620 5th Street
Santa Rosa, CA 95401Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistro29.com/
- Phone: 7075462929
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday:5:00PM - 9:00PM, Friday & Saturday:5:00PM - 9:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Brian Anderson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details
- Private Party Contact: Brian Anderson 7075462929
A word from Bistro 29
Bistro 29 located in downtown Santa Rosa, Sonoma County. Bistro 29 is a traditional bistro specializing in “Breton” regional cuisine. The number 29 comes from the department of Finistère (end of the earth) located in the upper tip of north-west France. Known for the Galette de blé noir (traditional buckwheat crêpe) and sweet crêpes, Bretagne also uses a variety of local seafood and produce that can easily be found in and around northern California.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bistro 29 - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
Bistro 29 reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (71)special occasion (57)neighborhood gem (47)romantic (42)notable wine list (26)good for groups (13)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Second visitsgiffVIPDined on 6/27/2014Our second time and again charmed by very interesting flavour combinations - chef adds a creative flair to each dish, making them stand out from the ordinary. At the same time, not so outrageous that you can't identify your food. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Consistently fantastic!bbbabyDined on 6/27/2014The food at Bistro 29 is consistently fantastic, seasonally spot on, taking advantage of Sonoma county's bounty. Chef Brian is creative and loves his craft, and it shows!Special Features:
- Consistently OutstandingTravelerDined on 6/26/2014Bistro 29 delivers a delicious meal with grace and charm, at a reasonable price. Opt for a favorite standard or a surprising special meal from the diverse menu. The steamed mussels in tomato broth with chickpea fries (panisse frites) or the day boat scallops with corn beignets provides a light-but-filling meal. The traditional cassoulet or the steak frites (try it with panisse frites instead of regular fries) is richly satisfying. The many traditional buckwheat crepes make their own wonderful statements. Wines are well-selected to match the food, and the servers are helpful with pairing. Tuesday through Thursday you can choose a fixed-price menu dinner for $29, plus two glasses of paired wines for another $11. You can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local findSteveDined on 6/24/2014The Tuesday through Thursday dinner specials are the best value in Santa Rosa. Great food and service. Wine paring goes well with the specials. This is our favorite Resturant in Santa RosaSpecial Features:
- Love this placeLorraineDnurseDined on 6/21/2014Bistro 29 is a real Santa Rosa gem. The service is warm & welcoming w/o cloying. The food is a delight to the senses and satisfying in multiple ways. The French onion soup was as good as I had in Paris: which is to say; divine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!heatherandjoeDined on 6/18/2014We have been to Bistro 29 on many occasions and we have never been disappointed in the food or the service. The wait staff is attentive, the food is fresh and very tasty, and their special menus have a nice variety. We love that place!Special Features:
- Fantastic little spotboopsalaDined on 6/17/2014This restaurant flies under the radar, but is one of my favorite downtown Santa Rosa eating spots. It is French, and has fabulous food, while being completely unpretentious and comfortable. It was a perfect spot for my sweetie's 50th birthday celebration with 6 good friends. The wait staff was welcoming, did not hover, and while not perfectly efficient, was entirely adequate. We had a fantastic evening and several of us enjoyed the prix fixe menu option available that Tuesday evening. A treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Groundbreaking dessertDessertdragonDined on 6/7/2014I took my aunt uncle boyfriend and 13 yr old niece out to dinner here on 7th June and would highly recommend this restaurant. Top menu choices definitely the scallops and the sticky toffee fig for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy DinershappydinerDined on 6/6/2014Pleasant service, well presented and tasty food. Nice happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 571 reviews are from the Bistro 29 reviews archive.
- Bistro 29Food4meDined on 5/30/2014Love this place. It's so quaint and cozy. Food is always fantastic and the service was great. Truly is a neighborhood gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedluv2dineDined on 5/30/2014From the start the services was below par. Myself and one of my guest were ignored by the staff. It took 15 minutes to bring us drinks and wine and after another 30 minutes the staff came by to check what we ordered as they could not read what was written down. The real trouble came with the food. Scallops were raw, lamb was very fatty and lacked flavor, the crepes had an off taste, and one meal was completely forgotten, they did bring it but the rest of us were done eating at that point. The Duabe of Beef was very good. This was our first visit, and with so many choices in Sonoma County likely our last.
