Carmine's - Washington DC
425 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmine's - Washington DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carminesnyc.com/
- Phone: 2027377770
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 11:30am to 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 11:30am to 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Terry Natas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Enjoy Carmine"s classics catered to the venue of your choice. Our off-premises catering services range from a small drop off and set up for 20 to a full scale, off-premises event for 2000. Our signature dishes, including Carmine’s famous Meatballs, Chicken Parmigiana, Veal Marsala, and Shrimp Scampi, will be delivered right to your door. Carmine's Catering offers one-stop shopping. Our full-service Catering Division offers a professional staff, complete set-up and service, rentals, linens, décor, and venue selection. Catering packages or customized menus available.
- Special Events: Parties of 15 or more will choose from abundant, specially designed four course menus created by our Executive Chef.
Come celebrate your corporate event, rehearsal dinner, bachelor or bachelorette party, wedding or a just night out with old friends with the Carmine's family. We invite you to share Carmine's style! Abbondanza!
- Cross Street: between E and D street on 7th street
- Public Transit: Metro Trains information. .14 miles from Carmine"s on Metro Stop Archives- Navy Memorial Penn Quarter 701 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington D.C. 20004- Come off the train and head north on 7th street NW toward D street NW. Carmine's is on the right. .21 miles from Carmine's on metro stop Gallery PI- Chinatown 630 H Street NW Washington D.C 20001. Co
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Entrance to parking garage is on E street. Address to parking garage is 616 E Street NW Washington 20004. The parking garage has an elevator entrance into Carmine's above. Valet parking is available nightly after 5pm.
A word from Carmine's - Washington DC
Carmine’s is a family style, value-driven restaurant concept with locations in NYC, NJ, Nassau Bahamas, and Washington DC. Restaurateur Artie Cutler created Carmine’s with one goal in mind: to open a restaurant that would serve every meal in the style of an Italian American wedding feast, featuring extra large portions of home-style antipasto, pastas, seafood and meat entrees served on extra large platters designed for sharing. Carmine’s is the perfect place to casually enjoy friends and family over great food and wine, with excellent service, the way it used to be at grandma’s house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Carmine's - Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Carmine's - Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
246 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (212)special occasion (107)kid-friendly (91)fit for foodies (79)neighborhood gem (54)great for lunch (41)romantic (28)hot spot (24)notable wine list (22)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (14)great for brunch (7)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- So disappointingHonestlyDined on 8/8/2014I have been going to Carmines in the theater district in New York for 15 years and recommending it to anyone going. I was excited to see that there was a location in DC. I should have known when we entered and didn't even need a reservation that this was not going to be the same experience. We ordered the mixed green salad, the artichoke appetizer, lasagne and chicken marsala. Our server was kind but inattentive. The salad had about two olives and too little dressing. The chicken was not hot. The artichoke appetizer for good as was the lasagne. Maybe my expectations were too high because of my repeated excellent experiences in NYC. The atmosphere was fun but the food simply did not match my previous experience.
- Supper on SeventhGratefulVIPDined on 8/6/2014Portions fit to share family-style and great server!Special Features:
- HCMCDined on 8/5/2014We had a family celebration with families from out of town - and our waiter was so nice and helpful with us. We've been there before and will go again.Special Features:
- Not impressedluvgr8foodDined on 8/5/2014Went to lunch with a large group as we have done previously. We like Carmine's because they are not busy at lunch, they can accommodate a large group, and the family style dining is a plus. However, our most recent visit will probably be the last. When I told our waiter (Doc) that one of the orders was wrong, he apologized but didn't do anything to fix it. We were not offered a discount nor did he offer to bring the correct dish. Additionally, the red sauce that was on the dish was not good (others at the table felt the same way). Others in the party were not thrilled with their items either. I think someone said the sandwich was ok. The stuffed mushrooms were good. Too many restaurants in DC to deal with subpar service or food.Special Features:
- Noisyluv2dineDined on 8/2/2014The people across from us were very loud and the young lady had a disturbing laugh that disrupted the whole restaurant from enjoying their food. The table was a little rocky especially for the portions of food that is being served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Huge Portions,sj100Dined on 8/2/2014Family style Italian-American that actually produces really good food. Seafood assortment was done perfectly and good quality fresh seafood. Only poor dish was the escarole which was tough. Be aware that when they say the plates are meant for sharing, they really are. With an assortment, they can serve 6 people. Order carefully or the check will mount quickly and you'll go home with bags of food. Perhaps, that's a plus.Special Features:
- Surprisingly disappointedLisaDined on 8/2/2014Waaaaay too loud, waiter Waaaaay too new to have been given so many tables dispite supervision. A glass of wine I ordered took a half hour to arrive, empty plates remained on the table until we left and I suppose, since our waiter was so new and under supervision, it was OK to run over and shout "how is everything going?" every 10 minutes was their way of taking care of us to the point where I was jumping out of my skin.
- Mixed feelingsloves2dineoutDined on 8/1/2014Our daughter chose Carmine's for her birthday dinner. We should have chosen a restaurant that was more geared to just a few dining together. The portions were overwhelming. We did bring home leftovers, though. Our appetizer (mussels) were a disappointment. The broth was too watery and many of the mussels did not open during cooking. It was poor service to serve such a dish. There should also be more pasta free dishes to chose from as many of us are watching our carb and sugar intake. For our daughter, the highlight was the strawberry shortcake.Special Features:
- Fantastic as Always!sjb1Dined on 7/29/2014Fantastic food and great service, Carmine's never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off day?SurferVIPDined on 7/28/2014Generally, Carmine's is spot on. Not today. The clam sauce was runny and gritty. The waiter took our order and then we never saw him again until he brought the check. We had to ask other people for more bread and tea. For the money, I was very disappointed. It will be awhile before I return.Special Features:
- Food was fair but okay for a groupFrenchConnectionDined on 7/27/2014Went there with a group of 16 for a birthday anniversary dinner while visiting Washington from out of the country. The set-up, with the large shared plates, was perfect for us since we were a large group. However, do not expect that to generate savings on the check in any way. This is expensive for the quality of the food, which is fair. We had a trainee as a server, which happen to be a lot better than the experienced server which was with him. Overall, the level of service was fair and accommodating. Had difficulty receiving the wine that I ordered. Would recommend only for large groups.Special Features:
- Very tasty, very fillingFormerFedVIPDined on 7/26/2014Dropped in after a Smithsonian jazz & science show at the Navy Memorial. My girlfriend started with stuffed artichokes and got chiicken wings for her entree. I got the angel hair pasta with sausage and meat sauce. She took home half of the appetizer and most of both entrees and reports they were almost as tasty the next day as they were at the restaurant. Service was attentive, although the busboys delivering the food had a tendency to try to give dishes to wrong tables. We've ruled out Carmine's for pre-theater dining because of its huge portions, but love it for after-event dinners -- particularly when we've nothing planned for a couple days so she can finish what she takes home.I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014It was our 2 year annivesary. I wanted to pick out a nice romantic place. It very nice . A little loud but the food portions were really big whichwas a plus and taste great. The price is fair with the amount they give you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Before A Night Out!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014We went to Carmine's to celebrate a friend's upcoming nuptials. We had dinner at the restaurant before going out for drinks and dancing. The food was excellent! All of the employees were friendly, professional, and could answer questions about items on the menu. A great place for groups! We are already planning our next group dinner ... this time with our husbands (and maybe the kids).Special Features:
- Vamplires BewareKnowsGoodFromBadDined on 7/26/2014I liked the food and the service was very good, but there was way too much garlic. I'm of Italian decent and have grown up around Italian food my whole life and I've never tasted so much garlic in one meal. I think the stuffed artichoke was the main culprit, but there were likely others. It was so bad that my bedroom smelled like garlic the next morning.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/24/2014Everything we ordered was very good. We had 9 people and each order had plenty of food for all. It can get expensive if you're not careful, however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for large groupsSusanBDined on 7/23/2014Our group of 15 had such a good time at Carmine's. Good food, great service, fun experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JPGetsomeDined on 7/20/2014Food was great and the staff was very accommodating when I needed to adjust my reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is awesome!Ellen27Dined on 7/19/2014We had a party of 8 people, didn't haven't to wait for our table. The food was excellent and hot. The waitress suggested some of the entrees for us and it was just perfect.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/19/2014I have been to Carmine's in NYC and Atlantic City a number of times. While I am accustomed to the loud environment our experience in D.C. was very disappointing. We were a party of 7 and had a reservation and were seated timely. After being seated for 20 minutes we were never approached by a waiter/waitress. I had to get up and approach a Manager. He came to our table and apologized, took our drink order and then turned us over to someone else. The waiter seemed rushed with everything. We ordered appetizers and asked if we could order our entree and pasta in a few minutes. He came back 3 minutes later and rushed us through ordering. Our food proceeded to come out one course on top of another. The table was filled with plates. Just terrible.
- Fun gathering for 15 family membersTexanCiCiDined on 7/19/2014To enjoy the variety of Carmine's, one needs to dine with a group. I used the excuse of getting my family together to celebrate my upcoming retirement. I pre-ordered 3 appetizers and 5 main dishes. My family especially liked the calimari, Carmine's salad, meatballs, eggplant parmigiana, chicken marsala, and fresh sauteed spinach. For dessert, we had the "Titanic," a brownie-bottomed banana split with multiple scoops of chocolate and vanilla ice cream, strawberries, fresh pineapple, chocolate syrup, and "Cumulus Nimbus" clouds of whipped cream. It was a big hit, and we ate everything. My only complaint is that we were seated at a very long table so it was difficult to talk to anyone who wasn't sitting either across from you or next to you.Special Features:
- VIPDinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014If you have a big family I highly recommend Carmine's. The food is delicious and is very reasonable when split among a group. They also pack up leftovers to bring home. Extremely kid friendly.Special Features:
- Italian the way it should be...lisaopp21VIPDined on 7/18/2014Great authentic Italian Family Style!! We love Carmine's in New York and this was our first time at the DC restaurant. Food was soooo good and plenty to eat for our group. The Friday nite chicken special was unbelievably good. When you dine at Carmine's you feel like your dining in Italy with lots of good food and wine. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Carmine the greatJohnBDined on 7/16/2014We take a group to Carmine's almost monthly Always good always great service and always accommodating if we have extra people show upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too, too salty.....TwiceamonthdineoutDined on 7/16/2014The Caesar salad was wonderful but both of the main course dishes was LOADED with salt....almost to the point of not being edible. Very disappointed as we liked the ambiance and concept of "family style" portions and relied on the great reviews. Perhaps it was just a bad day for the chef and s/he forgot they had already added the salt and added more.....Special Features:
- awesome restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014The service, food and atmosphere were great. They portions are big enough to share for 3-4 peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014Eating at Carmine's is an experience. It is funny seeing people's faces when the massive plates of food arrive at their table. I have been to both the NY and DC locations & live this place. Unfortunately during my recent visit I felt like I was invisible. Our waiter hovered over a large group near us and left our party of 2 feeling like we were shipwrecked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!AndyDined on 7/11/2014The restaurant was great and the food was very good and we really enjoyed the experience and highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerHmvee69Dined on 7/11/2014This was my second time dining at Carmine's and just like the first time the food was amazing. My family and I enjoyed the Manicotti and Lemon Butter Chicken for dinner, and then I was surprised with the Titanic for my birthday dessert. The only down side to the whole experience would be with the service we received. It started out good, we were greeted as we entered by a staff member, then by a friendly host and then by our wait staff. However during our dinner, we barely saw her other than to see if we needed refills, but by then we were done with our meal and ready for the check. The restaurant wasn't that busy and she had two other tables within a few feet of ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge portionsBAYDARRYLDined on 7/10/2014Always make sure you have a group of at least 4 or a hefty appetite Great dishes and serviceSpecial Features:
- Nothing specialAMS1231Dined on 7/10/2014Went with a group of 8. Herded in like cattle and to feed and move along. The food was fine - certainly nothing special - the service was perfunctory. There are too many other food restaurants in Penn Quarter for me to go back to this one.Special Features:
- ExcellentKinderVIPDined on 7/9/2014We had Veal Parm. Perfectly pounded out. And Penne Ala Vodka perfectly not over sauced. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family MasterpieceFTDeMoDined on 7/9/2014Great Family restaurant and the price is right for families too.Special Features:
- BYOWG ( Bring Your Own Wine Glass)FoodfanaticDined on 7/5/2014The food is great, consistent with NYC 's original location on the Upper West Side. Service was a bit slow which is unusual. My only complaint is that like NY, they serve wine is a small water glass...bring back the wine glass!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of town guestsmjcgDined on 7/5/2014Went to Carmine's with parents visiting from out of town all agreed food was outstanding. Would have given service a little higher if - after ordering bottle of wine it was not simply just plopped on table for us all to help ourselves. Also we had to keep asking for water. Only one pitcher for a table of 8. Should not have to ask. Don't want to give impression we were not happy just needed a little more TLC. Lasagne, chicken pram and tiaramisu were outstanding. Will definitely bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring your appetite and friendschuckydDined on 7/4/2014Family style place. Great food. Don't go alone. Great for a family get together out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, Service not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/2/2014While waiting for my guest, I sat for about 20 minutes after being seating with no one coming to take even a drink order. I finally went to the bar and got my own water and iced tea. Apparently, after being told what happened, the waiter stepped up and was very attentive for the rest of the meal. The food was great.Special Features:
- Unless you want just quantity......srthngntlmanVIPDined on 7/1/2014Unless you are just wanting a ton of very poor Italian food and how it taste does not matter, skip this place. Frankly Olive Garden is better. Yes it is family style but unless your party all like the same dishes, you will pay for a ton of food you while have to take home or not eat. Service is slow and the staff not attentive. I had to poor my own water or die of thirst.
- So happy we found this place !RedVortexDined on 6/30/2014We wanted a pasta restaurant near our hotel to go with the kids. We probably found the beat Italian restaurant ever. The food was awesome. The service excellent and the portions gigantic. We took two pasta plates and that fed 6 people and there were leftovers. The calamari appetizers were very good. The main dishes were spaghetti meatballs (6 huge super good meatballs) and the second plate was an awesome rigatoni w/sausages and brocollis with red sauce. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Poor serviceFoodie145Dined on 6/29/2014The food was great, but the service was absolutely pitiful. After waiting on our drinks for 30 minutes, the waitress finally came back to tell us they were out of the ingredients to make the drinks. It also took her 15 minutes to get us the check once we asked for it. Extremely disappointed in the service.Special Features: