Vermilion - Alexandria
1120 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Vermilion - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vermilionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7036849669x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday, Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm (closed for lunch on Tuesdays);
Dinner: Monday- Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:30pm-9:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Morris
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Entertainment: Live music every Tuesday and Wednesday night starting around 10:00pm in the Lounge at Vermilion.
A word from Vermilion - Alexandria
Vermilion features Chef William Morris' menu of Contemporary American cuisine. Complimenting Chef Morris' menu is Vermilion's wine list, named one of the top wine lists in the country by Restaurant Hospitality Magazine. Combining a charming location in Old town Alexandria with stylized design and atmosphere, Vermilion represents a bit of downtown sophistication: from the exposed brick in the upstairs dining room to the overstuffed pillows in the lounge downstairs, Vermilion holds something for all tastes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Vermilion - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Vermilion - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (135)special occasion (121)romantic (100)neighborhood gem (97)notable wine list (57)great for lunch (31)great for brunch (21)hot spot (20)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (7)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Never DisappointsFeedbackCentralDined on 6/21/2014Vermilion, with its great location on King Street in Old Town Alexandria, never disappoints. The décor is warm and welcoming, and the food is consistently good. There is a very nice bar area for a pre-dinner drink, and both downstairs and upstairs seating.Special Features:
- EuropeanDined on 6/20/2014Food is excellent, our waiter Bosko is the best! Ambient darkish, better for fall/winter, not so cozy on a beautiful summer night. Tables too close to each other, could be more separated since there is enough space. Uncomfortable at a table for 2, next table so close we were almost together with the other two people there.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesBoomerVIPDined on 6/20/2014I bring my best associates here for lunch and dinner, and I have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experience; won't rush backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014First reaction- pricey- expectations are high. Food was creative, different, pleasing to the eye;a bit short on portion. We were seated upstairs with only 1 other party, 2 tables over- had to hear their conversation. Explained it was spouse's special dinner/birthday to server. She was nice and (maybe a tad overly) attentive UNTIL we asked for the check- all plates cleared away. Server disappeared for over 12 minutes, way too long to wait for a check, very bad. Spouse had to leave the restaurant. When she came out with a candle in some sort of cake for him it really put a bad taste in my mouth as to the experience; she did not apologize for the delay. BTW: downstairs/bar area looks fun for that type of gathering.
- Yummy!DiamondgirlVIPDined on 6/17/2014Beautifully prepared and locally sourced seasonal dishes, presented by a knowledgeable and attentive server. Terrific experience.Special Features:
- MimiVIPDined on 6/16/2014Fabulous!!! Celebrated birthday and anniversary. They made it a memorable eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- June 2014SenorCucharonDined on 6/15/2014It was a slow Sunday night when I dined at Vermilion. The experience was nice, but not outstanding. My dining companion and I asked to share the grilled scallops appetizer ($14), which was cooked perfectly and accompanied by a single floret of broccoli. The two quarter-sized scallops made for a small portion at the price. We ordered two different fish entrees, which were also perfectly cooked. The sauce on both was unremarkable. The service was perfunctory. We had to ask for plates to share the appetizer and reuse our knives for the main course. In my opinion, a restaurant of this caliber (or aspiration) should offer things like tablecloths and "extra" cutlery to enhance the experience. Could have been the wrong night to try Vermilion.
- Great food, soothing atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2014Both entrees and main courses reflect a combination of flavors without being pretentious about it. I had the lamb and the roasted carrot appetizer. In both, vegetables were incredibly fresh, and they are prepared with just enough seasoning to make them interesting. The desserts were just right for a sweet ending -- we had the lemon meringue pie and the nutella cheesecake, neither too large nor too small. The wines I had by the glass were exceptional (zinfandel, cabernet). The restaurant was also very accommodating to my son. They don't have a kid's menu, but they adapted a dish to make it "plain" for him, and served him a side of mashed potatoes. I would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Best special place in Old townsuperiorDined on 6/15/2014Never disappointed. Justin was wonderful as was all the food......pricey but worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissappointed in BrunchDLSOCVIPDined on 6/15/2014The service was lovely, but the food didn't live up to Vermilion's reputation. Omelet was average, but I could haven't gotten one as tasty at Denny's. Bacon was thin and just ok, I would have anticipated thick and crisp. Pancakes were a little spongy and tasted like a bisquick mix.... with Jam on top.
- Truly local foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/14/2014We went to Vermilion to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. The thing that impressed me first was the cocktail list (with includes monthly features). The theme for June was strawberries and I saw the strawberries used - they were truly local (and I'm really picky on strawberries). Everyone says they do seasonal/local food - but Vermilion's food truly was. The pea soup was excellent as was the sirloin. My husband said the lamb was some of the best he's had. Our server was fantastic and even let us set some of the pacing of the night. Additionally, Vermilion provided us a few extra touches to celebrate our anniversary beyond what I've seen for special occasions at other places. They didn't seem packed, but they should have been.Special Features:
- Okay, Not WowbuddyDined on 6/14/2014Maybe my expectations were too high! I wanted to be wowed by the menu but that didn't 't happen. I found the selection pretty ho hum with nothing that stood out . I did get the grouper and it was pretty bland with the fish tasting "pastey". Other people had pasta and it was okay too . Nothing to want again . I guess I'd heard so much about the place that I thought it would be much better. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryDined on 6/12/2014Everything we put in our mouths was delicious. They gave us a free glass of cava for our anniversary. Great service too.Special Features:
- Great spot in Old TownOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2014Although a bit pricey, every bite was worth it! The little mini dinner rolls were a good gnosh while waiting for our food without being overly filling. The beet/radish salad was so fresh and flavorful, my mom got the arugula salad and it was perfectly dressed and big enough for two. She said the English Pea soup was the best she'd had. We split the tagliatelle pasta (minus the sausage), and it was scrumptious. Perfect flavors, lots of vegetables. The service was attentive, not overbearing. Even brought her a complimentary birthday desert with candle. Vermillion is in a beautiful old building right on King street, noise level was lively but not loud. All in all, a fabulous dining experience.Special Features:
- Outstanding meal.VAdinersVIPDined on 6/11/2014The food, drinks and ambiance were all great. Will definitely return for another special occasion.Special Features:
- AwesomebdaydinnerDined on 6/10/2014The pork was incredible. The lamb was the best meat I have ever had in my life. Incredibly delectable. Go for the lamb, carrots and pork cheek. Absolutely. The bar tenders also concoct some great martini's, sidecars and other cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SwitzerlandVIPDined on 6/7/2014My wife and I celebrated a friend's birthday in grand style. The pork, veal, and lamb entrees were outstanding. Two of us enjoyed the fabulous pea soup, and the my wife's scallops were melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Heather provided superb, perfectly timed service, and kindly brought us a complimentary birthday dessert tray. Fabulous evening all around!Special Features:
- Nice BrunchTravellerVIPDined on 6/7/2014Brunch on Saturday, my husband raved about his beet an goat cheese sandwich, friend enjoyed fried chicken sandwich, my eggs benedict had a slight twist with herbs in the hollandaise. Eggs tasted wonderful. We will return to try dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingpreviewDined on 6/2/2014Extraordinary cuisine, reasonably priced, outstanding service, marvelous ambience.............. Simply a great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1982 reviews are from the Vermilion - Alexandria reviews archive.
- Not what it used to beMVOMSpringfieldDined on 5/31/2014My husband and I used to come here a few times a year. They always kept the menu fresh with changes featuring what was in season. We recently came had dinner here for the first time in about a year but this time found it a bit underwhelming. We visited the menu site several times and didn't noitce any changes at all. My husband's fish was slightly overcooked, and my pork was overcooked and tough on the outside, and raw in the middle. I didn't send it back, thinking maybe it was just me since I don't eat pork loin very often. But the pork I had before was decidedly easier to chew. On the plus side the service was quick and friendly. Also we went there for lunch a few months ago and the burgers were outstanding. Recommend for lunch only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed FeelingsCeehVIPDined on 5/29/2014Went with my husband & a friend for a special occasion. Enjoyed the ambiance of the upstairs dining. Had the salad and scallops to start, both good. My husband had the Pork (a few on opentable raved about it) but found it unremarkable compared to other restaurants we've dined at. I had the monkfish and loved it. Great sauerkraut to accompany it. Our friend merely picked at her dish...lamb and noodles of some sort. Overall, found this place pretty expensive for what we got (ambiance, quantity, and quality) although we are from San Diego where options are abundant! I would have liked the bar food downstairs, from the look of it. If we were local, might return every few months to check out new menu options...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/25/2014Fantastic Food. Small Portions Were Very Filling, Delicious, And Visually Appealing.We Enjoyed Every Bite. Service Was Great, tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Servicewill4378Dined on 5/25/2014I went to Vermillion to have a quick brunch with a friend. I arrived first and asked to be seated because I needed coffee. Not only did they seat me (some places won't without the entire party), but they remembered I wanted coffee and brought it before I even had my menu. It was refreshing to be taken care of!Special Features:
- After the Chef LeftFalconDined on 5/23/2014Even with the change in chefs, Vermillion continues to be one of the best places in Old Town. We had the tasting menu with matching wines and everything was excellent. The prices are reasonable for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing.....MarkDined on 5/19/2014Ummm..what can i say? This place, the food, was, simply, amazing. We were going try the course meal, but opted to order individually since we didn't want salad and wanted different items for our appetizers. The scallop app was awesome, cooked perfectly. We ordered the softshell appetizer on their nightly special, which was good but nothing special. Now on to our entree, I ordered the sirloin, which was very good, but my wife ordered the Berkshire Pork and let me tell you, that dish is $$$$$$$$$$. I thought i would never say this in my lifetime, but this pork dish was better than my steak dish. Their dessert was good too, but highlight was the entree and appetizers!Special Features:
- Sounds FancyDarinDined on 5/17/2014Our waiter must hate his job, he had no enthusiasm about menu or special or anything. Most staff were not this way. The seating is tightly squeezed on the top floor and often you will be distracted from your conversation due to a table next to you. The food was prepared appropriately, but uninspiring. We actually left hungry after almost spending $200 and stopped at Hank's Oyster Bar, got calamari and a beer and should have went there or anywhere else from the start. Has the name, but did not meet expectations.Special Features:
- Vermilion - AlexandriaJH2014Dined on 5/17/2014Fantastic - I like my meat and potatoes, but since this was a special occasion and I wanted to surprise my wife for our 5 years anniversary I decided to take a chance. The Vermilion experience was simply delicious though I got my meat (Local Beef Sirloin - spinach & walnut puree, roasted cauliflower, chorizo & red wine sauce), my wife was extremely happy with the food and the service was great.Special Features:
- I wanted to love it...JimbobVIPDined on 5/17/2014I have been here several times and find the menu to be terrific- I have a hard time choosing because everything sounds great. The sauces and combinations are excellent (I had the lamb loin). Service was good, and the place has a nice buzz to it. Oddly, the food arrived cooked to order (as specified) but was barely warm. As we were dining at a leisurely pace (over 2 hours) I was starving and did not want to send it back. I should have complained and will not hold it against them. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:
- One of favorties in Old TownOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/16/2014I have been to Vermillion multiple times over the past 5 or so years and it never disappoints. Fresh locally grown food is prepared in inventive ways. I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must go!!HKHKDined on 5/16/2014I have been to Vermillion in the past with a group of girlfriends and our experience was great. This time I went with two friends and sat at the table with lots of pillows. So comfortable, great service, delicious food- cant wait to go back. Highly recommend the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!CrissyDined on 5/16/2014We has a fantastic meal and the service was impeccable. The steak tartare was an amazing appetizer as was the baby carrots. It was a wonderful combination of flavors and a perfect start to a meal. The lamb dish with the polenta was absolutely delicious. It was cooked perfectly and just the right amount of food. Next time we come, we are going to try the wine pairing menu. We can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine/food pairingCarjokarDined on 5/14/2014A group of us go to Vermillon's whenever we are in town and are never disappointed. It is amazing how differently a wine will taste with the food it is paired. Although a 4 course dinner may sound like too much food, the portions are just right so you don't leave feeling overstuffed. A few times the menu looked similar to previous fares but the preparation is different so it is always a new experience.Special Features:
- Happy Birthday!singeranneDined on 5/14/2014Had the food tasting with paired wines-yummy! Were not rushed and will return! Thanks to our server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and Pleasant RestaurantunionlawyerDined on 5/13/2014My companion and I enjoyed the food, service and willingness to accomodate special dietary needs A+ in all areas.Special Features:
- VermillionVermillionDined on 5/13/2014In town on business with my wife and wanted to go somewhere special for her birthday. A friend recommended the Vermillion and was spot on! Everything was top notch and our server, Ariel, was fantastic. The starters were the highlight of the night for me; never thought I would enjoy brussel sprouts. Will be sure to make a visit when I return again in a few months.Special Features:
- A Go To...PleasePleaseMeDined on 5/11/2014When a friend from out of town wanted reservations in Alexandria for Mother's Day I went to Open Table and reserved at Vermillion right away. I knew that the food would be wonderful and that we'd all have a great time celebrating her visit to the DC area. We were not disappointed. The menu is creative and offers items for seafood and meat lovers equally. Our party had the wonderful pea soup to start, moving on to lamb and salmon entrees which were huge and wonderful. I had the scallop appetizer for my dinner and could not have been happier with the perfectly cooked scallops. Desserts tempted me but I resisted and settled on a nice, strong coffee. Very happy with the evening.Special Features:
- Old Town FavoritewkwjmuDined on 5/10/2014Vermilion continues to be a star as a consistent and outstanding restaurant in Old Town. The wine list is notable with unique selections and great pairings with the seasonally changing, locally-sourced menu. I started with the beet salad and then moved on to the succulent pork cheeks with grits for my main -- both paired beautifully with a bold white Cabernet. My date had the monkfish over sauerkraut - an interesting combination - the monkfish was moist and tasty. One cannot beat the beer selection either, his favorite beer is Allagash White and at $5.50 it's a deal!Special Features:
- Fun for Special Night OutForceMajeureDined on 5/10/2014We like Vermilion for special occasions. The service is attentive and knowledgeable without being overwhelming. The tasting menu with wine pairings is our normal order. It's fun and always something unique. Fairly pricey, so not an every week occasion for us, but definitely worth a try!Special Features:
- Tasty tasting menuHuckDined on 5/3/2014We did the four course tasting menu with wine pairing. The food was really excellent - lots of local produce. The wines went pretty well with the food but were not great wines and it would have been cheaper to get a couple of nice glasses. I am not a dessert wine fan anyway.Special Features:
- KittyDined on 5/3/2014Only criticism was that the special pork entree was quite tough-- good flavor though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.