A La Lucia
315 Madison St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
A La Lucia
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.alalucia.com/
- Phone: 7038365123
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm- 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Michael Nayeri
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Private Dining Space available for 20-40 Guests! Please visit our website or call 703-836-5123 for more information!
- Cross Street: North Royal St. (800 Block)
- Public Transit: The closest MetroRail Stop is Braddock Road (Yellow and Blue Lines) Distance 12 Blocks, however walking is not recommended. Alexandria Dash Bus #AT2 and/or #AT5 Bus will stop accross the street from the restaurant.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is somewhat congested during Lunch Hours. Metered spaces are available behind the building if street parking cannot be found. After 5pm and on Weekends guests should expect to find parking within 1 Block of the restaurant in most instances.
A word from A La Lucia
a la Lucia is a neighborhood restaurant in Old Town Alexandria. We specialize in homemade traditional Italian Fare and Italian Wines. Owner Michael Nayeri has been in the Washington Restaurant Business for over 20 years. We offer Brick oven Pizzas, Patio Seating, and Kids Menus. Our Private Wine Room is available for all types of parties up to 40 guests. We have a Full bar, specializing in Wine, where we broadcast all major sporting and news events.Continued
Save 25% off any bottle of Wine when you dine in for Dinner on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday! Every Week!
Save 25% off any bottle of Wine when you dine in for Dinner on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday! Every Week!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
A La Lucia - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
A La Lucia reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (101)fit for foodies (40)romantic (32)special occasion (31)notable wine list (27)good for groups (24)great for lunch (15)great for outdoor dining (14)kid-friendly (12)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)Show More
- Fine northern Italian restaurantNanCrewDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I discovered this fine northern Italian restaurant about six months ago, and have returned several times. The best northern Italian food we've found in Old Town Alexandria. Friendly staff; pleasant dining room decor. Because it's on the northern edge of Old Town, nearby on-street parking is easy to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingdcfoodieDined on 7/25/2014I had high expectations for this restaurant based on the reviews but was very disappointed with the food. I sat outside which was nice but waited a while before a waiter acknowledged me. I asked the waiter for a food recommendation and he seemed put out. I decided on the black linguine with scallops, shrimp and clams. The sauce had absolutely no flavor and in fact seemed as if the shrimp were undercooked. I love seafood so this was upsetting. On top of flavor lacking food my cloth napkin smelled of pesticide. I will not be back.Special Features:
- Always Good To FineGIGIDined on 7/22/2014This is our neighborhood restaurant and we are so grateful for it. The menu has variety but is not so large as to make me suspicious that the food has been preprepared, frozen and then nuked.Special Features:
- Best Neighborhood Italian Around!Eliz41Dined on 7/22/2014Pasta is all to die for, as is my favorite entree that I hope stays on the menu forever - perfectly prepared grilled giant sea scallops over a bed of fried zucchini. Bread basket is also amazing. Decor is tiered, but that's not what people go there for. There is some nice outdoor seating, but it is right near the road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodWestAlexDinerDined on 7/12/2014One of the things I like about A La Lucia is that it is consistently good. The staff is friendly and helpful and the food is consistently good. Our party loved the Salmon, the Rockfish was superb and my daughter really enjoyed her chicken marsala.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre Dining at A La LuciaJMacDined on 7/12/2014My friend and I were not overly impressed with our experience. Upon arrival, we were not greeted in a friendly or welcoming manner. We were shown a 2-top table in the back room, but it was crowded and poorly lit (no windows). My friend has severe anxiety and claustrophobia, so we asked to be seated somewhere near a window. The request was not met graciously, but as an inconvenience. We had to wait some time before our server finally came to "greet us." When she did, it was not warm - just very business like. We asked what were the specials/suggestions - and she told us to look in the menu! We ordered the 3-course meal, but it was so-so; nothing special. We asked for coffee with cream, but were given skim milk.
