Flex Mussels - 13th Street
154 West 13th St.
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Flex Mussels - 13th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://flexmussels.com/
- Phone: 2122290222x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Tues - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30PM, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: Please join us for $20 all you can eat mussels from 5:30-7PM every night at the bar and counter only. Choice of Fra Diavolo, PEI or Classic. Fries and one draft beer included!
A word from Flex Mussels - 13th Street
Flex directly imports the highest quality Prince Edward Mussels, and we serve oysters that taste like you're kissing the sea!Continued
7 nights a week-bar and counter only 5:30-7PM Monday-Thursday, Fri-Sunday 5:00PM-7PM
7 nights a week-bar and counter only 5:30-7PM Monday-Thursday, Fri-Sunday 5:00PM-7PM
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Flex Mussels - 13th Street - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Flex Mussels - 13th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (118)neighborhood gem (96)hot spot (47)romantic (45)special occasion (37)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (28)great for outdoor dining (13)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (8)late-night find (8)scenic view (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014Never disappoints! Interesting, flavorful and memorable mussel pot combinations. Always great seasonal beers on draft. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!freddiefDined on 5/2/2014The flavors of the broth, the freshness of the mussels and the fried clams we had as an appetizer, and the french fries all combined to make a truly superb meal. Will definitely be back. Incredibly wonderful tastes and we left with our bellies full and our taste buds singing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014The food was great and the staff was amazing. We loved it !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pmccroskVIPDined on 4/26/2014New restaurant with items centered of mussels...the preparations were wonderful and innovative... the best Thai mussels I've ever been served. Server was friendly, informed and attentive. Manager was engaged, conversational and optimized the dining experience. Book early, hard to get in.
- You need to get the donutscccbDined on 4/25/2014So much fun! Huge portions especially because you NEED to get the donuts!! Next time I think i would share mussels and get extra donuts. Really fun experience!Special Features:
- Mussel Heaven14YRSDined on 4/24/2014A mussel lovers heaven The service is excellent The artwork is delightful Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Mussel Lovers DreamOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2014If you're a fan of mussels, you can't find a better spot. The selection of steaming broths is jaw dropping each one more interesting than the other. And of course there is the traditional accompanying French Fries that demand a second helping. There is an extensive list of beers both domestic and international to add to a delightful meal. The dessert list is limited but after such a large meal who would miss this after-dinner sweet.Special Features:
- Good but can be betterFoodloverDined on 4/21/2014Love the classic mussels in the white wine garlic sauce. Not to impress with the service. Felt like the servers needed smaller sections. Because my server was running around ....we got our bottle of wine towards the end of our meal. And I specifically ordered it to enjoy it with the mussels ...my water glass was empty. Over all it was ok. I would go back for the mussels. Just a quick bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been to Flex MusselsMillieVIPDined on 4/14/2014I have been to Flex Mussels numerous times over the past year, but have always eaten indoors. This past Monday, we decided to eat outside, as it was the first nice night of the year, and I fell in love with this neighborhood gem all over again. The oysters from PEI and BC were so fresh, and the mussels were divine. My friend and I first had the Kale Caesar Salad (simple, but a great summer salad), the French Onion Mussels, and the New England Mussels (chowder based broth). The variety available is wonderful, and the service was top notch. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite restaurantlindsayw427Dined on 4/13/2014This was our third time going and it was as delicious as always! The clam strips are our favorite appetizer. Hard to find in the city but these are outstanding. I got the Thai mussels again and they were out of this world. I could literally drink that broth (but I didn't). Then we got the homemade donuts to go... you have to get them! The blueberry and s'mores flavors are my favs but the strawberry and pb&j and salted caramel are also delicious. I have to say, I'm normally just a wine drinker but they have great cocktails here. I had the Wiley E Coyote (jalapeno infused tequila) and last time I had the Breakfast At (bourbon, rosemary infused honey, grapefruit). Both great! And I noticed that they added a few two-top tables outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must!BeccaKDined on 4/12/2014This is one of my go-to's downtown. The atmosphere is energetic and the food is wonderful. Must try the donuts for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014We came for the mussels which were very good. Staff attentive and friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, againJeevesDined on 4/11/2014Been to this restaurant many times now, and I will continue to go back. Excellent food, excellent service, great cocktails. Not sure what else I could want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second Time & Still GoodBKJDDined on 4/11/2014We went for a friends birthday and food, service, and overall experience were just great! Definitely loved the mussels with chorizo.Special Features:
- Great Find!WestVilGirlDined on 4/8/2014Food is great and reasonably priced, perfect for a fun time when you are not in a rush as it is small and popular so there could be a wait. Key is to arrive early with your whole group and be relaxed about the whole experience, get some fun drinks at the bar, hangout. Could be good for groups but definitely make a reservation ahead of time! Would definitely come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess had musclesoldfoodie63Dined on 4/8/2014Great place. Met by a seasoned hostess who either has been doing this for too long or maybe she just had a bad day. A little rough handling by her was largely offset by an attentive bartender, a terrific bearded waiter who patiently returned several times before we could make up our minds, and a great meal. I love the presentation in the buckets, the ample broth for dipping bread, and just enough noise to make the place feel really lively. I'll go back for more and to see if the hostess is in a better mood.Special Features:
- Perhaps the Best ServiceSteveDined on 4/5/2014The food's wonderful with many options--from light broths to really creamy ones. However, the real seller is the fantastic service. Servers are friendly and make you feel at home. The noise level is just right, such that there's no need to yell but none of that awkward silence. I had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great musselsRCooperDined on 4/5/2014Restaurant was better than we expected. Great food, plentiful choices for the mussel lover! Service was excellent. Favorite dish was the Cleopatra!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very HappyJoanneVIPDined on 4/4/2014Fantastic restaurant with large variety of mussel. Wait staff pleasant and attentive. Food delicious. Decor reminds diners they're eating Prince Edwards Island mussels. Loved it!Special Features:
- Jonny likes to Flex his appetiteJonnyapplesauseDined on 4/4/2014My parents were in town for the weekend to meet their grand baby. My wife suggested Flex Mussels since we all loved Mussels from our favorite restaurant that we used to attend when we lived in Charleston SC (Rue De Jean). We brought our 3 month old with us & the restaurant made it very easy. We started with some raw Oysters by sampling the 6 different kinds. East coast were great west coast were ok. I got the fried calamari with Shrimp & fried oysters, Very tasty. My wife & I then split the mussels bisque which was very good but a little light on the lobster, could've used a few more pieces. My wife loved the kale caesar, and we all shared the flex donuts, she loved the meyer lemon, I liked the caramel and pb&j. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great date night spotlips2hipsDined on 4/1/2014A cute little restaurant with a good food and a great vibe. My date and I enjoyed the raw and fried oysters along with our mussels. Lots of options to choose from. Friendly staff at the bar. Can't wait to get back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent musselsKimmer95Dined on 3/29/2014They do what they do best - steam mussels. This is the 1 & only place I go & order a whole bowl for myself. They have a variety of creative favors. Their oysters are great too. Always a friendly staff. Be sure to make a reservation b/c this place gets packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service. good food.ChristineIsPinkVIPDined on 3/29/2014I think the food falls a little short of the 82nd st. location. but the service and ambience is great. The chowder was a touch salty and the potatoes were not cut up as small as I like them (and like the 82nd street location did). But it was still good. The crab cakes were great - full of lump crab meat with no shell and not a lot of other filler. This time, I had the classic mussels. And I don't know if it's the different presentation but it didn't feel like as many mussels as the "special" flavors. Our servers were fantastic, and the manager came by to say hi and check on us. We felt like regulars even though it was our first time. If I lived nearby I would love to come more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING musselsJG408Dined on 3/28/2014I don't know what the rest of the menu is like, because why would you get anything other than mussels? They're amazing. The best I've had in New York. The many preparations and broths are practically soups or stews, there's so much wonderful flavor and food in the pot along with the mussels. Really amazing food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellenthighstandardsVIPDined on 3/27/2014Perfect vibrant place with great food and good wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!delectableVIPDined on 3/25/2014I was not expecting much from Flex Mussels but it truly blew me away. Everything that we had was incredible from the wine to the mussels (Parma) to the dessert. The restaurant was packed on a Tuesday but we had no problem getting a table. They have a ton of mussels in different broths but also have a decent amount of other foods on the menu - crab cakes, fish and chips, fish tacos, salads, etc. Delicious food - bravo Flex Mussels!Special Features:
- THE place for musselsSteveBDined on 3/18/2014I've been to both locations in NYC - they are nearly identical. Food is well prepared and beer selections are fantastic. Good value and pretty knowledgeable servers make this a solid choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Parma Hit the Spot!FoodLover80Dined on 3/16/2014As a pregnant woman craving mussels, I needed to locate a great restaurant. I did a Google search and Flex Mussels had great reviews so I went for it! Was not disappointed. I was recommended to try the Parma Mussels by Carol (a wonder server). Other than Carol our server Jay recommended this dish as well. If you lovely a creamy broth and shallots definitely try the Parma. Even the presentation was beautiful and different from the other mussel presentations. We had the special dessert (brownie) which was also great and their chamomile tea was just a great finishing touch. Overall a great dinner with my family especially my little one whose craving was satisfied. Thanks Steve (GM), Jay, & Carol (Servers) for a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussel-Lover HeavenharlemgirlDined on 3/11/2014Perfect spot for mussel-lovers! So many flavors to choose from and they all sound delicious. I'd have to go back everyday for a month to try all the entrees that sounded intriguing. Everything (wine, appetizers, and entrees), while generously portioned, is a little on the pricey side so it's a great place for special occasion dinners/outings. On the flip side, it would have to be an intimate occasion because the restaurant is on the narrow side. They've maximized seating; subsequently minimizing personal space and comfort. Overall, I'd eat here again if I was craving a good hearty pot of mussels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful PEI MusselsCityChicDiningDined on 3/9/2014Cute, chic dining spot in Union Square area. Can't wait to visit their other locations. Mussels were cooked perfectly and paired with wonderful ingredients and flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant for a mussel loverBarbmarqDined on 3/9/2014You have to love mussels but if you do there is no where better. On my feedback form I wrote that they need to open in New Jersey. I love this restaurant but can only get there on special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmmmmmusselsfuzzytomatoDined on 3/8/2014I love this place. Food is always delicious. Ive had the Funghi, the bisque, the gratin. All delicious. One of my favorite seafood restaurants in the city. And the desserts. Love the donuts. My fave filling--s'mores. And the vanilla dipping sauce. Swoon.Special Features:
- Best mussels in the worldMetairieAlanDined on 3/2/2014Heard about this restaurant on Food Netetwork before our last trip from New Orleans. Was so impressed that we made it our first go to spot on this trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks took 25 minutes toOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/28/2014Drinks took 25 minutes to make. After the wait they were OK but waitress then forgot 2nd rd. Fried seafood appetizer was standard. Beet salad was good. Had Italiano and funghi mussels. Both were missing flavor and the actual mussels were small. In the end really disappointed
- 2nd time in 7 days!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014This place is so good that words do not describe. I was here with my buddy on Saturday night and the following Friday I took my girlfriend!. All the food is AMAZING! First time I was there I had the "Little Neck" <--AMAZING~ 2ND time I had the "Mexican" and my girlfriend had the "Parma" <---Both Amazing!! We also shared the Fish Tacos which were AMAZING!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels??? Really!!!!360sweaterVIPDined on 2/26/2014Never thought you could do so much with a Mussel Menu. Fantastic!!!! Fun casual dining on a focused and delicious mussel dominated menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing musselsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/24/2014loved this place. huge portions and great selection of different mussels as well as other seafood. will definitely return. we did the crab one with a basil cream broth - sooo yummy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicSinNicSinVIPDined on 2/22/2014Excellent food, haven't had clams and mussels this fresh since East Hampton. Waiter was friendly and knowledgeable...and he didn't get cranky when us newbies asked questions. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazinggKgkgkDined on 2/22/2014I would give this place 10000000 stars if I could.Special Features:
- Delicious!tracyVIPDined on 2/21/2014A special treat! Who coulda thunk the variety in mussels??? Delicious and great service. Need to try the whole menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.