Japonessa Sushi Cocina
1400 First Ave
Seattle, WA 98101Neighborhood:
Belltown / Pike Place Market
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
Japonessa Sushi Cocina
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.japonessa.com/
- Phone: 2069717979
- Hours of Operation:
Monday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Tuesday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Wednesday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Thursday- 11:30am - 11:00pm
Friday- 11:30am - 1:00am
Saturday- 12:00pm - 1:00am
Sunday- 12:00pm - 1:00am
Happy Hour Is EVERYDAY, from open-6:30pm in our dining area including our SUSHIBAR, and EVERYNIGHT again at 10:00pm till closing, with extending happy hour for 21+ in our bar lounge from 6:30 pm- 8:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Billy Beach
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: See our website japonessa.com for catering information, or contact our Catering Manager directly at email@example.com
A word from Japonessa Sushi Cocina
Located in downtown Seattle next to Pike Place Market, Japonessa houses the latest talents of renowned Chef Billy Beach. We are a sushi cocina, featuring a Japanese menu with hints of Latino flair. From traditional offerings at our full service sushi bar, to innovative rolls and exotically imagined Japanese tapas, Japonessa boasts a menu to tantalize all palates.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Japonessa Sushi Cocina - Best Restaurants in Belltown / Pike Place Market ›
Japonessa Sushi Cocina reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (124)hot spot (99)great for lunch (74)special occasion (66)good for groups (58)vibrant bar scene (45)neighborhood gem (44)late-night find (44)romantic (36)great for brunch (12)great for outdoor dining (11)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (8)notable wine list (4)Show More
- Latin Asian Fusion w/ hot sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/5/2014Recommended by hotel concierge as Asian with a latin twist. Delicious use if cilantro in the appetizers and the sushi rolls. Thw Habenero sushi rolls were appropriately hot from the decorative sprinkles on top to the actual peppers rolled in with the tuna. Fun combo, but be warned to order extra rice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeFoodsterDined on 7/31/2014Everything was perfect..... Food, drinks, service! Highly recommend reservations. Great for vegans too!Special Features:
- Sushi & Jalapenos? Si, Senor!SquadLeaderVIPDined on 7/27/2014Extremely fresh and very well prepared japanese food with a latin twist. We tried sweet, savory and spicy sushi rolls. Flavor combinations were balanced and not overpowering. Beautiful presentaions, too. Rice was not compressed, but stayed together. Comprehensive wine and sake list. Our server was personable and attentive without hovering. Reservations required on a Sunday night!Special Features:
- After Game DinnerRonDDined on 7/27/2014Went into Seattle after the Mariner's game to the Japonessa. We were 1.5 hours ahead of our scheduled reservation but the hostess arranged a table for us. We were there in time for the happy hour food menu which offered fantastic rolls and sushi at very good prices. Victor our waiter was very attentive. Put Japonessa on your list if you love Japanese food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seattle SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Great sushi, friendly staff, location central to must see Seattle, offers excellent value. We ate there twice, on both ends of our 10 day stay in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodHealthydining21Dined on 7/25/2014Love the creative sushi menu. Happy hour prices for lunch make this a fantastic choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and different sushiPeterNJDined on 7/23/2014Excellent and very different sushi rolls. Seems like fusion influence. Very interesting combination of ingredients. Rolls are expensive but are very large. My son and I split three rolls and were very full. Very popular restaurant near market and museum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food / Good priceDougBDined on 7/23/2014Had someone visiting the office from out of town. Food was good and he was impressed with the price for 4 of us. I've been here many times and only had slow service once, more than a year ago. Doesn't open until 11:30, and they don't unlock the door until then. Can often be busy, so usually best to make a reservation.Special Features:
- LOVE IT!elle89VIPDined on 7/20/2014I love their happy hour prices and the quality of food! I'm also a huge fan of their Amazon Local deal because it gives you a chance to try out their pricier things without feeling like you emptied out your wallet :) That's how I found my new favorite roll and I'd be willing to pay full price because I know I love it :)Special Features:
- Great sushi and morePNWCanuckDined on 7/20/2014Great sushi, happy hour, craft beverages and Japanese whiskey selection. Interesting deserts including a surprising Chocolate Chili ice cream. Hip, stylish ambiance. Good location near Pike Place.Special Features:
- Good but not authentic JapaneseCanadianDined on 7/19/2014We sat at the sushi bar. While the food was good, the "chefs" did not put a lot of care in making the sushi. They were concerns about pumping food out ASAP. A lot of thef fish was already pre-cut in containers ready to go and the sliced rolls were cut inconsistently (some thick and some thin, noticeably so).Special Features:
- Always FANTASTIC!NoelDined on 7/19/2014Of course, one of our favorites for sushi. The unique and extensive list of sushi rolls always pleases our palettes. The service started off a little slower this time, than usual (we sat waiting for service for quite awhile), but recovered quite well once we had a steady waiter. Nonetheless, this was an anomaly from our past experiences, so can be overlooked. The food is worth it! Go...and it is a great deal during their Happy Hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014Sushi here is great. They have happy hour almost all day at the bar with reasonable prices. Dinner is a little on the expensive side but worth it.Special Features:
- Great food, good servers, slow foodmbmbamfanDined on 7/15/2014The food here was excellent, the service was attentive and prompt, but the kitchen was incredibly slow. It may have been a fluke, as people who came in after us were served quite rapidly, but in our cohort the delivery was a bit crazy slow. Sashimi took an hourish to arrive. Once the food got coming though, everything was really great, so that went a long ways to make up for it. I will be back, and expect to be well impressed. Tres Diablos was great, the Seattle Crunch Roll won over a non-sushi eater, and the happy hour menu looks great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best sushi on the coast!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/14/2014Every time I am in Seattle I come to Japonessa, consistently excellent and unique!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting menunoneDined on 7/14/2014Quite a variety of choices, with good quality. Tasty stuff, but true sushi lovers may not be wild about the sauced sushi rolls.Special Features:
- Great find!eattinghobbyVIPDined on 7/12/2014We can here after the symphony. There were four of us. We had pretty much one of each on the happy hour menu. It was such a great deal. We really wanted dessert, but decided against it because we were full for rolls and sashimi.Special Features:
- Great Happy HourfuninissyDined on 7/11/2014If you have a groupon that is a good way to go but Happy Hour is a cheaper way to go. The food in always great and fresh.Special Features:
- Perfect SushiJanineDined on 7/11/2014This place was FANTASTIC! The sushi was creative and delicious and extremely fresh. Service was good, wine was good. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!noeyedeerDined on 7/10/2014Happy hours make it very affordable. The food is amazing! will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Yum!!VinsanityDined on 7/9/20141st time to Japonessa, recommended by my daughter and her husband. Well worth it, VERY fresh ingredients. The Yellow Tail was AWESOME. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, very poor serviceDCeaterVIPDined on 7/8/2014We came for a birthday celebration and had terrible service. Slow and not very friendly server and no acknowledgement whatsoever of the birthday. Won't be returning and cannot recommend despite the good food.
- Cool conceptForkspoonknifeVIPDined on 7/6/2014One of my favorite spots in the West End of Seattle. An innovative and delicious twist on the familiar Japanese fare. Took some friends from out of town and unfortunately we were a table of all women and our lack of service proved the bias..... We finally got our appetizers after the meal arrived..grrrrrr. As a former server and good tipper this is something I am really tired of enduring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi as Art.FeChefDined on 7/5/2014There are many excellent choices for sushi in Seattle. Time & time again, we go back to Japonessa. It is beautiful food that tastes even better than it looks. The Super Bad Boy and the Spicy Redhead are our two favorite rolls. The sake & Japanese whiskies are a lot of fun. Sometimes the service is a little spotty--but the food ALWAYS makes up for that. We have been here probably a dozen times, and have never once been disappointed. Make a reservation, tho--or be prepared to wait!!Special Features:
- Exquisite DiningBelieveyDined on 7/2/2014Japonessa is one of the few hidden gems in Seattle. Outstanding rolls, extremely fresh cuts, and a wonderful wait-staff. One of my favorite stops on the West Coast.Special Features:
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Service in the bar was better than the restaurant. Server was inattentive and I had to call out to her more than once to get a refill on drinks.
- great twist on sushi and japaneseDarrenDined on 6/26/2014great unique rolls and small plates. A bit on the pricey side, but the food is great quality, and it's an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Great FoodSushiLover2014Dined on 6/26/2014The food is great. Rolls are large but might not be worth the price; however, two rolls are enough for two people to share. There is a 9 piece sashimi appetizer for $12 that is great. Service was good but they are so busy that it isn't really attentive. Note: If you might have someone joining your party, let the staff know right away. The table next to us added a person and the staff was not happy.Special Features:
- The Best Sushi in SeattleWASUP2000Dined on 6/26/2014Japonessa has some of the best sushi in Seattle! If you like spicy, this restaurant offers many creative ways to spice up their rolls with a variety of different sauces and ingredients. Also, I am not a huge fan of tempura rolls, but love the tempura rolls at this restaurant. Some of my favorite rolls include the Barcelona Sunset and King Midas. The drink menu is also outstanding. The service from the server was excellent; very professional and knowledgeable. The only improvement I could see to the experience was the service from the hostess; was not real friendly and service-oriented as I would expect.Special Features:
- Awesome!NileaDined on 6/26/2014I went for lunch during happy hour so it was pretty slow compared to their dinner rush. The food was great and the waitress was extremely nice :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tepid service, gimmicky sushifoodiescientistDined on 6/25/2014We had high hopes for this place based on other reviews and because its the PNW and Japanese. The sushi was belabored by exaggerated and gimmicky garnishes that hid the fish. Flavor combinations were awkward and the "Spanish" influences were forced and unsubtle. We had to ask three times to be brought fresh plates for the sushi rolls after appetizers. The rice itself tasted gummy. The rolls were so large that they didn't fit nicely into the mouth, given the over-decoration. I suppose this is what lots of people like, but all that razzmatazz hides the fish and rice.Special Features:
- Great new findDex66VIPDined on 6/25/2014A friend recommended this place and I was pleasantly surprised at my experience. In general I am not a huge sushi fan so i didn't have high expectations but the menu was interesting and the waitress was great at offering suggestions to fit my picky tastes. I will definitely be back and am excited that I found a new place in Seattle to take friends & clients to.Special Features:
- Good food but priceyBrainsmileDined on 6/24/2014I enjoyed the freshness of the food and it came out pretty quickly after ordering. But for a $20 crunch roll, I felt like it was an ordinary roll covered with a thick layer of tempura batter and wasn't worth the price. The laughing budda was amazing! Definitely worth it for vegetarians. Every roll seemed to use cream cheese and I don't really think that's a very versatile menu choice. I'd stick to the happy hour times where the price is more reasonable.Special Features:
- Best Sushi and SashimiOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/23/2014The appetizers were amazing. Both the tuna tatar and the ceviche were both fantastic. But the chef's sashimi plate that we had was to die for. The chef asked what we liked and then made up a platter for us. He them came around the sushi bar and explained what all the fish was, much of it special catches not on the menu. By far the best sashimi we've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSeattlesbestDined on 6/23/2014Fantastic food and the waitress did a great job with recommending drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Outstanding!seattlemamaDined on 6/23/2014I would eat here every day if I could! We had a few of the happy hour rolls for lunch and they were big, beautiful, and delicious! We brought our 11 month old daughter and they were very sweet to her. It might be smart, if you bring young children, to ask for their food to come out first. My daughter's avocado roll came out several minutes after all the other food and she started to get frustrated and loud in the dining room, which was a little stressful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dowtown place for sushiRinaVIPDined on 6/21/2014It's a great location ( across the street from the Seattle Art Museum and other landmarks) and and the food is good. Happy Hour(s) are the best time to go; it's offered at the bar area and main dining room, so you're not stuck in one place to partake in HH. Prices are affordable on the regualr menu and staff is friendly. The music is abit loud and to me not appropriate for a sushi place.Special Features:
- Great Service, happy hour bargainsqueenaoifeDined on 6/20/2014Japonessa did not disappoint. Myself and a friend had a reservation for lunch in the main dining room, where the happy hour specials run from open until 6:30p. We were pleased to get four rolls and a sashimi set for around $55, with beverages. Our server (I think his name was Kyle), was wonderful, and just the right amount of attentive. I am from out of town, but would definitely return if I was in the sushi mood.Special Features:
- Good food, poor servicecarlandbarbDined on 6/19/2014The food was quite good, but the service ... the hostess and the waiter ... a real disappointment ... not attentive ... the waiter was very slow, and I had to remind him to bring my drink after the appetizers were served, and the hostess seemed disinterested and irritated.Special Features:
- Excellent food and presentation!blueberryDined on 6/19/2014This was the third time I've eaten at Japonessa. Excellent food imaginatively presented. Our waiter, this time, was excellent as well. The next time I attend an event at Benaroya Hall, I will very likely choose again to have dinner at Japonessa beforehand.Special Features: