395 Santa Monica Place, #305N
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
La Sandia - Santa Monica
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.richardsandoval.com/lasandiasm/
- Phone: 3103933300x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily 4pm - close
Happy Hour: Sunday-Friday All Night Happy Hour at the Tequila Bar and Lounge.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Eduardo Barrios
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: La Sandia offers a variety of semi-private and private dining experiences: host an intimate dinner at our Chef's table; celebrate with handcrafted cocktails on our outdoor patio, which features unparalleled views of the Promenade; progress from the Tequila Bar to a seated lunch or dinner in the dining room, where a retractable roof and open skies create a festive, courtyard setting. Our private event menus and Tequila Bar packages showcase the best of La Sandia's modern Mexican cuisine and cocktails. For details, contact our Private Event Manager or visit www.richardsandoval.com.
- Private Party Contact: Kandis Leigh 818-751-3053x
- Cross Street: Broadway Blvd & 3rd Street
- Public Transit: The Santa Monica Big Blue Bus and Rapid 3 stops regularly in front of the Santa Monica Place mall at the corner of 4th and Broadway. For full schedule and information, please visit: http://bigbluebus.com/busroutes/schedule.asp?bus_route=33&dayofweek=weekdays
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: conveniently
At La Sandia, internationally acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval uses innovative culinary techniques and fresh, local ingredients to raise authentic Mexican recipes to new heights. Enjoy Chef Sandoval's modern Mexican flavors with selections from our Tequila Bar - we offer over 100 Tequilas and Mezcals, as well as handcrafted margaritas. Warm, Latin-inspired service will round out your experience. Buen provecho y salud!
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
- Excellent food, poor servicevtvalenzDined on 12/26/2012Excellent food, except for the crispy rice. The quesos fundidos with mushrooms and chorizo were AMAZING. The tortillas are excellent, very fresh. The service was terrible! The server never brought my daughter's dessert (not charged though) but were charged for husband's birthday dessert (removed from check when we asked about it). We waited a long time between ordering appetizers and entrees, and waited almost 15 minutes from the time we received the check to the time we paid it. I complained to the manager who is trying hard to train the servers, and he is the longest standing manager of 3 1/2 months.Special Features:
- Hostess was unbelievably rudeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2012Hostess was unbelievably rude and mean, and even though we had a reservation, would not seat us until everyone else who had not had a reservation, got seated. We ended up getting seated way after our reservation time. We complained to the manager and he gave us a few free appetizers. So after that everything was fine. Would probably not go here again because of that.Special Features:
- Good place for Mexican food.PaulVIPDined on 11/26/2012Good place for Mexican food. Sometimes inconsistent. But usually very good.
- i've dined at La Sandia, manycosmicgirlDined on 9/13/2012i've dined at La Sandia, many times and it never fails to impress. Beautiful food. Interesting drinks and warm friendly service. Love the place.Special Features:
- Not bad food but blah restaurant.Live2EatVIPDined on 8/13/2012Table side guacamole was a joke. It consisted of the waitress mashing the avocado with a soap spoon into a bowl already filled with the other ingredients. The mushroom flat bread was very good but the main dishes were no better than average. When the waitress brought the check, I asked for the dessert menu and was told the kitchen closed 25 minutes ago. I thought this was outrageous because they accepted a 9 PM reservation. The service was blah and not particularly attentive. Would not recommend.
- We had not been to the diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2012We had not been to the dining deck at Santa Monica Place before our visit to La Sandia, and it was a very enjoyable experience. The restaurant is very open and airy with a lot of variety in the seating/table options. There is enough space between tables/parties so that it is not loud. Our favorite item was the sweet corn tamale-the rest of the food was great as well however the sweet corn tamale was an unexpected gem. the menu has classic favorites but also has some unique touches as well. We also felt that the prices were reasonable for the restaurant type.
- Good food and service. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2012Good food and service. The salsa is awesome! Guac made at the table. Sweet corn tamales were delicious. We'll be back!Special Features:
- My fave spot in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/3/2012I love this restaurant. It covers a few key bases for me (I live in the neighborhood): 1) It's perfect for a business lunch in that oh-so-L.A. sort of way. 2) It's perfect for romantic dinner or brunch with friends 3) It's perfect for taking out-of-town visitors who want that whole "eating outdoors" thing... breeze, palm tree views, blue skies. 4) Just craving a margarita? Cozy up to the bar. 5) Really excellent & flavorful Mexican food, every single time. If you're there on a weekend at night it's gonna be crowded, and that's when things inside get a little too noisy. So if you want a quiet romantic dinner, come on the late side during the week. Or if you're lucky and can get an outside table on one of the 2 patios, you'll beSpecial Features:
- The food has been excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/5/2012The food has been excellent both times I've gone. The service has been extremely friendly but has been slow both times. Due to the slowness of service each time, we have been comped churros by the manager without having asked. That has made the wait more than worth it!Special Features:
- Bad service. We barely sawOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/22/2012Bad service. We barely saw hour waiter. When he did show up, he would get the orders wrong. Our one course dinner took over two hours. Food was below average. Very bland. My steak was over cooked. It's too bad the food and service are not good here because the decor is very nice.
- Disappointing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2012My husband an I were looking forward to dining there before we went to Cirque Du Soliel. We were seated right away as we had reservations. The waiter was great, the margaritas were good, but the food was tasteless. I had carnitas tacos and my tortillas were linp and dripping in oil! The carnitas meat had very little flavor and the beans were blah. I'm Mexican and I cook mexican food and this is not traditional mexican food. We will not dine there again.
- Restaurant was great. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Restaurant was great. The flowers ordered from the link in reservation e-mail, was not 100%. The flowers arrived in poor condition, almost dead to be exact. Luckily the restaurant went out of their way to replace the flowers. The restaurant itself was a great experience.Special Features:
- Go for margaritas, chips andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/2/2012Go for margaritas, chips and salsa; skip dinner - too expensive and underwhelming; might be good for lunch on a beautiful spring/summer day in Santa Monica. Still there are so many other wonderful and better places for Mexican/Spanish and/or similar fusion foods in Los Angeles!Special Features:
- Will not returnOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/20/2012Food was ok,beans and rice were bland and had no taste.not what you would expect from a well known chef. Service was horrible, never once got a drink refill. Never saw our waitress after we ordered until we flagged someone down to get the bill, then she returned.Other staff brought out the food, she never even checked on us after the food came out to make sure it was right.
- La Sandia--too big for its britchesCanyongalDined on 1/16/2012Food was overpriced. Drinks weak. Boring atmosphere. Mexican food shouldn't be so 'highbrow'.
- killer salsa, the chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/2/2012killer salsa, the chicken dishes are amazing, try to creamed rice, the service is always really slow, they don't refill drinks including water, and they only bring one basket of chips and salsaSpecial Features:
- Very good upscale MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2011Very good upscale Mexican food! Drinks are good and the service is great. Nights in Santa Monica can be cold and the "open flow" of the restaurant can be a bit chilly...food is a bit expensive but well worth it.Special Features:
- The best salsa ever! It'sLAfoodie2Dined on 12/28/2011The best salsa ever! It's smoky with just the perfect amount of spice. Perfection!Special Features:
- Even with a reservation fordanceaJEGVIPDined on 12/20/2011Even with a reservation for 5 they placed us at a dining room table for 12. When we asked them for a different table they said none were available, although less than 10 minutes later several large booths around our giant table opened up. Our waiter seemed incredibly stressed and his visits were few & far between. It took them a long time to even take our drink order and only brought one basket of chips for the long table they made us sit at. The guacamole was really good & the house margarita was great but the main dishes were nothing special.Special Features:
- A PA review of La SandiaLMS4500Dined on 12/14/2011We thought the margaritas which they are noted for were superb. The food was excellent and the guacamole made at table side was to die for, the roasted corn soup, LaSandia salad, the chicken, all fresh and excellent. The noise that night was a bit much due to a Christmas party as can be expected at parties.Special Features:
- It's a nice place to hangOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 12/9/2011It's a nice place to hang out. The bar area was hopping but we got a table. We sat outside and it was cozy. The food was just okay. Our server needs more experience. He did a disappearing act and then later on, he became very attentive. I don't know if he was able to calm down and be of great service or he wants us to leave the place. There was no wait and there were several tables available so I don't know.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2011Very disappointed with the entire dining experience. Food was mediocre, the menu reads guacamole made tableside, but the guy bring everything in a bowl , tosses tomatoes, onions and avacadoes with a fork and that's it. Chips were stale and cold. They have a huge wrought iron chandelier that is not lit up to add warmth and ambience. The fountain is not running...The only good thing i have to say is the drinks were good. Very expensive for what u get...Think twice before going if u really are looking for good authentic mexican food.
- Really wasn't impressed. TheamycarolwolffDined on 10/13/2011Really wasn't impressed. The waiter had an attitude and that tainted the remainder of the evening.
- WE were there for lunch andDebbieWhVIPDined on 10/13/2011WE were there for lunch and it was almost empty, so the atmosphere was great. Loved our table and the wait staff was nice. We ordered salads, as it was a hot day. That was a mistake. They are nothing special, and were a bit disappointing.
- We went to celebrate my Birthay.cosmicgirlDined on 10/13/2011We went to celebrate my Birthay. And everything was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- An upscale Mexican restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/10/2011An upscale Mexican restaurant with an interesting menu & atmosphere, with a price point to match. Food was quite good although their fajita portion was rather skimpy and the pork chop dry. Our service was exceptional and their salsa, the best I've ever had. I often bring my own wine to a restaurant so I didn't appreciate the $25 corkage fee. All in all, worth a try.
- Not quite the authentic cucinaOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2011Not quite the authentic cucina food I was looking for, but good none the less.Special Features:
- Service from the waiters isPaulVIPDined on 9/6/2011Service from the waiters is always a little lacking here, but the food is outstanding. Manager is great.Special Features:
- We are visiting LA and wereJerseyFoodieVIPDined on 8/17/2011We are visiting LA and were looking for good Mexican food in Santa Monica. La Sandia fit the bill. The food was great. Outstanding guacamole! A really good Margarita. Energetic without being too noisy.
- Great guacamole and watermelonOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/4/2011Great guacamole and watermelon juice! Recommended for lunch!Special Features:
- The food was FANTASTIC! IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/28/2011The food was FANTASTIC! I love Mexican food and I've eaten at nearly every Mexican restaurant in Los Angeles, La Sandia just moved to the top of my list. The only negative was our waiter. Not very attentive. However, there was a gentleman, I don't know who he was (manager?) came to our table several times to check on us, he was wonderful. So even though the waiter wasn't at his best, that wouldn't stop me from eating at La Sandia, a great spot!Special Features:
- Asked to sit outside a perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/1/2011Asked to sit outside a perfect California afternoon. Views of the Third Street Promenade were interesting. Tableside prepared guacamole was delectable, and although I found the food delicious it lacked a touch of heat.Special Features:
- Underwhelming...BretttinlaDined on 6/9/2011La Sandia is simply underwhelming - no other way to describe it. The food is decent, but not what you would expect from a notable chef in an incredible location. The staff is nice, but they don't go out of the way to make you feel welcome. I am writing this review after 4 visits over the past 6 months, so it isn't based upon one experience. I choose La Sandia for location and outdoor dining, but would not dine there if I weren't meeting friends at Santa Monica Place.Special Features:
- Food was delicious and soOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2011Food was delicious and so were the drinks ;).Entire staff was very friendly and attentive. Would definitely return to again.Special Features:
- Nice Mexican restaurant inSofiaVIPDined on 5/6/2011Nice Mexican restaurant in the new Santa Monica Mall. The food was good, the service not so much. One of our dishes was wrong, and we had to wait an additional 20 minutes for the correct dish to be served.
- All else pales when comparedRobertVIPDined on 5/5/2011All else pales when compared to the wonderful table side guacamole.
- Convenient location and parking.lunchanddinnerDined on 4/21/2011Convenient location and parking. The food was par.
- Great Restaurant. ServicePaulVIPDined on 4/4/2011Great Restaurant. Service could have been a lot better on this visit, but in general, it is great.Special Features:
- The service was great andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2011The service was great and the staff was even better!Special Features:
- Unique Mexican cuisine. WarmOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/28/2011Unique Mexican cuisine. Warm service. Good drinks. Great option for interesting Mexican dining.Special Features: