48 Temple Place
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://stoddardsfoodandale.com/
- Phone: 6174260048x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Lunch: Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:30am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jason Fiset
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We are pleased to accommodate private and semi-private events during our lunch, dinner and bar hours. Our private room holds up to 35 seated guests, or 70 standing guests for a cocktail reception. We also offer several options for semi-private events.
A word from Stoddard's
Welcome to Stoddard's Fine Food & Ale - a late 1800s style pub featuring craft beer and classic cocktails, paired with a menu of early American fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stoddard's reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (23)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (15)hot spot (8)notable wine list (6)romantic (5)special occasion (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (1)Show More
- great space, killer tap listOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/15/2013My first visit. Lovely old space. Great rotating tap list. Eclectic menu with fun munchies and comfort food options. On a cold day sitting near the entryway can be suboptimal.Special Features:
- Good rabbitChrisDined on 12/14/2013Good food, restaurant was a little bit cold but we were sitting next to the door and it was 10 degrees out so I suppose I cannot complain too much about that. Service was fine. Rabbit was tasty albeit with strong bacon flavor. My girlfriend's cheeseburger was nothing special for $14, but the fries were good. Beer & nostalgic cocktail selection were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, solid dining.WendyEVIPDined on 12/13/2013We always have a great time at Stoddard's - this was no exception. The food can be a little heavy, but perfectly fitting the cold night we dined there. Get the fondue to share with a group!Special Features:
- I had a reservation for 2OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/13/2013I had a reservation for 2 but we were unable to sit on a backless chair. There was a table for 4 where we could sit together and no one had a reservation for it. The hostess let us sit their and gave it to us but very ungraciously even though the place was 1/3 empty. The seats at the table also had rips in the upholstery.
- Not a place for dinner on SaturdayAl523Dined on 12/7/2013I'm sure Stoddards is great for lunch on a weekday or maybe an early weekend dinner, but definitely not the place to eat on a Saturday night. They were incredibly busy because of an overcrowded bar scene, which meant service was very slow. They blamed it on a broken computer system, which was possibly true, but it didn't get much better as the night went on. The food is decent, but pricey, especially for the terrible atmosphere. Who wants to drop $50 on dinner when shouting over loud bar patrons? Also, for some reason, they kept turning the lights out on the diners. It happened about three times, and every time it would take the manager or someone else walking over to turn them back on so that we weren't eating in the dark. So strange.Special Features:
- Nice place if you like BeerABMustangDined on 12/4/2013This was recommended by a friend, we went for a casual/business outing. A lot on tap, food was surprisingly good. Place was crowded and loud! Not kid friendly at least when we went.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, OK serviceBerkerycVIPDined on 11/23/2013Food was good. Not a ton of options, but definitely some good ones. Good drink/beer list. Fun spotSpecial Features:
- Any place that has deviledOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2013Any place that has deviled eggs and warm pretzels/mustard is a winner in my book. It wasn't just that, we loved everything about this place. The decor, the food, the service, and the laid back atmosphere. The salmon over beluga lentils was just what I needed after stuffing myself with pretzels! I look forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for lunch and theMagsDined on 11/22/2013We went for lunch and the staff understood the need to be in and out in an hour. The food was very good. The fish and chips delicious. The charcuterie appetizer fresh and gave a lot of variety. The place was lively with business lunchers. I would recommend Stoddards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service slow but waiter apologized.sueboDined on 11/22/2013Service was slow. I'd indicated in reservation 10 of us were on a lunch break and we needed to be in and out quickly. Our waiter forgot one of our groups meals but could not apologize enough, including a suggestion that we not tip him (of course we did). The food was great. I will definitely go back and give them (and him) another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stoddard's has a great beerTouchbaseVIPDined on 11/17/2013Stoddard's has a great beer selection on draught and bottle, worth stopping in for that reason alone. We were there for dinner because it was close to the Orpheum. The food was average and higher then pub prices but no complaints, that was our level of expectation. The kitchen got backed up and our food came out later then desired by the restaurant apparently (we had mentioned to the waitress we were going tot he show) and our meal was unexpectedly comped by the manager without even a complaint voiced by us. Nice touch!Special Features:
- Great place!TRTinNHDined on 11/17/2013Having reservations on a Sunday night was critical as people without were being turned away at the door. No waiting for our 5:30 reservation! We all ordered the Stoddard burger (some with fries and others with onion rings that looked like doughnuts!) except for one who order the fish and chips. We all loved our food! We had drinks (Moscow Mule and Old Fashioned), an IPA, and a nice Malbec. The bill was $220; with the booze we drank, that felt about right. The only downside was the service; we had to call the waiter over several times; only once did he come over unbeckoned even though we were right in his path. It took a long time to pay, and we were rushing to catch a show... Overall, VERY pleased and will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor choice on a Sunday nightBonnieDined on 11/17/2013Our party of 4 arrived early for our 5:30 dinner reservation on a Sunday evening. Our order was not complicated: 2 salads, 1 soup, a chicken pot pie and a steak dinner. 75 minutes later our food finally arrived with the only explanation that the kitchen was backed up. While the food was good, the long wait was unacceptable. I would not recommend this restaurant.
- been to stoddard's a few times!EKOballetDined on 11/10/2013great place to eat in opera house district; tasty and not the same old menu; amazing draft beer selection, good cocktails; and i love the architectural details and decor! Working my way through the menu, all excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wanted to like this moreanonymousDined on 11/9/2013I wanted to like this more than I did. The food and service were very mixed. Charcuterie plate, wings and fondue were very good. The burger looked good. The two entrees recommended by the waiter - the rabbit and the duck were disappointing. The duck had a 1/4 inch of unrendered fat and the sauce was non-existent. The rabbit was missing the boneless rabbit and was mostly layers of bacon wrapped around "rabbit mousse" that didn't seem to have any rabbit in it. Finally the waiter was non-existient after the initial order, and he dropped the check on our table without asking if we wanted another round of drinks. To drive the point home, the hostess also came by to rush us on paying the check despite a number of empty tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hits the markPattyVIPDined on 10/19/2013My third time dining here before heading to a show. Excellent beer menu. Our server, Corey, was knowledgeable and professional. The food was delicious and well executed. The short rib melted in your mouth and the portion was large. The rib eye cooked to perfection and the charcuterie was well balanced with meats and cheeses. The kitchen has been consistent in its execution of its tasty dishes over the course of my last 3 visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently delicious!EmilyVIPDined on 10/13/2013I have been to Stoddard's a handful of times now, and the food is always creative and delicious! The cocktail list is also great- a fun mix of classics and new creations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Common, run-of-the-mill pun wannabeJAZARKDined on 10/11/2013I went for lunch and don't why but based on what I had read, I expected a little more upscale. I felt it was dingy, tired and used. Food was ok, nothing special. Staff didn't notice me except to take order, bring food and check.
- Worth trying!lsc510VIPDined on 10/5/2013My husband and I went on a Saturday night. It seemed slow for a Saturday... We really enjoyed the food and cocktails, my husband liked the extensive beer options. However, service was terrible, the worst we have had in a very long time. We finished our meals and drinks and sat for 30 minutes waiting for the waitress to come back to our table. She was nowhere to be seen. When she did come back, she gave us the check without asking if we wanted anything else or clearing our plates...Special Features:
- Not what we were expectingPamelaDined on 10/1/2013We were on our way to Celtic Thunder an looked for a nearby restaurant for dinner. We were there at 5:30 so found the after work crowd a little loud, but the food was good and the service was great! Next time we might go a little later after the "bar crowd had gone" ThanksSpecial Features:
- Will try againTNT2EATVIPDined on 9/20/2013We tried the steak and over cooked then when replaced the waiter (who was not even our waiter) must have asked us at least 5 times if it was good. To the point of being a little obnoxious. We also had the duck which was good. However we heard that this place is best for burgers and they did look good. Very dark and loud restaurant.Special Features:
- A nice find in the theatre districtOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2013Found Stoddard's when looking for someplace new to eat before the theatre. Looked like a noisy pub when we first walked in, and this impression was correct. But the food was excellent! Short ribs, fish and tater tots, and rib-eye were all done perfectly, with nicely prepared side dishes. Server was knowledgeable and fun. Wish the noise level was lower. But we'll definitely go again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2013Best part of this place was its proximity to the show we were going to see. Otherwise, it was a disappointment. Had high hopes based on ambience and beer offerings that it would be a good place. Service was slow and she forgot to bring apps. Burgers were just ok. Server was not attentive once meal served.
- nice pubdrnickDined on 9/18/2013Always like going to stoddards. Waiters are helpful and friendly. Food is nice. Good beer selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will definitely eat here againSoooogoodDined on 9/14/2013I went for the drinks but stayed for the experience. My date and I were not expecting the quality of food we had. I ordered the steak frites and my date the Stoddard burger. The steak was tender and juicy and the burger was something of a masterpiece: from the roll they use to the construction of the burger itself. It was perfect. The drink selection only helped the dining experience. They were carefully crafted and very delicious. I would very much like to enjoy another meal there again. Soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good addition to Downtown Crossing!agirlsgottaeatVIPDined on 9/14/2013Have been to Stoddard's three times now and I still want to go back. Good beer selection. Good food. Can be a bit crazy/busy, but then again, you don't want to eat at a place that is empty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much for the priceGlock30Dined on 9/14/2013Very noisy bar atmosphere. Chicken pot pie was tiny for $23. No bread on the table. Service was slow, but I believe due to lack of staffing, not from the effort of the servers,who were polite and doing the best they could. Food was tasty but overpriced for portion size and lacking any extras. No salt and pepper on table. Would not go here again.
- Date nightChatterboxDined on 9/13/2013My wife and I like to take date nights when we can, and on this night we were in the city to see the clossing show Wicked at the Boston Opera House. Our waiter was new that night, but not new to being a waiter. He offered great food recomendations, and wine choices. The food and expierene along with a great atomsphere added to a great night. Only two bloks from the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of our favorite placesWendyEVIPDined on 8/24/2013We are always happy to dine here and this meal was no exception! We thought the food was excellent, as always, and the Moscow Mules are off the hook. The bartenders are so great there. Fabulous spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- before theaterNewYearsDinnerDined on 8/22/2013was a fine meal before a night at the theater. Took awhile to get a seat and service even though we had a reservation. beer selection was fantastic. food was good. better than you would expect from a tavern. would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the food and wineFoodiesDined on 8/16/2013Enjoyed the food and wine before seeing a show. Great location and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastro-Pub with CharmOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2013Whether you're in for the wide selection of old-timey cocktails, the delicious oysters on the half-shell and other eats (ranging from pot of pickles to fondue to duck dinner), or the cozy interior (the dominant intricately-carved wood bar, exposed brick walls, street lamps, and black and white prints), you can't go wrong! It can be a little loud and cramped with an after work crowd, but they had no trouble seating us a little earlier than the reservation and thoughtfully pulled up an available stool for an impromptu third.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bartenders were great. TryJodi9600Dined on 8/8/2013Bartenders were great. Try the Moscow Mule - it's fantastic.Special Features:
- We went to Stoddards beforeDaveDined on 7/19/2013We went to Stoddards before a show and had a great meal. Service was prompt but not rushing. Food was fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Made a last minute reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2013Made a last minute reservation for a group of 10. Had a really good meal, great service and awesome beer options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I feel that I don't need tochloebuttsVIPDined on 6/22/2013I feel that I don't need to dine at Stoddard's again. I enjoy their cocktail program and the beer selections but the food is under whelming. For a $14 burger (which I am usually ok with a burger at most prices) this was meager. The beef was good but the size was not worth the price. I liked the special sauce that they make in house. Our waiter was great, very attentive and helpful. The soup was ok but boring after a few spoon fulls. Crab cake was fair but small. I'd happily go back for a drink or two, but again don't think we will need to partake in their dining.Special Features:
- Delicious! Our server, Corey,swgreene8VIPDined on 6/21/2013Delicious! Our server, Corey, was a lot of fun and knew the menu well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great!fullnhappyDined on 5/31/2013This was my first trip to Stodddard's and I was pleasantly surprised! My waitress was awesome along with all her colleagues! The food was fantastic! Since I am a wine drinker, I was happy to find out that they had an extensive list for my taste buds. I think I now have a new favorite spot to visit on the weekends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our Dinnererinh1VIPDined on 5/28/2013Food was delicious, some of the best we had during our 10 day vacation. Dined fairly late on a Tuesday night so loud noise was not an issue (as others have mentioned). I had the duck which ranked right up there as the best I've ever had. Husband had the tenderloin which I thought was fantastic and he proclaimed it very good. Unanimous that the creamed potatoes were to die for--don't know what their secret is but the best potatoes ever. Rhubard with mango garnish dessert was delicious. Only disappointment was their coffee machine was broken (?). So for a cup of coffee modified a latte from the espresso machine; paid the espresso price and no second cup offered. Waiter was very attentive and talkative. Definitely would return.Special Features:
- Impeccable food and aerviceKmonica43013VIPDined on 5/24/2013By far the best brunch we ever had. Went here for my husbands 30th birthday breakfast and they even put a candle in his French toast! Incredible food, best Bloody Mary, and great service and ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.