Evening Star Cafe
2000 Mt. Vernon Ave.
Alexandria, VA 22301Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Evening Star Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eveningstarcafe.net/
- Phone: 7035495051
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday 5:30-9:00pm,Monday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Lunch: Friday 11:30-2:30 pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 10:00-2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Jeffords
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Star Catering is a full-service caterer and event coordinator, committed to flawlessly executing any event that reflects style and personality. Contact Katie Musser for more information at email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: The upstairs No. 9 Lounge is available for private parties. Equipped with a full-service bar, the No.9 can accommodate up to 50 people at a seated dinner and more than 100 standing. Full menu and catering available.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 7033035423
- Special Events: For Valentine's Day the Evening Star will be offering a special 4 course tasting menu for $69 per person. Wine pairings will also be available for an additional charge. Our regular menu will not be available.
A word from Evening Star Cafe
Located in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, between Old Town and Crystal City, the Evening Star Cafe is known for exceptional food, friendly but professional service and an inviting 'retro chic and funky' atmosphere. Both a classic neighborhood restaurant and a destination for diners throughout the Washington Metropolitan area, the Evening Star features sophisticated and eclectic American food, one of the region's most appealing and best-priced wine lists, and two separate lounges.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Evening Star Cafe - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Evening Star Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (81)fit for foodies (49)great for outdoor dining (41)notable wine list (21)special occasion (18)romantic (16)great for brunch (15)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (5)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Evening Star ExperienceGinaDined on 1/19/2014Had a nice experience at the Evening Star Cafe...we were a bit late for our reservation and the restaurant held a table for us. We also had friends joining us late, and they were able to get them a table next to us. Food was good and plentiful--nice wide selection. Overall, a great experience. The restaurant is very small and cannot accommodate large groups--also, a bit noisy, so not really good for a romantic setting.Special Features:
- Very fresh good ingredientsMayr71Dined on 1/18/2014Always reliable. Cool scene young working proffesional crowd. Good wine list. A little loud with the metal ceiling and all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/15/2014Evening Star is small, and a bit pricey, but the food is amazing and the service is great. I love coming here for Restaurant Week or a nice date.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodChachDined on 1/14/2014Have been to Evening Star Café several times before. Meals and service had always been outstanding. Food this time did not quite seem up to previous standards. Not bad, but did not blow me away as it has in the past. Sides with the cod were difficult to eat. Brussel sprouts left a bit to be desired. Perlou was great. Beer pairings just so-so. Will do my own pairings from now on.Special Features:
- StarNaganaDined on 1/13/2014The meal was outstanding for Restaurant Week! We had a 7 pm reservation and I was very comfortable waiting in the bar drinking alone until the rest of the party came. The hostess told us to take our time and she would seat us when ready. She had reserved a very nice table by the window. we were celebrating a birthday, and the wait staff handled that very well. We all will return!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueJoanneVIPDined on 1/11/2014Evening Star is a good restaurant in Delray. The food is unique and good -- something a little bit different than the norm -- a southern flair. We enjoyed our dinner there and we happy we made a reservation because it filled up quickly. Thankfully, we did not have trouble finding a parking space. We like to try different restaurants and we would likely come back here again.Special Features:
- Southern SlantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/10/2014Excellent entrees in maryland blue perlou, wild tile, steak frites, and grilled pork chop. Everything has a bit of a southern cooking slant to it. Especiallly like the pei mussels small plate. Great beer and wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok foodalexandriagirlVIPDined on 1/9/2014I have a wheat allergy and informed the server of this. Unfortunately this meant I could only have the salad on their menu as even the shrimp & grits dish had a side of tomatoes cooked in beer. I asked the server if they could leave off the tomatoes and he refused. This probably has more to do with the chef than the server himself. My friend ordered the pork chop & it was dry.
