Flex Mussels - 13th Street
154 West 13th St.
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Flex Mussels - 13th Street
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://flexmussels.com/
- Phone: 2122290222x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Tues - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30PM, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: Please join us for $20 all you can eat mussels from 5:30-7PM every night at the bar and counter only. Choice of Fra Diavolo, PEI or Classic. Fries and one draft beer included!
A word from Flex Mussels - 13th Street
Flex directly imports the highest quality Prince Edward Mussels, and we serve oysters that taste like you're kissing the sea!Continued
7 nights a week-bar and counter only 5:30-7PM Monday-Thursday, Fri-Sunday 5:00PM-7PM
7 nights a week-bar and counter only 5:30-7PM Monday-Thursday, Fri-Sunday 5:00PM-7PM
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Flex Mussels - 13th Street - Best Restaurants in West Village ›
Flex Mussels - 13th Street reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)neighborhood gem (110)hot spot (61)romantic (50)good for groups (45)special occasion (40)vibrant bar scene (27)great for outdoor dining (13)late-night find (11)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Love this placeMTMNYCDined on 7/29/2014This is my go-to place for a nice night out. The mussels are always great and there are so many varieties to choose from. Our server was spectacular, friendly and charming.Special Features:
- Best Seefood in NYCawhiteDined on 7/28/2014Some of the best service and seafood in NYC. Dessert was the best beignets I've outside New Orleans and France. Drinks were top notch as well.Special Features:
- Mussel UpOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Great selection of mussel preparation. Also good to see other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Food was deliciousAmyinthecityVIPDined on 7/25/2014I thought this was one of the best mussel dishes I ever had. I was disappointed that the fries did not come with the mussels. I have been to many restaurants this is the first restaurant that charged a comparable price to other restaurants that serve similar dishes without the fries! But the food itself was great!
- FLEX-ITFirstTimeAnassaVIPDined on 7/22/2014SO DELISH! GREAT HOSPITALITY BY ALL THANK YOU (ALL)Special Features:
- LizzyDined on 7/22/2014Our server, David was professional and attentive. He made great suggestions and was helpful with the menu. Mussels were amazing. I had the Thai and they were fresh and flavorful. Also loved the oyster shooter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!FoodiefromnjDined on 7/17/2014Been here several times now and it's always just great! Love the whole scene and the food couldn't be better!Special Features:
- The name says it allAshland68Dined on 7/16/2014We got 4 types. Thai and cleopatra were my favs. They do know how to do mussels. Oddly enough no one was impressed with any of the signature cocktails. Bit if mussels are what you crave... This is the place. Oh and the donuts were pretty tasty tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED LOVED LOVED!FoodiefromnjDined on 7/13/2014Great atmosphere but not loud or too hectic. I don't really love mussels but took my daughter as they are her favorite. Now I realize I love mussels prepared properly! Our waitress was great, we had the Dijon and the lobster mussels and argued over which one was more spectacular. Spicy salad to start was delicious and the truffle fries a must! Sangria was refreshing and definitely worth a try-delicious. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomehaitianhonieDined on 7/12/2014I recommend for groups of 6 or less. All around wonderful experience & cool vibe. You don't feel rushed and can really enjoy yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mussels I've ever had!!!!Kwizard78Dined on 7/12/2014If you don't like Mussels skip this restaurant because that is what makes up the majority of their menu. But if you love mussels, run here. These were some of the freshest and most delicious mussels I've ever tasted. I had the Thai Curry broth and it was outstanding. My whole party was raving over their meals.Special Features:
- Get another bartenderNotaCleanFreakVIPDined on 7/11/2014Waited 20 minutes for our drinks - our waiter was great but was thwarted by more managementI would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsCool1215Dined on 7/11/2014This was my second times in two weeks. I tried the Mexican style mussel the first time I was there and Thai style for the second time. I enjoyed both very much. I will come back again soon for more. Flex Mussels has different way of cooking mussels that makes it more enjoyable when you eat them. Don't for get the flex donuts. My favor ones are wildblueberies, salted caramel & lemon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique dining experiencePickyeaterDined on 7/5/2014The food at Flex Mussels is wonderful; a combination of inspired casual and chic; earthy, eclectic, sophisticated, yet simple and satisfying. If you enjoy mussels anyway, you can't go wrong here. If you're not sure, this is the place you will learn to love them, or there's no hope for you anywhere. And you must get the donuts, which are amazing and unlike any donuts you will find anywhere else. Mussels and donuts; who knew? Just another example of the creative pairings you will find here.Special Features:
- Amazing MusselslakeshoredriveVIPDined on 7/3/2014Great variety of flavors of mussels. Wine list is pretty good. Key Lime desert is really sweet, but great!Special Features:
- Our favoriteFoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2014Our favorite place in the city!!! Mussels are the best you can find in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionBrittDined on 7/2/2014Flex mussels is consistently on point and I have been obsessed ever since I went last summer for the first time. For every occasion, family member or friend in town, I always go. You don't even need to love mussels to enjoy this restaurant. The salads are amazing, the truffle french fries…may just be the best fries I have ever had, and the donuts…are actually the best donuts I have ever had. But aside from all the extra menu benefits, the actual mussels are phenomenal. Every preparation is better then the next. I have never not loved a pot yet! I am a huge foodie and constantly promote this restaurant on my nyc food blog www.brittsbestbites.blogspot.com and on instagram/twitter/Fb: @brittsbestbitesSpecial Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2014Food - terrific. Place - clean, pretty, nice. Service - excellent. Will most definitely return.Special Features:
- Strong musclesLorscotDined on 7/2/2014In NY with my son for July 4th weekend and heard good things about this place. Nice atmosphere and outstanding muscles. The oysters were also fantastic as an appetizer and the home made donuts for dessert finished off a superb meal. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Truly amazingMunchyDined on 7/1/2014The food was absolutely amazing & the service was truly impeccable. Will be back many, many times without a doubt!Special Features:
- FantasticbcamVIPDined on 6/30/2014This was my 4th or 5th time here and I'm only now getting around to writing a review. One of my favorite places in NYC to eat; a must for mussel lovers!Special Features:
- Good fun, good fun!BsweetDined on 6/25/2014You gotta love mussels, but who doesn't? I love the fun atmosphere, and the cocktail list is always great. This place is just yummy! Splurg on the whoopie pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 795 reviews are from the Flex Mussels - 13th Street reviews archive.
- Great FoodIworkinthebusinessDined on 6/20/2014But thats where it stops too loud poor service will try it again but probably sit outside
- First time food issueEllenDined on 6/20/2014I've been to Flex Mussels a few times, and always great. But this last time, not enough sauce was in the mussel pots, which seemed a bit skimpy. Fra diavolo sauce too bland and more warm than hot. However, upon our request, they brought more sauce which was tastier and oven hot. My sister's "special" lacked the chorizo it was supposed to have, and provided only 2 clams and 1 shrimp (should have been 2) for $8 more than basic mussels fra diavolo (it was mussels fra divolo with those extra items). Also note: the Happy Hour pricing only applies if you are seated at the bar (it's a good deal if you are one or two people -- $15 for full, regular sized pot of mussels plus an order of fries).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exactly What I Was ExpectingTammyDined on 6/18/2014Having read such great reviews online, I decided to go with 2 friends. We were not disappointed. Our meal was outstanding from beginning to end, starting with a great Hostess. The mussels were some of the best I've ever had, order the Thai Mussels - Outstanding! Our server was friendly and efficient and the food came out rather quickly. I didn't have the oysters this time around, but will definitely order next time, they looked so fresh. It was too hot that evening to eat outside, but the space looked great as the restaurant is on a quiet street. Great neighborhood to walk around afterwards. The donuts for dessert topped off a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!glendowerDined on 6/17/2014Delicious food. Better, probably, to go for happy hour. If you do, be sure to eat in the bar. There the mussels are $15 and come with fries. If you sit at a table, the mussels are $20+ and the fries are an extra $6.Special Features:
- Delicious casual mealqueenieDined on 6/15/2014The first thing you notice once you are seated in the dining room is the back photo-- it is dynamic and soothing all at the same time-- just as our meal was. This was out first time here, and it was much better than we were expecting . The oysters we started with were fresh and tasty, and we tried a new type recommended by our knowledgeable waiter. 3 out of 4 of us ordered the mussel pots- all 3 were very tasty and well prepared. And served with crusty French bread one would expect to find in France. The fourth diner had the fish and chips-- the batter on the fish was light and crisp, and the fish itself, very good. And the truffle fries-- delicious. Salad appetizers were also very good. No complaints whatsoever! Would definitely come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2014The service was polite and prompt. The food was flavorful and had a nice twist on a classic dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flex MusselsBillDined on 6/10/2014I found the mussels outstanding. I travel to Belgium regularly and found them comparable.Special Features:
- ChristineVIPDined on 6/8/2014This was not my first time at Flex and it definitely won't be my last. I am completely obsessed with Flex mussels and every time I go the food is amazing and this time was no different! It's one of my favorite restaurants in the city!!! Our waiter was fantastic and so personable! I love the new drink on the menu, Drunk in Love, it's dangerously deliciousSpecial Features:
- Good But Not GreatSarahDined on 6/6/2014The food is good, but leaves something to be desired. Of the entrees, I split the lobster roll and the crab cake with a friend, and while the lobster and crab meat was good, there was really no seasoning or additional flavor to it. I've had much better. The truffle fries were delicious. The portions are also pretty small, as though they're trying to be a nicer establishment than they are. The ambiance is very sterile, and not what I was expecting. While we did have a very late reservation, our waiter disappeared half-way through dinner (I assume his shift was up) and he wasn't replaced for a very long time (and with no explanation)--so we didn't have the opportunity to order another round of drinks, and we were just able to order dessert.
- Consistantly Good Musselsase1707VIPDined on 6/4/2014My wife and I dine here from time to time because dinner is always very good. Choosing between 23 preparations of mussels makes for a great dinner that just never gets boring. The fresh oysters to start and the truffle fries rounds out a good meal. Service is very good and professional and the ambiance is fun and energetic.Special Features:
- Great musselsMikeDined on 6/3/2014You go here for the mussels - they are very good and have many different prep methods. I've eaten here many times but during my most recent visit, found the broth to be very salty.Special Features:
- Big HitEddieDined on 5/31/2014Went to Flex after hearing good things about the selection of Mussels. The Mussels were absolutely fresh and sweet and tender and delicious. I had the Parma (truly notable) and my wife had he Dijon ( a bit rich but very, very tasty); there was not a single mussel left over. We started with a Fish Taco which was off the hook and served as a pair, so perfect for sharing. We ended the meal on a high note of 4 deliciously warm and very tasty DONUTS. I never would order donuts in a restaurant but these were truly extraordinary and a perfect sharing dessert. Flex Mussels was a great place to eat and the eating was great. The Maitre Di, the waiter and our bus boy were great at making you feel welcome and well looked after.Special Features:
- If You Love Mossels...CulinarySnobVIPDined on 5/31/2014then this is your spot. Delicious Kale salad, Bread and Butter, Daily Oysters and the Cleopatra Oysters were the best my wife has ever eaten. I had the Lobster Roll which comes with Fries and it was also great. Don't forget the Donuts and a Cap and you'll have a perfect evening. Anyone who complains about the food or service at this place should come back again, as they will not be disappointed. Our sever (John) could not have been nicer or more helpful, 5 Stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014GREAT OUTSTANDING IF YOU LIKE MUSSELS THIS IS THE PLACE TO GOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent.DINO127Dined on 5/30/2014This is the premier spot for mussels in NYC, hands down!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent combinations!eatsEverythingDined on 5/24/2014The Thai mussels were delicious, but just about every combination on the menu looked fantastic. Make sure to order the donuts for dessert!Special Features:
- Dinner at FlexMusselsOrDieDined on 5/23/2014Excellent Mussels as always. Ruined mussels for me at all other restaurants. Tables are packed tight together so you are usually really close to neighboring couples, especially if you are a party of two. Waiter was fine, usually we have had a much friendlier waiter; however, by no means was he rude in any way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and great serviceLizFDined on 5/23/2014Recently went to Flex and had a GREAT experience. All of the app's and everyone's meals were delicious. I also have to call out my drink -- the Bumblebee... SO GOOD. The service was excellent too -- our waiter was kind and attentive, but not overbearing. Overall an A+ experience.I would recommend this to a friend.