48 Temple Place
Boston, MA 02111Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://stoddardsfoodandale.com/
- Phone: 6174260048x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Lunch: Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Sunday 10:30am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Jason Fiset
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We are pleased to accommodate private and semi-private events during our lunch, dinner and bar hours. Our private room holds up to 35 seated guests, or 70 standing guests for a cocktail reception. We also offer several options for semi-private events.
A word from Stoddard's
Welcome to Stoddard's Fine Food & Ale - a late 1800s style pub featuring craft beer and classic cocktails, paired with a menu of early American fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Stoddard's reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (24)neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (14)late-night find (10)special occasion (9)notable wine list (8)hot spot (8)romantic (5)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Fun good foodSteve1Dined on 4/5/2014Noisy and full of energy, great pre-theatre placed for good mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After TheaterSilverlightDined on 4/5/2014Four of us had reservations at Stoddard's for an early dinner after a 2:00 show at the Boston Opera House. We arrived for dinner a few minutes early but were seated immediately. The service, food, drinks, and ambiance were all that we hoped they would be. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll be backCharlesHDined on 3/29/2014Best cheeseburger I have had in a long time... period.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!ray1031Dined on 3/28/2014We were looking for a great meal, and this more than fit the bill! Worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stop between work and night clubNickDined on 3/26/2014I met up with a friend after work, and another friend wandered in to join us. My salmon and lentils dish was amazing, and the lemonade was freshly made. The cocktail list is extensive and tempting, it was hard to resist! The duck poutine my friend had could use some work though (we are picky Canadians).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceKfitzDined on 3/23/2014Excellent beer selection, knowledgeable server, and the best onion rings I've had in my life. Everything else was pretty good, but not amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a group of 12 and allMBP246Dined on 3/22/2014We had a group of 12 and all enjoyed ourselves and the food. The waitress was patient with us and had excellent drink suggestions. There was not a long wait for the food. My only complaint was that it was pretty dark in there (we were seated in the lower level) and the bathroom stalls weren't very clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pub - The BEST onion ringsdoallthingsDined on 3/19/2014A great spot for apre-theater. Large and creative drink menu, great list of beers. Everything from scratch. Pub food at its best. Ate the pulled pork and a very juicy burger. Get the beer battered onion rings - even if you never get fried - so worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic Pub with Excellent FoodIzzyBDined on 3/15/2014Went to Stoddard's for Saturday brunch and was really pleased. The food was excellent - the BLTA (blt with avocado) was delicious - and the beer selection exactly what you would expect from a beautiful traditional looking pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Drinks and FoodMarinaDined on 3/14/2014Love this place! Ambiance is very nice, lighting is low....drinks are plentiful and very unique, and the food was great. Will definitely be back :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great location and back storyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/14/2014great location and back story but the food is always a let down for the prices they charge. Good for a beer, but skip the mediocre $26 entrees.Special Features:
- Better than the North EndkiwiluvDined on 3/7/2014Traditional food with a modern twist (including ambiance), definitely makes us want to come back again. A little bit pricey for the food portions, but it's appropriately priced for the quality of the food. Had the pasta carbonara (better than some I've had in Italy) and the sopressatta pizza. Next feat will be to try the bolognes, which normally I'm very picky about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exactly what we were looking for!aleighDined on 3/7/2014I went in for dinner after work and before a show with my sister. We were looking for delicious cocktails, a cool ambience, and great food. We had the warm goat cheese salad, the mussels, and a chicken pot pie. All three were absolutely amazing. Our server Corey (pretty sure that was his name) was super knowledgeable about both drinks and food and had great suggestions. It was pretty busy but he was super patient and understanding about our quicker than normal timeline because of our show. If you are looking for an after work place that goes way beyond your typical bad food and has a cool, but not overdone speakeasy vibe, check it out. You will get great service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchKVanAmDined on 3/6/2014I went there for lunch on a weekday, and had a fantastic experience. Great beer list, great food, excellent service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimeFancyDined on 3/1/2014We had a good dinner prior to going to a show. Servers were very attentive to us and were sure we were able to leave in time for the show. Good fun- lots of young singles at the bar. Fun placeSpecial Features:
- SuggestionsSailorWomanDined on 2/22/2014I was ordering the duo duck with a malbec. Our waiter suggested a sangiovese/merlot wine as a better choice to compliment the duck. It was a good choice. I had a lovely mealSpecial Features:
- Good food, service was not greatJenniDined on 2/21/2014I just recently went here, and the service was terrible! The server was standing around, just talking to his other coworker. I like the restaurant, because the interior is unique and rustic, but if I could give a negative point for service I would. Otherwise, sit at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- POUTINE!!Sav888VIPDined on 2/18/2014They make poutine. And it's delicious. I haven't had a meal (or drink!) at Stoddard's that I haven't loved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerbriantharrisonDined on 2/14/2014The menu is great, there is an extensive bar list with many cocktails, draft beers, and drinks to choose from. Can't recommend this place enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food..service not so muchdtxdinerDined on 2/14/2014came for valentine's day dinner. we had a 8:30 res but were a bit late b/c the lack of parking in the dtx area so they told us we had to wait. no biggie. so we ordered drinks at the bar which had a good selection of draft beers. we got our seats 10-15 min later. we got raw oysters for an app, the ribeye, and the duckduo. the oysters were tiny and flavorless. prob mistake to order it from non-seafood rest. The duckduo had confit duck leg and a pan roasted duck breast with risotto. the duck breast and risotto were great but the confit duck leg was super dry and just terrible. take the confit out and the dish was great. the ribeye was just ordinary but cooked well. the service was blah. would come back for the bar but not the wait serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our party of six thoroughlyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/8/2014Our party of six thoroughly enjoyed the lively atmosphere and great food. Plenty of attention and made it to the theater with time to spare. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After the showCraigDined on 1/12/2014We attended a matinee performance at the Boston Opera House, which ended at about 3:20 PM. I had made reservatons at 4 PM for our group of 6 but we arrived early. We were seated immediately and told that the kitchen was just opening. Following beverage orders the waiter took appitizer orders, which came without undue delay (the mussels were very very good). The waiter then took our dinner orders. Everything went beautifully and everyone's dinner was scored as very good to outstanding. Salmon, short ribs, hanger steak and rabbit were the choices at our table. My son and a friend had recently been to the restaurant to enjoy the bar scene and some music. They enjoyed their time, as did we. I recommend Stoddard's and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for datesJenniDined on 1/7/2014Reservations fill up quickly, make one ahead of time for dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Missing the marktjbartjrDined on 1/4/2014I've been to Stoddard's about half a dozen times over the past two years; I typically sit or stand at the bar, and the service has always been good. I had dinner there once about a year ago, and the food was good. I've always been to the upstairs dining room/bar; Saturday night was my first visit to the lower dining room for my birthday. The food was good as usual, but the service was poor. Our waiter was extremely inattentive, and borderline rude. One example: my girlfriend split a side of brussels sprouts with me; we had to ask twice to get them, and they didn't arrive until we were both almost finished with dinner. Another example: he didn't offer dessert. What server doesn't offer dessert? Really left a sour taste in my mouth.Special Features:
- love this placeJeffDined on 1/3/2014Food and Beers are great. great atmosphere. Not your typical Boston bar/restaurant. one of my favorite spots in boston to have a nice beer and the bacon wrapped rabbit with a side of donut sized onion rings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EvetowniescumDined on 12/31/2013Made reservations far in advance for a nice NYE dinner. Our special evening with friends was interrupted when the restaurant abruptly shut off the music and turned up the lights. We felt rushed and were informed that someone had booked the restaurant and we needed to finish up our dining experience.
- Amazing food and beers.BubbaDawgDined on 12/31/2013Went because found it on one of my Craft beer Apps. Beer selection was great and so was the food. Plan on making a return.Special Features:
- Besides the food enjoy theDhanVIPDined on 12/29/2013Besides the food enjoy the history, signs say it was built in 1868 and interior shows that nicely - loved the ceilings and the bar,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks, so so foodjumpergirl1Dined on 12/28/2013We were very excited to try this restaurant, but were sadly disappointed by the food. I ordered the fish and chips...I wasn't expecting a huge plate, but what I received was sadly lacking. One small piece of fish appeared that was poorly battered and had very little taste. It was accompanied by a salty salad and what was described as homemade tater tots...not impressed. However, the mixed drink that I ordered was phenomenal! Moscow Mule was fresh, potent and well worth the price. I would definitely go back for drinks and appetizers, but not dinner. Great atmosphere and close to the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent neighborhood spotDanoDined on 12/20/2013A decent but run of the mill restaurant. Convenient to downtown shopping areas. Eclectic crowd.
- great space, killer tap listOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/15/2013My first visit. Lovely old space. Great rotating tap list. Eclectic menu with fun munchies and comfort food options. On a cold day sitting near the entryway can be suboptimal.Special Features:
- Good rabbitChrisDined on 12/14/2013Good food, restaurant was a little bit cold but we were sitting next to the door and it was 10 degrees out so I suppose I cannot complain too much about that. Service was fine. Rabbit was tasty albeit with strong bacon flavor. My girlfriend's cheeseburger was nothing special for $14, but the fries were good. Beer & nostalgic cocktail selection were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, solid dining.WendyEVIPDined on 12/13/2013We always have a great time at Stoddard's - this was no exception. The food can be a little heavy, but perfectly fitting the cold night we dined there. Get the fondue to share with a group!Special Features:
- I had a reservation for 2OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/13/2013I had a reservation for 2 but we were unable to sit on a backless chair. There was a table for 4 where we could sit together and no one had a reservation for it. The hostess let us sit their and gave it to us but very ungraciously even though the place was 1/3 empty. The seats at the table also had rips in the upholstery.
- Not a place for dinner on SaturdayAl523Dined on 12/7/2013I'm sure Stoddards is great for lunch on a weekday or maybe an early weekend dinner, but definitely not the place to eat on a Saturday night. They were incredibly busy because of an overcrowded bar scene, which meant service was very slow. They blamed it on a broken computer system, which was possibly true, but it didn't get much better as the night went on. The food is decent, but pricey, especially for the terrible atmosphere. Who wants to drop $50 on dinner when shouting over loud bar patrons? Also, for some reason, they kept turning the lights out on the diners. It happened about three times, and every time it would take the manager or someone else walking over to turn them back on so that we weren't eating in the dark. So strange.Special Features:
- Nice place if you like BeerABMustangDined on 12/4/2013This was recommended by a friend, we went for a casual/business outing. A lot on tap, food was surprisingly good. Place was crowded and loud! Not kid friendly at least when we went.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, OK serviceBerkerycVIPDined on 11/23/2013Food was good. Not a ton of options, but definitely some good ones. Good drink/beer list. Fun spotSpecial Features:
- Any place that has deviledOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2013Any place that has deviled eggs and warm pretzels/mustard is a winner in my book. It wasn't just that, we loved everything about this place. The decor, the food, the service, and the laid back atmosphere. The salmon over beluga lentils was just what I needed after stuffing myself with pretzels! I look forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for lunch and theMagsDined on 11/22/2013We went for lunch and the staff understood the need to be in and out in an hour. The food was very good. The fish and chips delicious. The charcuterie appetizer fresh and gave a lot of variety. The place was lively with business lunchers. I would recommend Stoddards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service slow but waiter apologized.sueboDined on 11/22/2013Service was slow. I'd indicated in reservation 10 of us were on a lunch break and we needed to be in and out quickly. Our waiter forgot one of our groups meals but could not apologize enough, including a suggestion that we not tip him (of course we did). The food was great. I will definitely go back and give them (and him) another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.