- Excellent service!!BigDaddyVIPDined on 1/4/2014Lived in Alexandria 14+ years and finally made it to the Evening Star. Great experience and our server Becky was sensational. A little loud due to the tin ceiling and full house but the food was very good and will definitely return to try it again.Special Features:
- Didnt live up to expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013For the price wasnt good enough. Previous meals there have been excellent but this was pretty average.Special Features:
- Very delicious dinnerKKHfoodloverDined on 12/28/2013It was our first time dining there. We ordered grilled oyster, duck roast, pork roast and mac and cheese. Everything was so delicious including the bread and honey butter served complimentary before the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waitress was excellent!h82cookDined on 12/21/2013Our waitress was excellent! My husband was trying to decide which to beer to order so she brought out a few to try. Then she made great suggestions for an appetizer and for my entrée. There were 4 of us catching up on old times; it was easy to hear each other speak and we were allowed to spend as much time as we wanted without being rushed. Standouts were the brie appetizer and the duck entrée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mount Vernon TreasuremccoolDined on 12/17/2013This was my first dining experience at Evening Star. My date and I had a lovely time. The restaurant was just crowded enough to be enjoyable but without excessively loud conversations. The food was simply magnificant. We had 4 side each and all of them were culinary delights. The chef took time out of his busy schedule to speak with us after the meal and I congratulated him on his delightful presentation and extraordinary flavorful creations.Special Features:
- Love this place....SMfoodreviewDined on 12/13/2013Love the wine shop next door that holds the bottle for your waiter, love the hoppy IPAs at the bar, and always love the menu. Interesting and delicious food, never disappointing. Thanks!Special Features:
- Evening Star Private Party niteKeithVIPDined on 12/12/2013The noise from the private party in the back bar and upstairs pretty much drowned out the night. I understand the need to make money, just sayin. Food & wine were great. Service was almost great. kmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, bad serviceCapHillVIPDined on 12/7/2013I have been to Evening Star several times and the food is always tasty. In the past, the service had been fine too. This time it was not - the waitress forgot several requests (more water, coffee refill) and more importantly, to give us silverware. Everything took longer than it should and multiple requests. I don't like nagging my waitress so I would not recommend the restaurant to a friend.Special Features:
- FantasticDRayDined on 12/4/2013Fantastic food. Quality ingredients cooked to perfection. Great flavors. Fried chicken was amazing. Comfort food done with classSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!TrishaDined on 12/2/2013We sat next to the builder (Jim Morresy) on our flight into Pheonix and happened to ask him about a good restaurant in the area. This was his recommendation and we were so pleased. The decor was dark wood and comfortable seats, very elegant. The waitress was as nice as can be and seemed to really enjoy her job. The food was excellent! They pride themselves on local and organic Chef choices with good reason, we had the featured flat bread starter with three kinds of mushrooms and it was amazing. Everything we ate was over the top delicious. This place is worth every penny. A great place, I highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening Star Always a TreatMavenLovesFoodDined on 11/30/2013Good southern food interpretations. Good service. Eat early and the noise levels are decent.Special Features:
- Record of Bad ServiceAlexandriaDined on 11/23/2013I have dinned at Evening Star several times and service is inconsistent - ranging from completely unacceptable (we walked out once after our waiter/waitress still had not greeted us 20 min after we were seated) to mediocre. The food is usually good, although the menu doesn't change too often. We likely won't be going back after our most recent dining experience. The kitchen didn't have enough to make a full portion of one of the mains we ordered. Rather than tell us and let us pick an alternative, they sent out a half portion with another dish we didn't order, but STILL charged us the full price for the half portion.
- A tarnished gemAJKinArlingtonDined on 11/22/2013While the food has always been and continues to be excellent the atmosphere and dining experience has suffered due to the rise in popularity as well as the owners choices to cram ias many seats into this neighborhood gem. This is certainly no longer a place to go for a romantic evening not only because of the extreme decibel level in the dining room but also because of the striking eagerness of the wait staff to assist you in the completion of your dining experience in a "timely" manner. I miss the days when a night at Evening Star was relaxing and enjoyable. It also almost always included an explanation of any wines you might be contemplating and a "take your time" mindset from the wait staff. It now feels very churn and burn.
- I will bring earplugs next time.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/15/2013The noise level in this restaurant was unbelievably overwhelming! The food and service was great, but it felt like all the other diners were shouting at each other. It was almost impossible to carry on a conversation. The owner needs to look seriously at sound damping materials for the ceiling, walls, and floor. Great menu, excellent presentation, and OK prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently mediocreMJV1VIPDined on 11/13/2013I live in DelRay but find myself constantly looking fopr alternatives to Evening Star. Then I decide I haven't been there for a while and the menu looks good so I go back. I always walk away with the same impression. The food is consistently mediocre at best. Last night my friend had the shrimp and grits which were soupy and the shrimp somewhat overcooked. I ordered the pork chop and at 7:25 was told that they were out of it. Hmmmm? So I settled for the duck breast which I ordered medium rare. The dish was pretty bland and overcooked. The bed of sticky rice was also over cooked. I think I will continue to look for alternatives until there is a new Chef at Evening Star.
- really needs better dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2013really needs better dessert offerings. Don't really like the Bisquick apple thing. Obviously it has a great pastry chef judging by the biscuits and cornbread. Why can't they come up with a daily pie (real pie) or cake (as in layer cake).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-show DinnerGevans4503VIPDined on 11/8/2013We had a first-class, delicious meal prior to attending a show at the Birchmere. Service was excellent, and they helped us make our tight deadline. Friday evenings at the popular Evening Star Restaurant are vibrant and therefore, somewhat difficult to hold a conversation, but that is not a negative reflection on them at all. My husband and I will return and recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NighttaimingkaiDined on 11/5/2013Interesting menu with good food. This is one of the better restaurants in the Del Ray / Old Town area for a casual dinner. However, as is the case with many of the restaurants in this area, the service was mediocre. No host when we walked in. After about 5 mins of watching several wait staff come and go, we were seated by a waiter. Drinks took about 10 minutes, despite an almost empty bar. Appetizers were meant to be shared but the waiter (not our waitress) brought no extra plates. When I requested plates, he grabbed two bread plates from an empty table and said, "here you go." Our waitress was pleasant but not as attentive as she could have been considering it was a Tuesday night and the restaurant less than half full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food was well prepared,tastedLocalfoodloverDined on 11/1/2013the food was well prepared,tasted great and even the bread was I imaginative and true to the season . We had the pork chop, duck breast and fried chicken and nobody was disappointed. The duck lover was really pleased and the diner who ordered the fried chicken said it was as good as he had had in Georgia, which he considers the best. The only problem was the noise level which is hard to get away from in the Alexandria area on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!ErinDined on 10/20/2013We were in the area for a conference and decided to have dinner at the Evening Star. The entire meal was delicious! Service was great and the portions were ample without being too large. We had the duck breast and ribeye steak - both were cooked perfectly - as was the scallop appetizer. The Grasshopper cake was a lovely dessert. If we are back in the area again we would definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- Great and Simple FoodCharlieDined on 10/18/2013We loved our experience at the Evening Star Café. We expected it to be full so we made reservations but still had to wait for 30 minutes at the bar. Once we sat the service was relatively good. The highlight is the food and the décor. This was the second time we ate there and once again we left satisfied and looking forward to eating there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood favoritedinedelrayDined on 10/17/2013Great place to meet up with friends and relax. Wonderful wine list and great atmosphere. Unique seasonal dishes to choose from. Also love the bar-comfortable and cozy. One of our favorites. Will always go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were seated immediately,BriloreeDined on 10/14/2013We were seated immediately, our waiter was friendly and attentive, the food was outstanding and the wine was great. We loved the breads that were served before the meal and really liked the atmosphere. We will be back!Special Features:
- Bad Night at Evening Star CafeMemuDined on 10/12/2013Had no trouble at first--nice table, pleasant server with whom we discussed how we wanted our meals prepared. Something must have been off in the kitchen, because the duck that was supposed to be well done was rare, and the steak that was supposed to be medium (pink center) was well done. Another steak was brought out and this one was barely cooked. The third attempt was closer to medium but was still quite red. The duck was finally cooked the right way. The restaurant deleted the price of the steak from our bill and offered a free dessert, which we were not interested in. All-in-all, not a good experience. Caesar salad was delicious as were the corn muffins and sweet potato biscuits, but then things went down hill fast.
- Great Time at Evening StarMgillwaldDined on 10/11/2013Had a great meal at evening star cafe in Del Ray. Would definitely recommend the Baked Brie appetizer, was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Girls Night OutJustGIJaneDined on 10/5/2013Service was Excellent. They did not try to push us out or turn the table over, this is important when the girls are trying to catch up! thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small odd menu, very loudMDvisitorVIPDined on 10/5/2013This is a good place for people who like small trendy places. I went with my family and could not hear the person one away from me. There was only one entree that had food I liked--the rest had very trendy (that is to say, odd vegetables and side dishes) with foods I don't eat. . For example my daughter got a dish with eggplant and lentils as sides because she likes eggplant, and there was almost no eggplant and a heap of lentils, which she does not like). I got the steak which was ok but very very fatty. Again, it is probably fine for people who like this kind of food but there was almost no plain traditional food, so I am not the best reviewer.
- Like a diner but with great foodtrainerDined on 9/29/2013Hard to describe the inside except that it reminded me of a cool diner. The food, especially the fried chicken and the baked oysters, is amazing.Special Features:
- A bit dissappointingCharlieLDined on 9/27/2013I have had wonderful meals here, but this evening was not one of their best. Nothing was exceptional. The Tasso Duck Terrine was fine, but we had to ask for toasted bread to spread it on. Terrine just doesn't quite go with pumpkin bread and corn bread. The roasted duck breast was fine but unexceptional. The Salmon was the his of the evening according to the table and the Perlou turned out to bar less inspiring than the menu suggested and the serving of mussels with the dish seemed skimpy. The apple cobbler dessert was wonderful. The cobbler itself was not too sweet (an accomplishment) and the honey vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce on the side could be added as wanted. BTW one serving is plenty for three diners -- split it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingBrunchDined on 9/26/2013I had high hopes for dinner! While the service was excellent, the food was sub-par. The watermelon and cucumber salad was sour - far from balanced and the lentils with the salmon were watery and flavorless. The beer list was great though. I would NOT come back for a meal, but would consider having a drink there given their strong list of craft beers.
- Very nice evening out!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/22/2013This was our first time at Evening Star in several years. The food was much better than we recalled and the menu was more expansive. Our service was attentive and friendly. It's a noisy place, however, and it wasn't even especially crowded when we were there. Not conducive to quiet conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still A Must Visitgeekguy1VIPDined on 9/19/2013My son recommended this restaurant to me a year or so ago when I was down visiting him. I was impressed so much with my first visit, that it is now a "must-do" every time I'm there. The food is excellent and creative, the service is friendly and helpful, and the "wine list" consists of the stock at the wine store right next to them, at very good prices. However, given the long list of craft beers they have on tap, I've yet to order wine!Special Features: