Carmine's - Washington DC
425 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmine's - Washington DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carminesnyc.com/
- Phone: 2027377770
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 11:30am to 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 11:30am to 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Terry Natas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Enjoy Carmine"s classics catered to the venue of your choice. Our off-premises catering services range from a small drop off and set up for 20 to a full scale, off-premises event for 2000. Our signature dishes, including Carmine’s famous Meatballs, Chicken Parmigiana, Veal Marsala, and Shrimp Scampi, will be delivered right to your door. Carmine's Catering offers one-stop shopping. Our full-service Catering Division offers a professional staff, complete set-up and service, rentals, linens, décor, and venue selection. Catering packages or customized menus available.
- Special Events: Parties of 15 or more will choose from abundant, specially designed four course menus created by our Executive Chef.
Come celebrate your corporate event, rehearsal dinner, bachelor or bachelorette party, wedding or a just night out with old friends with the Carmine's family. We invite you to share Carmine's style! Abbondanza!
- Cross Street: between E and D street on 7th street
- Public Transit: Metro Trains information. .14 miles from Carmine"s on Metro Stop Archives- Navy Memorial Penn Quarter 701 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington D.C. 20004- Come off the train and head north on 7th street NW toward D street NW. Carmine's is on the right. .21 miles from Carmine's on metro stop Gallery PI- Chinatown 630 H Street NW Washington D.C 20001. Co
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Entrance to parking garage is on E street. Address to parking garage is 616 E Street NW Washington 20004. The parking garage has an elevator entrance into Carmine's above. Valet parking is available nightly after 5pm.
A word from Carmine's - Washington DC
Carmine’s is a family style, value-driven restaurant concept with locations in NYC, NJ, Nassau Bahamas, and Washington DC. Restaurateur Artie Cutler created Carmine’s with one goal in mind: to open a restaurant that would serve every meal in the style of an Italian American wedding feast, featuring extra large portions of home-style antipasto, pastas, seafood and meat entrees served on extra large platters designed for sharing. Carmine’s is the perfect place to casually enjoy friends and family over great food and wine, with excellent service, the way it used to be at grandma’s house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Carmine's - Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Carmine's - Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
245 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (206)special occasion (98)kid-friendly (98)fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (54)great for lunch (44)romantic (24)hot spot (21)notable wine list (20)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (13)great for brunch (9)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (4)Show More
- Sad serviceJennVIPDined on 6/24/2014My group of 20 had a 5:15 reservation before the Katy Perry concert at Verizon. We chose Carmine's as we assumed they were used to handling groups of people. Sadly our service was so bad that all the other groups that came in after us made it to the show on time. We ended up missing the opening act. We ordered a bottle of champagne, received it after 1/2 hour! Our server seemed way more interested in other tables than ours. Overall I just will not come back here.
- A Pre-concert dinnerEG11VIPDined on 6/24/2014Took the 15 year-old here before a show at the Verizon Center. The food was good and the staff was just SUPER nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yamsDined on 6/22/2014Family style - large portions; good for a large group of 8 of us, including children. We were seated in a corner/somewhat tight space. I felt at times the server kept trying to push us towards to the most expensive options. We ended up ordering a lot of food and a massive bottle of wine. The food was decent - nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceIluvfoodVIPDined on 6/22/2014It should not take 20 plus minutes for drink service, especially when three managers are standing at the bar. We actually had to walk up to the bar to get drink refills. Food was good, but the service was TERRIBLE. Our server was rude when she actually spoke to my party. We had to go over our order three times before she got it right. It seems that even with her incompentence, plenty of support staff could have helped and they didn't. I can't believe that someone can actually stay employed as a server given her behavior. She did not monitor our needs in even a minimal manner. The glasses were terribly dirty at this restaurant. We would have told a manager if any of them would have ever bothered to stop by our table.
- Nice, not specialclarialDined on 6/21/2014The wait staff was very nice, but so busy they could not be as attentive as I would wish. The food was very good, but not really special. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- foodie20Dined on 6/20/2014chicken parmigiana with rigatoni noodles and garlic bread was the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014I've been here four times and each time the food and service has been the same. Consistency is very important when it comes to good places to eat.Special Features:
- Big portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/19/2014Food portions are huge, not appetizing. The description of the meals is not correct.
- Spare yourself.FoodfitforfoodiesVIPDined on 6/15/2014Let me start this review by saying that I love the Carmine's in NY. It is a great spot for families- great food & service. The Carmine's in DC unfortunately does not have a single thing in common other than the family style menus on the walls. We had a 7:45 reservation and sat down a few minutes early. The server took 15 minutes to get to our table at which point we ordered drinks and apps. That order took 25 minutes to arrive. While we were quick to order & didn't linger (we only ordered 2 entrees and no salads/desserts), our meal took over 2 hours. The server didn't seem to care that we were looking around the restaurant trying to see where our drinks & meals were. The wine was undrinkable and the food mediocre. Don't waste your time!Special Features:
- Italian feastDieting11701VIPDined on 6/14/2014Very large servings of delicious food, good for a large group of friends or family. Enjoyable meal, but this is not diet food!Special Features:
- Good Food / Disappointing ServiceWhyweworkoutDined on 6/14/2014I've eaten at Carmines several times and I enjoy the family/group friendly atmosphere. In the past, my servers have been great. This Saturday, NOT at all. Our table was elevated two steps up and our server would not come up the two steps to talk with us. He didn't explain the menu. He kept yelling 'What happened!?' as a way to get us to repeat ourselves. The only time we got any attention was when his colleague that was not even serving us came up the stairs and suggested wine that he liked. His colleague was very nice and friendly, but his colleage wasn't serving us and luckily came back to give us our wine. There was a lot of yelling across our table by other servers too. Just pure unprofessionalism.Special Features:
- If u like plentiful ItalianMesseledoutDined on 6/14/2014Lovely hostess to greet our party of 5. Our servette was very knowledgeable re: the menu and wine it's. The portions are super gigantic; an entree easily feeds 5 or 6. The Carmine's salad is filled with all,sorts of goodies and properly dressed. The calamari starter was excellent; crisps but not greasy. The entrees, lasagne and chicken with herbs and vegetables were very yummy. Our wine selection of the house was adequate for the meal. I has enough leftovers for two meals for two people. No room for dessert. Street parking is available BUT READ THE SIGNS CAREFULLY SINCE MANY CONTRADICT ONE ANOTHER. Choose the one that's the most appropriate, since $8 for 4 hours is better than a $25 ticket.Special Features:
- lunchkliavoshDined on 6/14/2014The food was great! Negative aspects: the AC was blasting and we were freezing. Also, my fiance was given a glass with a lipstick stain on it. We brought it up to the manager's attention who was understanding and took took off our appetizer off the bill.Special Features:
- 061414Dined on 6/14/2014I picked this place because the family style I was bringg 8 teenagers for lunch of which 3 were celebratng birthdays.I called the week prior to find out if they offered lunch on the weeknd & was adv yes lunch is served everyday 11 to 3. I called back the day before & changed my reservatns from 1:30 to 2:00 & asked the again if they offered lunch on sat & was told yes until 3 explained I could not find their lunch menu online& she adv that it is the same foods for dinner just diff serving size. I arrived at the restuarant I was told they only serve lunch M-F. The MGR apologized &offered a 10% discoun or free apptizr. that does not solve the problem of the expense of the paying dinner prices for 8 teenagers.I picked this place for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oily and SaltyRyanDined on 6/13/2014I have been to Carmine's several times and typically enjoy it quite a lot. The service is always lacking--loooong waits for everything--but have accepted that as part of the deal. This time however, the food was, unfortunately, on par with the service. Our garlic bread was oily to the point that we each managed less than a slice and threw out the remainder. We ordered the lasagna as our main, and it was so, so salty. Afterwards, both of us experienced significant stomach discomfort, which repeated the next day when we had the left over lasagna for lunch. I'll probably go back next time I have a large group, but will definitely steer clear of those two items.Special Features:
- Very Good Food!foodieinthehouseDined on 6/13/2014Came here for an annual birthday lunch celebration for 2. We had a wonderful time; this was my first time, but not for my fellow celebrant. We had a great time and the servers were wonderful. Will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmine's is always a good choiceluckysixDined on 6/12/2014Don't let the food snobs talk you out of Carmine's. The food is always great!Special Features:
- Service seemed offAnonDined on 6/11/2014I'm not sure what was going on the day of our visit (which was not our first), but things just seemed, off. For starters, they initially gave us dinner menus even though it was lunchtime. When we asked for a lunch menu for our party of 5, they brought 1 and said they couldn't give us another one, even though there were very few other diners at the restaurant at the time. The food was decent, the usual large family-style servings, and we enjoyed it. But if I hadn't been to Carmine's before, I can't say that the service we received would make me want to return.Special Features:
- AwfulPartyplaninMominDCDined on 6/8/2014Food was quantity not quality. Service was horrible. We were told there were no menus so we had to order from posted menus on the wall. Shrimp with white sauce was overcooked, the broccoli was under cooked and the Caesar salad was so-so. This was the last restaurant that we ate at on our trip to DC. We had so many other pleasant experiences (Old Ebbet Grill was amazing as was Founding Farmers both at half the price of Carmine's). Chalk it up to lessons learned. I am grateful for the knowledge now but Carmine's will never get my money again! So on a positive note my husband enjoyed his steak but even he said everything else was subpar. Good for groups of people 6 adults or more who really just want lots of food.Special Features:
- AwesomefloridacrewDined on 6/7/2014The food was amazing. The location was perfect. The atmosphere was relaxing. Our waiter was the best!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014The food was delicious and our waiter was excellent.Special Features:
- It was okayOBX22Dined on 6/7/2014We were in DC and noticed there was a Carmine's. When we lived in NY we ate at Carmine's a few times and it was always good. This one just didn't have the same feel as the NY restaurant. Food was good but very pricey for what it was - even factoring in the large quantities. The bread basket was cold - almost like they kept it in the fridge - and was served without any butter or olive oil (delivered after asking). It was okay.Special Features:
- Great foodmeatballsdadDined on 6/7/2014Great food served family style. Try the rigatoni country style, it's the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice place!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014This was my 2nd time at Carmine's and I enjoyed both experience's. The 1st was a Company Event and the 2nd was a Dinner Date. My date was impress with the menu and with the wine choice. We ordered the Prime Ribs. WOW, the food was very good and tasty. I'll be back at Carmine's in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticCraigVIPDined on 6/3/2014Food was excellent. Service from Jenna was great. Everyone went home stuffed and with a doggy bag.
