Carmine's - Washington DC
425 7th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Carmine's - Washington DC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.carminesnyc.com/
- Phone: 2027377770
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday 11:30am to 10:00pm Friday - Saturday 11:30am to 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Terry Natas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Enjoy Carmine"s classics catered to the venue of your choice. Our off-premises catering services range from a small drop off and set up for 20 to a full scale, off-premises event for 2000. Our signature dishes, including Carmine’s famous Meatballs, Chicken Parmigiana, Veal Marsala, and Shrimp Scampi, will be delivered right to your door. Carmine's Catering offers one-stop shopping. Our full-service Catering Division offers a professional staff, complete set-up and service, rentals, linens, décor, and venue selection. Catering packages or customized menus available.
- Special Events: Parties of 15 or more will choose from abundant, specially designed four course menus created by our Executive Chef.
Come celebrate your corporate event, rehearsal dinner, bachelor or bachelorette party, wedding or a just night out with old friends with the Carmine's family. We invite you to share Carmine's style! Abbondanza!
- Cross Street: between E and D street on 7th street
- Public Transit: Metro Trains information. .14 miles from Carmine"s on Metro Stop Archives- Navy Memorial Penn Quarter 701 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington D.C. 20004- Come off the train and head north on 7th street NW toward D street NW. Carmine's is on the right. .21 miles from Carmine's on metro stop Gallery PI- Chinatown 630 H Street NW Washington D.C 20001. Co
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Entrance to parking garage is on E street. Address to parking garage is 616 E Street NW Washington 20004. The parking garage has an elevator entrance into Carmine's above. Valet parking is available nightly after 5pm.
A word from Carmine's - Washington DC
Carmine’s is a family style, value-driven restaurant concept with locations in NYC, NJ, Nassau Bahamas, and Washington DC. Restaurateur Artie Cutler created Carmine’s with one goal in mind: to open a restaurant that would serve every meal in the style of an Italian American wedding feast, featuring extra large portions of home-style antipasto, pastas, seafood and meat entrees served on extra large platters designed for sharing. Carmine’s is the perfect place to casually enjoy friends and family over great food and wine, with excellent service, the way it used to be at grandma’s house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Carmine's - Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Penn Quarter ›
Carmine's - Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
246 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (212)special occasion (107)kid-friendly (91)fit for foodies (79)neighborhood gem (54)great for lunch (41)romantic (28)hot spot (24)notable wine list (22)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (14)great for brunch (7)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- quick bite to eatGirlsnightDined on 9/20/2014well not so quick but the quality of the food made up for the slowness. our waiter was great.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!YummyDined on 9/19/2014Awesome meal. The service was fabulous. Our server took great care of us. She knew the menu so well and helped us determine what we should have for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Slow Serviceartboy40Dined on 9/19/2014The food was excellent. My mom always said to start a conversation about anything with a positive first. The service was good, but it was extremely slow. I was very surprised. There was a huge amount of staff available. The wait on the food, desert, and the check took away from the meal and the great atmosphere. MonteraSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall excellent food and valueOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/15/2014I've eaten here a few times over the past year, and have eaten at the NYC location as well. Consistent every time, with overall excellent southern Italian food. Large portions meant for groups or really big eaters. Wine selection is small, but good and reasonably priced. This time we had the baked clams, linguine with white clam sauce, chicken parm, and garlic bread with cheese. I would recommend all of these without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodTangiChroniclesDined on 9/14/2014Omg the food was so good, I could have licked the plate! The chicken parmigiano (sp) was the best Ive ever had. If you like frozen drinks, order the blood orange Margarita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Style ItalianEGMoodouDined on 9/13/2014Carmine's does family style Italian right, with great tasting dishes that never leave you hungry and a selection with enough to please any group.Special Features:
- Great food. Horrendous ServiceengelbDined on 9/13/2014Having been to both Carmines in NYC, and Tropicana many times, we expected Carmines in DC to live up to the same standard. The food was excellent, but the service was by far the worst we have experienced. Gemma, our server, was not up to the Carmines standard in quality service. It took us about 20 minutes to be greeted once we were seated. It took another 15 minutes for our drinks to arrive. We asked for more bread and some olive oil, which we received neither of. We had to get our own plates and napkins from server station. Our food was brought to the wrong table, and while we understand this was the runners fault, there was no apology, only more of a delay. We ordered additional drinks that did not arrive until after we were done eating.Special Features:
- Wonderful !!CharmedDined on 9/13/2014The service was great, the food was great and the atmosphere was wonderful.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food! Fantastic Service!CapHillDinerDined on 9/7/2014We were looking for a place that could accomodate 8 people around lunch time on a Sunday. With so many, the usual brunch places were unavailable, so we decided to try Carmines. The food was fantastic! Try the Lobster Organetto! Our server was perfect! Attentive and charming!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the moneyarexhDined on 9/6/2014The food here is a step below Olive Garden. We will not be returning to this restaurant.Special Features:
- great lunch GREAT valueNotAChefVIPDined on 9/5/2014Carmine's is perfect for a place to work over lunch. We were seated at a large table even though it was just 4 of us so we had generous space to eat and work. We split a delicious roasted vegatable salad and a seafood pasta special. I have found that even though Carmine's has a huge menu that doesn't change it is alway good to try the daily salad and pasta specials. They are always a delicious treat. The best part -- we divided the check and it was $16 per person -- and we all had enough leftovers for dinner!Special Features:
- Thursday night specialSusanVIPDined on 9/4/2014I would recommend the Thursday night beef tenderloin special, it is delicious. You get a huge platter of tenderloin, potatoes, and vegies. It is priced around $80 but easily feeds 4-6. I have not had a bad meal at Carmines, but this was a special treat.Special Features:
- Not good. Not like carmine Nyc.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014The food was not good and the service was worse. The waiters handling too many tables not well staffed. The food was not like other Carmine's and was a big disappointment.
