Bertrand at Mister A's
2550 Fifth Avenue, Ste 406
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Bertrand at Mister A's
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/
- Phone: 6192391377x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 2:30pm. Dinner: Monday - Friday, 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Saturday - Sunday, 5:000pm - 9:30pm. Sunday Brunch: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm.
Please be aware that appropriate attire is required. The dress code is dressy business casual, meaning nothing you would wear to the beach or a sporting event. Nice jeans or Bermuda shorts are fine with a collared shirt but nothing overly casual.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Stephane Voitzwinkler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For parties of 10 or more, it is necessary to call the restaurant directly for reservations.
- Entertainment: Bertrand at Mister A’s restaurant offers one of the most exceptional city views in all of the country. A true site seeing experience with a panoramic view; which encompasses the breathtaking city skyline, San Diego Bay and harbor, Coronado Bridge, Point Loma, Sea World, Balboa Park, the world famous zoo and Mexico high a top Bankers Hill.
A word from Bertrand at Mister A's
You’re just a few minutes from downtown San Diego; take the elevator to the top floor. You won’t believe your eyes! Huge jetliners sweep past at eye level. Our beautiful city’s skyline, San Diego Bay; why settle for just on ocean’s view when you can see the entire city from one vantage point.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Bertrand at Mister A's - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Bertrand at Mister A's reviews from OpenTable diners
273 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (253)special occasion (219)romantic (196)great for outdoor dining (118)fit for foodies (109)notable wine list (100)neighborhood gem (48)good for groups (44)great for brunch (37)great for lunch (35)hot spot (25)late-night find (21)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Very romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014My husband and I spent our two year anniversary together here, and it was beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular View - Very good foodCarolDined on 8/14/2014Very nice find - perhaps the best view in San Diego overlooking the city and bay - terrific at sunset. Very good service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DCDinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014Fantastic food with a spectacular view. If you have only one meal in San Diego, have it here!Special Features:
- Duck, duck, pork?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Duck breast with fried duck rinds--delicious! You take a great piece of meat and improve on its best feature by frying the skin separately. I wish they were available to go as a late night snack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceFoodieBigDined on 8/11/2014Bertrand was everything I expect in a fine dining restaurant. The ambience was elegant but energetic and high-class without being too stuffy or formal. The waiters were classy but very down to earth as well and helped make the experience very enjoyable. The food was what you expect at a fine dining restaurant–fairly small proportions of amazing tasting food that looks as good as it tastes. We started off with escargot and seared scallops which were amazing. The garlic, parsley butter on the escargot was so good that we used it all up on our bread. My short ribs were packed with amazing flavor and melted in my mouth. Oh and by the way, the view of downtown San Diego and the bay is incredible.Special Features:
- Another Top Notch Dining experienceirossfamDined on 8/11/2014The service, food quality, views, and staff are all top notch at Mister A's. When in San Diego we always make an evening of having dinner at Mister A's. There are many choices in San Diego but Mister A's should be at the top of your list. A classic dining experience with old school type of service!Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationHappymomDined on 8/10/2014Mr. A's was an excellent choice to take our son out for his 26th birthday. The food was delicious, the view was spectacular and the service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Came for brunch to celebrate mine and my girlfriend's 3rd anniversary. While the food was beyond our expectations, our server definitely left much to be desired. It took more than 15 minutes to get our drink order, another 15 before another server came to appologize for the wait and that our drinks would be on the way. Our server seemed flustered and distracted, as if our presence was a neusance. I noticed other parties receiving much better service, and the other servers who helped us were clearly on top of their game. I would not complain about this if it were not for the price: $180 for two dishes and 4 drinks. I expect much better in terms of service. I will be returning, tho i hope someone receives this feedback.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!TommyTDined on 8/9/2014I recently went there for our anniversary, and they were outstanding! I booked through Open Table and let them know that it was our anniversary and requested a table outside. They called me in advance and said that would be fine. The waiter was very friendly and courteous. While the prices were somewhat higher than your average restaurant, the experience is worth it! The portions were great as we were full yet didn't take anything home. They even gave us a chocolate platter at the end with icing saying "Happy Anniversary". I didn't tell them to do that, but boy did I look good! I wouldn't go every weekend, but definitely on a special occasion!Special Features:
- Special occasionMinouVIPDined on 8/8/2014Mr. A's is a place to go to for a special occasion where you want to dress up and pay over the top prices for basically just good food. You can't beat the view and my suggestion would be to go there for either lunch or their Happy Hour menu and enjoy the scene. Our server was great though - very professional and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Great food service not so muchtalonmedicDined on 8/8/2014Wonderful view, terrific food (although stay away rom the duck kinda dry and tasteless). Service was spotty other tables seemed to get more attention (did I know our waiter? Do I owe him money? ) anyway overall a very good experience but really expensive. Would have been ok except the service for our table wasn't matching the price paid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SloaneDined on 8/8/2014We had reservations and were promptly seated. Our table was by a window with a nice view. Our food was delicious and well presented. I would recommend this restaurant to a friend or family member or out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Put on Sun Screen!SDRWFindVIPDined on 8/8/2014You don't realize it until you come home with a burnt face, but if you eat outside for lunch you really need to put on sunscreen! Maybe Mr. A's could offer some to guests who want to sit outside!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic againPDFlavorDined on 8/7/2014This was our second time at Bertrand's, this time for my wife's birthday. Food was excellent and service impeccable. Excellent place to bring out-of-towners and enjoy a great meal while overlooking our beautiful city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous ViewlovedinningoutDined on 8/6/2014A nice place to enjoy a good meal. Wait staff was attentive and menu choices were varied. The view was outstanding and probably the best part of our evening.Special Features:
- ThoughtfulSkyScooterDined on 8/6/2014In my reservation I'd mentioned it was our 20th Wedding Anniversary. They gave us a plate with some confections, and on the plate was written chocolate "Happy 20th Wedding Anniversary". That made is really smile!Special Features:
- A Great Find On Our Visit To SDSteveTDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I dined at several restaurants, that were rated highly by Open Table Reviewers,while vacationing in San Diego. Bertrand at Mister A's was by far the best. Every course was excellent but the Honey Mascarpone Cheesecake just might be the best Strawberry dessert I've ever tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in TownFranklyDined on 8/5/2014Bertrand's at Mr. A's is perhaps the best view restaurant in all of San Diego. It is also one of the best restaurants for quality food and to-quality service. It is ideal for either business or personal dining. Could not speak more highly. Even the parking attendant had the elevator waiting for us as we approached. Its as good as it gets. Service, ambiance, location, view, food quality///its got it all.Special Features:
- Not what it is made out to beLolaVIPDined on 8/3/2014Arrived for our open table reservation, and was asked to sit and wait. We then asked if they had a bar and we were directed to it. Patrons had gotten up, 6!empty stools, Bar loaded with glasses which the bartender failed to remove. Stood at the bar for 10 minutes ( we were the only ones there) never served or was the bar cleaned. Came to take us to our table and there were 6 empty tables all set, but we had waited 15 minutes at 8pm. Didn't receive rolls, but sliced bread as they ran out of rolls. I wouldn't waste my money, the only good thing about this restaurant is the view!
- Great BRUNCHfoodiesigotherDined on 8/3/2014Their Pink Guava Bellini is amazing, as is the atmosphere, scenic view, staff and of course the food. Truly enjoyed this brunch and am looking forward to returning for dinner. I think if we return to SD we must come back and enjoy their menu.Special Features:
- Special Occasion mealPokeecatDined on 8/2/2014Great for celebrating a special event such as an anniversary, birthday etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice time.AgustinDined on 8/1/2014Very nice except that they only brought out one Happy Birthday dish, I kept telling them that we had two Birthday ladies in our group.Special Features:
- Great mealDOCTORBOBVIPDined on 8/1/2014It had been nearly a year since my wife and I had dined at Bertrand's at Mr. A's. We decided to indulge ourselves after a busy week and have dinner Friday night with a view of the sunset. We started with Maker's Mark Manhattans that were very nicely prepared. First course for me was the soft shell crab special, for my wife Vichyssoise. Both were delicious and beautifully presented. For our entrees my wife had the 48 hour braised beef short ribs. I had the roasted rack of lamb. The short ribs were delicious without being overly concentrated/heavy. The accompanying vegetables were a treat and nicely presented. The rack of lamb was some of the best I have had. Perfectly seasoned and tender. the sides were great. We won't a year to return.Special Features:
- i did not like thatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Gret food great place..but since i arived i requested if we could get table outside and i requested that several times..they never moved us even that there was always a table available I do not understand that..that was really upsetingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining before theater performanceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed the 3 course special meal Mr A's provides for theater goers. The portions were perfect size...not too much food...just the right amount. The presentation of the food is so artistic that one wants to simply view and smell the delicious aromas before taking that first melt-in-your-mouth bite. Our waitress was outstanding and she definitely had her work set out for her as one person in my party managed to make a bit of a mess. The mess was addressed immediately, with finesse. Besides making this part of our theater experience, we plan on eating at Mr. A's when we do not have anywhere else to go so that we can enjoy a long dining experience while looking over the beautiful San Diego skyline and harbor.Special Features:
