
- Delicious food, awesome cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/24/2012Delicious food, awesome cocktails (especially the infused vodka drinks) and great location.Special Features:
- The pizza was really good,OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/15/2012The pizza was really good, and the drinks were good too. The atmosphere's pretty cool. However, the waitress was not very attentive and the service was very slow. We went for lunch, and it took over an hour and fifteen minutes from start to finish. No appetizers or dessert; just pizza and salads. I would try it again, but would hope for better service next time around...Special Features:
- It was my first time thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2012It was my first time there and I LOVED IT! I kept hearing about it and I know someone who works there and had to experience it for myself. I will definitely be returning, service was great and food was even better!Special Features:
- We were a group of 7 so weJamesPDined on 4/2/2012We were a group of 7 so we tried mini burgers with various cheeses and a handful of pizzas and sandwiches. Everything was great. The staff put forth extra effort to make things right when we ordered Irish Coffees for dessert and the originally delivered drinks weren't what we expected (coffee with a shot of Jamison).Special Features:
- Always a great choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/28/2012Been to Matchbox Chinatown a number of times, and always have a great experience. Great choice before a concert at Verizon Center. Sliders and onion straws are fantastic, and their pizzas are good. Went with the chicken pesto.Special Features: