322 Massachusetts Avenu, NE
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafeberlin-dc.com/
- Phone: 2025437656x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, German
- Executive Chef: Rico Glage
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room can accommodate up to 45 people sit-down dinner and up to 60 people open buffet, cocktail etc.
- Private Party Contact: Clytie Roberts-Glage 2025437656x
- Cross Street: Between 3rd & 4th
- Public Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 2 short blocks away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located in a residential neighborhood where street parking is typically ample. Alternately, Union Station is just 2 blocks away and has a large parking garage.
A word from Cafe Berlin
Café Berlin has been serving authentic German and traditional cuisine on Capitol Hill since 1985. It occupies the ground floor of three townhouses whose front yards serve as patio for outdoor dining. The interior features a small bar and two cozy dining rooms. The restaurant is located within a short walking distance of Union Station and the U.S. Capitol. It draws politicians, congressional staffer, and tourists as well a loyal following of neighborhood residents. The traditional dishes are authentically prepared with lighter touch by chefs with extensive experience in German cuisine. In addition to the regular menu, the restaurant offer seasonally changing menus that feature fresh asparagus in the spring, salads and light fares in the summer, Bavarian dishes during Oktoberfest in the fall, and wild game in the winter. Desserts which are freshly made in-house include apple strudel, black forest cake, and luscious cream tortes. The bar offers a selection of imported German beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Cafe Berlin - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Cafe Berlin reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (93)neighborhood gem (76)fit for foodies (42)special occasion (39)romantic (29)good for groups (27)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (13)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- germanlassDined on 6/15/2014We had a great time except for the fact that our table was mostly in the sun. When we asked about switching, we were told that all tables had been reserved. But this was not the case.......Not a deal breaker, but not customer-oriented either. But the food was great.Special Features:
- Best German Food in DCDebfromDCVIPDined on 6/5/2014I love Cafe Berlin and have been going there ever since they opened in the early eighties. It might not be haute cuisine, but the food is always well prepared, fresh and delicious, and the service is always friendly and efficient. They just started with the summer menu and the veal schnitzel with asparagus and hollandaise is phenomenal.Special Features:
- good food but it takes awhilefoodloverVIPDined on 6/4/2014The food and beer is good, but it took a long time to get our food. LIke almost an hour. And it was not busy. So I'd recommend it as long as you aren't in a hurry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingSueWVIPDined on 5/31/2014The night we ate at Cafe Berlin the weather was wonderful, and their outdoor patio was packed. Even with a huge crowd, the food and service was up to Cafe Berlin's very high standards. Cafe Berlin is always a pleasure and a treat.Special Features:
- Perfect daytravelersDined on 5/30/2014ate outside..Perfect weather, relaxed evening, perfect spot to unwind.. great food and beer. will be back often.. will beinterested to see how it is indoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience - Special OccasionlikegoodrestaurantsDined on 5/25/2014The occasion was our anniversary and it was GREAT. The food was great, service was very attentive and the ambiance was what you want for such an occasion. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best German food in metro DC7hom7homVIPDined on 5/25/2014Mom enjoyed her chicken schnitzel, dad his wurstplatte, and I my schweine medallions. Outside filled up while we were there on Thunder Sunday 6p. Service downgraded because beefeaters on rocks were very skimpy. CB does have vegetarian selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food is under parDinnerVisitorDined on 5/25/2014food is under par. most meat are overcooked and over-salted. Went there on Sunder night, there seems only 1-2 servant. That's clearly not enough. The waiter is hard working but can not handle so many tables and has to leave customs waiting.Special Features:
- 2BumsDined on 5/25/2014Great place to sit outside, drink beer and eat German food! Fun place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor Dining is Very NiceMikeVIPDined on 5/24/2014The food is good for American German cooking. If the weather is nice, definitely sit outside in the garden. Very nice!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 709 reviews are from the Cafe Berlin reviews archive.
- Lots of Charm & Great ValuePlainJaneVIPDined on 5/19/2014Cafe Berlin is hard to beat! Great location on the Hill, interesting menu, excellent food, charming atmosphere, warm and attentive staff! I debated giving the food five stars, simply because you'll never find better food for the astoundingly reasonable prices on the menu. We went with a large lunch group, and the kitchen and server did an outstanding job of turning out great food, on time, for a large crowd. I'll be going back to Cafe Berlin!Special Features:
- GlenSDined on 5/17/2014We had a lovely meal and very nice evening all round. Food was delicious but would have liked a lighter dessert although the raspberry slice was very nice it was a bit heavy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/14/2014If you're looking for authentic German food, you'll find it here! The flavors are outstanding - cooked to perfection. The food is matched only by the service. Warm and friendly atmosphere, attention to service but no rush. Perfect timing between courses. Not sure which wine you would like? No worries, have a little taste to confirm before making a final selection. For first timers, I'd suggest you try the Gulaschsuppe followed by the Jägerschnitzel. Plentiful portions might make it difficult to have dessert, but have it anyway - fantastic! We're here every time we get to D.C. Every guest we've taken here has been back on their own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceRosieLuvsFoodDined on 5/14/2014Food was delicious and the service was very accommodating. We will return!Special Features:
- One of Best on Capitol HillFarina13Dined on 5/11/2014This is a fave restaurant of mine and with good reason. Service is prompt and the waitstaff is very friendly and personable. And as always, the food is delicious. The atmosphere is very relaxed--one can sit and enjoy one's meal without feeling rushed.Special Features:
- Great German Food & BeerLove2eatDined on 5/10/2014If you love German wursts & beer as much as we do this is the place to go. The wursts were delicious, the sauerkraut really good and the beer complimented the meal perfectly, on tap german beer! The German cheese cake was so good I could go back just for that alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sub-parOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/10/2014Service was very slow. took over an hour to get our food and when it finally came it was cold and part of the order was missing. We won't go back.
- DC2014VIPDined on 5/5/2014The huge rat walking around outside was not attractive.Special Features:
- olblueeyesDined on 5/4/2014Food and ambience are great, and quality wise, better than other area German restaurants. But the service was not good. I would have given it a Poor had Chase not been substituted for our prior server. Prior server did not greet us, was unfriendly, rushed our order, screwed up my wife's order and was not helpful with the menu. My entrée was delivered first and after 10 minutes of our server not even checking with us and my wife still not receiving her entree, my wife complained and the manager switched our server who at least tried his best to salvage the evening for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timeBruceDined on 5/4/2014My wife & I dined for first time at Cafe Berlin before Folger theatre show, using a Groupon. We ate outdoors in pleasant weather and, unlike some earlier reviews, the service was very good. All parts of the meal, maybe not the Hollandaise, were very good and we intend to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placenani1978Dined on 5/3/2014I have only come here with a group, and have only been seated outside, but I and my friends have really enjoyed our meals here! Last time, we encountered a sudden torrential downpour and the staff did everything they could to keep us dry and happy. I have never had a problem with their cleanliness and am always impressed by the range and quality of the food and drink offerings and the presentation!!Special Features:
- I miss GermanyLuchDined on 5/3/2014What a gem in Cap Hill. Far enough away from the tourists but close to the Capitol. Authentic Bavarian cooking included my favorite:Saurbraten. The German beer was top notch. This will now be a regular spot for me and my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leslie Dallas,TXLeslieVIPDined on 5/2/2014Good German Restaurant service a little sluggish understaffed for a Friday evening but overall good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a nice timevicseeleyDined on 5/1/2014Cafe Berlin is one of my favorite restaurants in DC. Food is always fresh and chef is willing to work on dishes (as I'm gluten-free). I love going there either in a small group or large group. Outside patio is awesome, though it can be a bit loud (with firetrucks/police cars/buses) but hey you're in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FindLMNODined on 4/29/2014My husband and I used a Groupon to try Cafe Berlin. We were very pleased with all aspects of our visit. Our waitress was very attentive, the food was delicious, the atmosphere cozy on a dreary, rainy night, and it was easy to get to using the Metro. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Good food, slowMochteBiertrinkenDined on 4/27/2014The food at Cafe Berlin was outstanding. The beverages were also wonderful, although they were out of Maibock on tap which was disappointing. Unfortunately, I don't know if it was our waitress or something going on inside, it took 30 minutes to get our initial drinks and we did not even order for the first 45 or 60 minutes we were there. I want to recommend the restaurant in an unqualified manner, but I'm worried about these service issues. A second waitress with a strong personality came and help make things right toward the end of our time there. Her German pride was on display too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time for all...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/25/2014My wife and I really enjoyed our night out with a great staff, food, and drink selections.Special Features:
- New Owners, still great foodJimJDinerDined on 4/25/2014Went with a work colleague. Back when Peggy and Ilsa co-owned the place and I lived on Capitol Hill, I was a regular diner there. Overall both I and my colleague were pleased – she had sauerbraten, I had the blue fish special. The asparagus was pretty leathery, but I don’t fault the restaurant for that. Not my favorite vegetable by any means anyway. Waitress was not up to the former caliber I experienced there, but she may be a relative novice.Special Features:
- Still wonderful under new ownershipDCTCADined on 4/24/2014If you have hesitated fearing that it won't be as good, don't. If you have never been, you have to try it.Special Features:
- stingerDined on 4/24/2014Food was good. Service was very slow. It took a fair amount of time for waitress to initially come to our table. Not enough service staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feels like family!DCJessDined on 4/20/2014We have been regulars at the Cafe Berlin for years. We keep going back because it feels like family when you cannot get home for a holiday or special event.Special Features:
- Hidden GemSLARADined on 4/19/2014If you want real authentic German Fare, you should try Cafe Berlin. In's nestled among a cute Restaurant row on the NE not far from the Capitol. You always feel like family when you go there from the warm welcome to the incredibly knowledgeable servers to the awesome cooks. This little taste of Germany is Simply the Best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Great.MontzingeauDined on 4/18/2014Been awhile since visiting Café Berlin on Capitol Hill. Had family we lived with in Germany for 6 years visiting and it was time for traditional German meal. Café Berlin seated us early for our reservation and service continues to be excellent. Food was outstanding and the menu included all the entrees you'd find in Deutschland. In spite of it being a SPRING day, was too cold for outdoor dining but that is great at Café Berlin when the weather cooperates. Will keep this on my favorites list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service poor, food nothing special.ChapelVIPDined on 4/12/2014We had high hopes for this German eatery. It was a beautiful day and the outdoor seating was wonderful. The server was not. She forgot a number of things throughout the course of the meal, and acted as though she did not want to be there. The food was cold, and caused upset stomachs after we left. We use Open Table regularly, and 90 percent of the places we go are acceptable. This one was not.
- cafe berlinkrissyDined on 4/11/2014excellent service good food and not too expensive. definately worth a visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelySusanDined on 4/10/2014Great location but street parking was a little tight. Staff was very pleasant but service was a bit slow on a busy spring weeknight. We were happy to enjoy the setting and beer while catching up with an old friend. All my German favorites were on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingKaukauDined on 4/10/2014Outstanding meal! Meals are prepared when ordered. Be prepared to wait and enjoy the experience. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie friends liked itLizzieDined on 4/5/2014We had a great dinner recently at Cafe Berlin. Although i have been there many times and thought it was great food I am not a foodie. We took foodie friends for the first time and they loved it. We will come again and recommend it to all.Special Features:
- We were looking for a GermanRobbyDined on 4/4/2014We were looking for a German Restaurant with easy walking distance from Metro, to go to dinner with friends from State Department. We lived in Germany and am usually dissatisfied with American German ?Restaurants. . .Not here. . .Traditional German fare, well prepared, nicely served, pleasent atmosphere. . .We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great German foodRonjimDined on 3/30/2014Service was slow because a large group had booked and they weren't staffed sufficiently to handle the exceptionally large crowd. This is NOT our previous experience (dating back to the 90's). Service has usually been friendly and excellent. One problematic night does not change our high opinion of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.