322 Massachusetts Avenu, NE
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cafeberlin-dc.com/
- Phone: 2025437656x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, German
- Executive Chef: Rico Glage
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room can accommodate up to 45 people sit-down dinner and up to 60 people open buffet, cocktail etc.
- Private Party Contact: Clytie Roberts-Glage 2025437656x
- Cross Street: Between 3rd & 4th
- Public Transit: Union Station on the red line is only 2 short blocks away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located in a residential neighborhood where street parking is typically ample. Alternately, Union Station is just 2 blocks away and has a large parking garage.
A word from Cafe Berlin
Café Berlin has been serving authentic German and traditional cuisine on Capitol Hill since 1985. It occupies the ground floor of three townhouses whose front yards serve as patio for outdoor dining. The interior features a small bar and two cozy dining rooms. The restaurant is located within a short walking distance of Union Station and the U.S. Capitol. It draws politicians, congressional staffer, and tourists as well a loyal following of neighborhood residents. The traditional dishes are authentically prepared with lighter touch by chefs with extensive experience in German cuisine. In addition to the regular menu, the restaurant offer seasonally changing menus that feature fresh asparagus in the spring, salads and light fares in the summer, Bavarian dishes during Oktoberfest in the fall, and wild game in the winter. Desserts which are freshly made in-house include apple strudel, black forest cake, and luscious cream tortes. The bar offers a selection of imported German beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Cafe Berlin - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill ›
Cafe Berlin reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (85)neighborhood gem (73)fit for foodies (38)special occasion (33)good for groups (26)romantic (22)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (5)hot spot (5)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- The Weiner Schnitzel and theOkdiningVIPDined on 6/23/2011The Weiner Schnitzel and the Pork Medallions were both terrific...excellent service was provided by Ashley and this was a very nice experience for our anniversary...
- Refresh yourself herefromSmart2FinishedDined on 6/22/2011We'd had a long day of museums, and took the short stroll up Mass Avenue from Union Station. As the evening was hot and muggy, we opted for an indoor table--it was cool, calm, and the Warsteiner frosty. All of us thought the entrees were outstanding, plus two must-haves: the mixed salad plate and the poppyseed cake w/coffee for dessert. We left for the return to our hotel feeling revived. When in DC next, we're certain to return.Special Features:
- Authentic German food...greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2011Authentic German food...great inside or outside.Good selection of German beer- liked the Dunkel.Special Features:
- When the tip is added automaticallysharsalVIPDined on 6/19/2011When the tip is added automatically to the bill, that item should be carried over to credit card receipt so that the consumer doesn't feel guilty about not filling in the "TIP" space. I added an additional amount even though a tip was stated on the bill just because I felt obligated to do so.Special Features:
- My lovely wife took me hereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/18/2011My lovely wife took me here on Father's Day after playing tourist in some of D.C.'s great museums. It was a tasty end to an enjoyable day. I love German food and Cafe Berlin offers some of the better dishes in the area. Count on a not very expansive but seemingly carefully chosen wine list. The outdoor seating provides a wonderful, interesting and relaxing environment when the weather is nice - as it was when we were there.Special Features:
- The garden is beautiful toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2011The garden is beautiful to sit at night. The food was very good, my German husband said it was "very authentic".Special Features:
- A good place to go for authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/16/2011A good place to go for authentic German food. Three in our party had lived in Germany for at least four years. It was fun to compare the dishes to those found thru out Germany.Special Features:
- As usual, the food at CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/16/2011As usual, the food at Cafe Berlin was excellent. The service was quite good. I had brought two out of town guests and they were extremely pleased.Special Features:
- Good food. The service staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/12/2011Good food. The service staff was unattentive after hello.
- One of our favorite placesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/11/2011One of our favorite places to eat out-Always consistently good food and service. It also is owned by 2 German Ladies that are there to greet you every night and most of the waitstaff is German-so very authentic. Please try to save room for dessert! The desserts are fabulous!Special Features:
- Many time visitor.....pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/10/2011Many time visitor.....pleasant and relaxing spot. Food and beer authentic and very good!Special Features:
- Great authentic German cuisine.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/6/2011Great authentic German cuisine. My husband always ate the same dish when he travels to Berlin and when he wants German food, this is the place to go.Special Features:
- We've been going there forOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2011We've been going there for years. Fantastic food. Even better beer. I think it has the best German food in the area. We had a couple there who tend to be picky eaters and weren't familar with German fare and they loved it.Special Features:
- This place is wonderful. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/4/2011This place is wonderful. The food is great our server was amazing. Always a place to have fun.Special Features:
- Will not be going back... ever.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/3/2011We had a horrible experience at Cafe Berlin. We made reservations for 7:00 but were not sat until 7:20. But once seated we waited another 30 minutes before being greeted by our server. Our waitress was unaccommodating, for example would not change a drink order from one beer to another. She was also snippy with us and by the end of the night was just plain rude. She made mistakes in several entrees (i.e. forgetting dressing on the side, bringing out the wrong entree). Even worse, two entrees (a chicken salad and a soup) came out 20 minutes after all the other entrees, and the waitress didn't appologize or bring any sort of bread while waiting. The manager was also unappologetic. The food was average but the meal was expensive.
- The restaurant food was delicious..OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/3/2011The restaurant food was delicious........and we loved the outdoor eating. We will definitely come back for the great food and ambiance
- Great food and great beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/28/2011Great food and great beer! Especially beer! We all love it! Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- The food was OK, I would notOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/27/2011The food was OK, I would not rave about it, but their outdoor patio is very nice and far enough from the traffic that you don't inhale all the fumes. Service was fine, but the poor waitresses had more they could handle and seemed to be running constantly. they need more staff.Special Features:
- pretty authentic GermanOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/26/2011We enjoyed outstanding service and very reasonable German food. Near Union Station, so getting a taxi after dinner is easy.Special Features:
- Excellent German food experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2011Excellent German food experience. Service was great (Ashley). Tried some German beer which we also enjoyed.Special Features:
- 3 other restaurants next doorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/20/20113 other restaurants next door so vibrant evening atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Not to be missed!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/19/2011Cafe Berlin has a beautiful beer garden located just blocks from Union Station. It is a great place to hang out, drink great German beers, eat good food and enjoy the bustle of the city. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!Special Features:
- Going to dinner at Cafe BerlinFbf1217Dined on 5/14/2011Going to dinner at Cafe Berlin was a last minute decision, and as such I had little time to form any expectations. With that said, I was pleasantly surprised by the many positive features of the restaurant. The food is authentic, tasty, and plentiful. E.G. I was offered a nice selection of German beer by the 1/2 liter, liter, and 2 liter. (Go with the liter.) Our server greatly complimented the atmosphere, was fun, and energetic. I really enjoyed the ambiance as well: it was busy, populated with diners of varied age groups; a little noisy, but not at all difficult to carry on a conversation; and all the while it retained its neighborhood feel. Cafe Berlin comes highly recommended-- I see myself returning in the future.Special Features:
- fantastic anytime or special eventOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2011Wonderful outdoor dining area with a restaurant on each side. Very small bar inside but cozy and friendly patrons and staff. Food was off the chart fantastic. Absolutely no room for desser but the choices were a plenty. Our server Ashley was wonderful not to mention cute as a button. We celebrated our 10th anniversary here and loved every moment of it.Special Features:
- I have eaten here many timesmarianVIPDined on 5/10/2011I have eaten here many times over the years, and have always loved the food. However, on my most recent visit, the service was so bad that I will re-think going there again. We were completely ignored for the first 15 minutes. We had to ask for bread and water - twice, in order to get more than 2 glasses for the 4 of us. It took more than an hour to get our food. When I asked the owner if our order could be hurried, she replied that the delay was caused by my duck order. There was no indication, either on the menu or from our server, that the duck would be especially slow. The waiter offered my son a soda refill, took his glass away, and never returned with it. No time to finish our entrees, and we were still late for the theater.Special Features:
- Super authentic German cuisineBobbyeDined on 5/9/2011Super authentic German cuisine in small intimate cafe on Capitol Hill. Great German regional wines, hard to find German restaurant menu items that actually taste great! Desserts are bragged about, but were actually a bit stale.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/8/2011Very enjoyable, especially for my mother on Mother's Day. (Both her parents were born in Germany.) The food was excellent and authentic, and the service was outstanding. Michaela was our server. Everyone was very friendly.Special Features:
- Cafe Berlin Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2011Belga is a cool place, quite, and nice for a more intimate eating experience. I love the outdoor seating they have. The food is okay, not the best, needs a little bit more spices or salt. But, it was good.
- we were a little bit disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/8/2011we were a little bit disappointed because we had expected a mother's day brunch. But what the cafe offered only was different kinds of omelettes or (cold) crepes. A brunch in my opinion consist of a variety of rolls/bread, cheese, sausages, jams, coffee etc buffet-style. And this was not the case.Next door ("Cacao") looked very much nicer - this would have been the better decision.Special Features:
- The best German restaurant around..KPReatsVIPDined on 5/6/2011It has been a while since we've eaten here. We ordered off the Asparagus Menu and everything was good. It reminded me of when I was stationed in Germany. This is about as authentic as it gets here in the U.S. We brought some out of town guests with us and they were equally impressed. Even though the restaurant was slow when we got there, it filled very quickly and the two servers couldn't handle the amount of diners. I saw at least two parties leave because they couldn't get waited on. This is where management has to step up and start helping out their staff.Special Features:
- Ate outside which improvedKarenDined on 5/6/2011Ate outside which improved the ambiance, and made any noise a non-issue. food was what you would expect from a German restaurant.
- Though I had a reservation,HomeinDCDined on 5/5/2011Though I had a reservation, it took awhile to find some one to seat us, and the reservation never came up. The street was busy with many tour buses blowing exhaust as they went by. The food was good, but the portions were small for the price. At other German restaurants, you typically get a hearty meal portion, seemed more boutique than classic. The server didn't know anything about the bier other than it was "German" when asked which brewery does the bier come from. Not even sure if the bier was from Berlin as the name of the restaurant would imply, didn't even ask about the wine.
- Desserts...so, soOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/29/20111-Liter Beers, Spargo Suppe, Great Entrees, Desserts Bombed! What German restaurant doesn't have Black Forest Cake!Special Features:
- A wonderful Easter Brunch!SusaninKailuaVIPDined on 4/24/2011We came here for the first time for Easter Brunch and enjoyed the Asparagus menu...so many good items to choose from! The service was excellent despite being very busy. It was a beautiful day on the patio and several diners around us gave us suggestions and told us they came here often. We will be back again!Special Features:
- The food and service is veryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/23/2011The food and service is very good. They have some of the best German food in the city. The staff is friendly and the noise level is quiet. It is located in the lower floor of a old row house and could use a bit more liting.Special Features:
- My best experience at CafeHerbDined on 4/19/2011My best experience at Cafe Berlin ever. The place was almost empty which meant almost no noise and excellent service. That has not always been the case in the past. This time it was a perfect experience.
- Excellent. A special SpringOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2011Excellent. A special Spring Asparagus-based menu was a welcome suprise.Special Features:
- I have the wienerscnitzle.OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/18/2011I have the wienerscnitzle. It was mediocre. okay place to grab a bite of you are over there, but not worth a trip. Outdoor seating a plus.
- If you like German food andbird3Dined on 4/17/2011If you like German food and ambiance this is for you. I'm cutting back on those calories...
- Authentic food...WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/17/2011Authentic food...Wonderful weissbeir!!! As good as what we ate/drank in Germany.Special Features: