Searsucker Downtown San Diego
611 5th Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Searsucker Downtown San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.searsucker.com/
- Phone: 6192337327x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm (reservations recommended)
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am-2:00pm (no reservations necessary)
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 10:00am-2:00pm (reservations recommended)
Bar: Everyday 5:00pm- last call
Happy Hour: Monday-Friday: 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brian Malarkey
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: DJ Thursday-Saturday
- Special Events: For private dining inquiries, please contact Mikki@ehgrp.com
A word from Searsucker Downtown San Diego
Seated in the heart of the Gaslamp District, Searsucker serves New American Classic cuisine paired with specialty cocktails and unique local brews.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Searsucker Downtown San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Searsucker Downtown San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
211 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (127)hot spot (123)good for groups (103)vibrant bar scene (89)special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (44)romantic (28)late-night find (27)great for brunch (27)great for outdoor dining (24)notable wine list (19)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (3)Show More
- MaureenDined on 8/31/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our evening...service was perfect with spot on recommendations. We enjoyed every bite from appetizers (and many of them) to entrees! No rush either.Special Features:
- BAD SERVICE AND COLD FOODTerribleDined on 8/31/2014When we got there the Hostess was upset because I requested another seat that wasn't so close to the kitchen. That was the beginning of a bad experience, she had a very bad attitude! It took forever for the waitress to take our order. When we finally got food, my dish was cold! I asked her to please have the cook warm it up and that took another 20+ minutes. Assuming they cooked a new dish since it took so long, but they obviously put it in the microwave, but it must have sat in kitchen took long, because it was cold…AGAIN! Oh, and when they say "bottomless" mimosa they mean It literally...empty, empty, empty glass, it took forever to come back and refill.
- a fish called flavorlessmichaeljrDined on 8/29/2014I thought you were supposed to taste your food :'(Special Features:
- Disappointedmimicrosby814VIPDined on 8/26/2014This restaurant was recommended by a friend who lives in the area. Because of that, 3 of us made small group reservations equally a total of 25 from our conference dining there on the same evening. When we arrived, the restaurant was not overly busy/full yet the hostess stand made us feel like we were being an inconvenience to them even though we all had reservations. It took forever for them to figure out how to seat us and then we got semi-decent service from a waitress that didn't seem to want to be working that evening. The food was flavorful but not overly impressive.Special Features:
- Place was jumpin'Robbie1208Dined on 8/23/2014Packed at the bar and in the restaurant. Nice menu, good quality food but lacked the service to match the price point. Still very worth experiencing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boom-Boom-BoomNHFCDined on 8/20/2014Let's start with the positive: the waitress was terrific. She quickly took to the banter my husband dished out, and she was enthusiastic about the food. We thought she was a real pro at her job. However, the food was so-so. They claim to be farm to table, but that seems to be a buzzword they throw in there to attract foodies. Best part was the cheddar bites, but the a la carte menu leaves one pining away for vegetables on the side. The worst part of the evening was the music. Somebody who works there has a humming jones for subwoofers, and the bass nearly blasted us out of our seats. If you plan on having a conversation at this place, forget about it. To end with a positive, the steak was cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Awkward NightRobarooDined on 8/16/2014Arrived early, checked in and grabbed a drink at the bar. When no one came to claim us after our reservation time passed, so we approached the desk again. Same woman helped us and acted as if she'd never seen us. Not sure anyone would have come to find us in the bar. Then our appetizers came quickly (server was nice) but we waited at least 45 mins for SALADS. Server claims he did not put in the order since we hadn't finished one of our appetizers. Didn't even consider we didn't like the appetizer. Just seemed like we were out of sync. Of course all the young folks seemed to get their food and server when needed. I had raved so much to the friends I brought about this restaurant. Good thing we have a since of humor.Special Features:
- Not what I remember, rude hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014I returned to Seasucker about a year after having a really good experience (my 5th overall), I was eager to return but was unfortunately disappointed with my experience. When we arrived the restaurant was relatively empty, the hostess took us to a table in the corner and we asked if we could sit at a different table. She grabbed our menus, walked to the other table, dropped them on the table and walked away. She never looked at us again...I would have rather she said "no, i can't move you" than be disrespectful and unprofessional. Although we were all a little taken back when we realized she was wearing Lululemon workout pants. It was an awful introduction to the night, the food was marginally impressive, more misses than hits.
- Service always a little offLuvtoeatDTSDVIPDined on 8/10/2014Food and ambiance great. i have eaten here several times and said I'd never go back because of very indifferent service. A friend wanted to go there for the first time form out of town and I relunctantly agreed. Servers have a very indifferent attitude and is not consistent with the prices, ambiance, and reputation of seersucker. they act as if they are doing the favor by "allowing" me to eat there rather than appreciative that I have chosen to eat there.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2014I have been to Searsucker many times for dinner and loved it! So, I decided to try brunch. The service was horrible. We had 10am reservations and the place was empty. They finally took our order at 10:45 and we got our good around 11:15. The food was cold. I was sooooo disappointed because this has always been one of my favorite places. I will probably go back for dinner but I will skip their brunch.
- Food was just so-soEatsDined on 8/4/2014For the prices at Searsucker, the quality of the food just didn't match. The appetizers were much better than the entrees so it might be better to just share several of those as your meal. The drinks were delicious as well. But I have to say I'm just not sure what all the hype is about at Searsucker. There are way better places throughout San Diego. I was actually pretty disappointed. I went with a group of 4 and none of our entrees were very good, especially considering each of them were over $30. I definitely won't be going back.Special Features:
- food is amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014too loud for a dinner for 12...noise level a little high...Special Features:
- Super tasty!BennyfanaticDined on 8/2/2014Try the crab benedict with avocado. Prices are reasonable and the food is good quality. Ambiance is nice and the wait staff are friendly. The coffee could be a tiny bit stronger but I think that's more a matter of personal taste. The muddier the better in my opinion. My husband and I are planning to make brunch at the Searsucker a regular thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambiance!Chirsty1Dined on 8/1/2014We loved the view and the interior design of this place. We split a bunch of appetizers and enjoyed some amazing lavender moscow mules to drinKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great way to start the weekend!lovesfoodDined on 8/1/2014The mussels done with chorizo and a beer broth were the starter for the table...they're served with crusty bread to do up the broth. Might as well ask for more bread right up front because you want to get all the broth. We also had the melt-in-your-mouth short ribs. The beet and radish salad was good but not spectacular. The pork butt with. roasted peaches and bacon was sumptuous. Two others at the table eenjoyed this as well. The halibut was a winner as was the hanger steak. A wonderful meal for our 3rd visit...we have not been disappointed. Looking forward to our next SD visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and bar for SDMohammedDined on 7/30/2014Great combination of a good food, a great bar, and great drinks. Service was excellent. Perfect for large groups. Service was awesome, and food came out quick and high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What?BeedyBoDined on 7/30/2014Love the food and the service is great but it's so loud that you have to shout to be heard across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowLove4foodDined on 7/27/2014Go here every year while in town for Comic-Con. Excellent food!I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service, not much elseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014Very fast, friendly service . Unfortunately the food was mostly under seasoned and expensive. My chimichurri was non existent and the steak it was on desperately needed a little salt. The service set a good tone that the food couldn't match. Not worth the relatively high cost.Special Features:
- Delicious, what's with the volume?JenneatsDined on 7/26/2014The food and cocktails were wonderful and the decor charming. The music was so loud we had to shout at each other -- fine for a club but not for dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Fresh Fare & Hip Rest...EegyecatsVIPDined on 7/26/2014Concise menu yet can fit most to all people's dietary needs! Delicious cocktails, inventive. Great waitstaff - I went for lunch during their busiest weekend during San Diego Comic Con and our waiter was fast/efficient/friendly. Loved it - took clients there and they said it was a great choice.Special Features:
- YUM!NanaDined on 7/25/2014Everytime I come to San Diego, I must visit searsucker. Never disappoints! Ran out of the bone marrow, but the waiter suggested the pork belly, which was even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prevous Searsucker dinerLisainRamona1Dined on 7/25/2014Friday evening...Comic Con...outside table for six at Searsucker..who could ask for more!? Oh, best waiter and bus person. Spot on with recommendations, attentiveness and courtesy. Food/bites were delicious and perfect for sharing/grazing while people watching and catching up on events of the day. Thanks to Searsucker for the memorable close to our day!Special Features:
- Best Spot in San DiegoOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/24/2014I always make it a point to come to Searsucker every time i visit San Diego. I love sitting on their patio to people watch and enjoy the amazing food. Its a little quieter outside on the patio too, which I prefer for having a conversationSpecial Features:
- Searsucker during Comic ConKrisDined on 7/22/2014We went to Searsucker while we were in town for Comic Con and it was amazing! The mussels in a beer broth with chorizo were some of the best mussels I`ve ever eaten. Everything we ate and drank was amazing. The restaurant was packed so the noise level was a little high but nothing that prevented us from talking. I can`t recommend it enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Absolutely wonderful experience from start to finish. First time dining downtown SD and would absolutely go back/recommend to friends. Ambience, food, service was all top notch. Very fun experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our dinning experience.SugarsimpsDined on 7/19/2014Waited 7+ minutes for our waiter, Eric, to greet us- had to track him down from another server. He would disappear for extended periods of time throughout the night. He forgot my husbands coffee and came back with it late saying he had to make coffee which is hard to believe at such a busy venue. I ordered my steak medium rare- first steak was well done. The second steak was completely raw and it was a bad cut (tough gristle in the middle) so I just gave up and didn't ask for a third steak. That caught managements attention so they finally paid attention to our experience and gave us free dessert. Overall, it's a great space but for the money, the food and service was sub-par. We love locally and probably won't go again.Special Features:
- Amazing Food - Great for SharingNTHKDined on 7/18/2014We had a group of 5 gals for a bachelorette party. There were many large groups there as well and the restaurant is quite large so they were able to accommodate quite a bit of people. The restaurant decor is very hip/trendy. Even with how busy they were, the service was pretty great. The food options were even better. Lots of innovative dishes and options to choose from. A few of us gals ordered lots of small plates to share. We had one who needed to order a separate entree due to her dietary restrictions and there were plenty of options for her to choose as well. The chicken lollipops were delish!!! I still have dreams about them. Not cheap but worth it. Definitely a great place to go if you want good food and fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- nice happy hour and dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/18/2014Went early for happy hour at the bar. Had some cocktails and appetizers before dinner. All of the drinks were nicely made and reduced in price. Would recommend relaxing on the couches in the bar. Moved over to the restaurant and had a couple more small plates that were not on the happy hour menu. Would return.Special Features:
- Great find!PoppaBear17Dined on 7/17/2014Was in town for vacation and found this great gem! Awesome food and a great vibe. The waitress was great and always asking us if we needed anything. Very attentive.Special Features:
- A Wonderful Surprise!MinneapolisfoodieDined on 7/11/2014We had tickets for Othello but wanted to explore Coronado before we left town, I accidentally made reservations here as it was on our to eat places from local friends. We kept the reservations since it was closer to Balboa Park where we were seeing Othello and we were loved it! The food was wonderful , they knew we had play tickets so kept our food coming at a steady pace. The food was fresh and fun. We ate outside, because we always do whenever we can since we are from Minnesota. It was so fun people watching in the gaslight area! Everyone looked happy, spiffy and were having a fabulous time. Way to go Seersucker, we are fans!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCdsmittyDined on 7/8/2014My wife and I had dinner during our honeymoon. The food was great, and the atmosphere felt like you had found a local gem. The staff was very friendly, even bringing over complimentary sparkling when they heard about the occasion. No concerns over noise level at all, highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Space Great FoodTCSHeightsDined on 7/8/2014While on vacation in San Diego, we decided to try Searsucker after seeing it while out shopping. It didn't disappoint. Cool space. Waitstaff was attentive but relaxed (in a good way). While scarfing down the complimentary cheese puffers, we decided to order 4 of the small plates. The shrimp and grits was by far our favorite although the other offerings were solid. I didn't really get into the mushrooms and toast, but that probably reflects how full I was at that point more than the dish. (Next time maybe just 2-3 small plates.) We couldn't leave without a dessert, and Searsucker's play on S'mores was delicious. Even though we were beyond full, we cleaned the dessert plate. Also loved the wine list.Special Features:
- Downtown HotspotSueJDined on 7/7/2014This was a large restaurant but had a bar area, a more private dining space as well as the main restaurant. Great ambience, excellent service and lovely food. Would definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing steak!luvfood27Dined on 7/6/2014Everything we had was delicious, but most notably was the filet! You could seriously cut it without effort with a butter knife. Magnifique!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticylin89Dined on 7/6/2014I had found this place on Yelp as a good place for brunch, and I am so happy that we went. The host was laid-back and friendly, calmly setting up a four-seater outside for the five of us because my aunt wanted to bring her dog. We all ordered different dishes and they were all delicious. I especially loved the green eggs and ham that I ordered: it was a fatty piece of pork cooked to perfection and served atop an egg-in-the-hole-style toast. I could have cried. The waitress refilled my cousin's orange juice when requested, and everyone was just accommodating and lovely. Definitely go. Their cocktail menu also looks spectacular, although we didn't try any when we were there. If I lived in SD, I would be here every weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterTooSpicy4myKidsDined on 7/6/2014Overall, we had a good brunch. However, we had 2 issues with the brunch. First of all, our reservation was at 10:30am, a full half hour after bruch starts. Several of us had seen the "man-mosa" online and wanted to try it, but our sever told us "the purees were not ready." He never came back to tell us when they were ready, so we all had coffee and a sober brunch. Everyone liked their food, except for me. I ordered the crab, lemon, and avocado Benedict. The eggs come on cheddar biscuts, the crabcake is totally seperate. it is not a crab benedict. it is cheddar benedict with a crab cake on the side. you should put that on a different part of the menu.Special Features:
- NDtoSDDined on 7/6/2014Small portions, poor service, expensive and great drinks
- Started ok, ended HORRIBLY!RodoDined on 7/5/2014I went to Sskr with my GF. Made the reserv for 2. Got there 10PM. The host immediately took us to a table for 2, the majority of the tables were for parties of 4 or more. They show us our table, right next to a STEEL POLE that was at least 6 inches wide,it blocked our view to the side. We ordered drinks and dinner After our dinner, we decide to pay our check and move to a table closer to the bar. Suddenly this security guy comes to us and tells us those tables are for reservations only, and if we can please abandon the table and go to the bar. After just spending $200 dlls I was already being kicked out! I was furious! I complained to the guy and exited the restaurant! I still can't believe they treat their customers like trash.
- Not on a Saturday nightLisainRamona1Dined on 7/5/2014We left the Padre game early to make our Saturday night, eight o'clock reservation and were very please that our table for six was spot-on ready for us. Unfortunately, we left upon being seated because of the deafening noise level. We couldn't even hear amongst our group to decide whether or not to leave - that was enough right there to tell us to go. Having been there on a Tuesday evening in April, and having a fantastic birthday dinner (60th celebration), we decided to bring back guests to share our previous positive experience. We will return, but not with guests and not on a Saturday night. We were pleased we were able to find another spot in the Gaslamp without a reservation by 9 o'clock that same night though!