- good food, lackluster servicehappytravelerDined on 6/3/2014Late lunch on a Tuesday. We were greeted warmly on arrival, seated, and then treated as if we were interrupting the wait staff's free time. In an almost empty restaurant, it was difficult to get anyone's attention, and we were never quite sure who our server was and it seemed to change after we ordered beverages. Food was abundant and delicious, I wish the service was too.Special Features:
- Great FoodsassuDined on 5/30/2014The food and dessert were great. Large portion sizes. The women's bathroom needed to be better maintained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over the top service and foodglutenfreefoodDined on 5/30/2014I was so pleased to find out Carmine's has a gluten free menu. I went with my mom and not only was the food amazing, as usual, the service was phenomenal. My waiter even walked me two blocks to show me how to get home since I am new around here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/28/2014Not good at all food too salty too much too noisy so we did not understand what waitress was saying so we ordered too muchSpecial Features:
- Bring family! Too much food for 2!nicholjoDined on 5/28/2014Awesome food...but only go with a group. There is too much food without at least 4-6!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- back to CarminesJackVIPDined on 5/26/2014always pleased with the food and service at carmines, returned - this time with a three year old with our group. everyone satisfied with the food, service and cleanliness.Special Features:
- Good food, poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2014Good food, but loud, cold and very poor service. It took 20 minutes for our waitress to come over to our table just to bring us water. We were at the restaurant an hour before we saw any food. Our table was freezing.Special Features:
- Excellent service by Sasha!SeniordinersDined on 5/23/2014The service was wonderful and the food was between good and very good but I could not get it to 3 1/2 stars. People said it was fabulous but I would not say that. We had Ragu and Chicken Scallopine and have had better, but if you are looking for value - one serving would serve 4 people. The wine list was good. Overall the experience was good.Special Features:
- Too much foodtrynottocookDined on 5/23/2014Ended up here by chance while visiting DC. Would be nice if they had options for smaller groups. There was just 2 of us and we wasted so much good food.Special Features:
- Carmine's DCPipoca12Dined on 5/21/2014Good experience but to much food for a couple... Don't like wasting foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 2178 reviews are from the Carmine's - Washington DC reviews archive.
- Exceptional FoodPennQuarterFoodieDined on 5/18/2014We love Carmine's and often bring out of town guests here. this is typically a great restaurant.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/14/2014I'm from new York city so I'm a fan of everything Carmine! The food was delicious . Our entree was enough for 4 people to eat. The waitress was nice enough to pack the leftovers in a great take out carton with a Carmine's shopping bag. The salad was nice and crisply fresh! Loved it. I'm so happy it's in DC now!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2014Excellent food complimented by excellent service! Staff very attentive but no rush to order or eat. Perfect timing with courses. LARGE portions, just as advertised. Don't over-order unless you want leftovers to take home. I suggest going back often to sample the entire menu. We're there EVERY time in D.C. First timers might want to go with the Caesar salad, Penne pasta and chicken parm.Special Features:
- Hope you're hungy!snowfaerie11Dined on 5/13/2014This was my first experience at Carmine's and it was overall very positive. Our waitress was friendly and prompt and the restaurant layout is appealing and comfortable. I did not expect the portions to be as large as they were. When they say one dish can feed 2-4, they really mean about 6 (8 if you have kids). They are incredibly huge and a great value for your money. 2 dishes are more than enough to split between 6 adults with leftovers to spare. Note for those with allergies: their gluten-free pasta is made from corn, not rice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DinnerBlazeDined on 5/11/2014We dined at Carmine's for Mother's Day and although we have dined there before, we did not have a good experience. The service was not good at all and the food was not hot. Maybe they were under stress because of the crowd but I expected more.I would recommend this to a friend.