190 Massachusetts Ave.
Arlington, MA 02474Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.florarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7816411664
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bob Sargent
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Flora is happy to cater events of any type and size. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Flora offers a private dining room that can seat up to 36 people! Other options include reserving the bar, cafe, main dining room or the entire restaurant! Choose from one of our preset menus or order from our seasonally changing restaurant menu! See the Private Dining link on our website or contact our Event Manager Megan Harrington for more information at email@example.com
- Private Party Contact: Megan Harrington 7816411664
- Entertainment: Flora's Music Series - Live and Free Music performed while you dine featuring great local acts every Thursday! Most music starts at 8pm. Dinner Reservations are recommended for the best seats!
Flora features an upscale, white tablecloth dining room dramatically housed in a restored bank with 30' vaulted ceilings, 20 foot windows and an open kitchen!
Flora also offers a more casual option in their Bar and Cafe with lighter fare options and high top tables that look out over the bustling town! While there is a TV in the bar, it only goes on for our local teams! ;)
A word from Flora
Chef/owner Bob Sargent creates menus drawing on American classics with French and Italian influences. Many of his dishes include seasonal vegetables and local foods, especially seafood and farm products.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Flora - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Flora reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (50)special occasion (50)romantic (36)good for groups (29)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- FlorascrackerDined on 4/24/2014Service was very nice and amenable to splitting entree and salad. Food is routinely good. The negative: good food was served on cold plates which I really hate........and the haddock was a little overdone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- floraslovegoodfood2Dined on 4/20/2014as always the food was wonderful -E2aster dinner-the menu is always a surprise and the flavors and combinations are exquisite-the service was lovely and from the time we walked through the door to the time we left everyone made sure our dining experience was just a joy-thank you for being in my neighborhood and for your take on what a restaurant should be.Special Features:
- RELIABILY GOODOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2014My husband and I enjoyed our Easter meal. Flora has reliably good food and service.Special Features:
- I have never been so warmlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/12/2014I have never been so warmly greeted at a restaurant at which I have made an OpenTable reservation. We were shown to a lovely window table. The restaurant was busy but there were a few unoccupied tables. The fish special was sold out by 6:30 pm so we ended up ordering a couple of the delectable scallops, a sweet potato gnocchi and a fried haddock with potatoes gaufrette. For starters we tried the carrot ginger soup and several of the wonderful salads. Everything was delicious and well-prepared. I wasn't hungry enough for a big entrée and appreciated the portion of gnocchi afforded by the middle plates category. The space is very charming and the service was attentive, well-informed and much appreciated.Special Features:
- At the Bar at Flora'sJoanieCVIPDined on 4/11/2014My husband and I are regulars at Flora's and we always really enjoy our time there. The food is excellent and I really like how you can choose between small (appetizer), medium and entree size dishes. Whenever we can, we sit at the bar. Ken, the wine manager and bar tender is super, and always makes our visit even more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/5/2014always a great experience! Ive never had a bad meal or experience here over the many years....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flora is an expensive restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/3/2014Flora is an expensive restaurant. The food is usually very good, but I was disappointed with the food choices on the menu this time. I had the beef this time and the portion was ridiculously small for the price. I received two tiny pieces of pot roast.Special Features:
- Delightful dinner with friends.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/2/2014Delightful dinner with friends. Table by a window which is always nice. Tables spaced far enough apart so that our conversations were private. Delicious assortment of salads with nice choice of small and larger size of main plates. Grilled lamb was cooked just right. Pear crisp with ice cream was scumptious. Espresso creme brulee was not creamy or flavorful enough. Good and friendly, helpful service! A favorite place to dine out with friends!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful but pricey!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/30/2014Excellent food and service. Pricey but worth it once in a while! The wait staff was extremely nice and helpful.Special Features:
- food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2014but the service was off. during the meal we discussed how it ranked with Bergamot, our favorite. Agreed that food was comparable, but service fell short. Took three times to get my drink order right (I ordered one of their cocktails, they sent prosecco, returned that, a second more senior waiter came back with ... prosecco. That was kind of funny. We paid, though, in part with a gift certificate from WBUR donation. the hostess brought the cc slip back for signing and lectured about how to tip on the full amount, not the discounted amount. Which I knew, was prepared to do, and did, which I told her. She explained that some don't understand, and the servers get shortchanged. And that's why waiters should be paid fare wage, not on tips.Special Features:
- Flora is a great choice for allCelebratorDined on 3/29/2014We went ahead of a show at the Regent Theatre in Arlington, and it was great. I had an amazing pan fried duck breast that I'm still relishing in memory. Strongly recommended. Also: great bourbon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/28/2014Flora continues to be a wonderful and consistent choice for excellent food, a lovely atmosphere, and friendly but professional service. It is a great spot to catch up with friends or your significant other. It is one of those restaurants that every time you go, you think "Why don't I come here more often ?" The room that was the old bank is my favorite, as it is beautiful and unusual, but the newer portion is lively and attractive too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/28/2014The food and ambience are always good....and the service is always terrific, especially the service provided by the thoughtful, engaging waiter who served us on the evening of Friday, March 28....he should get an award for thoughtful attentiveness and his engaging sense of humor..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arlington GemMalcolmDined on 3/27/2014Flora is the standout of the Arlington dining scene. Great food, knowledgable servers, and a fantastic ambiance. Whether you're dining out for a special occasion, or you just want to cozy up to the bar for a drink and a bite, you can't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBsotonBeanDined on 3/23/2014We dined for Restaurant Week. Each course featured was also an item on their regular menu. Making the experience even more disappointing. The first courses, ginger carrot soup with maple crème, and beet salad with goat cheese, were enjoyable. The main course of Haddock was terrible. As was the accompanying pickled shrimp salad - honestly this salad tasted bland, soggy - like something in your own refrigerator that was on it's way to the rubbish. Unfortunately we both ordered the same main course which essentially ruined the dining experience. We both enjoyed the pear and cranberry crisp. Given this entrée is featured on their regular menu, we are unlikely to return anytime soon, if at all.
- Almost greatsushifanDined on 3/23/2014This is a lovely space with good service. The three course prix fixe meal was decent but unimpressive. The soup was OK, but lacked depth of flavor. The beef was basically pot roast--some fresh herbs might have made it special. Similarly, the dessert was palatable but did not taste especially fresh. If you're not a foodie, this would be fine. Since I am a good cook myself, I kind of felt I could have had this same food at home.Special Features:
- Nice mealLisaDined on 3/22/2014We hadn't been here for some time, and were glad to see that they've kept the up the qualities that were so clear from the year they opened. We were glad to be able to order from the Restaurant Week menu, which had good variety and included many of the items we would have ordered anyway. This was an excellent value. Every we ordered was quite good, especially the ginger carrot soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flora is FreshTildaDined on 3/21/2014I love Flora for every occasion. You want a cozy nook - they got it; You want to see and be seen - they got it. The atmosphere is welcoming, warm and vibrant. Flora's food is authentic and prepared with love. They source from local farmers, fishmongers and vegetable growers. The beet salad was a perfect starter - honey roasted beets, spicy greens, a dab of goat cheese and toasted walnuts. My husband always order the 'mostly boneless' half chicken - try it and you'll keep going back. Flora offers a range of middle plates that are great to share at the bar with a tasty signature cocktail. Deserts are sublime - from homemade granita to a creme brûlée. Service is attentive but not over done. Dining at Flora never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to ParSallDined on 3/21/2014Having been a fan of Flora for a long time, I was disappointed in this year's Restaurant Week experience. The woman who brought us our bread and gave us our menus, sat us at a table missing silverware and bread plates. They came AFTER the bread. The waiter himself was excellent and fun. The first courses and desserts are our table were excellent, but entrees were disappointingly ordinary unlike the food we have had in the past at Flora.Special Features:
- ConsistentkentharborVIPDined on 3/19/2014We hadn't been to Flora in a while but the food was wonderful as usual and the prices reasonable for an upscale restaurant. No hype, just a satisfying and comfortable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You pay for what you get...ladiesdudinnerDined on 3/19/2014High prices, small portions. Tolerable if you find yourself seated in the ambiance of the main dining room and not the bar, considering the near empty restaurant on a Wednesday night I would have expected the better seating. The daube of beef, was a dab of beef, barely enough to satisfy even a petite appetite. With tax and tip a $280. tab should have sent this party of 4 out the door raving about the food and the overall experience but we departed with a ho hum, one and done attitude.
- Restaurant Week night outAnnTDined on 3/17/2014Interesting choices for restaurant week. Started with the carrot/ginger soup which was delicious. Entree of haddock (unfortunately fried) with pickled shrimp (not a good side). Venue is an old bank. Very comfortable and lovely inside. Room for larger groups if needed. On street parking only. Server was wonderful. Food was only fair. Would recommend to folks to give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food in East ArlingtonFinefoodlover1Dined on 3/16/2014The price-fix menu provided something for everyone. The soup was just right temperature-wise and very tasty. The beef main course was tender and had lots of flavor and the cranberry crisp with cinnamon ice cream was excellent. I ordered a glass of wine (they weren't stingy with the portion) and I ended my meal with a decaf cappuccino. Great overall eating experience.Special Features:
- Another special event at FloraBearVIPDined on 3/8/2014We had a wonderful birthday dinner for my wife. Food and service great as usual. The two youngest kids enjoyed the chicken fingers, while the older two kids and adults enjoyed the savory fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Flora. The attentionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/5/2014I love Flora. The attention to detail from the freshness, creativity, even the temperature of the food, to the décor and the staff has never disappointed us - and we go often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit harriedCantabrigianVIPDined on 3/1/2014We had an 8PM reservation, and got there at 7:50. There was a table ready, we could see it. They even pointed it out to us, but then, announced that, due to 'overwhelming the staff', they would seat us at 8. Interesting, yeah? We also sifted through three waitpersons during our stay, one of whom brought me the wrong order. As to the food, it was all serviceable, but the sides lacked either skill or concern, hard to tell which. One of our party described her vegetable portion as 'cafeteria-like'. That said, this is out in the 'burbs, and has parking....Special Features:
- The group was split on theWashashoreDined on 3/1/2014The group was split on the food. The salads were very tasty as were the chicken and Kale ravioli entrees. The lamb chop middle plate was 1 chop on a mound of something which our dining companion did not enjoy. The other person ordered the prime rib special and described it as OK. The salads and chicken and kale ravioli entrees were beautifully plated. If possible when making a reservation, request the main dining room. We were seated in what is a private dining room. It was very noisy, a tiny candle on the table and very bright overhead lights. In the past we have sat in the main dining room which is very nice.
- Always Come Back to FloraeloutDined on 3/1/2014This is our favorite restaurant for excellent food, often locally sourced, a nice wine selection, lovely ambience in which one can have a good conversation. The consistency of quality is remarkable over the many years that we have enjoyed Flora. Some other places are trendier and fancier, but the food here always leaves me feeling good, and the flavors are creative and well done. Bravo Flora!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as always. I loveOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/1/2014Excellent, as always. I love the new small plate option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive edibleRuthDined on 2/23/2014I got duck breast that was cold and tasted like left over from Saturday. My husband got haddock he said was very average. The service was good, they were friendly and helpful.
- Have had better...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2014I have had better meals than this night. Others in my party enjoyed their meal more than I did, I think and that is fine. I had sort of a fried fish thing which was not memorable. The waiter seemed a little confused...maybe new?Special Features:
- Pretty Good Food/Fair ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/22/2014I really enjoyed my entree duck breast, as did nmy husband, but overall service a bit scattered. I asked for dipping sauce for calamari appetizer - we almost finished it before they brought it out after 2nd request. I asked for pepper, as I saw others getting a fresh grind, instead was brought a bowl of red pepper. One of my guests did have pasta, so maybe that's why. Rigatoni was to have sausage, it was minimal. I would definitely steer away from the pastas. Desserts were good, my capucciono was luke warm. People who were serving us kept changing. Based on prices, I was expecting more and would not rush back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedhatenicknamesDined on 2/21/2014The food was okay, but none of the five dishes we ordered was great, not as I had remembered from a previous visit. At those prices I expect at least three of five to be a treat. I was disappointed and will not go back.
- Good foodlynchiesDined on 2/16/2014The menu is unique and everything was tasty. They are willing to mix up sides and do a great job on presentation. Wine by the glass was just ok. The better wines are bottle only. Watch out on the soda as they charge you for every refill and you don't know it until the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to an Arlington RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/16/2014We had not dined at Flora in quite some time and were so happy we returned. We had a wonderful meal and introduced friends who really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Sometimes, the weather situation makes for exploring your own town and great venues there. All the choices were great and the staff was pleasant and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere very good foodSuburbanGourmetDined on 2/15/2014We ate at Flora on a snowy Saturday night . We'd eaten there before but not for several years. The service was friendly and efficient. I had bay scallops and risotto, my husband had the pan-roasted duck. Both were well prepared and tasty. The food quality/ambiance and value are solidly above what is normally available out here in the NW suburbs. I would definitely look forward to going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentin's day meal was doubleCeciaDined on 2/14/2014Valentin's day meal was double the regular price but I suspect it's like that many places. Wait was a bit long even with reservation but had a delightful time, good food. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uneven experienceDiscerningDinerDined on 2/14/2014Valentine's Day: The main courses (bay scallops and beef filet) were good, but the other coureses were not. Chocolate bread pudding was not chocolatey -- tasted like it was missing an ingredient. The appetizers were served before the wine and the prix fix menu did not include coffee. It was not a good experience for the price, and we will not be making the drive from Wellesley again to go back.Special Features:
- Lovely decor, disappointing mealCelebratingoutDined on 2/9/2014Only one person in our party of five enjoyed their food. We each left a puddle of oil at the bottom of our plates. Two people had stomach aches -- not from the taste, but from the abundance of oils used in the preparation. The presentation was appetizing, the staff was quite nice, the decor is lovely, and we even found convenient parking on-street. But we won't be returning.
- bank on good foodproseDined on 2/9/2014the squash apple soup was creative & delicious, the haddock equally tasty & all presented beautifullySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.