- Brittney Was FABULOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/31/2014Although our bill was overcharged, BRITTNEY was the greatest server EVER! She had an entire section by herself, and our party of 10! The young lady didn't miss a beat!Special Features:
- Great value - spotty servicebgdg73Dined on 8/31/2014The hostesses were not very polite or helpful. The service was ok but had to ask for drink refills. The food was very very good. But be ready for leftovers this is all served family style. Would be great for large families or groups. Overall I did enjoy this place and would go back, but don't expect top notch service.Special Features:
- Lots of fooduknelijahDined on 8/31/2014Everything is served family style and the portions are very large. Food is better than average and with the cost of a single plate divided by many makes it worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantidhiddenDined on 8/31/2014Although a reservation was not needed for the time we arrived, the staff were polite and friendly, and seated us quickly. Picky eaters in large groups are a challenge to please since the entrees are family-style, but the rest of our group was very pleased with the food. Portion descriptions are a little misleading...sounded like we ordered to little, but we all left STUFFED!!! (Serves 4 really served 6)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time it wasn't excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014First, the bad part... Ordered chicken parm on a bed of linguini. Chicken was excellent, but there was at least an inch of pasta water on the plate. Our server was not pleased at all that it happened, but we just don't send things back to a kitchen. Now the good part... She sent the manager over and he saw the issue right away and agreed without question. He offered to have a new one made, but the chicken was ok to eat so we declined the offer. We finished the chicken and had our wine (by the way, the magnum of the house red is fine). When we got the check, the manager had comped the food and only charged for the wine. This is the first time we've had an issue at Carmine's. Totally a class handling of the issue!!! Back in May again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service wasn't greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014Had to ask repeatedly to get cheese, olive oil, etc. the people who cleaned the tables seemed to respond more than the waitressSpecial Features:
- Good food, good for groupsBekLoverDined on 8/29/2014I was hesitating to go after reading some reviews. .. it was good. Staff was nice. Food was good. 8 of us in our party. No problems at all. So go and enjoy .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of foodTerryDined on 8/29/2014Good food and attentive servers. Great for our group of 6. We got three entrees and had just a little left over. Meatballs are delicious!Special Features:
- Always expect the bestSmlambertDined on 8/25/2014We have visited the New York Carmine's and made reservations in DC because of our pas t experiences. This location was as wonderful as all our past visits. Service and food were impeccable. Wonderful flavors and top quality foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Choice for Birthday DinnerNandTinDCDined on 8/22/2014I took my husband to Carmine's to celebrate his 29th birthday. We were both extremely disappointed by the less-than-stellar service here. We were seated at a 2-top table next to the very loud bar and a table with 2 children who kept running into my chair and kicking my purse. We then sat idly for about 10 minutes until someone dropped off a basket of cold bread without ever acknowledging us. We waited a few more minutes until our server came by (she was engaged in a lively conversation with the table next to us for much of that time). When we let her know we were there to celebrate a birthday, she said "ok." Had this been a Tuesday night, it may have been fine, but I do not recommend Carmine's for any kind of special occasion.Special Features:
- Yum!DCEatsDined on 8/22/2014Took a group of 10 teens for a birthday dinner and it could not have gone better. We were seated immediately(we did have a reservation), and had previewed the family-style menu ahead of time, so already knew our order. Our waiter was very friendly(his first baby had just been born days ago and he had adorable pictures to show us!). Order started coming out within MINUTES. We got the caesar and garden salads (delicious for both--love the dressings) and garlic bread (best garlic bread I've ever had and I DON'T EVEN LIKE GARLIC BREAD!). Then we dined on the penne and meatballs (with extra meatballs - - also delish) and penne alla vodka. Was not a big fan of the penne alla vodka - too garlicky/overcooked, IMO. All in all, definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Consistently reliableSMLDDined on 8/19/2014I am a big fan of the linguine or angel hair pasta with the white clam sauce. Also worthy are two consistently good appetizers: Calamari, Spicy Scarpariello Wings, and the Carmines chopped salad!Special Features:
- Great food, terrible dessert.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014The plates are huge! So you only need 1 for 3 or 4 people. I can't remember the name of my dish, but it was chicken spinach and potatoes. It was delicious! Very impressed. However, I'm disappointed in dessert. I got the cheesecake and the waiter made it sound good, and asked if I wanted a half or whole. Thinking he was talking slices, I ordered the whole. To my surprise I received an entire cheesecake that cost $23! And to make it worse, the cheesecake was nasty. If you go, I suggest to sticking to the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food poor serviceDcdiner2Dined on 8/17/2014The food was very delectable however the service by our waiter Patrick was poor. I expected the service to be exceptional like my previous visits. I brought my parents and had been raving on the food & service but we did get the service I expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carmine'sMimiDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food and service Large portions so worth the price Just a nice place to go toSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its our Special Occasion go toAfanDined on 8/15/2014This is the third time this year that we have visited Carmine's. My family went for my birthday, Mother's Day and an evening out with friends. We went last year for a celebration for my husband. This is our family "go to" spot. It is kid friendly. The servers are too nice for words and the ambiance is fantastic. The most outstanding part of the experience is the food! It is seasoned to perfection. Although great quantities of food are provided; it is always well seasoned with herbs and spices and tastes like it was prepared just for the individual with care and attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & Huge PortionsPepperfoodieDined on 8/14/2014Family style restaurant with excellent service. Vibrant ambience with a unnoticeable noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingGlutenFreeDined on 8/14/2014This restaurant does not handle gluten free dining well. Although they have a gluten sensitive menu, the waiter put the wrong order in for our appetizer. When I asked the server (different from the waiter) if these were the gluten free appetizer that I ordered, he replied yes and left. I didn't think it was right, so I had to track down the waiter to ask if this was indeed what I ordered. It was not. He apologized, but it seemed quite insincere. Otherwise the service is poor; we had to track down the waiter several times. The food was okay at best. Bucca de Beppa does this same type of food much better. I would not recommend Carmine's.
- Quantity yes, quality noJujayDined on 8/13/2014I was disappointed with the restaurant when I went there for restaurant week. There were 3 of us for lunch & the place was quite empty. One would think you would get better service as there was no rush- but that was not so. The server took her time & the waiters seemed to be on break as there was a very lax atmosphere- no one coming to check on us. As for the food-- yes quantity for sure. Salads- too generic, main dishes- only the vodka sauce dish was good, dessert- tiramisu had the worst cream topping- didn't seem like fresh cream-- more like Cool Whip. I will not go back.Special Features:
- DeliciousFoodieTDined on 8/12/2014Exceptional service by the wait staff, be prepared to take the leftovers home because the portions are huge, the ambiance is very nice and the Tiramusu cake is wonderful...Bon A petite!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A trusted place to eat and rest.shipbottom109Dined on 8/12/2014I eat at Carmine's with my girls as I can always trust that the food will be good and the restaurant will be clean and safe. We are regulars at the NY 42nd. St. and DC locations. My girls now ask will we be eating at Carmine's? I feel so good about your restaurant that I have now told my 12 year old to go to Carmine's( if we are in the 7th. St. area) if she gets lost and I will find her. I ALWAYS SUGGEST CARMINE'S FOR FAMILY/FRIEND DINNERS when traveling, because of your warm atmosphere,good food and reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Carmine's is the perfect place for a family or friends night out. Family style food with that amazing homecooked Italian flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerFoodieDined on 8/11/2014This was not my first time at Carmine's, I choose to go to this restaurant because I knew the good and service potential was GREAT! I was super disappointed in my experience this time. For many members of my party of 10 it was their first time, we were not greatest or even explained what the process was for ordering at the restaurant is. The waiter did not introduce hisself not did he even mention he had a trainee for the evening. Every time we had a order or something that needed to be refilled I was running around the restaurant searching for him. The food was good but with the service level being so poor on my friends special birthday event I will never be goin back. I am super disappointed one of my main places to go with group events.
- Great food and serviceHouseDined on 8/10/2014My girlfriend was excited to come across Carmine's, as we are from the NYC area. Just like NYC, the food was great. We felt like we were back home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Carmines!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014We love Carmine's in Times Square and have been there about 5 times for dinners. While spending time in the Washington area, we decided to visit Carmines in DC and it did not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatFoodFanVIPDined on 8/9/2014Carmine's is a dining experience not to be taken lightly! The food is great and plentiful. Everything is served family style; huge platters! Your objective is to bring a group that can all agree on the same item(s). The bread basket is some of the best bread I have ever had; soft, fresh, and very tasty! Great for oil dipping too! If dessert is you desire, the titanic looks incredible; a meal unto itself! Of course I have not taken on that challenge yet...someday! The service is always great too; very accommodating. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceMardyDined on 8/8/2014We had a good time at Carmine's, we were looking for a family style restaurant for a birthday party. The waiter was very friendly and had an answer for all of our questions. The food came out in a timely manor and it was very tasteful. It was an over all good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.