Matchbox - Chinatown
713 H Street NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Matchbox - Chinatown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://matchboxchinatown.com/
- Phone: 2022894441
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:30pm Friday: 11:00am - 11:30pm Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm Sunday: 10:00am - 10:30pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Cliff Wharton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 7th and H Street
- Public Transit: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (Red, Green, Yellow);Metro Center (Red, Blue, Orange
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Many parking garages are available in area. We offer a discount rate for parking at the 9th and I street garage. It is located at the TechWorld building. Please bring your ticket to the restaurant for validation.
A word from Matchbox - Chinatown
Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Matchbox - Chinatown reviews from OpenTable diners
265 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (92)neighborhood gem (87)good for groups (87)fit for foodies (79)hot spot (77)kid-friendly (45)great for brunch (43)late-night find (39)vibrant bar scene (34)special occasion (34)great for outdoor dining (27)romantic (23)notable wine list (11)scenic view (6)Show More
- Holy Cinnamon Rolls, BatmanWingedPeachDined on 7/27/2014Went for brunch with my sister. The staff is very kind here. We ordered the cinnamon rolls and the prosciutto white pizza. Both were very different and delicious. The cinnamon rolls were fluffy which we liked and the ingredients on the pizza were of very good quality. I hope to visit again!Special Features:
- Great pre-concert dinnerTrikkeRiderDined on 7/26/2014Had tickets to see Billy Joel at 8PM so made a reservation for 6PM. Skipped past the 25 people waiting for a table and was seated immediately. The cream of crab soup is killer!!!! The pizza was thin crust and had just the right amount of sauce and zesty flavor. Didn't have any dessert but saw some donuts at a neighboring table and they looked divine. Just didn't have room for another bite.Special Features:
- Delicious brunch, cheerful staff.UpforNewSpotsVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great patio with awning. Perfect Chinatown location. Loved the apple pear salad and brunch French toast. Accommodating staff and upbeat vibe. Nice sized space. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!moohp2008Dined on 7/24/2014We dined here on a Thursday night. We had a previous reservation and were automatically taken to an available table. They were busy for later on a Thursday. We were seated on the second level upstairs at a pretty small table. My boyfriend is 6'6 so we could have used some extra space but I do understand it was limited that night. The food was great and had great timing. The highlight was our server. She was friendly and engaging and made great recommendations. I was impressed! This was my first time at this location, having been to the Eastern Market location several times. A different atmosphere but I would return. I love the food!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodsharonDined on 7/24/2014The food was absolutely fabulous. A must try if you are anywhere close. Our service was really great as well. The only reason I did not give 5 stars was the 20+ minute wait after our reservation time. And you really shouls make reservations for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyKathDined on 7/23/2014Good salad, great pizza. No wonder they are always busy!Special Features:
- Consistently goodFrequentFoodieDined on 7/22/2014I'm always impressed that they have more than just pizza on the menu, but at the same time, I can never bear to order anything except the pizza because it is so divine. Great and unusual combinations (prosciutto, fig, honey, and arugula), along with some traditionals. The crust is so tasty, and the toppings so good that both my friend and I practically inhaled our pizza. We really had great service-- very polite and attentive, and we were not rushed us in spite of it being lunchtime, which was a nice change for the neighborhood.Special Features:
- PTJPTJVIPDined on 7/21/2014Best pizza in DC, along with the best mini-burgers. The service this time was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice service, but...tm2000VIPDined on 7/20/2014We had shrimp and grits app (really good); crab cake sandwich (very good); scallops (excellent) and apple cobbler with salted carmel ice cream (coma inducing). The only negative was the two top seating on the second floor at an elevated bar stool/bench configuration which was very uncomfortable and made having a conversation impossible due to the noise. Even though four top booths were available, we heard staff decline requests by other twosomes to sit at them. Aside from the seating issue, the food and service was great. It's in my neighborhood, so I am sure we will be back.Special Features:
- Meatball pizzakaleykaley13Dined on 7/20/2014I came to Matchbox Chinatown to meet up with a friend I hadn't seen in awhile for dinner. It was a little bit noisy and sometimes hard to hear each other, but the energy of the somewhat small, vertical, warm restaurant was overall nice. It was a Sunday night and still very busy. We each had a salad-- somewhat basic, but delicious-- and then we shared the larger size of one of the pizzas. It had a zesty tomato sauce with bacon bits, onions, and big meatballs. We were feeling hungry and indulgent so it really hit the spot, very cheesy and satisfying if a bit heavy. I would probably visit this restaurant again, mainly just if I wanted some really good pizza.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedMishDined on 7/20/2014I've been to other Matchbox restaurants but I was a hot disappointed. The bisque was a bit too salty, but the salad was good. The apple crisp was way too sweet. Each note seemed to be clumps of brown sugar. Normally I love sweet desserts but it was too much for me. However, the service was great. Our waitress was very nice and easy to find when we needed her. After this, I may just stick with the Capitol Hill location.
- Delicious!foodfreakDined on 7/20/2014The food was absolutely delicious. I went to Matchbox for brunch when the menu is only so many items long and I still had so much trouble choosing what to eat. Everything sounded and looked amazing. Great service as well.Special Features:
- VictoriaJaneDined on 7/19/2014The dinner was really good. My only pet peeve was that the description of my dinner did not match up to what came out. I ordered the Shrimp rigattoni, which was advertised as a creamy cajun sauce and shrimp. When it came out, only three shrimp were in the entire dish and it was more of an oily liquid sauce. It was still good though, I just wasn't expecting it. Overall great restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food, but don't sit outsideChrissyVADined on 7/19/2014The food was good, albeit a bit overpriced given the ambiance. I also would not recommend sitting outside as you are interrupted frequently by folks on the sidewalk/street.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as normalFoodJunkieVIPDined on 7/19/2014I usually not only suggest this for all tourist, but I drag all of my out-of-town guest to this great local chain pizza haunt. I planned this visit for the brunch group outing and it was a disaster from the start. We were seated at the worst seat in the place. I almost asked to be seated elsewhere (probably should have it might have led to better service). They did not give us enough menu's & as one of our guest reached over the table to share my menu we knocked over a full bellini - which they made us replace at full cost! We used all of our napkins to clean up the mess and we were left without replacements for a long time. We got coffee without spoons and without sugar/cream. We had to ask twice. We had long wait for the check. Bad.
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Messed up our order slightly, very slow, small portions. Food was kind of salty... has gone downhill lately.
- ChantinaJacksonVIPDined on 7/12/2014I love this place and the food is always excellent and the service is very good.Special Features:
- Definitely Coming Back!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014My brother was in town visiting from Houston, TX and he wanted to go somewhere "cool". My husband and I decided to take him to Matchbox-Chinatown on a friends recommendation. It was just that... a very "cool" and happening place. The food and service was outstanding. The aroma of the food was great...it was a pleasure just watching all the amazing pizza's and sliders going by our table on their way to a packed restaurants tables. Our three selections were perfectly prepared and presented. The drinks were heavenly and the dessert was decadent. Will definitely be back for more.Special Features:
- Parking validationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/10/2014We called early in the afternoon the day of our reservation to see if they offered valet service because of the torrential down pour that was happening. She said they did not but there was a parking garage and they validated parking. Well, the garage was about 2 blocks away and after dinner they gave us a restaurant manager's card with the date and time on it because they had run out of the validation cards. This did not work at the garage as there was no way for the garage to scan it or know of it was valid. So we paid a lot...which suckedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good atmospherewstokes33Dined on 7/6/2014The atmosphere was unique and family friendly. The food was good and was a little pricey, but overall it was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!rinasDined on 7/5/2014I come here for the food. As always, the huevos rancheros, brunch pizza, and skillet cinnamon rolls were delightful.Special Features:
- Love It!Akumaplex003Dined on 7/4/2014Matchbox is hands down my favorite restaurant in DC. While there selections of beers and spirits is breaded in the DC indie beer scene. I can't get enough of their food. Matchbox meat is my absolutely favorite. I will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuckedMattDined on 7/3/2014Food other than the pizza was flavorless and dry. Pizza was decent but overpriced. Service was the worst part -- we made a reservation but still waited 30 min for a table, which we found by walking around and pointing out an empty table to the hostess. Also, they charge for bread.
- Ok but manage expectationsTeeAnnVIPDined on 7/1/2014I've been to the MB in Capitol Hill and didn't realize the menu was somewhat different at the Chinatown location which was a disappointment for what I had planned to order. That said, we got a special which was a salmon dish and was very good. My biggest concern that would give me pause for going back to this location was our section was VERY loud. I had intended to go to have a conversation and found myself having to raise my voice pretty high to be heard. Again, Cap Hill location didn't have this issue.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2014Matchbox was a perfect ending to a great day in DC.....the pizza was delicious and the sliders were awesome. Our server was excellent and very friendly. We would eat here many times if we lived here....Special Features:
- Good for birthday celebrationRichardTSeymourDined on 6/30/2014We had a party of four in the Chinatown restaurant. No problem getting a reservation, and we were seated promptly. Service was excellent. Three of us thought it was the best pizza in town. The one thing I would have liked is a more varied set of add-ons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I eat at Matchbox when I come to DCOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2014Matchbox is a great place to have lunch. They have a great menu. The pizzas are fantastic!!Special Features:
- Reliable OptionAntonioRVIPDined on 6/29/2014Came here early enough for brunch on sunday. Had the veggie frittata which was a nice, large portion. Added a waffle as a side for $4. The menu prices aren't the same as they are online. Both were good and my drink - the punch was very good. Only bad thing: out of cinnamon rolls by 12:45pm on a Sunday! Will be back.Special Features:
- Long wait despite reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/28/2014Despite a reservation, they told us it would be a 15 minute wait upon arrival. Instead it was over 45 minutes. Then after ordering they came back some time later to tell us they were out of several things we ordered. Food was good though.
- Gret Service and FoodKathyDined on 6/27/2014This was my second time at Matchbox. The food and service were excellent. I will definitley go again. The firm I work for Williams & Connolly gave us gift cards for Matchbox. As you see I have gone a second time since using it. Everyone I have talked to at my firm have had a great expererience.Special Features:
- Great Pizza/Nice Spot in ChinatownEReneeDined on 6/26/2014Only tried the pizza. Very good. Service and atmosphere both good. Would return when in the area.Special Features:
- Hot (and not in a nice way)WandererDined on 6/26/2014The place was exceedingly warm as they had not turned on the air conditioning on quite a warm day.....
- sarasmileDined on 6/26/2014Great Food and great service. Love this restaurant always!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Concert Go ToLipcheesVIPDined on 6/25/2014We dined here before the Katy Perry concert at Verizon center and so glad we did. Their menu is varied and conducive to the old and the young. Our group (which consisted of adults and teens) ordered a burger, a sausage pizza, the crab/avocado salad and seared scallops. Everyone's dish came out great (although the male teen that ordered the sausage pizza said he preferred Papa Johns - I attribute that to undeveloped taste buds!!) - no one was disappointed. We also ordered the sampler dessert which came with mini donuts, brownie and ice cream and sorbet. FABULOUS! Also, our waitress was fantastic - very attentive and knew we were short on time so helped us along with menu items and getting in and out so as not to miss the opening act.Special Features:
- Glad I finally made itOutsideDCDined on 6/25/2014I have been wanting to try Matchbox and was glad that it met my expectations. Two of us split the 6 count sliders and a personal pepperoni pizza. The pepperoni was spicy, which I like. The sliders were delicious, the buns were soft and crispy and the burgers juicy. The onion straws served with the sliders were plentiful and yummy. I had the Allagash White to drink and it hit the spot with the pizza and burgers.Special Features:
- Reservations mean nothing. Busy.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/24/2014Pizza is good and beer list is decent. Had a reservation for 6:30 and we weren't seated until 7:15.
- Should not accept reservationsBoomerVIPDined on 6/24/2014Okay, after booking a reservation for six, we even received a follow-up call from the restaurant confirming. When we arrived we were told they were running behind!!?? When asked how long, they said at least 30 minutes!? So with a show we had tickets for we simply left in disgust. I have heard only good things about Matchbox - the place was packed with many waiting outside in the heat. My gripe, don't bother taking reservations you can't honor!Special Features:
- Matchbox lights up Chinatown!DaveDined on 6/23/2014Very good food - particularly the pizza - and has some nice twists on what you would typically expect to find. Very solid beer list. My kids also enjoyed it - one of those places where mom and dad can enjoy a tasty drink and an adult meal but at the same time, kids are welcome. Very good service. Nice addition to the Chinatown area, and with it's location close to Verizon Center, will definitely be a place I will visit again before/after events there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014I've never had a bad experience at any Matchbox, and the Chinatown location was my first, so therefor favorite. Great for individual plates or sharing pizza and sliders.Special Features:
- Decent brunchE13HansenDined on 6/21/2014Maybe it was because it was brunch on a Saturday, but we were seated way in the back of the restaurant (the place is labyrinthine). We were given one table, then promptly moved, one server started telling us specials, but was cut off by another, so a bit of inconsistency at the beginning of service. My bloody mary (the 9) suffered from being a bit watered down, but had potential to be quite nice. The banana bread french toast was tasty. Thick slices of banana bread with rum maple syrup, which worked really well together and I'd order it again.I would recommend this to a friend.