- Great foodErikDined on 5/30/2014It was our second visit and it was okay. The waitress was un attentive. Chicken was a bit chewy and appetizer was not what it should be. Anyway I'd rather remember this place for our first visit when everything was just wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem at its best!!!MorcellaDined on 5/28/2014Our friends visit 1-2 x each year and love the Sonoma Co offerings of restaurants. We take great pleasure in sharing our local favorits. We four had excellent meals, service and smiles! Whether we order the three course special Tues-Thurs, or a la carte, we are always pleased with our selections!Special Features:
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014We had a nice dinner with a great dessert and very good service. The only thing I would change is to try to go there more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!paulafoodDined on 5/24/2014We enjoyed everything about this meal - service,food, wine list, dessert. The scallops were the best I've ever tasted. The atmosphere is cozy without being stuffy. As a party of six, we were able to converse easily, no shouting. We will plan on visiting again the next time we stay in Santa Rosa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- krOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014Excellent food and service. The salmon and steak dishes were the best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceItaliaBellaVIPDined on 5/21/2014Loved this restaurant! Great find in downtown Santa Rosa. The service was top notch! Our waiter was very charming (I wish I would have got his name) and the bus staff was great too! Very friendly group. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. We had the price fixed menu and every course was tasty and generous. I will definitely dine here again when I'm in the area. Charming!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014Interesting menu, excellent execution, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in Santa RosagrillboyDined on 5/10/2014Bistro 29 reminded us of a recent trip to Paris. Excellent French bistro food, including great sauces, crepes, and desserts. We enjoyed a crepe before our entrees of chicken in terragon sauce and steak frites in a pink peppercorn sauce. All were excellent. The desserts were special too. We had the profiterole in chocolate sauce and chocolate fondant cake with salted caramel ice cream, both delicious. I would highly recommend Bistro 29.Special Features:
- Awesome as always!BontadorDined on 5/8/2014Bistro 29 is our go-to favorite, fantastic meal, great vibe, super service.Special Features:
- GREAT FRENCH RESTAURANTLOVEGOODFOODDined on 4/23/2014THIS IS A LITTLE GEM IN DOWNTOWN SANTA ROSA. THEY HAVE A WONDERFUL FIXED PRICE DINNER FOUR NIGHTS A WEEK. THE REGULAR MENU IS SUPERB. DESSERTS ARE WONDERFUL. VERY REASONABLE PRICES.Special Features:
- Best Brittany style French foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2014We had many dietary restrictions due to Passover. The chef handled it very well. Delicious food. Great creative touches. Will visit again soon.Special Features:
- Disappointed :(HollywoodVIPDined on 4/19/2014Service was excellent~food not so much, very disappointed. Escargot was served in a green (maybe pea) think sauce with no taste. Beef was very tough. My husband said chicken was so so could do better at home. It was several years since being there will not return. Personally I would not specifically recommend this restaurant.
- THE place is eat in Santa RosaFoodLoverDined on 4/10/2014I love food. I love good food. Bistro 29 is THE place to go to in Santa Rosa for good food. I often have the lettuce as a starter. It comes with a fromage blanc vinaigrette to die for. Last night, I had the sauteed sole as a main dish. I really relished its parsnip purée. I wasn't hungry anymore, but I didn't want to stop here. All the desserts look appetizing on the menu. As I couldn't make my choice, I picked the gourmand, a selection a several bit size desserts. It was exquisite. The staff is really attentive, and they have a $29 prix fixe that's unbeatable. I really recommend Bistro 29 next time you want to have top quality meal - or a romantic dinner - in a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Started with a delicious JardescaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/10/2014Started with a delicious Jardesca California Aperitiva and then an outstanding prix fixe meal with wine pairing. Absolutely delicious. Chef Brian is wonderful and Bistro 29 is a gem....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent scallopsedslDined on 4/5/2014The scallops were to die for--sweet, soft, buttery. I noticed that many diners were enjoying the traditional French dish,Steak Frites. I always enjoy that when I'm in France but this time I went with the scallops and I'm glad I did. We really enjoyed our meal and the ability to talk without fighting restaurant noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another memorable mealEricVIPDined on 4/3/2014My wife and I visited again the other evening and had a terrific experience (again). Food was great and service was impeccable. Mussels (moules) for an appetizer, this time with the Pernod Crème sauce (quite popular and highly recommended) accompanied by a glass of Sparkling, followed by Lola Rosa salad (wonderful collection of textures and flavors - just right) and for the main course Daube of Beef (boeuf) with potato-St Jorge cheese croquettes - the beef was succulent, tender and powerfully flavorful with a red wine reduction, the potato-cheese croquettes were rich and creamy and great with a bottle of Vaqueyras. All-in-all another terrific experience; no room for dessert this time (maybe next time - we will be back).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful French spotOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/3/2014This is truly French in every way but with a Sonoma-fresh bent. Innovative dishes true to the style of Brittany but using all the best of Sonoma. Wonderful staff, friendly, wash and knowledgeable. The best in the North Bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro 29 super Sonoma County eatsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/3/2014Great restaurant with superb food and wine - amazing experience for all and especially those who relish perfectly matched foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Keep Coming BackawolfgirlDined on 4/1/2014Every time we need to celebrate (or just acknowledge something important), we discuss all of the wonderful restaurants we could go to. More often than not, though, we come back to Bistro 29. Wonderful food, and the cozy ambiance and great service, make it too hard to resist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous French CuisineLalaenjoyedDined on 3/28/2014Highly recommend this restaurant! Happy hour appetizers were fantastic and dinner was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Confit Heaven2SRfoodiesDined on 3/27/2014Duck Confit is one of the many wonderful dishes that is offered from time to time as the weekly Prix Fixe. The most recent Duck Confit Prix Fixe included luscious French lentils with a toasted goat cheese arugula salad.as a first course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Diners Will ReturnFoodieDined on 3/27/2014This was the first time we dined at Bistro 29 and we were definitely not disappointed. I had the special three course menu with wine parings that are offered weekly. It was a wonderful value. My duck confit was quite good as was the salad with goat cheese and the dessert. My husband had the daube of beef and was quite happy with it also. The staff was friendly and professional although we would have been happy with a little more time between courses. The atmosphere is bistro casual--relaxing and comfortable. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Superb Price:Quality RatioGourmandDined on 3/27/2014Bistro 29 is hands-down THE BEST value for quality food in Sonoma County.Special Features:
- We had our anniversary dinnerElceeVIPDined on 3/19/2014We had our anniversary dinner here. They gave us a special table for 2 at a corner where you can talk. Everything was terrific as noted above. From the food to the service. It is one of our favorite restaurants in Sonoma County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Down Town French Gemopentabler7VIPDined on 3/19/2014Great welcoming atmosphere. The steak frites was very upscale and the wines by the glass were generous and well thought out. Dessert was also a high point. Very convenient location near the back entrance to Russian River Brewing just down the street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh..IrinaDined on 3/15/2014The food was good, service just ok. The atmosphere was less than "vibrant". Although all tables were full, there were a lot of older people and it was too quiet. It was good to try once, but we like places that are little more fun.
- Bistro 29 was OK...VicSDined on 3/15/2014...but just OK. There was nothing that I thought was memorable. The wine pairings were fine, but the food was ordinary. The service was the same. Not bad, but lackluster. We had to ask when our dessert would arrive. This was our fourth visit to the restaurant, and it has been like this each time. I don't think we'll be back.
- marvellous!DragonDined on 3/14/2014Our dinning experience was extremely good. On a Friday evening the restaurant was just about full and the wife and I were easily able to enjoy a romantic evening together. The food was amazing, we both enjoyed every single bite thoroughly! The presentation was fabulous! We will definitely return and recommend this place to our friends. Mr. Anderson has got a great thing going here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative FrenchGigiDined on 3/14/2014Yes, there were all the French sauces but more importantly to us great blends of vegetable ingredients like parsnips, ginger and lemon in a soup. And I do not remember seeing breast of lamb on a restaurant menu. We also found the smallish size of the restaurant with its miniscule bar attractive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.