- andreaDined on 7/31/2014excellent dinner at our last evening in the US, we were very happy to choose this restaurant. The view is unbeatable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to the hypeWine2DineDined on 7/30/2014Surprised my wife for our wedding anniversary. The cocktails were some of the best we've had. Simple but done just right. We recommend the Tropical Heat and the Dreams of Green. We had the best service (especially John) , food, view and overall experiance. I will definately be back even if it is just for happy hour. Do not just wait for a special occasion to come here, come here if you want to make any occasion special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr. Big StuffTacobellTopchefDined on 7/26/2014Mr. A's is amazing. The view is wonderful. The waitstaff are extremely attentive. The food is great. The view is even better. If you want to really show your man/woman how much you car for them, definitely take them here.Special Features:
- ExcellentfoodieDined on 7/26/2014This restaurant exceeded my expectations. The service was outstanding. The food was great. The views were breathtaking!! We will be going back again very soon!Special Features:
- Always GoodHowcrabDined on 7/26/2014Mr A's is always good. The food was superb (Dover sole, lamb cooked to perfection). We did complain about the baby beet salad which was really quinoa/olive salad with a few small beet pieces. However this was beautifully taken care of by our waitress when my wife was handed a plate of just roasted baby beets. The only reason it was not 5 stars all round was the slowness of the drinks service - I was well into my lamb before I got my glass of red wine. Not our waitress' fault as the bar was backed up. She was really good. A small quibble in a very enjoyable anniversary evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryRandyDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our 31st anniversary at Mr. A's. Very impressive, the staff was genuine, personable, attentive and friendly. And the view in every direction is incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for an occasionwb13Dined on 7/25/2014Couldn't be happier with the whole evening. Beautiful scenery, great food, spectacular service. 10/10.Special Features:
- Fantastic!chrisDined on 7/25/2014We came here for our anniversary, and were surprised by how the restaurant was setup. It was on top of a building, roof top restaurant, beautiful scenery. Food was so delicious, drinks were fantastic, the service was great. I could not ask for more for our anniversary. They gave us a free dessert for the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bertrand at Mister A's ReviewBillandCarolDined on 7/25/2014Very good restaurant. GREAT STAFF! and outstanding food. Wonderful locale. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular views over san diegojcc1Dined on 7/21/2014Great setting and views from the balcony. We arrived just in time for our booking after a long journey and the staff couldn't have been more friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Fillet to die for!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014Delicious food, amazing view, friendly staff. Beef fillet was incredible, escargot was good & dipping that awesome bread IN the escargot juice/butter was even better. The staff made our anniversary dinner one to remember.Special Features:
- Wonderful views, lots of romanceGrumpyoldmanDined on 7/20/2014I've been going to Mr. A's since the 1970's....always a treat....always a spectacular view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overview OverheardDiningDelightsDined on 7/20/2014We made another trip to Mr. A's for Sunday brunch and this time we both got the chicken and waffles, which were excellent. The service was polite and attentive as always. My only complaint is that they tend to seat all the diners at adjacent tables. Presumably the are using the tables they feel have the best view, but one table separation between diners (when they have the unused tables as they did this day) would really be appreciated in terms of not making us a part of our neighbors conversation.Special Features:
- Great Food and Wonderful View!RenegadebbDined on 7/19/2014We had a beautiful view from our table. Our service was excellent! The food was just fabulous. We shared some appetizers like the Lobster Strudel (YUM!) and the main courses were all great. Wanted to have dessert, but we were all too full. I will definitely be back and would highly recommend. Next time would love to sit outside and enjoy the view up close.Special Features:
- Amazing!MrAgetsAnADined on 7/18/2014The atmosphere was fantastic and romantic. If you dine on the patio it's a beautiful view of San Diego. If you are there past 9:50 you will even get a nice firework show courtesy of Sea World during Summer nights. The service was a tad slow at first, however I wasn't annoyed because the service provided was outstanding and the staff were extremely polite & friendly. The rest of the night the service was a nice pace. My date and I appreciated them continuing to turn the heater lamps back on whenever the wind blew it out, which unfortunately for them was fairly often that night. Thanks guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.