Vermilion - Alexandria
1120 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Vermilion - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vermilionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7036849669x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday, Wednesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm (closed for lunch on Tuesdays);
Dinner: Monday- Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:30pm-9:00pm;
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: William Morris
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Entertainment: Live music every Tuesday and Wednesday night starting around 10:00pm in the Lounge at Vermilion.
A word from Vermilion - Alexandria
Vermilion features Chef William Morris' menu of Contemporary American cuisine. Complimenting Chef Morris' menu is Vermilion's wine list, named one of the top wine lists in the country by Restaurant Hospitality Magazine. Combining a charming location in Old town Alexandria with stylized design and atmosphere, Vermilion represents a bit of downtown sophistication: from the exposed brick in the upstairs dining room to the overstuffed pillows in the lounge downstairs, Vermilion holds something for all tastes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Vermilion - Alexandria - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Vermilion - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (126)special occasion (114)romantic (90)neighborhood gem (88)notable wine list (53)great for lunch (32)great for brunch (20)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (16)good for groups (13)late-night find (7)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Celebrated our anniversary2inDCDined on 8/14/2014There's a reason the President took the First Lady to Vermilion for Valentine's Day. We celebrated our anniversary here and had no regrets whatsoever. Our service, food and wine were incredible and the atmosphere is very romantic. We were greeted with champagne and a congratulatory note from the restaurant, and for dessert the chef gave a complimentary dish prepared just for us. Highly recommended for any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014It took a very long time for our main course to arrive, something that's never happened there for me, so I chalked it up as them having a bad day. But the server was excellent and the food, as usual, inventive and excellent.Special Features:
- Great!BozoDined on 8/13/2014We'll be back bringing friends. Open Table wants me to flesh this out to at least 50 characters.Special Features:
- One of Old Town's BestWannaBfoodieDined on 8/13/2014My husband and I had gone a few weeks ago for our anniversary and enjoyed the tasting menu with wine pairing. Then I took my team from work there for restaurant week lunch. So delicious and love the sustainability of the menu. Vermilion will always be one of my favorite restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- Food : good, service : really slowNishaDined on 8/13/2014After we were seated, our server did not acknowledge us for 15 minutes. She then dropped off water and then said she would be back in a few minutes to take our orders. When she did come back, I told her we were in a hurry, and to just pack our desserts to go. She didn't get the hint. When she served us our entrees, she said she had just put in the desserts and they would be out shortly. Shortly meant 5 minutes after they cleared our plates, then we waited another 10 minutes for our check and another 15 minutes to process our bills. The food was great, but I don't think I can go back lunch on a workday. Maybe if I had more time on a weekend or evening.Special Features:
- Review of after dinner cocktailsDiner86Dined on 8/9/2014We went here on a Saturday night, so my review is confined to cocktails and the limited late night menu. The craft cocktails were creative and quite enjoyable. They change them each month to ensure variety and highlight seasonal, fresh ingredients. Among the four members of my party, I think we tried six cocktails. All were well made. The ambience was great, too. There were enough people around to evidence popularity, but we could hear each other without shouting. I think we must have picked the two dud items on the late night menu, though. This "dud" review came after a few of their wonderful drinks, when we usually are not very picky about food. Their regular menu looked very appetizing, though. I would like to return to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie worthyManInMotionDined on 8/9/2014Nice ambience: handsome bar; decor highlights Old Town detail. Were seated at a quiet upstairs table. Nice menu selections, excellent treatment and plating. Attentive staff: kitchen presented an on-the-house taste sampling (food allergy appropriate); waiter helped with wine pairing - consistent brand awareness. Top-notch chef presence evident throughout. Very pleased with Vermilion as my choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014We ended up eating at the bar with small plates, byt each one was great ! We had an excellent hanger steak, calamari and the hush puppies, we could have had the whole appetizer menu ! Much appreciated and excellent quality !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok foodplatoalabocaDined on 8/6/2014The ambiance and service were both quite good but the food was a disappointment. We had the tasting menu and started well with a beet salad. The next two courses had issues. The fish was way overcooked and the pork was under seasoned. The dessert was good but by then the meal had taken a wrong turn. The dishes were all well conceived, someone knows what they are doing, but the chef that day was just off.Special Features:
- Unique Menu!NYCDine10280Dined on 8/3/2014Vermilion is a fantastic restaurant with even better deserts. Service was very good and the ambiance/decor are very warm and welcoming. Perfect spot for entertaining clients.Special Features:
- Food not so flavourful!ViennaFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Was disappointed in the taste of the food. It was bland and not flavourful. Also green beans seemed to be added to many of the courses. Presentation was nice. Portions were small. I wouldn't return.Special Features:
- ExcellentAlexandriaResidentDined on 7/28/2014Had dinner on a Monday night for our one-month wedding anniversary. Food was excellent and the service really went above-and-beyond. Will definitely return in the future. Atmosphere was very pleasant and all the dishes we had were unique and delicious. Same held true for cocktails and deserts. It really made the evening.Special Features:
- special dinnercycle7Dined on 7/26/2014This was a special occasion dinner. It was very good food and they took great care of us. The tasting menu with wine paring was fantastic.Special Features:
- bgfcbgfcDined on 7/24/2014Two friends took me to celebrate my birthday at Vermilion. We agreed it was a perfect choice. Our waiter was superb and enhanced our lovely time with his warm hospitality and good food suggestions as well as prompt attention. We all ordered the hangar steak entree - each steak was cooked to our individual requests. Desserts were just the right portion-size. The staff even wrote out a lovely birthday card for an extra nice touch! Everything was wonderful and we can't wait to go back there -- we won't even wait for another celebratory occasion. You will enjoy the Vermilion dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SunriseSeekerDined on 7/21/2014The special treat from the chef at the beginning of our dining experience is always tasty, and a really nice touch. Food is ALWAYS TOP NOTCH! Best of all, this spectacular restaurant is just west of route 1 and east of King St. Metro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food- service was brusquehungrygourmetDined on 7/21/2014On a previous special occasion I had fallen in love with Vermilion. The ambiance is elegantly rustic without being pretentious. The server had been so helpful, warm, and accommodating to a guest with a long list of questions. And the zingy cocktails, inventive salad, delectable spring pea soup, and lamb, pasta, and fish dishes were remarkable. The wine list offered many delights. This time around I was looking forward to impressing some out of town guests. The spring pea risotto and mushroom appetizer was magical, but the cocktails and fish entrees weren't particularly noteworthy. Most disappointing, this time around the server was brusque, and that distracted from the warmth of the experience.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchCAP137Dined on 7/20/2014This place is just perfect for Sunday brunch. Terrific menu items. Sounds silly but the scrambled eggs are absolutely the best ever. I always get them when we go as they are remarkable. My wife got the cheese grits and baked eggs dish w/ chirizo (sp?) and mushrooms and it was delicious as well. Service is terrific! Ask for a window seat because otherwise the place is kind of dark especially down stairs.Special Features:
- A very special treatbeejpowersDined on 7/19/2014Vermilion is a nice place to have a special dinner. But it's become too expensive to consider for just getting dinner with no other objective other than to eat. It must be an event dinner now for us. Regardless, the menu is very nice. Several dishes in every category, lots of local(ish) ingredients, and it's always changing. The cocktails are magnificent. Lots of flavor and lots of alcohol. If I were insanely rich, I would eat there more often. But for the special occasion, it's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!fdwgDined on 7/19/2014Went there Sat evening for a birthday celebration, and the food and service were exceptional. I had a risotto appetizer and grouper as an entree, and both were delicious! Vermilion is always our go to place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, great serviceArlingtonCoupleDined on 7/19/2014My son and I ate here for my wife's birthday. All three meals were great. The service was attentive but unobtrusive. Appetizers were outstanding -- especially pork cheeks recommended by waiter and beet salad. We had three different entrees: grouper lamb and steak, all very good. And the desserts were among best I have had in DC. A deconstructed lemon meringue pie and a Nutella cheesecake. Finally they accommodated our gluten free preferences easily and smoothly.Special Features:
- Redd Celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/18/2014My wife and I decided to visit Vermillion for dinner in celebration of our 4th wedding anniversary. What a tremendous surprise! The wait staff were very friendly and accommodating. We were seated at a romantic table for two near a window overlooking the liveliness of King Street. The dim lighting and rustic but modern decor added to the ambiance. They served us with champagne, delicious potato salad hors d'oeuvres, and a wonderful dessert spread, all of which were complimentary. I really don't recall ever having been attended to in such a special way. Vermillion made us feel that our occasion was just as meaningful and important to them. The service and food were both A plus. We'll be back!Special Features:
- California GirlCaliforniagirlDined on 7/14/2014We've been to Vermillion many times and as usual the food was fantastic. If you haven't been to here, I would recommend giving it a try. A bit on the pricey side, and the ambience and decor aren't great, but the food is so good it's worth it, especially for a special night. The only down side of the night was when it came time to order our desert our waitress seemed to disappear. If we hadn't wanted the poppyseed fritters so bad, we probably would have just ordered the check and left. Otherwise a great evening.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceWonderfulVIPDined on 7/13/2014The food was matched by excellent service. From the bread to the appetizers, main dish and dessert - everything exceeded expectations. Loved the tasting menu. Tried things that I would not have usually ordered. Loved the beet salad. Desserts were amazing... wine recommendation exceeded expectations. We had fish, beef, lamb and pork. All loved their choices. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Flavorful twistsmuseDined on 7/13/2014We went for Sunday brunch and I had the salmon. It was served with almond foam which was a flavor surprise....quite a good one! Food was well prepared and presented and we would definitely go back again. Waiter was attentive and informative. This had all that I would wish for a find dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open your hymnals ...OldtowndinerDined on 7/12/2014Food tasted great. Straightforward dishes done extremely well. Two of us had lamb and two pork. It was flat-out one of the tastiest meals imaginable. But I am reminded of the review of many years ago regarding the BMW 2002 which held that BMW had taken the stigma out of overpaying for a small car. The portions are such that one comes for the taste and presentation and not in the expectation of a hearty feast. On the downside, we had to wait 45 minutes for our already-past-prime time reservation to be honored. I've never had that happen before to such a degree, so I am not sure whom to hold accountable. It is a small place and it's rude no doubt to rush seated diners. Cocktail menu was unusual and worth a trip even if not going to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Flavors!UnfortunateDined on 7/12/2014Each course that we ordered was flavorful and cooked perfectly. The service was subtle yet ever watchful for our needs. We recommend it highly!Special Features:
- SolidMumbaiVIPDined on 7/5/2014Good food. Average all around for a top tier restaurant.Special Features:
- Great service, delicious dessertsDrctVIPDined on 7/5/2014The service we received here was outstanding. I was dining with a friend who has a lot of questions about the food and the server was incredibly patient asking the chef her questions, more than once. The food was so-so. We loved the fresh ingredients and the story but half of our dishes were extremely salty and the other half were just the opposite. However, the desserts were FANTASTIC. And I say this even being a person who doesn't like desserts. By some miracle, we were given three desserts and each of them were absolutely delicious and inventive. Easily my favorite pastry chef in the DC area. Thanks for the great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous MenuMoSwimmer66Dined on 7/1/2014Fabulous Menu that changes often with fresh local seasonal ingredients. Very accomodating staff (we are vegetarian and staff always points out if there is any meat in prep etc). Nice ambience with gas lights and windows overlooking King Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very attentivelocalresidentDined on 6/28/2014The staff at Vermilion not only provided great food and drink, they also took great care to address my wife's food allergies and ensure that her meal was prepared in a safe way. Great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!GinGinDined on 6/28/2014Had a wonderful experience - so glad we followed recommendations instead of opting for something a little more "fun and casual" down at the waterfront. The service was attentive, food beautifully presented, and we definitely advise you to linger for dessert. A most memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialJasonDined on 6/27/2014Vermillion is special both for food and service. It's always on our short list for celebrating special events such as anniversaries and birthdays. Last Friday evening was no exception when we were celebrating our 49th wedding anniversary. We look forward to our next special event including a "non" day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we were looking forLaceAceDined on 6/27/2014Celebrated our 35th anniversary at a new to us restaurant. Lovely but limited menu. A lot of root vegetables on the menu! Enjoyed appetizers, wish we had had time for dessert. Fish prepared perfectly. Pork cheeks appetizer was a hit with my husband. A couple in tee shirts and jeans walked in while we were eating. I was surprised that they were seated as their dress did not match the ambiance of the place. After looking at the menu, they got up and left, so I guess they were not ready for the choices or prices here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgettable food, clueless serviceExquisitwVIPDined on 6/26/20141) Don't ask diners about the food ten seconds after it's been set down. 2) Don't ask me for my drink order when I'm very obviously mid-bite. 3) If I know more about your restaurant group than you do, there's a problem.
- Great foodPtmanDined on 6/24/2014This restaurant is about food. The grouper was excellent and served with artistic flare. Pork cheeks were superb. The service is first rate without being obtrusive. I plan on returning soon.Special Features:
- DanaJCDined on 6/22/2014Nice Restaurant. Solid in all aspects. Just found it to be a bit over priced for what you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsFeedbackCentralDined on 6/21/2014Vermilion, with its great location on King Street in Old Town Alexandria, never disappoints. The décor is warm and welcoming, and the food is consistently good. There is a very nice bar area for a pre-dinner drink, and both downstairs and upstairs seating.Special Features:
- EuropeanDined on 6/20/2014Food is excellent, our waiter Bosko is the best! Ambient darkish, better for fall/winter, not so cozy on a beautiful summer night. Tables too close to each other, could be more separated since there is enough space. Uncomfortable at a table for 2, next table so close we were almost together with the other two people there.Special Features:
- One of my favoritesBoomerVIPDined on 6/20/2014I bring my best associates here for lunch and dinner, and I have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed experience; won't rush backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014First reaction- pricey- expectations are high. Food was creative, different, pleasing to the eye;a bit short on portion. We were seated upstairs with only 1 other party, 2 tables over- had to hear their conversation. Explained it was spouse's special dinner/birthday to server. She was nice and (maybe a tad overly) attentive UNTIL we asked for the check- all plates cleared away. Server disappeared for over 12 minutes, way too long to wait for a check, very bad. Spouse had to leave the restaurant. When she came out with a candle in some sort of cake for him it really put a bad taste in my mouth as to the experience; she did not apologize for the delay. BTW: downstairs/bar area looks fun for that type of gathering.