190 Massachusetts Ave.
Arlington, MA 02474Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.florarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7816411664
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bob Sargent
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Flora is happy to cater events of any type and size. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Flora offers a private dining room that can seat up to 36 people! Other options include reserving the bar, cafe, main dining room or the entire restaurant! Choose from one of our preset menus or order from our seasonally changing restaurant menu! See the Private Dining link on our website or contact our Event Manager Megan Harrington for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Private Party Contact: Megan Harrington 7816411664
- Entertainment: Flora's Music Series - Live and Free Music performed while you dine featuring great local acts every Thursday! Most music starts at 8pm. Dinner Reservations are recommended for the best seats!
Flora features an upscale, white tablecloth dining room dramatically housed in a restored bank with 30' vaulted ceilings, 20 foot windows and an open kitchen!
Flora also offers a more casual option in their Bar and Cafe with lighter fare options and high top tables that look out over the bustling town! While there is a TV in the bar, it only goes on for our local teams! ;)
A word from Flora
Chef/owner Bob Sargent creates menus drawing on American classics with French and Italian influences. Many of his dishes include seasonal vegetables and local foods, especially seafood and farm products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Flora - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Flora reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (50)special occasion (49)romantic (34)good for groups (27)notable wine list (10)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Lovely decor, disappointing mealCelebratingoutDined on 2/9/2014Only one person in our party of five enjoyed their food. We each left a puddle of oil at the bottom of our plates. Two people had stomach aches -- not from the taste, but from the abundance of oils used in the preparation. The presentation was appetizing, the staff was quite nice, the decor is lovely, and we even found convenient parking on-street. But we won't be returning.
- bank on good foodproseDined on 2/9/2014the squash apple soup was creative & delicious, the haddock equally tasty & all presented beautifullySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely spot for a terrific dinner3sistersVIPDined on 2/8/2014Had the mushroom risotto and the half chicken. Fabulous.Special Features:
- Flora -- Not to be MissedarlingtonpikesDined on 2/8/2014We came as two in a party of six for dinner on Saturday night. We were seated at a large, round table in what used to be the Arlington Five Cent Bank, an incredibly beautiful room. The food is superb, there were choices that pleased everyone in the party, service was excellent and we were sated and happy when we left. The specials were given along with the prices, which is somewhat unusual and very much appreciated. There's a good wine list (including Prosecco) and a choice of having a 1/2 dinner portion, which makes having an appetizer more attractive. I'm not sure what else I can say about Flora except that my husband and I have chosen to eat our last two anniversary dinners there, so yes, it is a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experienceDickDined on 2/4/2014Excellent dining experience in a local setting. Definitely worth the drive from surrounding towns.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Cuisine on special occasionTonyDined on 2/4/2014Very tasty dishes. Waiter very good. Not inexpensive. Former bank side is quieter than the bar side.Special Features:
- Dinner at FloraSalsaVIPDined on 1/31/2014I had the kale salad, which was delicious, followed by the beef daube, which was melt in the mouth tender. I really appreciated that portions were filling without being outsized. My dinner companion and I also split the Rhode Island calamari, served on a bed of watercress, one if my favorite greens. The only complaint was that the calamari was not cooked perfectly. My friend ordered the kale salad and stuffed acorn squash and was thrilled with both. I ended the evening with the toasted coconut creme brûlée, which delicious. I didn't care for the lime shortbread, especially since the cookie came swimming in the caramel sauce from the brûlée. In summary - minor, forgivable missteps, but a great meal nonetheless, with attentive service.Special Features:
- White tablecloth dining inOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/26/2014White tablecloth dining in a very nice atmosphere. My skate wing special meal was excellent with a very nice presentation, but the cornmeal haddock my husband ordered was very pedestrian. Another diner said his daube of beef was good, but the meat portion was quite small and hardly filled him up. I ordered the dessert special of a pear tart and, again, excellent. Prices were decent with all entrees under $30. Service was good and waiter was knowledgeable. Of the three meals served, the special far surpassed the others, so perhaps it would be wise to stick to the specials.Special Features:
- Suju's TableQualityFirstVIPDined on 1/24/2014Our great experience last Friday evening started right from the time Suju greeted us to say she was our server. She helped to make the evening special. The fried oysters and mussels were especially good as was the skate special. Although we had no room for dessert, we ordered two of the special pear tarts and demolished them without any difficulty. They were very tasty. This is a special restaurant which seeks to provide a diverse menu and serves quality food well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food! Perfect service!SallyBDined on 1/21/2014We dined there for a birthday dinner. It was so delicious. Every bite was savored. Great spot for Arlington. The service was perfect. Not too intrusive but just as you thought of something you might need they were right there with it. It was a really pleasurable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great go-to spotbriggsyDined on 1/18/2014From our interesting new cocktails at the bar to our very lovely dinner, it was all wonderful. The We had the special swordfish (which I'd love as a regular. Yum) and the monkfish. As usual the service is friendly and perfect despite it being Saturday and very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ready for prime timeepicuriusDined on 1/15/2014Fine for the neighborhood, but not ready to compete with Cambridge's greatsSpecial Features:
- Flora Never FailsKathleenDined on 1/15/2014As usual, an outstanding dining experience. I ordered the breast of duck and my companion ordered the wonderful winter dish the daube of beef. Superb entrees in a comfortable and friendly setting. A very special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good foodmikbergDined on 1/11/2014Our first time at Flora. Innovative menu, great service, very tasty food, nice decor, good wine list, convenient to Boston theatres and greater Arlington residents. A little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShockedPattiDined on 1/8/2014The food was very good and we had a nice time. The thing that shocked me was that we both had club soda and they charged us $12 for small servings. They gave us refills which we did not ask for and the total was $12 for us to each have two glasses of club soda. I ate at another restaurant with equally good food, larger servings and larger glasses of club soda which cost $1.75 each including refills. Might seem like a silly thing to complain about, however, just thought the price was way out of line.
- as good as I rememberedRichmondFoodieVIPDined on 1/6/2014I live out of state and hadn't been to Flora's for several years. It was as good as I remembered, even with a much-changed menu. The pork belly salad was outstanding and I appreciated the option of a single lamb chop for a main course. It was a cold night, and slow in the restaurant, which may have enhanced the quiet atmosphere.Special Features:
- thank youmastiffmamaDined on 1/4/2014This was the perfect choice for a quiet family birthday celebration. Everyone left happy - quite a feat! We hope to be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect!MelyssaDined on 1/4/2014Fresh, beautiful food made with love. Warm, welcoming staff. I made a Saturday night reservation for myself and my boyfriend via Open Table the DAY OF our meal and requested a "quiet corner table" if possible. They were not only aware of my request when we arrived but they gave us THE perfect table and really seemed to want to make our evening as lovely as possible. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Consistently Delicious ChoiceCelebratorDined on 12/31/2013My husband and I ate a delicious dinner at Flora on NYE and were highly satisfied. Food is always extremely good, and the staff is always friendly and accommodating. We have been here a number of times, and each time are happy that we came. Always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great teamOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2013The best thing about Flora is that from the moment you arrive and throughout your entire experience you get the sense that the restaurant has a great team. Everyone has a genuine sense of hospitality and it is clear that the staff is happy to work there. The food and service were amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So happy they are in ArlingtonGrandmahannahVIPDined on 12/27/2013Very nice place to go with visitors. Homey with excellent food and service.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant, itLynnDined on 12/21/2013My favorite restaurant, it is always good food and service.Special Features:
- Great find, we had a wonderfulSnowquestDined on 12/14/2013Great find, we had a wonderful meal this past Saturday night. It was a big snow storm and we had most of the place to ourselves, which was nice as we could be a bit boisterous. The food was wonderful, the duck Prosciutto is delicious and the special Braised Lamb Shanks were perfect for a snowy night.Special Features:
- Delicious, never disappoints!elzabDined on 12/14/2013Love this restaurant! Refined, healthy cuisine with interesting combinations.Special Features:
- pretty goodhungrymanDined on 12/8/2013I've had better meals at Flora. The quality was good as usual, but not inspired. Portions a bit skimpy. The wine was right on the edge of turning and the wait staff seemed relatively unconcerned about it. I like Flora and will go backSpecial Features:
- Great service and good foodDiningDetailsDined on 12/7/2013Four of us went for dinner for my husband's birthday, The servers were all very accomodating and attentive - but more than that, they were just plain nice and gave the impression that they were happy to have us there. The food was tasty though the crust on my lamb was very salty - all of the ingredients seem to be fresh and seasonal. My husband and another friieind both had the duck which they praised highly. It is nice to have a menu that concentrates on a few quality dishes rather than a surfeit of options that cannot all be done well. The desserts were also a hit with the triple ginger bread pudding getting rave reviews. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- somewhat disappointing this timefrequent2dinersDined on 12/7/2013Food is generally good here but this time the pork special was too salty with globs of fat mixed in. pretty unappealing. Also usually the wait staff are personable and responsive but this time our waiter seemed like he was on autopilot, abruptly interrupting conversation to announce specials, get orders etc., not what you expect at these pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotta love this place!JacquesDined on 12/7/2013Flora's creative menu is exceptionally well prepared and tastefully presented. This is our third visit to this moderate sized urban charmer. The three hundred mile round trip is worth the pleasure of dining at Flora. We have sampled a half dozen entrees on it's ever changing menu. Our expectations are raised with each return visit. In our book, Flora is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!RobbiDined on 12/3/2013We found the food to be exceptional, with very good and unobtrusive service. Great ambience - great for a romantic evening or a small group of friends. We would most definitely return and certainly recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving 2013 at FloraAEJarlingtonDined on 11/28/2013My husband and I have been to Flora, but this is our first time visiting with our 8 year old daughter. We all had a wonderful time, all ordered steak as our main course---delicious! The Hubbard Squash soup was fantastic, and the service gracious about our 8 year old's very conservative (sigh) palate (sauce on side, bread and butter on the table). The Sangiovese recommended by our server was a perfect match for the steak, and the 8 year old had a mocktail, Spring Fever, which she loved. The last few years, we've been doing historical Thanksgiving events. This year we went to Topsfield for the Parsons Capen open house, returning to Arlington for a lovely Thanksgiving dinner at Flora wearing paper pilgrim hats. Thank you Flora!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flora ThanksgivingFanfoodieDined on 11/28/2013Had a delectable Thanksgiving dinner at Flora. The squash soup was outstanding, as were the Brussels sprouts! The stuffing was excellent as was the whole cranberry sauce. The turkey was delicious! Wine pairing also complimented the meal. My only disappointment was in the number of rolls presented with dinner. 1! I fully expected 2! The 1 roll was very good. I could've asked for a second but did not take the opportunity so to do. Despite that, the meal was fantastic as was the service. I definitely will patronize Flora again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you. . .ScienceDrivenVIPDined on 11/28/2013. . . for a perfect Thanksgiving feast. How wonderful is it when the consistently wonderful food and ambience forms the foundation for connecting and reconnecting with terrific people??Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What can I say?GeofactorDined on 11/28/2013Excellent, we'll do this again next Thanksgiving. I know most people want family around for Thanksgiving but you can bring them with you! And the cook gets a day off and can enjoy herself or himself as much as everybody else. The food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving TreatBearVIPDined on 11/28/2013We had a wonderful family Thanksgiving dinner for our group of 11. Friends, family - and we were able to see several former Flora servers return to work on this busy day. Our group included 3 kids under 12, and they enjoyed the food and atmosphere. The adults really enjoyed the great food, excellent service, and warm/relaxed ambience. Each course was delicious, most of us enjoyed the outstanding turkey plate/stuffing/etc while others raved about the salmon. Top this off with wonderful desserts and the ability to savor some coffee and no clean up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/28/2013We had a group of four on thanksgiving. We were greeted with smiles and brought to our table immediately. Waitresses were very friendly, drinks were tasty and the food was delicious! I think because of the holidays things were a bit off with the service in the kitchen to the hands of the waitresses. My bf order the steak entree and the rest of us ordered the turkey. His meal was out a good 15 minutes before ours was finally on the table. I'm sure if the waitress was informed of this she may have waited to bring his food out with the rest of ours. He couldn't wait any longer and was 3/4 of the way done with his before ours finally came out. In closing desert was great! I enjoyed the chocolate pecan pie with fresh whipped cream!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/28/2013For a $50- per person Thanksgiving Dinner, I expected a larger plate. A couple of pieces of turkey and a little potato and stuffing, no vegetables made it a poor choice by me. Won't be going back.
- Outstanding meal!mrstibsVIPDined on 11/23/2013Went to Flora before a show at the Arlington Theatre. I have to say, dinner at Flora and a show made for a lovely evening. The food and service were superior. The last time we went we were a little disappointed but I'm glad we tried again because it was everything I remembered from previous meals and more. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Eh...ScruffleguyDined on 11/15/2013The actual meal itself was tasty and well seasoned, although the portions were rather small. $26 for pork tenderloin, I expect more than five pork medallions, one piece of broccolini, and a third cup of squash puree. The food came out promptly, but our appetizer plates remained on the table for the entire meal and were only cleared after entree. Our server didn't check to see how our meal was until the very end when we had finished everything. For decor, there was some nice paintings on the wall, but there were several holes and empty brass picture hooks, so this needs to be touched up.
- Wonderful birthday celebrationHollyDined on 11/8/2013When the restaurant learned our reservation was for a surprise birthday celebration [I had not noted that at reservation]- they sprinkled sparklies on the table. And tho we did not have dessert there - they brought out a complimentary scoop of sorbet for the birthday boy. Great Celebration for a group of 8!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavors are sublime.YoniGVIPDined on 11/7/2013From start to finish, the meal was delicious. Servings are ample, flavors are sublime. Soup was delectable, salad was tasty, vegetable fricassee was truly to-die-for, and chocolate cake dessert with sour cherries was a perfect ending to a perfect meal. Can't wait to dine here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.