- Neighborhood gemjabusadcDined on 7/7/2014We needed to stop for dinner before continuing home from the airport. Found great reviews about this place and decided to give it a try. The food was great the wait staff attentive and prices reasonable. To me one of the most impressive things was that this is clearly a neighborhood place. Pedestrians, everyone passing by knew the wait staff by name and the wait staff knew both the adults and their kids and everyone's recent doings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2014The servers were attentive. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you!coke90Dined on 6/29/2014Thank you very much for making my birthday special! The waiter overheard it (it was not announced!) and gave me a piece of cake. It was really sweet! The service was outstanding (even before I got cake!) and waitstaff was very pleasant and exactly attentive enough, but not too much. I highly recommend this restaurant, and have done so to others! Wonderful - thank you!!! My whole family enjoyed what we ordered and almost every last morsel was eaten!!Special Features:
- fabulousluckylouieVIPDined on 6/28/2014We had a fabulous meal at A La Lucia on Saturday night. We had the fixed price 3 course meal, and it was hard to decide which course was best. asparagus with melted provolone was fantastic-- would have had several more servings if available. Both fish entrees were excellent Every bit of the meal was delicious and well presented. Service quick and attentive but not rushed. One of the best meals I have had in quite a while.Special Features:
- dinner serviceartistDined on 6/27/2014This was the 2nd or 3rd time we ate here. The food is very consistently good. Our issues this past time was the lack of attention from our server/waiter. He never came for our orders,We had to flag him down. He never came for my wine order,even after he knew I wanted wine. He never came to check if we needed anything after the food arrived, and he never came to refill water glasses. I was constantly waving him down. He is a regular waiter here as we have seen him before so I don't know what happened this particular evening (and he was not busy that he cud not attend to our needs).Special Features:
- A Disappointing ExperiencefunnybunnyDined on 6/25/2014We had been to Ala Luciana a couple of times previously and had found the food to be very good. Our most recent experience, this past week, was a disappointment. I had a veal scallopini with parmesan that was larger than needed but lacked flavor. My wife had soft shelled crabs that she described as dry and lacking in meat. We both had the mango sorbet and that was the best part of the meal. Her coffee tasted as if it had been rewarmed though my decaf expresso was flavorful. The service, however, was prompt and friendly.
- The following 705 reviews are from the A La Lucia reviews archive.
- A La Lucia comes through again!FoodFansDined on 6/20/2014For the past four years, we've celebrated my elderly mother's birthday at A La Lucia. This most recent birthday - her 93rd - was exceptional. The food, the ambiance - both stellar, but the customer service was truly exceptional on this occasion. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 27th Anniversart dinnerLemmsDined on 6/20/2014We have lived in Mount Vernon section of Alexandria since 1991 and this was our first visit to this restaurant. We would bring family and friends in the future. We had a most enjoyable experience. The wait staff was very personally oriented in meeting our needs. The menu had plenty of options and my wife and I both enjoyed our entrees. The restaurant was kind enough to provide our dessert "on the house" to honor of anniversary dinner. Much to our surprise, on the way out, the restaurant had filled in quite a lot and we hadn't even noticed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal2loveoldtownDined on 6/18/2014This is my 5th time at A La Lucia, always enjoy their food and they have a great menu and also wonderful specials. The portions a big, food well cooked and seasoned, and the service is always great. Only negatives, small rooms, tables are close together and it can get very loud.Special Features:
- I couldn't have asked for moreThePBandJsDined on 6/14/2014I booked our reservations based on location and reviews. This was for a birthday dinner for my wife and I was not disappointed in the least. In fact, it seemed like the staff really went above and beyond to ensure my wife's pre-ordered flowers were already on our reserved table and I didn't even have to inquire about a birthday dessert being delivered to her (I'd only mentioned it in the special request box while making reservations online). We were 100% satisfied with our meals and service and I definitely feel that we got our money's worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 6/11/2014We took an out of town friend here for dinner and as always the food was excellent. Our only problem was that there were too many good choices on the menu to select from. The service was just right allowing us time to enjoy each course and our conversation. Well done!Special Features:
- VisitorsWillieVIPDined on 6/10/2014We took friends from Tennessee to our favorite Italian restaurant, and neither we nor they were disappointed. Their comments were: You were right, this was excellent.Special Features:
- Great Basic Italian Foodlove4foodDined on 6/8/2014It's a great neighborhood Italian restaurant with no pretenses. They serve basic Italian fare with some interesting specials, and plenty of seafood pasta options. The menu should have something for everyone, and is moderately priced. I ordered a seafood linguini with calamari, shrimp, and mussels in a spicy marinara sauce, and I was not disappointed. This was my second time dining here, and I must say that the food is very delicious. The service is pretty impeccable as well, as you wait for nothing. They also have a descent wine list, which is discounted by the bottle 25% on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday only. That was a first for me, and a bonus to keep me coming back. Overall, it is a charming casual restaurant with awesome food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DangerousDittothecatVIPDined on 6/8/2014We just moved into the neighborhood, and are experiencing many of the restaurants within walking distance. A La Lucia will be one that we come back to over and over. Plans for the future however will be drop in at the bar, share plates and enjoy a glass or two of wine. Too much of a good thing might be dangerous to our waists or other body parts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a la Lucia-Quiet End of AlexandriaJMCx2Dined on 6/7/2014I chose this restaurant for the cuisine & for the location, and neither one disappointed us. Saturday night offered plenty of nearby street parking, and the menu selection satisfied everyone in our family's party of 6. Food presentation was inventive, and the flavors were varied & impressive. Indoor seating is a bit tight, but the table service managed the close spaces pretty well and kept our drinks refreshed. a la Lucia has excellent food and is a very good value for your money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta on the PatioMiloDined on 6/6/2014We had a very nice table in this restaurant's small sidewalk cafe area. The wine list has too few reasonably priced options, which for a better-than average Italian restaurant is a serious drawback. Also, my wife's seafood linguine was overpriced for the amount of seafood included, and the scallops were not quite done enough to suit. My pasta and sausage with red sauce was excellent, as were our caesar salads. Service was exemplary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014This was our second time at A La Lucia, and it was wonderful. We brought friends with us and they were as thrilled as we were about this "keeper." The three-course fixed price dinner was imaginative, delicious and full of (too many?) choices -- and a great value. We unfortunately do not live close to A La Lucia -- it's at least a 30 minute drive for us, and longer in traffic -- otherwise it would be our go-to place for comfortable and delicious Italian dining.Special Features:
- Nice peopleBellaDined on 5/26/2014The manager and staff were very kind. We enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:
- Where the Locals Go!BoomerVIPDined on 5/23/2014Been going for some ten years, and try to dine about once every week or two. I have never been disappointed, the food is great as is the service and ambience. You can also always park within half a block too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite a surpriseJimbobVIPDined on 5/23/2014This is a really nice local restaurant, not touristy at all. Very reasonable prices (for the area). Service was excellent. Staff from managers to busboys was excellent. I plan to put this place in the regular rotation.Special Features:
- Food and pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014The food was excellent plus it wasn't expensive. The server was knowledgeable in anything we asked him. Also the owner greeted us during our meal to see how it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new find for a regularIlikegoodfoodDined on 5/17/2014I have been to A La Lucia a dozen times or so but wasn't sure they could take a party of 7 comfortably at peek hours. The most authentic Italian restaurant in Old Town so when I was entertaining a large group I wanted to take them here. When we arrived they took us to a room I had never been to before that is separate from the rest of the restaurant. Excellent! Food was fantastic (rack of veal and asparagus was VERY tasty) , as usual, and so was our server. There were a few locals with us that usually stay close to King street and they were kicking themselves for not trying A La Lucia before- I believe this will be there go to Italian from now on. 5 stars to you A La Lucia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Night Out202alexDined on 5/17/2014Friends from out of town were visiting over the weekend ... went here for dinner ... it was excellent ... the low noise level allowed for easy conversation ... service and food were both great.Special Features:
- chrisVIPDined on 5/11/2014excellent food, nice sitting outside except for noise of overflying airplanes (close to DCA), excellent fish, veal and homemade pasta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint place.DeckworksDined on 5/10/2014We had great service and great food. We were able to talk to each other and will be back soon. Great overall experience.Special Features:
- Almost too good to be true!xmo2repDined on 5/4/2014Sunday evening…got there early and we were received with great elegance. From the starters through the fabulous veal chop we savored every bite. We (and our guest) will be sure and make it back…hopefully soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceStuartNmDined on 5/3/2014Nice neighborhood location. easy to find parking, good menu and nice wine selection. We had nice simple meal well prepareded, great service and enjoyable experience. We wil definitely be back.Special Features:
- DissapointedStyles78Dined on 5/3/2014This is a decent place if you're a neighborhood local. I wanted to surprise my wife by taking her to a romantic dinner outside of DC and this failed to live up to my expectations. The decor was bland and the overall ambience felt more like a diner than a pleasant restaurant. However, the food is good and met my expectations. There is outdoor dining, which is a plus, but the views leave a lot to be desired.
- Keeps ImpressingCapitanSourceVIPDined on 5/3/2014Menu keeps getting better and better. Has grown from just a pasta place. Nice improvements to the dining room, too. Not many restaurants can evolve the way A la Lucia has. Always friendly and attentive service. Had rockfish this time. Excellent. Generous portion and good price. Nice wines by the glass. It may be old Town's best ket secret.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Top QualityalexeaterVIPDined on 5/1/2014We have been eating at Lucia for years and have been impressed with how consistently good it is. The pasta is never overcooked, the green beans crisp to perfection, the seafood fresh and generous (especially with the black linguini). Wine list is interesting. Still one of our favorites!Special Features:
- It was a special dinnerSheridkDined on 4/25/2014This neighborhood gem - easy to find available parking - has the best mussels! Our bottle of chianti - suggested by the wine stewart - was perfect.Special Features:
- Always solidNeilGDined on 4/25/2014Best food for the price in town. Salmon was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful timekmfriedgenDined on 4/25/2014My boyfriend and I had a wonderful time at A la Lucia. Our server was kind and knowledgeable and gave great recommendations and all the food was absolutely delicious and came out very promptly. They had a 3 course pre-fixed menu for $35 that had a plethora of options and all looked fantastic. We had a great time and wish we lived closer so that we could come back more often. Needless to say, the next time we're in the area will be dining here so we can try something new!Special Features:
- DisappointingDReckVIPDined on 4/12/2014It was a special occasion, but unfortunately we were seated at a table that did not lend itself to conversation. The service and food were good, though, so in the end we made the best of the situation. It was a little surprising, though, when the bread was removed from the table about halfway through our meal -- no explanation, just taken away. With other "neighborhood gems" closer to us, we probably would not return.Special Features: