Matchbox - Chinatown
713 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Chinatown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://matchboxchinatown.com/
- Phone: 2022894441
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Cliff Wharton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 7th and H Street
- Public Transit: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (Red, Green, Yellow);Metro Center (Red, Blue, Orange
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Many parking garages are available in area. We offer a discount rate for parking at the 9th and I street garage. It is located at the TechWorld building. Please bring your ticket to the restaurant for validation.
A word from Matchbox - Chinatown
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matchbox - Chinatown reviews from OpenTable diners
254 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (94)neighborhood gem (85)good for groups (84)fit for foodies (77)hot spot (72)kid-friendly (45)late-night find (41)great for brunch (40)special occasion (35)vibrant bar scene (31)great for outdoor dining (24)romantic (20)notable wine list (10)scenic view (5)Show More
- Great pizza!ycomedyVIPDined on 6/10/2014Just wonderful pizza! Our waitress was really nice as well. Got seated next to a noisy door before the rush... But if you are looking for consistently excellent food, this is a great spot. Vibrant as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was OkayAngelDined on 6/5/2014We ordered pizza. It was ok. Very expensive. 14 inch with sausage and mushroom was $22.00 and was not unique.
- Great View, Great Food!EmmyDined on 6/1/2014I went to celebrate with my family and friends and had a wonderful time! They seated us (we were a big group) on the third floor which was a great spot with a bit of privacy from the rest of restaurant. The food was fantastic -- save room for dessert, we had the trio and shared with everyone. We left happy and stuffed!Special Features:
- Post Post Hunt Late LunchAnniversaryCoupleDined on 6/1/2014Following an afternoon running around DC with friends doing the Washington Post Hunt, we went to Matchbox Chinatown for a late lunch / early dinner (4 PM). The group (7 of us) were seated at one large round table where we could easily converse together. Everyone enjoyed their food (gourmet pizza and burgers, soup and salads). The wait staff was friendly and reasonably attentive but sometimes wandered off for longer than was necessary. Overall the experience was quite pleasant.Special Features:
- Post-Shakespeare diningFormerFedVIPDined on 5/27/2014Went to Matchbox-Chinatown for dinner after "Henry IV, Part II" at Harman Hall. Tried to eat there about a month ago, after "Henry IV, Part I", but discovered I'd made a reservation at the 14th Street Matchbox instead of this one. (Why Open Table has the 14th Street branch listed among Downtown restaurants is a mystery.) I had the Matchbox Meat pizza, which was very tasty. The Trio dessert overwhelmed me. I finished the sorbets and ice cream but left most of the doughnut holes and brownies. Service was reasonably attentive and the area in which I was the sole diner quiet. I'll return to Matchbox-Chinatown after future Shakespeare plays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeMandyMVIPDined on 5/27/2014This was my first time at Matchbox - thanks to a gift card my office provided us in April for Administrative Professionals' Week. I had the crab cake sandwich with fries - and I think that is one of the best crabcakes I have had in DC! Excellent! The fries were great as well - and our server, Mufasa, took care of us with enthusiasm and knowledge of the menu by advising my friend that she could get the two pizzas she was debating on split on one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 208 reviews are from the Matchbox - Chinatown reviews archive.
- Great placeObguyDined on 5/5/2014Our second time here. Always good service from friendly staff. Food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!BFFsDined on 4/22/2014Brick oven pizza and more! Service was outstanding. Food delicious. We only ended up with pizza and husband got seafood special. All of it was great. Also split the dessert trio....so yummy! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/17/2014Good food at a moderate price and convenient location. The best steak and cheese in DC.Special Features:
- Solid spot.AaronDined on 4/13/2014Nothing awesome, nothing bad. About what you would expect for a touristy area like Chinatown.
- The Crab Soup was superb andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2014The Crab Soup was superb and the Cubano excellent. Service was very good, friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Two thumbs upmollyVIPDined on 4/12/2014We came after a game to grab something to eat. The bar was packed with people but the rest of the restaurant was not. We were seated quickly and our server was quick. He was very attentive and cheerful. A lot of servers could learn from him. My husband got the bistro burger and it was cooked to perfection. I got a small pizza that was amazing and great portion. Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for lunchCharlietheclamVIPDined on 4/9/2014I always enjoy going to Matchbox for lunch with friends. There is a happy vibe. Most of the time everyone gets pizza, so I cannot comment on the rest of the food. The pizza is always good. They have an interesting variety. I recommend the chef's picks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wood fired wonderfulMTFoodieDined on 4/7/2014We ordered the scallops, crab cake & bun less mini burger. All I can say is wow. I come from beef country and I have never tasted better beef. Shrimp & grits had a delicious spin. Highly recommended. Wood fired pizza is a winner every time! Jesus was an excellent server, and he seemed genuinely proud of the product as he should be. What a gr8 experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeeeelishOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/7/2014Mini burgers a must. Great salads, pizzas and rustic rigatoni worth coming back for. Adults and kids will have lots to chose from. We tried the Capitol Hill location for lunch and then China Town location for dinner while in DC from Seattle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with coworkersMissHonestOpinion79Dined on 4/4/2014I really like Matchbox. It has a trendy, cool type of vibe. Making the reservation online was a breeze. Changing it online wasn't (modifying it to lower the number of attendees), I had to call the restaurant. The one thing I dislike about their policy is that you have to wait for at least half of your party to show up before you are seated. Waitress was very nice and a little nervous. I assume this was her first time serving a "large" group. We had to remind her about water, straws,etc. Took awhile for our food to come out- keep that in mind if your on a strict time schedule. the overall experience was nice. My matchbox chicken sandwich was a little dry. I usually get the sandwich and it's delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MrStevensfromCateringMrStevensfromCateringDined on 4/2/2014Best to have a reservation during peak times. That makes the experince a lot nicer. No extended waiting. The food is great, and the service is good. During lunch, they do a great job of getting you in-and-out, without making you feel as if you need to "get out". I highly recommend it for lunch get togethers.Special Features:
- Nice Gem...MarieeDined on 3/31/2014This place is really cool and I got the crispy chicken and it was fair. I will return to try the pizza and dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great PizzaDCDinerDined on 3/27/2014I've been to several Matchbox locations and have never been disappointed. I've tried a few of the non-pizza entrees and have found them to be delicious. Matchbox may not knock your socks off, but you can safely schedule a social or business dinner there without worrying the food or service will be sub-par.I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, terrible serviceMichelleDined on 3/24/2014Food was good. Service was terrible. We were a group of 6ppl. One person'sorder came out at least 10 minutes before the rest of the table. When we asked where the rest of our order was, the waitress said pizzas come out faster (this didn't make sense because two others in our group also ordered pizzas). The waitress said she'd have the chef make a new pizza and bring it out when the rest of the food was ready. She didn't do that. All she did was put the old pizza in the oven to warm it -- it came back to us burnt. Also the booth they put us in was very uncomfortable. We are 6 small women and we were up against 6 large men who kept leaning back shifting the seating into us. A table would have been better.Special Features:
- Loved itFoodlerDined on 3/23/2014I'd been to the Matchbox in Eastern Market and liked it so I decided to try the Chinatown Matchbox for brunch. The set up was even much better, the stuff were friendly and the food was great. The hot cinnamon rolls were to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good dining experience,JennDined on 3/20/2014Very good dining experience, since this was my first time there. Great food, great service, will come back again.Special Features:
- No one puts baby in a cornerAlexDDined on 3/18/2014I booked a table for a weekday, late after, early evening dinner with friends from out of town. We were seated way upstairs in a back corner despite there being plenty of tables open in the main, sunnier(!), level. Our waiter seemed attentive at first, but after serving drinks, dinner took forever, and I had to walk down to the bar to get our check after we had been waiting for close to 15 minutes after finishing dinner. I love the food at Matchbox, and have had excellent experiences at other locations, but the Chinatown location is definitely lacking I am sad to say.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-game dinnerWizardsLadiesDined on 3/12/2014This was the perfect ladies night pre-wizards game dinner. Our server was energetic, knowledgeable of all the dishes and drinks and the food was delicious. We each had a few drinks and those were tasty as well. The only drawback I had with the night was the location of bathroom. There is only one set of lavatories which happen to be in the ground level. My friends and I were seated on the top floor which was four flights up. My recommendation for improvement would be to install another set of lavatories either on the top floor or at the very least the third floor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service. Sat at the tableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014Poor service. Sat at the table for 10 minutes before anyone came around to take a drink order.Special Features:
- Great For a Quick Bite During LunchDenamarDined on 3/4/2014Once again, Matchbox did not disappoint in delivering quality food and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love MatchboxHungry4PizzaDined on 3/1/2014Lovely experience. We were sat right away. The waitress was very nice. She explained the menu. The food was awesome. We had the meat lovers pizza. Food came out fast. Always an excellent experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot, Hot, Hot!MonumentalVIPDined on 2/20/2014Always a consistent exceptional meal with a vibrant atmosphere. Service too, was over the top. I highly recommend Matchbox.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/19/2014This was my second visit to Matchbox. Had the same waiter (can't remember his name for the life of me) but he was EXCELLENT~! Extremely knowledgeable and accommodating without hovering. Fantastic smile, perfect amount of humor and just all around great experience.Special Features:
- Duck ConfitWestinDCDined on 2/11/2014Monday night's special of Duck Confit with Baked beans and potato chips w/ crispy spinach was to die for! I usually stick with the pizza but this was an amazing dinner along with 10 year anniv red wine blend( CA winery-west coast love).:-) great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server Sho was awesome,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/10/2014Our server Sho was awesome, very attentive and knowledgeable about the restaurant and the products they sale.Special Features:
- Random Night in DCRahrobDined on 2/7/2014We were going to order up room service but I stumbled upon Match Box and the menu, ambience and price made us want to check it out. We were pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. Would highly recommend d this place.Special Features:
- Great Food & Excellent SelectionDCGovtContractorDined on 2/7/2014Our group enjoyed the lunch... great food and a wonderful selection of excellent dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinnerNikkyDined on 2/5/2014Everything from the appetizer to dessert was great! No complaints. Our service was excellent as well. Around 5:00 we were the only ones in the upstairs dining area near the windows but by 6:00 the whole place was filled. We split an appetizer sampler, salmon dinner and pistachio cheescake for dessert and left full but not overstuffed.Special Features:
- as always Matchbox was a greatspatzdoVIPDined on 2/4/2014as always Matchbox was a great experience.. Great Pizza. good selection of beer on tap.Special Features:
- Really a great spot to haveOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/4/2014Really a great spot to have some dinner before a game or concert at the Verizon Center. Bring your hiking boots though - there are 3 levels! Food was EXCELLENT. Had their regular salad with the dried cherries - yummy! Also there appetizer trio - which was JUST RIGHT for a meal, 2 bunless sliders cooked to perfection and juicy, 2 crab cakes - very little filler and 2 HUGE seared scallops! Very TASTY! We also got the dessert trio which was extremely good and recommend that you share. Our server was very polite but when asked what his favorites ont he menu he was reluctant to tell us. The service was a little slow, but not so much that it ticked me off. ALL and ALL I would come back again and will check out the Merrifld one.
- Staff was great with the two kids.caphillnyDined on 1/24/2014Thanks to the staff who were very accommodating. We had a 9 year old and a 2 year old, the servers were patient and were kid friendly in terms of cups and a high chair. Thanks. Pizza as usual was great.Special Features:
- The entrance is rather smallInMyOpinionDined on 1/17/2014The entrance is rather small and the lighting is sufficient. The seating area is decent and the booths look comfortable. The table server was professional and perky! I saw an order of the 6 minis with onion straws...get the assortment of cheese; BUT, the gouda cheese tastes awesome! The onion strings were delicious too. I had to take half of the order home. The minis come in 3, 6, or 9 servings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodDoveVIPDined on 1/16/2014The lunch at Matchbox is always good. This time I got the tomato soup which really hit the spot on a very cold day. We were seated promptly and enjoyed very good service.Special Features:
- Great crabcakehockeyfanDined on 1/14/2014Had the crabcake sandwich--generous with the crab and no excess fillers. Nice brioche bun. This casual meal would have gotten 5 stars if the chef hadn't presalted the french fries way to excess. Please let us do the salting if we so desire or avoid it as required for high blood pressure. Lay off the heavy salt!!!!!Special Features: