Foundry On Elm
255 Elm Street
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Foundry On Elm
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.foundryonelm.com/
- Phone: 6176289999
- Hours of Operation:
Hours of Operation Monday - Friday: noon - 1:00am, Brunch: Saturday 11am - 1am Sunday: 10:30am - 1:00am
Offering Brunch specials in addition to our lunch menu on Saturday until 3, Brunch Buffet and A la carte specials Sunday until 3:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Derek Clough
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Foundry On Elm
Fine Food and Proper AleContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Foundry On Elm reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)good for groups (32)vibrant bar scene (31)fit for foodies (22)hot spot (20)special occasion (9)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (8)late-night find (6)romantic (6)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- too loud with mediocre foodVelpewDined on 3/29/2014Went here before a concert at Somerville Theater. It has good reviews, but this is not the sort of place I enjoy. Loud beyond belief, food was eh, and service was borderline eh.Special Features:
- Great Local SpotHowieVIPDined on 3/28/2014Food varies from good to very good depending on visit and item. Good range of choices. Great balance to the large dining room-modern elegance with just enough pub feel to be relaxed. Great beer and cocktail selection! Service routinely good, occasionally excellent. Mussels and pork chop both recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well done versions of usual choicespwbeantownDined on 3/28/20144 of us had a very pleasant evening at the Foundry. Great selection of beers. Menu is somewhat predictable, but very well executed. I had an excellent burger, cooked just as I had requested. My friends had a pear salad with chicken, a pork chop and fish & crab cakes, all well liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Nightmares on this Elm StreetSanguineEmpathyVIPDined on 3/28/2014First occasion dining here and I was mightily impressed. The food was excellent. The staff was attentive to my extensive allergies w/ the Chef (Alex) coming out to the table in person to discuss what could be arranged for my meal - which was a wonderfully seared Cod over roasted Brussel Sprouts & Kale and french fries. Very tasty. All the other members of my party enjoyed their dishes as well, esp. the rich date cake w/ caramel sauce for dessert. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Not impressed at all...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2014Went with two friends for brunch. They both enjoyed their meals, but mine was pretty bad. I ordered the Challah French Toast. There were 2 small pieces on a BIG white plate with nothing else. I took my first bite and realized it was pretty cold. I took a few more bites and realized it needed syrup. Since we hadn't seen the waitress since she took the order I asked the busboy for some syrup. Ten minutes later it arrived. It too was ice cold! Needless to say, the syrup only made the french toast even chillier. Now, I would have said something and asked if it could be reheated, but we NEVER saw the waitress again -- until it was time for the bill. Oh, did I mention my drink order was wrong too? If you don't know what a Greyhound is, ask!
- Post Ras Na hEireann 5K BrunchCaitw32Dined on 3/16/2014Excellent service even with the bar packed with runners post-5K St. Patty's Race. Food was great. Drinks delicious. Service on the spot. Thanks Foundry! Making this a tradition!Special Features:
- Should've requested another waiter.KatieDined on 3/15/2014My husband and I have been to Foundry many times and we usually sit at the bar. Since we had invited friends to join us, we booked a reservation and got a booth. The overall experience was fine, but it was clear from the beginning that our waiter despised us. We still don't know what we did to earn his ire. We saw him but a few times in the hours we were there, ordering food and drinks the whole time. He was curt and unpleasant, and never once smiled. Despite his behavior, we were polite and courteous since we know it was busy and his is not an east job. We also still tipped him generously. However, if we got him another time, I would most definitely request another waiter. He dimished the pleasure of our experience.Special Features:
- Great beer, good foodScoopDined on 3/13/2014Trendy spot on Elm st in Davis square. Great beer and cocktail selection. Good is very good, little pricey.Special Features:
- Great food, beautiful people.KellyDined on 3/8/2014Had a really good time with my gf, loved the food. I tried a few different drinks and didn't really love any of them, I thought they were way too strong (I've been drinking for 20 years, I know a little about alcohol). Maybe should of just had a beer. Otherwise, great service, nice professionals bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to meet friendsMarg03Dined on 3/8/2014We love The Foundry. The food is delicious without being pretentious or fussy, the service is exceptional across the board and we love Davis Square. Would recommend highly to anyone looking for a fun night out without spending a fortune.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pork belly yum yumamandaamaeVIPDined on 3/8/2014can't get enough of the pork belly sandwich, just wish they would serve it on the french baguette again instead of the soft brioche like roll...i miss the crunchy texture of the french bread!Special Features:
- The Steak FritesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014I'm not sure there's anything else on the menu because I never look. Foundry is my Steak Frites go to place. They do in fact have other items on the menu as my wife and friends I have taken there have had other dishes, and I have never heard a complaint. Always great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesMassCoupleDined on 3/7/2014We enjoy The Foundry and is one of our go to spots. The food is delicious, drinks are plentiful, service is attentive and courteous and the setting is pleasant and clean. Depending on where you are seated, it can be noisy and distracting. Overall, it would not keep us away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud but accomodatingDavidFDined on 3/7/2014If you want to have a conversation, do NOT sit at the long tables near the window. Food was good and dishes original. Service VERY efficient. Even better, we were stuck in traffic heading to D-Square, and hosts were able to seat us (albeit at the table by the window). I was there another time with some friends and we had a great dinner at a booth further in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish this place was in my town!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/5/2014What a great restaurant! Casual atmosphere with excellent food and cocktails. I will be back.....try the Parisian Gnocchi's......so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed againCaptainHaddockVIPDined on 3/2/2014We really like this restaurant, but the kitchen is very uneven. The first time I had steak frites it was not good at all, but when I had it months later is was outstanding. The latest problem occurred at Sunday Brunch. I ordered the steak and eggs, with the eggs "over light". When the dish finally arrived the steak was really good and was cooked perfectly. But the eggs were absolutely hammered. Credit to the server who got me replacement eggs, but they took seven minutes to arrive, by which time I was almost done eating. I think a brunch place should be able to cook eggs to order, and it should be able to get them out of the kitchen quickly, specially when they are not busy. I do not think they have their best staff on for brunch.
- Good food, not for the hard of hearJandiDined on 2/28/2014I just brought my fiancé here based on a food recommendation and that lived up to its name, but it was super loud and hard to hold a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server was very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/28/2014Our server was very attentive and helpful. Most of our groups' meals were fine. I ordered the linguine and part of the linguine was uncooked in a clump within my pasta bowl. I had to send it back and have them redo it. The server was apologetic, but it really shouldn't have bee sent out by the kitchen. The atmosphere was energetic and lively.Special Features:
- Unique brunchCarlaDined on 2/23/2014A French twist for a brunch dining option. The food was delicious. I would have given higher rate if home fries, toast or some type I'd starch came with my eggs. Still delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not a great hostessfoodlawVIPDined on 2/22/2014Went here for dinner with my fiance and another couple. We decided to go 30 minutes before our reservation to relax with a drink at the bar first. I checked in with the hostess when I arrived and let her know we would be at the bar. Then, at the time of our reservation I checked in with the hostess again. She said our table wasn't ready but she would come by and get us in a few minutes. I pointed to the area at the bar where we were standing. 30 minutes later, we still had not heard from her. This time, my fiance checked in with her and she said she had called my phone awhile ago and they had given our table away. Still had a great dinner & great drinks, but very rude experience w/ the hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Saturday night dinner spotEm4711Dined on 2/22/2014I went to Foundry this past Saturday night with a few friends. The food was very good, drinks were delicious (although it time we ordered a round it did take a very very long time to get our drinks), and our server was fantastic. She was very knowledgeable, had a great personality, and wonderful attitude!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool to look at but mediocre foodYahboobooDined on 2/22/2014Everything had the potential to be good but just didn't get there. The brussel sprouts, while nicely browned were not cooked through. The swordfish special with a mustart had a giant disc of butter that tasted slightly of mustard but made it seem like i was basically easting butter. Fries came in a sauce that was flavorless and made the fries soggy. The greens were under the fish so they were drenched in butter. Wine was ok, nothing to write home about. Tried the cab sav and pinot noir...both a little on the harsh sidebut flavorfull. The ham sandwich with an egg was good but crazy salty. Service ay first was too fast, maybet hat's whyour brussel sprouts were hard in the middle, really hard, getting 2nd wine took a lot of waving and waitingSpecial Features:
- Took almost 2 hours to get foodPaulDined on 2/16/2014Terrible service, would never go back. Appetizers took an hour and then good took another 45 minutes. Staff did a terrible job updating us about what was going on.
- More like Found MeMRIEGODined on 2/16/2014Nice find in Davis Sq. The bar scene in the early afternoon was calm and enjoyable. The service/staff was friendly enough, and at times when it was rather busy, not enough attention was given (compared to other bars in the area). As for the food, the grass fed burger was really tasty, and while sitting at the bar it seemed comfortable and fit to hang out with a friend or 2 and catch up. Overall, nice first time experience and I'd recommend this spot for drinks and socializing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at the FoundryFBBBDined on 2/16/2014My wife and I had brunch at the Foundry at Elm and ordered the buffet. It was mediocre in choice and quality. It was basically diner food in a nicer locale. I don't think we would return.
- We love this restaurant. OurWeeWillieDined on 2/15/2014We love this restaurant. Our daughter is a senior at Tufts and this has been our go to place whenever we visit her.Special Features:
- Great food, fun atmospherejmh86Dined on 2/14/2014I went here with a few friends for Valentine's Day. The food was phenomenal and we had great service. The cauliflower soup, poutine, and short ribs were notable favorites. The atmosphere was fun although I'm not sure I would have chosen this restaurant for a valentines date, it was loud and crowded. I will definitely eat here again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad Valentine's DayLoveThatBootyDined on 2/14/2014They gave us a table literally in the hallway leading to the kitchen. We asked for a new table and they found us one, but the problem is that the new table was 4 inches from the other tables next to us. I could rest my iPhone on each of our tables. They tried jamming too many tables in. We walked out. Food is normally amazing and it is a great place but stop overbooking.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceGreatNightDined on 2/13/2014We reserved a table for 6pm at The Foundry in order to eat in time to see Marc Cohn across the street at the historic Somerville Theater. The table was ready when we arrived and the service was outstanding. It's also important to mention that the appetizers, entrees and drinks were absolutely fabulous. I had the steak and I can't explain how incredible it was. We will absolutely be back. Soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, PriceyBetsyDined on 2/8/2014We reserved a table for 4, and even though the place was PACKED we were seated promptly! Kudos for that!! The staff is very friendly and the service was very good. I found the prices ridiculous...the waiter mentioned 'crab cakes' were on special that night, and I ordered them because I wasn't starving and the menu is pretty limited, when the bill came they were $24, really? I guess given the location, this place is probably right in line with the rest of the establishments near and in Boston, I just found it overpriced and not enough choices on the menu.Special Features:
- reservation for 7:30 not seatedtimleeDined on 2/8/2014reservation for 7:30 not seated until 7:45. not good. tough to hear the server because the recorded music volume was turned up to the max. food was good. i wouldn't go back though and wouldn't recommend the restaurant to other either.
- love this place!pergrDined on 2/8/2014Foundry is one of the nicest places to go for a nice dinner in a great spot - Davis Square. Good food - for a great salad, a great burger, great fish - and wonderful beer.Special Features:
- Picture of the place on OpenOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 1/4/2014Picture of the place on Open Table looks a lot nicer than the place actually is. This is essentially a bar with bar food. Not bad, but nothing great either. Fine place in you live in neighborhood, but I wouldn't make a special trip to get there.Special Features:
- Knowledgeable - Celiac Safe!SomervilleKODined on 1/1/2014We had a wonderful meal - three people eating gluten-free. The staff were knowledgeable about food allergy concerns, made suggestions and were willing to bring questions back to the kitchen as needed. The food itself took a while to arrive, but was definitely worth the wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years menu disappointmenthungryVIPDined on 12/31/2013From apps to entrees to desserts to the cocktails, it's always a great dining experience. The New Year's Eve prix fixe menu, however, was disappointing. They ran out of scallops early in the night. The menu itself was very limited, with only heavy meat options available. The bread and complimentary pre-dinner "bite" were great, but came out 30 seconds before our entrees. My boyfriend's steak (ordered medium-rare) came out well done. My pork shank was decent, but it isn't a dish if go back for. I will say the pre-dinner salmon-cucumber bites were delicious. The bar scene after dinner proved to be a much better time. Overall, I still love this restaurant, and I know they serve amazing food. I just wish they had served a better New Years meal.Special Features:
- Set Menu1sttimerDined on 12/31/2013Didn't like the new year eve set menu, very limited selection. Mostly red meat! Not great being 1st time there and wanted to try something else rather and was restricted by the set menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but coldSomeoneDined on 12/31/2013We were there very early in the evening on New Year's Eve, as we were going to a show after. Our first complaint was that we were sat right next to one of the four tables sat at this large restaurant, and next to a door that the servers kept going in and out of to socialize, which they continually left open. Our waitress was very nice, but neglected to bring us our "amuse bouche", which we didn't even know existed, until we saw her bring it to the table next to us. Our appetizer was cold, sent back and brought back less cold, and the same thing happened with both entrees. Sauces were cold, fresh out of the fridge. The food was delicious and the manager comped our drinks and appetizer. Hopefully it was just a tough day for them.
- Fun SaloonOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 12/28/2013This place is really fun. They mix fancy grown up cocktails in a loose fun saloon type atmosphere. Food is reasonable with a French flair. Staff is very attentive. We came with a party of 6 and we were well attended to. Can't wait to go back to try more drinks and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2013good comfort food, nice place and Ambience, restaurant was full and service was perfect. I forgot her name but the waitress was fast, wellcomming and very efficient though the restaurant was packed..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, my experience atOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2013Overall, my experience at the foundry was excellent! The food is delicious, and despite a busy dinning room the service was prompt. The draught options were mostly craft beers which was another positive. The ambiance was nice though the dining area a bit cramped. Otherwise it was a very enjoyable experience. I would definitely recommend it; however expect to spend a decent amount of money. The food is certainly worth it!Special Features: